Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 09-10-2006   #1
Goldeagle
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 12 Goldeagle is a Pro BowlerGoldeagle is a Pro Bowler
Send a message via Yahoo to Goldeagle
Default Spencer at LT

How do you people think he did?
Goldeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2006   #2
Ibar_Harry
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15 Ibar_Harry was voted MVPIbar_Harry was voted MVPIbar_Harry was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldeagle
I have the same question? People are posting that the O-line played somewhat poorly today? What appeared to be the problem? Do we miss Wand after all?
Ibar_Harry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2006   #3
Goldeagle
Hall of Fame

From a TV standpoint he seemed ok, overwhelmed at times.
Old 09-10-2006   #4
Reddevil63
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 13 Reddevil63 is on the Pro-Bowl ballotReddevil63 is on the Pro-Bowl ballot
Send a message via AIM to Reddevil63 Send a message via Yahoo to Reddevil63

Some good, some bad, looked like a rookie, but people have to remember we have alot of those so mistakes are gonna happen. The future looks bright though.
Old 09-10-2006   #5
Goldeagle
Hall of Fame

Is it me or does it seem like McKenney looks lost at times?
Old 09-10-2006   #6
run-david-run
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1331 run-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to run-david-run

Cant really say, tv broadcast didnt give much chance to see. However, we had a couple of sacks coming from the blindside, dont know if that was his fault. However, unlike last year, I dont expect Carr to get sacked everytime he drops back. I think by the half-way point of the season we are going to be a very good offense.
Old 09-10-2006   #7
Divebomb
Veteran

I saw a play where McKinney was blocking and all of the sudden he squatted down and Carr threw a pass right over his head, it was awsome kinda Ninja!
Divebomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 09-10-2006   #8
utahmark
markbeth

Rep Power: 11734 utahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respected

i thought spencer looked pretty good from what i saw.
utahmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2006   #9
Divebomb
Veteran

Spencer was good, kinda hard to pick up three guys comming off the weak side as a LT. He has alot of power for a rookie. He is going to be a force in the weeks to come.
Divebomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2006   #10
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 349460 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldeagle
Without going back over the game and not specifically watching him, I thought he looked like a very good rookie. He had a false start but no other problems I can remember offhand. I don't think any of the sacks were his fault.

So... thumbs up, I think.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2006   #11
Goldeagle
Hall of Fame

Good to know he looked decent, I dont blame him for not picking up the blitz but watching on TV you dont get the full view of the game.

Is Winston ready to take Weigerts place? Heck he will be injured soon enough.
Old 09-10-2006   #12
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 74340 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected

From ESPN, "Houston's supposedly improved offensive line gave up five sacks -- the same as in the 2005 opener -- and the Texans didn't score in the second half. Trent Cole had two sacks as the Eagles took advantage of rookie left tackle Charles Spencer."

Looks like he gave up 2 sacks. That is unbelievably terrible, if its correct
gtexan02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2006   #13
Grubber119
Rookie

I thoought he played very inconsistent. He got beat several time and Carr was able to get out of it..I thought the o-line overal looked horrible. no push on runs and they picked up the blitzes poorly
Grubber119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2006   #14
LORK 88
Wreck'em Ŧech!

Rep Power: 202 LORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to LORK 88

He looked like a rookie like others said. What I liked from him though is his attitude. I constantly saw him in the faces of other players and he played with some fire in him. Its good to finally see some fight in our players.
Old 09-10-2006   #15
Ibar_Harry
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15 Ibar_Harry was voted MVPIbar_Harry was voted MVPIbar_Harry was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grubber119
I thoought he played very inconsistent. He got beat several time and Carr was able to get out of it..I thought the o-line overal looked horrible. no push on runs and they picked up the blitzes poorly
This is the problem with the zone scheme, despite what people say, it is not known for protecting the QB. Any time you have a scheme there are strengths and weaknesses. The zone scheme is ment to support a fine running attack, but its weak point is blocking for a pocket passer. That's why a mobile QB is necessary. You can't block two different ways or you become predictable.

It would appear that our blocking didn't produce for our RB's, so we need to see why. It certainly is true that Philly has one of the better defensive units and we may simply were not ready to play that level of 'D' line.
Old 09-10-2006   #16
pittbull
All Pro

Send a message via AIM to pittbull

If you really look at the game, it was the right side of the line that was horrible. Kubiak kept making adjustments with Weary and McKinney, and neither played well. Spencer didn't play like an all-pro, but didn't give up a sack to a VERY GOOD D-LINE!
Old 09-10-2006   #17
Ibar_Harry
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by pittbull
If you really look at the game, it was the right side of the line that was horrible. Kubiak kept making adjustments with Weary and McKinney, and neither played well. Spencer didn't play like an all-pro, but didn't give up a sack to a VERY GOOD D-LINE!
People are saying Spencer was responsible for 2 sacks. Which way is it?
Old 09-10-2006   #18
Nordfan
noob

Nfl.com shows about the same report of Spencer as ESPN. I find it surprising that a 7-9 season in 2004, followed by a 2-14, and the only difference is the absence of Wand on the line, and you're screaming for a new left tackle. Well, he's here, and the handwriting's on the wall: first game 2005...5 sacks; first game 2006...5 sacks.
Nordfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2006   #19
Htown34s
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibar_Harry
People are saying Spencer was responsible for 2 sacks. Which way is it?
I didn't see that. I saw the entire left side of the line give a sack on a blitz, thats the only bad thing I saw his way.

I like Spencer, when he plays he looks incredibly strong.
Old 09-10-2006   #20
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 413804 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibar_Harry
This is the problem with the zone scheme, despite what people say, it is not known for protecting the QB.
Stop friggin misinforming people. Zone blocking refers to run blocking and run blocking only. The scheme has zilch to do with pass blocking. The only reason some team's pass blocking has been affected is going with smaller OLmen who do less well when in pass protection. The Texans have not gone to an undersized OL as is pretty obvious looking at Spencer and Pitts on the left side.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read