Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 09-10-2006   #1
WILLIEG
Veteran

Default Our Secondary Is Terrible--Ahmad Carroll.

One of our biggest problems this year is the play or lack of play from our secondary. D. robinson is the only bright spot, but I feel as if his coverage skills aren't shinning like they were when he was a rookie. Everyone else is averahge and that's putting it nicely. They are ging to be the achilles heel of this year. And I really wish we had the type of LB's that could drop into coverage and help out our secondary, but we don't. However, D. Ryans is going to be a great MLB, so at least that's a bright spot.
WILLIEG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2006   #2
DBCooper 
Outlaw

Rep Power: 127050 DBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respected

Then our front 4 need to get after the QB before he can pick em apart.
Old 09-11-2006   #3
MYDAUGHTER'STEXANS
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by WILLIEG
One of our biggest problems this year is the play or lack of play from our secondary. D. robinson is the only bright spot, but I feel as if his coverage skills aren't shinning like they were when he was a rookie. Everyone else is averahge and that's putting it nicely. They are ging to be the achilles heel of this year. And I really wish we had the type of LB's that could drop into coverage and help out our secondary, but we don't. However, D. Ryans is going to be a great MLB, so at least that's a bright spot.
It also hurts not having Faggins in there........
Old 09-11-2006   #4
The Dude Abides
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 39 The Dude Abides is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Dude Abides is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Dude Abides is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Dude Abides is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Dude Abides is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Dude Abides is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Dude Abides is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Dude Abides is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Dude Abides is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Dude Abides is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Dude Abides is a quality contributor and well respected

I saw little to no pressure on McNabb all game. That said, I thought Lewis Sanders looked terrible. Dunta only got beat on one play but he made some really good plays that made up for it.
Old 09-11-2006   #5
Grid
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2272 Grid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respected

Dunta is just fine.

He is playing as hard as he did his Rookie year, he just doesnt have as much help.
Grid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2006   #6
utahmark
markbeth

Rep Power: 8734 utahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respected

its hard for me to be to hard on the secondary with the protection mcnabb had.
utahmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2006   #7
YoungTexanFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1725 YoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by MYDAUGHTER'STEXANS
No it doesn't. He is slower than and less talented than Sanders and Buchanon. Believe me, you would be calling for him to be benched if you saw him play today.
Old 09-11-2006   #8
Texans Horror
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 26 Texans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of Famer

Dunta played an excellent game. He was all over the place. It felt like every three tackles belonged to either Dunta or Demeco.

That being said, we are going to be lit up if we can't rush the QB. The secondary, overall, is one of our weakest areas. Hopefully this next offseason (only four months away!) we can get an effective secondary through trades, FA, or picks.
Texans Horror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2006   #9
real

Quote:
Originally Posted by MYDAUGHTER'STEXANS
Sanders had a good game...We didn't miss Faggins...
Old 09-11-2006   #10
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 52212 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

only one game. we already knew that the Texans defensive short commings we're in the secondary, no big surprise there, Philly realized this and took advantage of it. I'd almost bet a beer that the Texans draft a DB in the 1'st rd. in the 2007 NFL draft. also they release Phillip Buchanaon

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2006   #11
V Man
Pumpkinhead

Rep Power: 19 V Man could be on the next Madden coverV Man could be on the next Madden coverV Man could be on the next Madden coverV Man could be on the next Madden coverV Man could be on the next Madden coverV Man could be on the next Madden cover
Send a message via MSN to V Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover
I'd almost bet a beer that the Texans draft a DB in the 1'st rd. in the 2007 NFL draft. also they release Phillip Buchanaon
I'd almost bet one that the Texans draft two to three DBs in next years draft. Not to mention another good LB.
V Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2006   #12
real

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover
only one game. we already knew that the Texans defensive short commings we're in the secondary, no big surprise there, Philly realized this and took advantage of it. I'd almost bet a beer that the Texans draft a DB in the 1'st rd. in the 2007 NFL draft. also they release Phillip Buchanaon
I think he is a free agent after this year..IIRC....But IMO, he is one of our more talented DB's...We would have to really re-load to let him walk...
Old 09-11-2006   #13
Rightnow
Veteran

Yes, our secondary is probably the weakest spot on the team. It is questionable if Sanders, Earl or Brown would be starters on most teams and definitely wouldn't be starting on playoff teams. Besides Ryans our LB core is made up of backups as well. Orr and Greenwood are little more than warm bodies in the position and certainly aren't playmakers.

No pass rush with a below average secondary equals losing record for the year.
Old 09-11-2006   #14
SheTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 29598 SheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtruroyaltyx
Sanders had a good game...We didn't miss Faggins...

I was watching the TEXAN/EAGLE game. What were you watching?! Sanders got burned all day. I can't wait for Petey to get back. Sanders can keep the bench warm! JMO!!!
SheTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2006   #15
real

Quote:
Originally Posted by SheTexan
I was watching the TEXAN/EAGLE game. What were you watching?! Sanders got burned all day. I can't wait for Petey to get back. Sanders can keep the bench warm! JMO!!!
I will rewatch the whole game and I will get back to you with a definite response...BUT...from just what I remember He played well...He had two nice pass break-ups that I remember, and I don't remember him "getting burned all day"....I know he was atleast not burned too bad in the first half....
Old 09-11-2006   #16
chuckm
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14 chuckm was voted MVPchuckm was voted MVPchuckm was voted MVPchuckm was voted MVP

You can put Deion Sanders, Lester Hayes, Ronnie Lott, and Jake Scott back there but if the QB has all day to throw ..........
Old 09-11-2006   #17
Texans Horror
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 26 Texans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of Famer

No defensive pass rush, and low talent (do NOT include Dunta in that statement) in the secondary. At least this year we don't play any teams known for passing offenses (Philly, Indy, Dallas, Jax). Oh, snap...

Texans Horror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2006   #18
jdog
All Pro

Rep Power: 16 jdog could be on the next Madden coverjdog could be on the next Madden coverjdog could be on the next Madden coverjdog could be on the next Madden coverjdog could be on the next Madden coverjdog could be on the next Madden coverjdog could be on the next Madden cover

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtruroyaltyx
I will rewatch the whole game and I will get back to you with a definite response...BUT...from just what I remember He played well...He had two nice pass break-ups that I remember, and I don't remember him "getting burned all day"....I know he was atleast not burned too bad in the first half....
I thought Sanders was a bright spot on defense. He made some great plays.
jdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2006   #19
El Amigo Invisible
All Pro

Why didn't we address this in the offseason?
El Amigo Invisible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2006   #20
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 13331 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdog
I thought Sanders was a bright spot on defense. He made some great plays.
I'm not sure how Sanders eats with those hands. He let two ints drop.

The whole DB field just stunk today.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read