Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

Old 09-08-2006   #1
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 48121 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Daunte Culpepper - critical analysis

Did anyone else notice last night how poorly Culpepper played? In many ways, he made all the mistakes that Carr is criticized for, only much, much worse.

-The majority of his completions were WR screens or flat routes
-The majority of his yards came on 2 fluke long plays (totaling over 80 yards)
-He didn't step up into the pocket, instead dropping back and taking sacks
-He locked onto a receiver, waited for the route to develop, then threw the ball, causing 2 INTs (he was LOCKED on, in both of those)
-Twice he had throws to no one on deep balls (throwing the route, not the receiver)

I always thought Culpepper was going to be a huge addition, and that his problems in Min came from injury/distraction, but last night he looked like a rookie in way over his head. True, there was a pass to Chambers in the endzone that hit him i the hands and then the face, but Culpepper also missed two or three wide open looks to Chambers.

What do you think?
gtexan02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2006   #2
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 35068 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected

Critical analysis? Sure:

First game with a new team.

First game after coming off a major injury.

First game was on the Super Bowl Champions home field after an emotional week for Pittsburgh.
Old 09-08-2006   #3
real

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtexan02
Did anyone else notice last night how poorly Culpepper played? In many ways, he made all the mistakes that Carr is criticized for, only much, much worse.

-The majority of his completions were WR screens or flat routes
-The majority of his yards came on 2 fluke long plays (totaling over 80 yards)
-He didn't step up into the pocket, instead dropping back and taking sacks
-He locked onto a receiver, waited for the route to develop, then threw the ball, causing 2 INTs (he was LOCKED on, in both of those)
-Twice he had throws to no one on deep balls (throwing the route, not the receiver)

I always thought Culpepper was going to be a huge addition, and that his problems in Min came from injury/distraction, but last night he looked like a rookie in way over his head. True, there was a pass to Chambers in the endzone that hit him i the hands and then the face, but Culpepper also missed two or three wide open looks to Chambers.

What do you think?
In no way...shape....or form was culpeppers game similar to Carr other than the fact that they both play the same position...Tis' true that Culpepper missed on a couple of throws, but every QB in the leauge misses throws ocassionally....He didn't play extremely well...But IMO, he didn't play anywhere near the level of Carr...He is on a whole different level than Carr and comparing the two is ridiculous....He sat in the pocket, avoided the rush, and kept his eyes up field....Three things that Carr has yet to string together...
Old 09-08-2006   #4
real

Quote:

What do you think?
Me thinks you're off your rocker...
Old 09-08-2006   #5
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 48121 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected

He didn't miss a few throws....did you watch the game? He missed over half his throws. His throws were way behind, way too low, or way too high for his receivers. Even on little screens to the WR where he immediately kicked the ball out he sometimes missed. Even his tosses to R. Brown were off--on that one pitch, he didn't sell the fake at all, then barely made the toss to Brown, thus messing up the 3rd and 2.

When he threw to Chambers or Booker deep, it was often just a jump ball. He had no placement on it at all. Moss would have made the catch, but he's the only one.

Other than the 1st Porter sack, the rest were HIS fault. He just sat in the pocket, holding the ball, doing his best impersonation of Drew Bledsoe.

On BOTH INTs, he started the play following ONE WR, and heaved the bal in his direction (the one to Polamalu was a bad throw to begin with). Polamalu should have picked TWO off (one hit him in the hands after he jumped the route).

I'm sorry, but I thought he looked terrible. Call it what you want - new team, against Pittsburgh, etc, but there were many times when he had a long time in the pocket and made a terrible decision.
Old 09-08-2006   #6
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 35068 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected

Since we are doing a "critical" analysis maybe we should look at the full body of data that is available:

Culpepper Stats
http://www.sportsline.com/nfl/players/playerpage/133263

Carr stats
http://www.sportsline.com/nfl/players/playerpage/306268

Oh yes, Carr definetly deserves to be mentioned in the same air as these QB's as well. Carr's name nust have been omitted by mistake or it is a conspiracy:
http://www.profootballhof.com/hof/re...elease_id=1982

Please show me where these two players are remotely the same.
Old 09-08-2006   #7
real

Quote:
He didn't miss a few throws....did you watch the game? He missed over half his throws. His throws were way behind, way too low, or way too high for his receivers. Even on little screens to the WR where he immediately kicked the ball out he sometimes missed. Even his tosses to R. Brown were off--on that one pitch, he didn't sell the fake at all, then barely made the toss to Brown, thus messing up the 3rd and 2.

When he threw to Chambers or Booker deep, it was often just a jump ball. He had no placement on it at all. Moss would have made the catch, but he's the only one.

Other than the 1st Porter sack, the rest were HIS fault. He just sat in the pocket, holding the ball, doing his best impersonation of Drew Bledsoe.

On BOTH INTs, he started the play following ONE WR, and heaved the bal in his direction (the one to Polamalu was a bad throw to begin with). Polamalu should have picked TWO off (one hit him in the hands after he jumped the route).

