Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 09-07-2006   #1
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 100543 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Tough Crowd

http://rdbaker.blogspot.com/2006/09/...l-at-once.html

Quote:
Houston Texans

The Skinny: There are a lot of changes with this team. Dom Capers and crew are gone. Charlie Casserly is gone after missing both Reggie Bush and Vince Young. In steps former Denver Broncos offensive Coordinator(and Texas A&M alumnus) Gary Kubiak, who will most likely install a similar offense to Mike Shanahan's in Denver.

Position-by-position

Quarterback
Starter: David Carr still has a great arm and leadership skills, but like every single year, it remains to be seen if he can get the necessary protection.Grade: B-
Depth: Former Dolphin QB Sage Rosenfels has taken very few snaps in an NFL gameGrade: D

Running Back
Starter: With Domanick Davis out for the season, Wali Lundy gets the first crack at the starting job Grade: D
Depth: Vernand Morency is the only healthy backup at the moment.Grade: D+

Wide reciever
Starters: Adding Eric Moulds was a coup for the Texans, he brings some experience alongside Andre Johnson. Grade: A
Depth: Depleted by the loss of Corey Bradford, Grade: C-

Tight End
Starter: For now, it looks like the Texans will go with some combination of Jeb Putzier and Mark Bruener unless Rookie Owen Daniels makes a huge impact. Grade: C
Depth: Well, at least they have 3 tight ends they think can play Grade: C

Offensive Line
Starters: This was the number one need for the 4th consecutive offseason and the Texans lack-of-braintrust still failed to improve the position.Grade: F
Reserves: If the starters are an F, what grade do you think the guys who couldn't beat them out get? That right... Grade: F
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2006   #2
RiotCommander
All Pro

Send a message via ICQ to RiotCommander Send a message via AIM to RiotCommander

I feel that most of that was fair except the O-line. He didn't seem to care enough to look up what has been done there.
Old 09-07-2006   #3
Peldon
All Pro

Rep Power: 34 Peldon is a quality contributor and well respectedPeldon is a quality contributor and well respectedPeldon is a quality contributor and well respectedPeldon is a quality contributor and well respectedPeldon is a quality contributor and well respectedPeldon is a quality contributor and well respectedPeldon is a quality contributor and well respectedPeldon is a quality contributor and well respectedPeldon is a quality contributor and well respectedPeldon is a quality contributor and well respectedPeldon is a quality contributor and well respected

"Depth: Depleted by the loss of Corey Bradford, Grade: C-"

I think he confused "depleted by" with "is much better with".
Peldon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2006   #4
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 249374 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm content with all the negative press the Texans get. I watch everyone in here come unglued because "x" network, magazine, website, whatever doesn't give us respect and I just don't get it. To begin with so many Texans fans look like crybabies whining about respect. They sound like broken records to me. You guys have to understand that people don't go to any effort to get it right when they're talking about bums who finished with a 2-14 record. Sure that's harsh and the Texans aren't really "bums" but nobody anywhere is going to give them the time or the effort until they prove they aren't lousy. Finally it's a great thing to be thought of as an easy win if you're on the rise.

I believe the Texans are on the rise and so I'm glad that the entire world is telling the Eagles, Colts, and everyone that follows how bad we are. If we're really improved then enjoy it while you got it because once you win a few games and get on tape we won't be sneaking up on anyone.
Old 09-08-2006   #5
LBC_Justin
All Pro

Rep Power: 11 LBC_Justin is a Pro BowlerLBC_Justin is a Pro Bowler

I think this is just some random guy that as a hobby has a website and likes to write a blog.

Personally,
In my opinion our weakest areas right now are the O-line(may have turned a corner if the presseason is any indications), LineBackers, Secondary, and there is a lot to prove at Quarterback. He rated 3 out of 4 of those areas as our teams best positions.

Plus, If you mention the Texans D-line and you don't use the names Peek, Weaver, and Babin, then you aren't talking about our D-line.

This guys CLEARLY does not follow the Texans in any way shape or form. I would bet he didn't watch a single one of our preseason games, maybe saw one of our games last year.
LBC_Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2006   #6
Brandon420tx
Flounder

Rep Power: 13034 Brandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Brandon420tx

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBC_Justin
I think this is just some random guy that as a hobby has a website and likes to write a blog.

Personally,
In my opinion our weakest areas right now are the O-line(may have turned a corner if the presseason is any indications), LineBackers, Secondary, and there is a lot to prove at Quarterback. He rated 3 out of 4 of those areas as our teams best positions.

Plus, If you mention the Texans D-line and you don't use the names Peek, Weaver, and Babin, then you aren't talking about our D-line.

