Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Mario Williams will bounce back.

Blake

MMQB
As the poster who shares his name, I think I need to step in and make a positive comment about our newest #1 draft pick.

While I hear the grumblings of Fan A, and Fan B, I also realize that this is week one of 16. I will be the first to agree with you that Mario was a non factor in yesterdays game. I will be the first to agree that he needs to step it up. But lets keep in mind that this is his first full 60 minute NFL game. Lets keep in mind that the learning curve for a DE is more dificult than a RB. Lets keep in mind that as long as he works his ass off to get better (which he is) he deserves a chance to redeem himself. A chance to show the fans why he was taken ahead of the big 2.

Give the guy a chance. Its week 1.

:twocents:

R

real

The Texans orginization could feed some of us water and make us believe it's ice cream....

Texans86

Rookie
To me it looked like he was thinking extremely hard about what he was doing most of the game. That will always slow a player down. Once he gets completely up to speed and on top of things, I expect him to be much better. One week down, only sixteen left. Dang

Super Mario said:
As the poster who shares his name, I think I need to step in and make a positive comment about our newest #1 draft pick.

While I hear the grumblings of Fan A, and Fan B, I also realize that this is week one of 16. I will be the first to agree with you that Mario was a non factor in yesterdays game. I will be the first to agree that he needs to step it up. But lets keep in mind that this is his first full 60 minute NFL game. Lets keep in mind that the learning curve for a DE is more dificult than a RB. Lets keep in mind that as long as he works his ass off to get better (which he is) he deserves a chance to redeem himself. A chance to show the fans why he was taken ahead of the big 2.

Give the guy a chance. Its week 1.

:twocents:
Fair Enough.....It's probably unfair that he is facing this much criticism so early in his career. I think the reason is that we made such a controversial decision in drafting him over Bush, that folks wanted and needed to see something from him early. The fact that we haven't is a real bummer

R

real

LORK 88 said:
Heaven forbid a rookie doesnt play like an all pro week 1 . . .
He's not just any rookie...That exscuse would work for Spencer, Winston..yada yada...Mario was the first pick of the draft...He is not and should not be evaluated on the same level as every other rookie....

Heaven forbid the first pick of the draft doesn't show any signs of life...

Texans86

Rookie
Talk to Alex Smith about being the first pick in the draft. He was the worst NFL quarterback last year. Only one touchdown pass all season. Yesterday he actually came to life and started to look like an NFL quarterback. These things take time.

Mr. White

Retired OLine Coach
xtruroyaltyx said:
He's not just any rookie...That exscuse would work for Spencer, Winston..yada yada...Mario was the first pick of the draft...He is not and should not be evaluated on the same level as every other rookie....

Translation: He's not Reggie Bush

R

real

Texans86 said:
Talk to Alex Smith about being the first pick in the draft. He was the worst NFL quarterback last year. Only one touchdown pass all season. Yesterday he actually came to life and started to look like an NFL quarterback. These things take time.
So the learning curve for a QB and DE are the same now...Alex smith made a lot of mental errors during his 1st year...I expect the same from Mario...But All we've heard about is his physical tools and I have yet to see it translate on the field.....

Vinny

shiny happy fan
Super Mario said:
I thought you should have kept your old name Blake...you had an identy here then...nobody knows who you are now.

R

real

Battle Red Bull said:
Translation: He's not Reggie Bush
Im not sure what you meant by that...but no he isn't Reggie Bush...Reggie Bush was the best player in that draft....I still believe that Mario will help our team more in the long run...atleast that is what I am hoping...

Blake

MMQB
xtruroyaltyx said:
You act like every #1 overall draft pick but Williams has had a stellar first year. There is a reason the Texans got the first pick. They are a project just like Williams.

R

real

Super Mario said:
You act like every #1 overall draft pick but Williams has had a stellar first year. There is a reason the Texans got the first pick. They are a project just like Williams.
oh so we took a project with the first overall pick...don't make me laugh...