I'm sorry, but I thought he looked terrible. Call it what you want - new team, against Pittsburgh, etc, but there were many times when he had a long time in the pocket and made a terrible decision.
You are right...He did play horrible....But his horrible is Carrs normal.....

Get...outta...town...
Sponsored links
Old 09-08-2006   #8
real

By no means do I think Culpepper is a Brady, Manning, Palmer talent...But He is better than Carr....
Old 09-08-2006   #9
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Quote:
but there were many times when he had a long time in the pocket and made a terrible decision.
So did he make bad decisions or bad throws?
Old 09-08-2006   #10
chuckm
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14 chuckm was voted MVPchuckm was voted MVPchuckm was voted MVPchuckm was voted MVP

So this is today's Carr Bash Thread ..... sweet ....

IMO, he played pretty well under the circumstances .......

he made two mistakes late though that'll put a damper on it ....

He didn't recognize the Zone Blitz look, which had Porter dropping off the line, and threw a pick
He locked onto Chambers and got another one picked ....

Last edited by chuckm; 09-08-2006 at 09:50 AM.
chuckm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2006   #11
real

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taking Back Sunday
Well he didn't show it last night.
So we judge players off of one night now??? So off of that one night he has proven himself Carr's equal...ree-dic-o-lusss
Old 09-08-2006   #12
real

I just find it hilarious that you start a thread about Culpeppers bad game...and then say he does the same things Carr does...uhh..no he doesn't...He may have mad some bad choices, bad throws in his first game back after missing most of last year coming off major knee surgery....but after all that Carr still is comparable to him...You are only making Carr look worst...Culpepper had a bad game, but like I said....His bad, is Carr's normal...
Old 09-08-2006   #13
real

Quote:
Carr hasn't played a game yet in the new system.....ree-dic-o-lusss
Are you insane??? Who said anything about how Carr has played in the new system ?
Old 09-08-2006   #14
real

So let me get this right...you all are saying that Carr is/has shown himself to be just as good as Culpepper ??
Old 09-08-2006   #15
real

Quote:
Culpepper has played one game and Carr hasn't.

This isn't Rocket Science.
Culpepper has played One game this SEASON....Honestly I don't know what point you are trying to prove...what exactly are you trying to say?? Carr=Culpepper..or Carr>Culpepper...Which is it ?
Old 09-08-2006   #16
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Quote:
Culpepper was horrible before he got hurt last year. 6 TD's and 12 Int's.
Ok, what should we derive from that? That Carr and Culpepper are equals? The results speak volumes in my opinion and unfortunately for those that are postioning this parallel are driving with their heart rather than the data.
Old 09-08-2006   #17
real

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaiser Toro
Ok, what should we derive from that? That Carr and Culpepper are equals? The results speak volumes in my opinion and unfortunately for those that are postioning this parallel are driving with their heart rather than the data.
Dito. Rep coming your way...
Old 09-08-2006   #18
gtexan02
Working?

This board has gone CRAZY!!! What have we all turned into?? Ahh! Why does everything have to be about Carr all the time! I mean JEEZ, try and READ my post before making it into some huge statement. So far I have gotten flack for saying:

Carr is better than Culpepper - Did I say this? no...
Culpepper is bad - Did I say this either? no...
Notice a trend??

All I said was LAST NIGHT (notice the specific date, not trying to say that he is always like this) Culpepper made some mistakes that resemble those that Carr is CRITICIZED for making.

Never did I say one was better than the other, or even imply it. All I said was that LAST NIGHT Culpepper made some mistakes, and then I listed them for everyone to see.

Culpepper looked VERY shaky last night. Ever since he lost Randy Moss, he has shown me NOTHING. Can you dispute this?
Old 09-08-2006   #19
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Quote:
Nevermind I shouldn't have got caught up in a bash Carr thread. I'm done. Good Bye and have a nice day.

Go Texans!
Good move. Thread gets started analyzing Culpepper against Carr and when posters offer up a breakdown that blows it up we are the bad guys. Fits well within the logic du jour this country has these days where emotion rather than fact gathering and astute observation are thrown out the door.
Old 09-08-2006   #20
chuckm
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14 chuckm was voted MVPchuckm was voted MVPchuckm was voted MVPchuckm was voted MVP

Quote:
This board has gone CRAZY!!! What have we all turned into?? Ahh! Why does everything have to be about Carr all the time! I mean JEEZ, try and READ my post before making it into some huge statement. So far I have gotten flack for saying:

Carr is better than Culpepper - Did I say this? no...
Culpepper is bad - Did I say this either? no...
Notice a trend??

All I said was LAST NIGHT (notice the specific date, not trying to say that he is always like this) Culpepper made some mistakes that resemble those that Carr is CRITICIZED for making.

Never did I say one was better than the other, or even imply it. All I said was that LAST NIGHT Culpepper made some mistakes, and then I listed them for everyone to see.

Culpepper looked VERY shaky last night. Ever since he lost Randy Moss, he has shown me NOTHING. Can you dispute this?

You used the word CARR ...... Grab a pitchfiork fellas, he went thataway! .....

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read