Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 09-11-2006   #1
Houston_Fanatic
Veteran

Rep Power: 1007 Houston_Fanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedHouston_Fanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedHouston_Fanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedHouston_Fanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedHouston_Fanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedHouston_Fanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedHouston_Fanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedHouston_Fanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedHouston_Fanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedHouston_Fanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedHouston_Fanatic is a quality contributor and well respected
Default I am Disappointed in Richard Smith

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/...s/4176968.html

Quote:
Texans defensive coordinator Richard Smith was not available for comment about Williams' debut or the defense
Quote:
Less than a half hour after the Texans opened the locker room, team public relations personnel reported Smith had gone home.
Quote:
To his credit, Williams stood there, knowing the questions that would come and understanding the ground he must make up to fulfill the responsibility that comes with a $54 million contract.
At least Mario and the others had the balls to stick around and answer questions about their performance, even though they knew it would be negative.

What a coward. I lost a lot of respect for the guy when I read that.
Houston_Fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2006   #2
Rightnow
Veteran

Wow. Maybe Kubiak sent him home rather than have him explode in front of the reporters. From what I have heard he is a rather "passionate" guy.

Even still, he should have been a man and taken the questions. It was an embarrasing performance by the defense.
Old 09-11-2006   #3
Cjeremy635
Overtraining

Rep Power: 31248 Cjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respected

I was not aware that he wasn't there for comment. Hanging a player out to answer the harsh media critcism and the defesive coach leaving is a low thing to do. However, there could be more to this story that we are not aware of. As far as Mario having to take the questions, it goes with the territory of being the #1 pick. You take the negative when it's bad and you take the glory when it's good. 54 million dollars will make you smile and take a lot of butt reamings by the press, I'd stand there and get chewed out for that amount of money. Hopefully Richard Smith was just so shocked in his defensive performance that he had to get a head start on game planning for the Indy game to save face.
Old 09-11-2006   #4
Stampede
Veteran

Rep Power: 10 Stampede is on the Pro-Bowl ballotStampede is on the Pro-Bowl ballot

Im not so sure about the game planning for indy part, but maybe there was something else in his life other than football that needed his immediate attention. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt for now, but it does seem suspicious.
Stampede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2006   #5
cuppacoffee
Resident Grouch

Rep Power: 45929 cuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston_Fanatic

At least Mario and the others had the balls to stick around and answer questions about their performance, even though they knew it would be negative.

I don't know what the circumstances are, but some head coaches want all questions to come through them. Maybe Kubiak didn't want Smith to be available.

Like I said, I don't know.
Old 09-11-2006   #6
Houston_Fanatic
Veteran

Rep Power: 1007 Houston_Fanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedHouston_Fanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedHouston_Fanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedHouston_Fanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedHouston_Fanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedHouston_Fanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedHouston_Fanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedHouston_Fanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedHouston_Fanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedHouston_Fanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedHouston_Fanatic is a quality contributor and well respected

Yeah, he could have had something else more pressing to do or Kubiak could have sent him home, but it still looks bad. They stunk it up, it was his responsibility and he should have hung around even if it was just to say "we've got a lot to work on". That shows leadership and our defense desperately needs it right now.
Old 09-11-2006   #7
DBCooper 
Outlaw

Rep Power: 97853 DBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respected

Coach K probably sent him home because he didn't want the soundbite to be:

"Bleep bleep, bleepity bleep, next question you bleeping bleep."
Old 09-11-2006   #8
TexanSam
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 29758 TexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respected

I hope Kubiak sent him home because that would seem cowardly if he did so on his own just to avoid questions. Maybe John McClain, Richard Justice, or John Lopez will have something to say about it in their blogs on www.chron.com

Thanks to Premier
TexanSam is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2006   #9
Mr. White
H-Town Beatdown

Rep Power: 18101 Mr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respected

Does anybody know if Troy Calhoun gave interviews yesterday?
We b trippin with Nelly. Me and Mr Dancing With the Stars Warren Sapp.
Mr. White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2006   #10
Soder
waterboy

My biggest complant is how we just let McNabb just sit back and pick our defense apart. :brickwall i dont recall many or any LB's blitzing. We cannot let Payton just sit back there, or ist's going to be real ulgy this week
Soder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2006   #11
HeartofHouston
Veteran

I agree this is supposed to be an aggressive attacking defense but yet i can only recall 2 or 3 blitzes the entire game.