And you don't seem to get it...He is a human just like the rest of the players...but he was drafted #1 sorta like that david guy...He will always be subject to mass scrutiny just because of how he came into the leauge...He sucked yesterday and did not show much to be excited about...Don't be so naive and assume Mario will be a beast because Kubiak and CO. told you so....I'm not saying Mario isn't going to be everything that he's hyped to be...Do I think He will at any point be better than Bush ? Heck no...But I do think that He will bring more success to our team by strenghthening our weak defense...Whether not he was worthy of being taken #1...that remains to be seen...

powerfuldragon

Enchilada Aficionado.
Bounce back? he hasn't been anywhere to bounce back to.

all that aside, we've gotta give him at least a year to develop.

DBCooper

Outlaw
Contributor's Club
When Mario starts breaking some O-line fingers to shed some of those holds, he'll be on his way.

Blake

MMQB
Vinny said:
I thought you should have kept your old name Blake...you had an identy here then...nobody knows who you are now.
I understand your point, but my old username(at that time) meant something to me. Now-a-days it means nothing, so I figured now would be the best time for a change up. Kind of like how I thought this year would have been the best time to get a new QB. But thats in the past...

Vinny

shiny happy fan
Super Mario said:
I understand your point, but my old username(at that time) meant something to me. Now-a-days it means nothing, so I figured now would be the best time for a change up. Kind of like how I thought this year would have been the best time to get a new QB. But thats in the past...
i understand...I just thought that you were a solid poster with a good history and some of our casual fans may not connect you with your earlier screen name.

LORK 88

Wreck'em Ŧech!
xtruroyaltyx said:

Regardless of where he was taken, a rookie is still a rookie. Youve got to realize that this is game 1 of 16. Ill be honest, i expect A LOT more out of him, but this is a marathon not a sprint. Give him time, lets all move our hand away from the great big red panic button, and be patient!! Its not like we played the Titans or Jets too, Phillys O Line is good . . .

R

real

My question is: Did you expect Mario To suck? Did you expect him to do what he did ? if so then I understand why you all take the stance that you do...I didn't expect Mario to totally dominate, but I also didn't expect him to be totally dominated...

R

real

LORK 88 said:
Regardless of where he was taken, a rookie is still a rookie. . . .
So Mario should be judged the same as the last pick of the draft ? :ok:

S

SESupergenius

I just don't like the fact that he switches around so much and can't get into a groove. The fact is, he's still a rookie and needs time to get adjusted. I think we are prolonging that adjustment when he has to switch around so much. I'd like to see him be the next Strahan, but he won't do that by switching around so much. Yesterday he looked winded and overpowered.

Mr. White

Retired OLine Coach
SESupergenius said:
I just don't like the fact that he switches around so much and can't get into a groove. The fact is, he's still a rookie and needs time to get adjusted. I think we are prolonging that adjustment when he has to switch around so much. I'd like to see him be the next Strahan, but he won't do that by switching around so much. Yesterday he looked winded and overpowered.
I agree. I'd rather see him really catch on at DE and then move around.

Double Barrel

Texans Talk Admin
Staff member
Contributor's Club
SESupergenius said:
I just don't like the fact that he switches around so much and can't get into a groove.
I agree. I read a quote of his today that said he played nose tackle for at least half the plays.

Now I'm not a coach (nor do I play one on TV), but that just doesn't seem like the best way for him to learn the position of defensive end. :um:

R

real

If Mario doesn't switch around Peek and Babin don't see the field as much...Pick your poison...

LORK 88

Wreck'em Ŧech!
xtruroyaltyx said:
So Mario should be judged the same as the last pick of the draft ? :ok:
Ok please quit twisting my words or deviating from the point im trying to make. Maybe I expect him to play like a rookie because thats what he is which is the point i was trying to make before you took it out of proportion. Rookies make rookie mistakes which is why i think Mario got caught out of position several times. Was he overpowered or simply not talented enough to do anything? No, he got double teamed (not using this as an excuse) and wasnt in a position to make plays. He's got potential and thats what matters at this point. In the near future however, he will need to perform to the high standards fans have for him, but until then its a learning experience. Obviously, you hold the first and last picks in different regards, but did you honestly think he'd be all pro week 1?

