Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 09-09-2006   #1
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 276022 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Regular Season Sack Responsibility

OK here is the sack tracking thread for the regular season. Hopefully it gets very little use. To maybe (like this is going to happen) avoid 20 page fights over some responsibility, let's try to go with a primarily responsible, most (51%) at fault standard.
Old 09-09-2006   #2
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 68813 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

It won't be me. Promise.

HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2006   #3
Ibar_Harry
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15 Ibar_Harry was voted MVPIbar_Harry was voted MVPIbar_Harry was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak
OK here is the sack tracking thread for the regular season. Hopefully it gets very little use. To maybe (like this is going to happen) avoid 20 page fights over some responsibility, let's try to go with a primarily responsible, most (51%) at fault standard.

Good luck on your well intended thought............
Ibar_Harry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2006   #4
Ibar_Harry
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15 Ibar_Harry was voted MVPIbar_Harry was voted MVPIbar_Harry was voted MVP

Quote:
While I agree with your thought and standards I think in reality the only people qualified to really say who was responsible is the coaching staff and the coach calling the play. I say that, because so often there are many factors in a SACK. While it might appear that someone obviously missed an assignment it still could be a function of what someone else was suppose to do and didn't do and that might not be so obvious. I simply would hope we didn't have them and this subject could go away as a major factor in the ball games this year. Actually, there are times when a Sack, as bad as it is, may be better than the other available options.
Old 09-09-2006   #5
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 68813 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

I thought it was always the QBs fault.

HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2006   #6
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 276022 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibar_Harry
While I agree with your thought and standards I think in reality the only people qualified to really say who was responsible is the coaching staff and the coach calling the play.
Sure, but sacks are going to be discussed on the MB so there might as well be one spot to talk about it and keep an ongoing MB accounting.
Old 09-09-2006   #7
Ibar_Harry
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Sure, but sacks are going to be discussed on the MB so there might as well be one spot to talk about it and keep an ongoing MB accounting.
I hope your standards are met.....
Sponsored links
Old 09-09-2006   #8
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 133798 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

I think most of the sacks are obvious. Probably around 20-30% or so are due to factors we are not aware of watching on tv or from our seats at the stadium. This is a good way to at least have intelligent debate about this subject instead of always just assuming the line is at fault 100% of the time like some folks do.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2006   #9
TexansLucky13
53d Signal Batt

Rep Power: 1061 TexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny
I think most of the sacks are obvious. Probably around 20-30% or so are due to factors we are not aware of watching on tv or from our seats at the stadium. This is a good way to at least have intelligent debate about this subject instead of always just assuming the line is at fault 100% of the time like some folks do.
According to McClain, 20 of 208 were Carrs fault. That calculates close to 9.6%.

But yea, I think it is an awesome idea to keep our eyes on the situation this season. Personally I think we will see some progress in that that 9.6% will be far less this season.
Old 09-09-2006   #10
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansLucky13
According to McClain, 20 of 208 were Carrs fault. That calculates close to 9.6%.
McClain did not specify what time period was reviewed for the 20 sacks but the implication was 20 of last year's 68 sacks. Around 9-11 of those were running out of bounds from 0-2 yds behind the line of scrimmage, i.e. dumb mistakes.
Old 09-09-2006   #11
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 133798 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansLucky13

But yea, I think it is an awesome idea to keep our eyes on the situation this season. Personally I think we will see some progress in that that 9.6% will be far less this season.
Kubiak himself said that Carr sacked himself over 20x last year. Your spin is weak young Luke, but consistent.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2006   #12
ThaShark316

Rep Power: 16683 ThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to ThaShark316

2 sacks so far...both on the line/blocking.
Old 09-10-2006   #13
Sarg01
Hall of Fame

I saw:

1 on Morency (dove into the ground and sacker leaped over him)
1 on Putzier (just couldn't handle Kearse)
1 on Carr (tripped, got back up and sacked as soon as he was up)

1 other where the blitzes just came through, not sure whose fault that was.
Sarg01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2006   #14
utahmark
markbeth

Rep Power: 8733 utahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respected

i think 2 today were on carr. once he tripped and once he didnt see an obvious blitz coming.
utahmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2006   #15
mexican_texan
Furry Tractors

Rep Power: 1699 mexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm sure I got them all in the game thread.
mexican_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2006   #16
Texans Pride
Hall of Fame

Section: 111, Row Q
Rep Power: 347 Texans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by markbeth
i think 2 today were on carr. once he tripped and once he didnt see an obvious blitz coming.

I agree with you on the trip, however, the blitz came from his blind side and he had no time to do anything. . . .they were all over him before he even realized.
Texans Pride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2006   #17
Goldeagle
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 12 Goldeagle is a Pro BowlerGoldeagle is a Pro Bowler
Send a message via Yahoo to Goldeagle

Who is the Hot chick with ya Texans pride
Goldeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2006   #18
run-david-run
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1330 run-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to run-david-run

The obvious one where he triped is on carr. one was morency, one putzier and a couple came from the weakside. on these two sacks the argument that "he should have thrown the ball away" dosnt work because he couldnt see them coming and we have no idea where the ball was supposed to go on the given play. 1 out of 5 on carr, probably two on the O-line, although im not sure.
Old 09-10-2006   #19
utahmark
markbeth

Rep Power: 8733 utahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans Pride
I agree with you on the trip, however, the blitz came from his blind side and he had no time to do anything. . . .they were all over him before he even realized.
yes they were all over him quick. but they showed blitz there were to many men to block on that side of the line he has to see that before the ball is snaped.
utahmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2006   #20
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Here is what I saw:

Philly

2nd qtr 8:40--Morency tries to dive block DE and submarines it letting him virtually unopposed to QB. Without game film can't tell if Carr could have dumped but certainly a failure by the RB.

2nd qtr 2:00--totally unblocked safety blitz from the blind side. Could be Carr's failure to read the play or TE failing to chip--probably Carr failing to read and audible but quesswork.

3rd qtr 8:22--Putzier beat horribly by Kearse. All on Putz.

3rd qtr 4:32--Carr trips. From slo mo it looks like Flannigan or McKinney steps on Carr's forward foot. IMO no one's fault--crap happens.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read