This guys CLEARLY does not follow the Texans in any way shape or form. I would bet he didn't watch a single one of our preseason games, maybe saw one of our games last year.
He also thinks that Greenwood played OLB last year when racking up those tackles 5 yards past the line of scrimmage.

He only used Stanleys net average and not his inside the 20 numbers, although to his credit, he seems to have nailed Kris Brown.

He gave our Richard Smith a D... what were our (Yes I know its meaningless) stats in preseason on yards allowed rushing and passing?

Quote:
Best Record Guess: Without a better offensive line, Expect a repeat of last year. You can't scheme your way out of a bad offensive line.2-14, dead last.
and those 4-6 games we could have won if we had better coaching are chopped liver?

On a final note to end his credibility, he didn't have the Texans winning the superbowl ... sorry I just had to do it.
Brandon420tx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2006   #7
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 55882 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hervoyel
I'm content with all the negative press the Texans get. I watch everyone in here come unglued because "x" network, magazine, website, whatever doesn't give us respect and I just don't get it. To begin with so many Texans fans look like crybabies whining about respect. They sound like broken records to me. You guys have to understand that people don't go to any effort to get it right when they're talking about bums who finished with a 2-14 record. Sure that's harsh and the Texans aren't really "bums" but nobody anywhere is going to give them the time or the effort until they prove they aren't lousy. Finally it's a great thing to be thought of as an easy win if you're on the rise.

I believe the Texans are on the rise and so I'm glad that the entire world is telling the Eagles, Colts, and everyone that follows how bad we are. If we're really improved then enjoy it while you got it because once you win a few games and get on tape we won't be sneaking up on anyone.
Good Post Hervoyel, my sentiments exactly

Look we've all been through alot the first 4 years, fans have come & gone but the ones left are more insightfull, understanding & knowledgable, growing pains year after year until now when we can see light at the end of the tunnel. Now I could give a hoot what others say about the Texans, how we stink or messed up by passing on Bush (whatever) all I know is the pieces are finally falling into place and this team and new coaching staff are as hungry as it gets. I've never tasted Eagle don't know if its just tough & stringy or moist and delicious to devour, but one thing I do know is I'll wash it down with beer, thus making it right

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 09-08-2006   #8
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 181073 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Wide reciever
Starters: Adding Eric Moulds was a coup for the Texans, he brings some experience alongside Andre Johnson. Grade: A
Depth: Depleted by the loss of Corey Bradford, Grade: C-
Calling the loss of Corey BADford depleting is an insult to the Texans recievers . The guy has a total of 201 catches in 8 seasons , and 130 of those in four seasons Starting for the Texans ..... Lets induct this guy into the Hall of Fame ! At one time I was one of the few supporters of Bradford on this board .... Now I'm happy to see him suit up in a different uniform .
Lets not forget about Jabar (Im Not Looking , Fumble out of the End Zone) Gaffeny ..... Oh , wait . He was cut by the Iggles .

He fails to mention the aquisition of Kevin Walter .

Quote:
Tight End
Starter: For now, it looks like the Texans will go with some combination of Jeb Putzier and Mark Bruener unless Rookie Owen Daniels makes a huge impact. Grade: C
Depth: Well, at least they have 3 tight ends they think can play Grade: C
Did he bother to check the depth chart before writing this trash ? .... Doesnt look like it to me . Poor research .... But this is typical for sports writers . Seldom do they dig deep to find the full story .
Here's a link for ya buddy .... make use of it next time .
http://www.houstontexans.com/team/de...0Depth%20Chart
Rookie Owen Daniels will start .

Quote:
Offensive Line
Starters: This was the number one need for the 4th consecutive offseason and the Texans lack-of-braintrust still failed to improve the position.Grade: F
Reserves: If the starters are an F, what grade do you think the guys who couldn't beat them out get? That right... Grade: F
Who's this Mike Flanagan guy and what position does he play and for whom ? How about Charles Spencer and Eric Winston , were'nt they drafted by our Houston Texans ?

Lets not leave Ephraim Salaam out . You dont stay in the league Nine years , play in 110 games and start 99 (including Super Bowl XXXIII) by stinking it up . There's your depth .

Quote:
Best Record Guess: Without a better offensive line, Expect a repeat of last year. You can't scheme your way out of a bad offensive line.2-14, dead last.
See above .... simple as that . This team has improved by leaps and bounds . They have a legitimate shot at finishing .500 or better .

Quote:
OK, because I missed Monday-Wednesday with job-hunting stuff, I'm going to write this in one shot. Wish me luck
With writing like this .... Its no wonder why the guy is out of work . Keep it up and you can have a cardboard mansion .... errr box to live in some day !

Hope is a poor mans disease.

