Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 09-11-2006   #1
TexansFight
All Pro

Rep Power: 2293 TexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Houston we have a Running Back problem

Even if Domanick Davis was healthy, I still believed taking Reggie Bush was the best thing to do after they decided to stick with Carr and not trade down and take VY (my #1 option) or D'Brick.

We have one style of running back, north-south guys who are more heavy runners and not the type of guys who make quick cuts and can dart through a hole. Good teams generally have both types of back on their roster.

It was clearly evident that we like a running back that is a playmaker and can bust a game open. The Eagles have that with Westbrook (when healthy) and he was able to use his speed to get to the outside and have some nice runs.

Our O-Line is by no stretch great; however, there were several times that I saw holes that were open but Lundy and Morency were not quick enough to get through them. This is going to be a major problem. I don't care what system you run, you need talented and fast players. That we are using the Denver system does not mean that we do not have a need for a talented tailback.

The most frustrating thing about this team is that it has consistently ignored obvious and glaring holes such as with the O-line and running backs.
TexansFight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2006   #2
flylikeaneagle
Veteran

Lundy is a ROOKIE. Remember that. They guy is really talented and will get much better as the weeks go by. Go WALI!!!!!!!!!
flylikeaneagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2006   #3
Mr. White
H-Town Beatdown

Rep Power: 18101 Mr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respected

After we lose all 16 games, maybe we can draft Adrian Peterson.

***edit***
Insert sarcasm smiley.
We b trippin with Nelly. Me and Mr Dancing With the Stars Warren Sapp.

Last edited by Mr. White; 09-11-2006 at 12:08 PM.
Mr. White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2006   #4
TexansFight
All Pro

Rep Power: 2293 TexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respected

I think he can be a contributor; however, we are missing an explosive speed type of back. Good teams have both the tough plodder and the speed guy. We just have the former.
TexansFight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2006   #5
texan279
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3367 texan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respected

Fact is our running game as a whole got stuffed, I doubt Bush would have done any better. I don't know what you mean about us liking a RB who can "bust a game open and is a playmaker", Kubiak never had a superstar type back in Denver except for Portis. Fact is our running game and defense stunk it up bad yesterday.
Old 09-11-2006   #6
Stampede
Veteran

Rep Power: 10 Stampede is on the Pro-Bowl ballotStampede is on the Pro-Bowl ballot

We dont have Bush...we dont have Vince Young...we dont have D'brick...
I have accepted these things and life goes on. Coach will have to find a way to maximize the players we have. In the mean time, Im sure that Rick Smith will do all that he can possibly do to improve this teams roster. There is nothing to gain by pondering what might have been. Lets support our team and move foreward.
Stampede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2006   #7
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 331516 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansFight
I will never root for Bush if he is a Texan and I won't be a fan of this team anymore if VY is available and we pass on him. He is a local kid who is creating a legend for himself greater than even Earl Campbell. I am a Longhorn first and foremost. Bush has been so overhyped it is past the point of ridiculousness. VY is a winner like Michael Jordan. If VY stays and we take Bush I will root for the Texans to win but I will never be a fan of his. There is still too much bitterness in my mouth at the lack of respect my beloved Longhorns were shown before the game. That is not directly Bush's fault, nevertheless, I can never root for him.
Never seems to have gotten shorter than it used to be.
Old 09-11-2006   #8
BattleRedRaider
All Pro

Rep Power: 19 BattleRedRaider is on the Hall of Fame BallotBattleRedRaider is on the Hall of Fame BallotBattleRedRaider is on the Hall of Fame BallotBattleRedRaider is on the Hall of Fame BallotBattleRedRaider is on the Hall of Fame BallotBattleRedRaider is on the Hall of Fame BallotBattleRedRaider is on the Hall of Fame BallotBattleRedRaider is on the Hall of Fame Ballot
Send a message via AIM to BattleRedRaider Send a message via MSN to BattleRedRaider Send a message via Yahoo to BattleRedRaider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stampede
We dont have Bush...we dont have Vince Young...we dont have D'brick...
I have accepted these things and life goes on. Coach will have to find a way to maximize the players we have. In the mean time, Im sure that Rick Smith will do all that he can possibly do to improve this teams roster. There is nothing to gain by pondering what might have been. Lets support our team and move foreward.
My thoughts exactly.
Old 09-11-2006   #9
Texans Horror
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 26 Texans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of Famer

I don't blame the ineffective running game on the backs. The OL was abyssmal in run blocking. They had few holes, and no lanes. It is on Sherman and the offensive line to open those lanes for Lundy and Morency.
Texans Horror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2006   #10
Tx'nFanLostInSkinCountry
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Battle Red Bull
Come on BRB it was the first game Please. Lets have some common sence about us. We had a very bad game noted aginst a team the that has a huge O-line and a RUN stoping Def. but to say we are going to lose 16 games is a a bit drastic dont ya think?
Tx'nFanLostInSkinCountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2006   #11
TheCD
All Pro

Rep Power: 1036 TheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansFight
We have one style of running back, north-south guys who are more heavy runners and not the type of guys who make quick cuts and can dart through a hole. Good teams generally have both types of back on their roster.