R

real

LORK 88 said:
Ok please quit twisting my words or deviating from the point im trying to make. Maybe I expect him to play like a rookie because thats what he is which is the point i was trying to make before you took it out of proportion. Rookies make rookie mistakes which is why i think Mario got caught out of position several times. Was he overpowered or simply not talented enough to do anything? No, he got double teamed (not using this as an excuse) and wasnt in a position to make plays. He's got potential and thats what matters at this point. In the near future however, he will need to perform to the high standards fans have for him, but until then its a learning experience. Obviously, you hold the first and last picks in different regards, but did you honestly think he'd be all pro week 1?
LMAO...What is "playing like a rookie" ??? Did Big Ben "play like a rookie" ? Does D.Carr play like a rookie ? What about Brett Favre ??? Brett Sucked opening weekend....Don't keep repeating things as if they are fact...the old "he was double teamed" exscuse doesn't work anymore...Why ? Because he wasn't doubled that often if any at all....No i didn't think he'd play like an all pro...but I thought he'd atleast play....Did you think he would suck ? or play as badly as he did ? No one is twisting your words around...you said he is a rookie and he played like it....ok....what does that mean ? What do rookies play like ? You can't tell me what rookies play like because some play well from jump street, and some don't....Mario happens to fall into the category of the ones who don't play well off jump...Does that mean he will suck forever??? I don't know...But he sucked this past Sunday and no exscuse in the world can cover that up....

JDizzle

I'm a dude
SESupergenius said:
I agree and felt the same way before the game. Bob or Keith at HPF suggested that they save the experimenting for year 2, which makes more sense than asking a rookie to learn 2 positions on the DL. Hopefully one of those clowns on 610 will pester Koobz about it on his radio show later today, because now I wonder if they'll keep trying it given that it worked out poorly against Philly.

LORK 88

Wreck'em Ŧech!
xtruroyaltyx said:
LMAO...What is "playing like a rookie" ??? Did Big Ben "play like a rookie" ? Does D.Carr play like a rookie ? What about Brett Favre ??? Brett Sucked opening weekend....Don't keep repeating things as if they are fact...
Are you that oblivious to what a rookie is? Mario looked out of position, made mistakes, but showed potential aka a rookie . . . which he is.

the old "he was double teamed" exscuse doesn't work anymore...Why ? Because he wasn't doubled that often if any at all....
if you read what i said after he gets double teamed, I said Im not using this as an excuse!!! It happens to everyone, hes got to learn how to deal with it.

No i didn't think he'd play like an all pro...but I thought he'd atleast play....Did you think he would suck ? or play as badly as he did ? No one is twisting your words around...you said he is a rookie and he played like it....ok....what does that mean ? What do rookies play like ?
See above

You can't tell me what rookies play like because some play well from jump street, and some don't....Mario happens to fall into the category of the ones who don't play well off jump...Does that mean he will suck forever??? I don't know...But he sucked this past Sunday and no exscuse in the world can cover that up....
Im not trying to make excuses for Mario, im trying to defend him before your crucify him and burn him at the stake for not meeting your personal expectations the 1st game of his career. Did he play bad? Hell yes, youd have to be an idiot to not have seen that. Can he build from this and improve? Yes, which is the most important thing about this loss, that we move on and improve upon it.

Can't compare Mario to Alex Smith because last year's draft sucked in terms of talent. This year there was a CLEAR top talent - and it sure as hell wasn't Mario Williams. You think there wouldn't be a lot of talk nationally about SF this year if Bush had been available and the Niners still took Alex Smith? Hell yes there would.

Mario gets the scrutiny unlike other draft choices not just because he was the No. 1 overall pick, but because he was taken AHEAD of the No. 1 overall TALENT.