Last edited by Corrosion; 09-08-2006 at 03:50 AM.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2006   #9
TEXANRED
Texan-American

Rep Power: 51315 TEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respected

When we can win more than 2 games or post a winning season, thats when we will get respect.

If Williams gets 9 sacks this year, Ryans wins DROY, we post 2500 rushing yards, Carr throws 3200 yards and more TD than int's. Everyone will come running on what a great young up and coming team this is and how they new it all along.

TEXANRED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2006   #10
TexanFanInCC
Hall of Fame

Send a message via AIM to TexanFanInCC Send a message via Yahoo to TexanFanInCC

Quote:
Originally Posted by [[Gary Kubiak]]
Hahahahaahahahahah!!!! hahahahahahaah!!! hahahahah!!! hahahahaha!!!

We are also deprived by the SURE hands of Jabbar Gaffney!
u mean the sure "BACKSIDE" of gaffney
Old 09-08-2006   #11
TexanFanInCC
Hall of Fame

Send a message via AIM to TexanFanInCC Send a message via Yahoo to TexanFanInCC

i think that article, like most articles about the 06 texans, are written with half arse effort. no research. he knows nothing of charles "nasty" spencer or that we added mike flanagan. loss of bradford hurting this team?! give me a break. kevin walter > bradford, and lets not forget better recieving TE's like owen daniels, jeb putzier, and a healthy bennie joppru.
Old 09-08-2006   #12
the wonger need food
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1340 the wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respected

Wolf, is this your blog? Carr gets the highest grade on offense when he is obviously the weakest link? Funny stuff...
the wonger need food is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2006   #13
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 100543 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

not my blog.. hey I don't think Carr is an "A". I have supported him with Kubiak and realize he has had a tough time with the talent around him , previous posts I have said is Carr can make every throw, it is just if in his head he can make the right reads.
Old 09-08-2006   #14
Wolf
100% Texan

Quote:
Originally Posted by the wonger need food
Wolf, is this your blog? Carr gets the highest grade on offense when he is obviously the weakest link? Funny stuff...
on offense receivers would get the highest grade on the team if this were my blog
Old 09-08-2006   #15
the wonger need food
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1340 the wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf
not my blog.. hey I don't think Carr is an "A". I have supported him with Kubiak and realize he has had a tough time with the talent around him , previous posts I have said is Carr can make every throw, it is just if in his head he can make the right reads.
Wolfie, if Carr kicked your dog you would figure out a way to defend him.
the wonger need food is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2006   #16
Wolf
100% Texan

Quote:
Originally Posted by the wonger need food
Wolfie, if Carr kicked your dog you would figure out a way to defend him.
I think you are smart enough to do a search on this board and find out I have made many statements about Carr and if Kubiak can get into his head.
Old 09-08-2006   #17
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 314423 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected
Talking

Ho hum, another hack thinks we suck
Ho hum, if it quacks it must be a duck
La de da, he's got an opinion, so he must think
La de da, everyone's got one, and they all stink

I agree with Herv. So what if some nameless nobody has an opinion that the Texans are bottom dwellers. Gee, that must have taken all of 10 seconds to form an opinion about a 2-14 team. Wow, great analytical skills, Mr. Obvious, ESPN must be making huge offers to work for them.

Who cares really. Respect is earned in the NFL by winning games. Should we be fortunate enough to have a winning record, these same hacks will do a 180 and act like they knew it all along.
Old 09-08-2006   #18
run-david-run
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1331 run-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to run-david-run

Dont you love it when writers are completely ignorant of what's happened with a team? Honestly, how are you going to write about somehting you have no clue about and have clearly done no research on? I would say that changing 40% of the O-line and playing people in positions they are comfortable in counts as improvement.
Old 09-08-2006   #19
Nighthawk
All Pro

I am anything but a homer here, but this analysis strikes me a simply ill-informed. Right down the line it seems to misjudge (in both directions) what I think we've got going on here.

To put Carr and "leadership skills" in the same sentence is a joke.

To grade Wali Lundy as a D, esp back with Morency, seems to be wrong; should be a solid C+/B- with the possibility of being considerably better than that.

To grade us down for giving up on Bradford tells a clear story. ANd to not see that the O line is significantly improved with the addition of player or players and some real coaching is to be close to just plain ignorant.

Or maybe it just people not paying attention.

Win or lose this week, I expect some people to be very surprised at how well we do against Philly.
Nighthawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2006   #20
BigDTexansFan
All Pro

Who is this Moron, we lack because Corey Bradford gone.,..ROFLMAO

Wali Lundy a "D" Vernand Morency "D+" BOTH RBs outscored and outran Reggie "I am god" Bush...Someone PLEASE I beg you ,tell this guy comedy is supposed to be funny

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read