I don't care what system you run, you need talented and fast players. That we are using the Denver system does not mean that we do not have a need for a talented tailback.

Obviously you know we use the Denver system. The Denver system calls for North-South runners alone. No flashy backs, no fancy cuts. Just quality backs taken late in the draft who can get the job done.

This system has always emphasized the offensive line. The running back (whoever he may be at the time) is purely incidental. Star backs like Marshal Faulk and the like always cry and whine about how this system says that the RB doesn't need to be great...just good.

Once our offensive line starts clicking together things will work better. The fact is that our line was manhandled all game and didn't allow us to create many holes for our backs.
TheCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2006   #12
Roughnecks
Veteran

Rep Power: 90 Roughnecks is a quality contributor and well respectedRoughnecks is a quality contributor and well respectedRoughnecks is a quality contributor and well respectedRoughnecks is a quality contributor and well respectedRoughnecks is a quality contributor and well respectedRoughnecks is a quality contributor and well respectedRoughnecks is a quality contributor and well respectedRoughnecks is a quality contributor and well respectedRoughnecks is a quality contributor and well respectedRoughnecks is a quality contributor and well respectedRoughnecks is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by texan279
Fact is our running game as a whole got stuffed, I doubt Bush would have done any better. I don't know what you mean about us liking a RB who can "bust a game open and is a playmaker", Kubiak never had a superstar type back in Denver except for Portis. Fact is our running game and defense stunk it up bad yesterday.
Thats it in a nutt shell if we had RB he would have hit a hole that was not there then try to take it to the outside and would have lost 6 or 7 yards. The fact is we did not get it done yesterday what I would like to see is if they bounce back Sunday or if they resort back to last year and fell bad about theirself. The way I see it I did not think this was a playoff year and it showed and yes you can blame everyone the O the D and the coaching lets see if they turn it around.
Roughnecks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2006   #13
Txn_in_Oki
Lucky 13

Rep Power: 26824 Txn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak
Never seems to have gotten shorter than it used to be.
Zing!
Old 09-11-2006   #14
Mr. White
H-Town Beatdown

Rep Power: 18101 Mr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tx'nFanLostInSkinCountry
Come on BRB it was the first game Please. Lets have some common sence about us. We had a very bad game noted aginst a team the that has a huge O-line and a RUN stoping Def. but to say we are going to lose 16 games is a a bit drastic dont ya think?
I thought that maybe I should have put a sarcasm sign on that post.
We b trippin with Nelly. Me and Mr Dancing With the Stars Warren Sapp.
Mr. White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2006   #15
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 31690 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCD
The running back (whoever he may be at the time) is purely incidental.
I thought our o-line was purely incidental yesterday.
Old 09-11-2006   #16
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 55882 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
that does not seem necessary- http://www.gbnreport.com/2007projection.html

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2006   #17
Tx'nFanLostInSkinCountry
Veteran

Quote:
I thought that maybe I should have put a sarcasm sign on that post.
Figured it out after i posted then read some of your other post sorry.

By the way beerlover nice find in your post above. Dont think we pick in the top ten this year myself. YES you can call me a home town homer.
Tx'nFanLostInSkinCountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2006   #18
Sarg01
Hall of Fame

I'm not worried about the running game yet. It looked really great all preseason, so there's really only one data point of poor performance, and that against a top 5 caliber defense.

If you want to see a team with a running game problem look no further than our opponent this week, the Indy Colts. Yes, they managed a win because Eli stunk up the first half, but their rushing performance was every bit as poor as ours - statistically it was worse, we had 3.5 YPC, they had 2.4. However, where we finished preseason at #3 in yards per attempt (4.8 YPC), Indy finished #32 (2.3 YPC), and weren't even close to #31 (2.8 YPC).

Last edited by Sarg01; 09-11-2006 at 01:14 PM.
Sarg01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2006   #19
done88
Veteran

My impression was there were holes but neither back was hitting them. This is suppoded to be one cut and hit the hole. However sometimes the hole is not exactly where you expect it to be. They were running to were they hoped a hole would be and it was closed but there was a hole in a slightly different place. The one cut they make has to be in the direction of a hole or the run game will be non exsistant, Evidence yesterday.
Old 09-11-2006   #20
Texans86
All Pro

Perhaps Chris Taylor gets reactivated this week and actually gets some carries.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read