Like it or don't like it, learn to love it - Bush should have been the pick, and Mario is on his way to BUST.

prostock101

Mr. Big
1. I still believe that Mario is still a project but the entire D line looked confused most of the time and never seemed to figure out if they were pass rushing or looking for the running back. Mario got stood up most of the time and I never saw him use a spin or swim move or anything to try disengage himself from the lineman. Why don't they take him out of the 3point stance, stand him up and let him get after someone?

I should stay out of this one but I can't. What I saw on the field of Mario wasn't too super. He stood around allot DURING the plays. He wasn't double teamed that much and should have done more things differently.

But 1 thing I did see is just not right... I do not agree with who ever decided to move him around on the DL. That just isn't right. He needs to play 1 position right now and learn it. Then move him around if needed. I don't care if keeping him at DE cuts some other players time out. We are talking about the number 1 pick overall in a very deep draft.

I never said he has to get 3 sacks a game, but I do want to see him at least grab the jersey of the opposing QB once.... Heck I would have been happy if he just hit McNabb after the play and drew a flag. Anything right now is something....

But that is just my :twocents: I am willing to give him till the cows come home to see something. But this loss was not all his fault for sure....

R

real

LORK 88 said:
Are you that oblivious to what a rookie is? Mario looked out of position, made mistakes, but showed potential aka a rookie . . . which he is.
Showed Potential? where ? when? There is a difference between looking like a rookie and playing bad...He was an absolute non-factor...

LORK 88 said:
if you read what i said after he gets double teamed, I said Im not using this as an excuse!!! It happens to everyone, hes got to learn how to deal with it.
But My point is....He wasn't Doubled that often so you couldn't use it as an exscuse even if you wanted to...

LORK 88 said:
Im not trying to make excuses for Mario, im trying to defend him before your crucify him and burn him at the stake for not meeting your personal expectations the 1st game of his career. Did he play bad? Hell yes, youd have to be an idiot to not have seen that. Can he build from this and improve? Yes, which is the most important thing about this loss, that we move on and improve upon it.
I'm glad you anknowledge he played bad....I am sorry that you can't see that Mario needs dramatic improvement to justify his pick status...I know he is a rookie and will make mental errors...BUT HE WAS PHYSICALLY AND MENTALLY overmatched...It's cool if he makes the wrong read, or thinks it's a run and it's pass...but it is not ok to get no penetration no matter where he lined up at....Can I atleast see Mario touch a QB?? He didn't even get close enough to know what cologne McNabb was wearing....again I ask: Showed signs ? when? Warm-ups ?

eric138

Waterboy
It really isn't fair trying to compare Mario and Bush because they hold two totally different positions. Bush plays positions that easily bring a spot light to him when he merely touches the ball. Williams doesn't, he would have to continuously hound the QB to get the spotlight.

Also, if you are to compare the two look at the teams they were competing against. Cleveland's Defense and Phili's Offense. These two are not even close to being comparable. Unfortunately we are going to have to deal with the wonderful Bush until Oct when he nails that Phili brick wall and gets shut down. And later that month when Mario is cramming nailless toes down the QB of the down in Tennessee we will then see that Mario wasn't a bad pick at all.

One last thing, While Mario is building his NFL skills at all four positions on the line this year and even more next, Bush will be jumping and juking like a rabbit tearing up them knees. So four years from now when the Saints have that extra 4800 yards in their past and Bush is so worn out that he is retired who will be the right choice then? That's right Mario the super stud going for another 6 or more years, along side Demeco Ryans destroying any offensive scheme brought to them.

R

real

eric138 said:
It really isn't fair trying to compare Mario and Bush because they hold two totally different positions. Bush plays positions that easily bring a spot light to him when he merely touches the ball. Williams doesn't, he would have to continuously hound the QB to get the spotlight.
No he wouldn't....People aren't Dumb...We don't expect unrealistic numbers from Mario...You can compare the two...Bush had a bigger impact in the game he played...period...thats a comparison...