We got no pressure on the QB and if this happens against Peyton boy it's gonna be a LOOOOONNNNGGGG day for the team and the fans.

I don't know what's going on with Richard Smith and why he was nowhere to be seen but he really should have been available for media questions after the game. On the other hand if there was some off-field issues that need attention then I understand.

But really do hope that he was planning for Indy cause we can not have this happen again.
Old 09-11-2006   #12
HomeBred_Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 12 HomeBred_Texan is a Pro BowlerHomeBred_Texan is a Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBCooper
Coach K probably sent him home because he didn't want the soundbite to be:

"Bleep bleep, bleepity bleep, next question you bleeping bleep."
LOL, I was thinking the same thing. I could only imagine what the Houston media would have done to him after that game. It's bad enough the fans are ripping his head off, the media would have wanted his footballs in a sling, LOL. But I do think we are owed an explanation sometime before they leave to Indy. But then again, sometimes we are owed nothing....

It wasn't the loss that got me, it was the way we lost...

Who didn't have high expectations, especially after watching our boys walk over them in that first drive. It just got me we didn't continue it....
Old 09-11-2006   #13
michaelm
vox nihili

Section: 648
Rep Power: 88794 michaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston_Fanatic

First of all, it's a complete leap of logic to assume Smith was cowardly and avoided the press when you have no idea what actually happened. What a freakin joke, and typical knee jerk reaction. Typical.

On the blitz issue, I don't know if it's true, but I heard someone say that maybe it is a standard approach to the WCO to not blitz a lot. I'd like to know more about how teams generally attack the WCO, and especially McNabb.
michaelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2006   #14
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 297218 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I am Disappointed in Richard Smith...
...because his defense sucked!

I could care less about the interview after the game, though.
Old 09-11-2006   #15
real

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel

dito.
Old 09-11-2006   #16
Cjeremy635
Overtraining

Rep Power: 31248 Cjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelm
First of all, it's a complete leap of logic to assume Smith was cowardly and avoided the press when you have no idea what actually happened. What a freakin joke, and typical knee jerk reaction. Typical.

On the blitz issue, I don't know if it's true, but I heard someone say that maybe it is a standard approach to the WCO to not blitz a lot. I'd like to know more about how teams generally attack the WCO, and especially McNabb.
I agree here. I'd like to know how that attack normally works as well from someone who has a better understnading of the WCO than myself. I don't see Philly games very often and don't see how teams normally play to control their offensive schemes. Any light on this subject would be appreciated.
Old 09-11-2006   #17
michaelm
vox nihili

Section: 648
Rep Power: 88794 michaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel

I almost started a new thread to say this, but I will post it here instead.
In the third quarter of the game, I felt as if the defense had given up. To me they looked beaten, and remembered thinking that Kubiak, or maybe Smith was going to lay into them for their lack of effort. I could be wrong. To be honest, I 'd had more than a few beers by that point, but I thought they were playing like they were defeated...
michaelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2006   #18
wrestler4life
Veteran

In his blog, it was said that Philly max protected. If this is so, then I am fine that we did not get pressure, but how in the heck did their recievers get open then?????
Didn't we have to do that, and we could not get open at all last year????
Old 09-11-2006   #19
Houston_Fanatic
Veteran

Quote:
Perhaps. But until I hear otherwise I was not impressed with him leaving and I do not think it shows leadership.

We'll see after next week what kind of leadership he has..........

Win or lose, I expect a better showing from our D.
Old 09-11-2006   #20
Houston_Fanatic
Veteran

Quote:
To be honest, I 'd had more than a few beers by that point, but I thought they were playing like they were defeated...
I thought that, too. Especially when McNabb kept having more and more time in the pocket with no pressure as the game progressed. It was like they were waiting for him to dump the ball off so they could react.

And yes - they played like they had already lost. And we weren't behind by that many points to be giving up already - they were definitely psyched out.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read