150 All purpose>3 tackles...all...day...long

S

SESupergenius

xtruroyaltyx said:
If Mario doesn't switch around Peek and Babin don't see the field as much...Pick your poison...
I'd take consistancy over trying to make sure everyone gets PT anyday.

R

real

SESupergenius said:
I'd take consistancy over trying to make sure everyone gets PT anyday.
Peek and Babin are our best Pass rushers...Maybe you missed the point...Mario, so far, sucks at pass rushing...Are we trying to win games or develop players ? Kubiak touched on this and he said moving Mario around may be hurting his progress, he doesn't know...But he said he is going to put players in the best position to help us win...And that means moving Mario inside occasionally so we can get our best pressure DE's on the field...Right now it's either move inside or take him off the field...which would you rather have ?

TheOgre

All Pro
xtruroyaltyx said:
The Texans orginization could feed some of us water and make us believe it's ice cream....
The toilet water at Reliant sure does remind me of chocolate chip....yummy.

:wow:

TexansFanatic

Extremist
Super Mario said:
What was the old screen name?

TheOgre

All Pro
xtruroyaltyx said:
At the very least keep him at RDE on normal downs and LDE on passing ones. He doesn't need to play DT right now.

eric138

Waterboy
xtruroyaltyx said:
No he wouldn't....People aren't Dumb...We don't expect unrealistic numbers from Mario...You can compare the two...Bush had a bigger impact in the game he played...period...thats a comparison...

150 All purpose>3 tackles...all...day...long
last year when our 2 win team won a game against the Browns our "no good" RB had what 90+ yrds?

How is it that Davis is not "the sheit" like Bush when he was making 300,000 a year and bring home 30+ more yards than Bush can on the ground. Sorry but until Bush provides the yards that he should be bringing in for that 50 Mil. or whatever he got he isn't anything better than Mario Williams.. That is comparable.

TexansLucky13

53d Signal Batt
PowerfulDragon said:
Bounce back? he hasn't been anywhere to bounce back to.

all that aside, we've gotta give him at least a year to develop.
Exactly. Props for that statement and for changing your avatar back to Chad!!

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to PowerfulDragon again.

R

real

eric138 said:
last year when our 2 win team won a game against the Browns our "no good" RB had what 90+ yrds?

How is it that Davis is not "the sheit" like Bush when he was making 300,000 a year and bring home 30+ more yards than Bush can on the ground. Sorry but until Bush provides the yards that he should be bringing in for that 50 Mil. or whatever he got he isn't anything better than Mario Williams.. That is comparable.
LOL...HA...Ok so Bush hasn't lived up to his draft status yet...and Mario has ?

Is it o.k to pay 50 mil for 3 tackles ?

Why are you bringing DD up ? lol

I don't even care about the stats...Mario making 3 tackles may be because other people were just beating him to the ball...What I do care about is him looking unimpressive for 98 snaps out of 99...

R

real

TheOgre said:
At the very least keep him at RDE on normal downs and LDE on passing ones. He doesn't need to play DT right now.
I disagree...Playing DT is easier than playing DE mentally...If they move him inside on pass downs all he has to do is rush the passer...This isn't a freaking QB we are talking about...I can see that argument being used for DC for 5 yrs. but this is a DE and most of his job is shedding blockers and finding the ball...That is not rocket science....

TexansFanatic

Extremist
Super Mario said:
It was DC_ROCK.(I think) DC was for my old band, Donora's Center.
I like the new name and the new avatar, but I agree with Vin. You should keep your name so people know who you are....

NRowl

Noob
I am not going to have a knee jerk reaction to one bad game. Serious question (I do not live in Houston and couldn't watch off season practices)... Last year in college he did next to nothing against top 25 opponents while playing with other first round draft picks - What has Mario done (besides his combine measurables) to make anyone think his is going to be anything other than an average player in the NFL?

That being said, I am going to root for Mario and hope that the people that studied his abilities and his past performances saw something that I didn't.