Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

Old 09-07-2006   #1
jagibelieve
Veteran

Default Prisco's Power Rankings

http://www.sportsline.com/nfl/powerrankings

" Scratch off all the teams that have little chance to make the playoffs, and you're still left with the majority of the league. Even the St. Louis Rams at No. 22 on our list have legitimate playoff chances.

That means we have 10 teams that don't have a shot. "

6 Jaguars Trends -
Looking for a rising team? This is it. There is plenty of good young talent and a suffocating defense. If the offense makes a move forward, this could be a Super team.

27 Texans Trends -
Can David Carr become a quality quarterback under Gary Kubiak? If he can't, it will be a long season for the Texans, and maybe the end for Carr in Houston.

29 Titans Trends -
They spent big on free agents, then let their quarterback go. That doesn't make sense. Good luck with Billy Volek or Kerry Collins in there.

Just wondering your thoughts about this.
jagibelieve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2006   #2
srstex
Veteran

Yeah I read this also, and every year the Jags are the team to watch, and I still haven't figured out why-Fred Tayler is alwasy hurt, Leftwich is erratic, and the defense is not THAT good.
After last year the Texans will have to work twice as hard and earn half as much respect.
Old 09-07-2006   #3
jmerog
Veteran

foolish weasle!

It will be fun to revisit this after the playoffs. Go Texans!
Old 09-07-2006   #4
jagibelieve
Veteran

Trust me, starting a Carr thread was not my intention.

Most of the time I agree with Prisco, but not so much in this case.

I really don't see us (The Jaguars) ranked at #6 at this point. #10 or #11 is a little more realistic in my opinion.

I also didn't think the Texans would be quite as low. I would have put them around #22 or #23 in all honesty.
Old 09-07-2006   #5
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14626 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

I hope Collins plays this year. Mario likes QBs that hold on to the ball too long.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2006   #6
PhillyFan
Veteran

Theyre wacked

Jax, SD, and KC are ridiculously high.

Do they hire a monkey to fling poo a a newspaper, and go in that order or something?
PhillyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2006   #7
jagibelieve
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyFan
Theyre wacked

Jax, SD, and KC are ridiculously high.

Do they hire a monkey to fling poo a a newspaper, and go in that order or something?
I have to disagree with you there. Yes Jax is a bit high, and should be around #10, but SD and KC are right about where they should be. Remember, this is prior to any game being played that means anything.

Jax - lost Jimmy Smith.

SD - new QB.

KC - O line trouble.

Despite all of that, all 3 are very good teams.
Sponsored links
Old 09-07-2006   #8
jagibelieve
Veteran

Sorry mods, I wasn't sure if I should place this in the NFL forum or not since it deals with the Texans.
Old 09-07-2006   #9
jagibelieve
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny
Jacksonville is horribly overrated. Their WR's are the worst in the NFL and Rightwich is incredibly overvalued. Fred won't hold up and Greg Jones is gone for the year.
That seems to be the general consensus around the league, but it is very much wrong.

1. The wide receivers are unproven. I would hardly say that they are the worst in the league, but will say they are not the best.

2. Leftwich is one of the better quarterbacks in the league. Look at his pass-to-interception ratio. He doesn't make stupid mistakes, and has a real good arm. The only knock on him at this point is that he takes too many sacks instead of trying to force the ball, which I think is a good thing.

3. Fred Taylor is as healthy as ever, and is still a threat when he is in the game. Sure, losing Greg Jones is a big blow to our offense, but we still have some decent quality depth at the position.

I noticed that you only pointed out offensive players in your post. That is another reason why the Jaguars fly under the national spotlight. The strength of the team is the defense, and I would rank them in the top 5 in the NFL.

I don't want to turn this into a Jaguars vs. Texans thread. I just wanted some opinions on where Prisco ranks the teams prior to any games that mean anything being played.
Old 09-07-2006   #10
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Jacksonville is horribly overrated. Their WR's are the worst in the NFL and Rightwich is incredibly overvalued. Fred won't hold up and Greg Jones is gone for the year.
Yep, but as long as they've got the two monsters in the middle, they've got the bestg chance at chatching the colts.

trends:
Quote:
They should have taken Reggie Bush, but they had a good draft anyway. If the line can protect David Carr, they'll be much improved.
Seems the rank has a lot to do with you did in the draft was what he thought was correct. Give it time. At least we're ahead of the bud's team. Wonder what he has against VY ?
threetoedpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2006   #11
jerek
Pro Hobbyist

Rep Power: 11661 jerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to jerek

Quote:
Thanks for saving me the effort. I'll add to that, their D is solid but I've never thought their offense was anything more than average ... if that.
Old 09-08-2006   #12
CMoak1982
Rookie

Default Pete Prisco

I know how all of us just love to talk about how little respect we get. CBSSportsline Pete Prisco, and a few others actually predict us upsetting the Eagles. Not much info with it, but a couple of kind words about how we'll be a tough team this year, and not some pushovers. Just thought I'd tell ya'll about it. I don't know how to do all the links and paste stuff, sorry.
CMoak1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2006   #13
CMoak1982
Rookie

If someone could put the link on or tell me how that would be cool. Thanks
Old 09-08-2006   #14
CMoak1982
Rookie

Thanks, I didn't realize there was a thread already.
Old 09-08-2006   #15
quicksilver
Overweight

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMoak1982
If someone could put the link on or tell me how that would be cool. Thanks
Ask and ye shall receive:

http://www.sportsline.com/nfl/featur...s/prisco/picks

He called the Miami/Pittsburgh game pretty freakin' close.
Old 09-08-2006   #16
CMoak1982
Rookie

Thanks Quiksilver
Old 09-08-2006   #17
HowBoutThemCowboys!
All Pro

Rep Power: 30 HowBoutThemCowboys! is a Legendary performerHowBoutThemCowboys! is a Legendary performerHowBoutThemCowboys! is a Legendary performerHowBoutThemCowboys! is a Legendary performerHowBoutThemCowboys! is a Legendary performerHowBoutThemCowboys! is a Legendary performerHowBoutThemCowboys! is a Legendary performerHowBoutThemCowboys! is a Legendary performerHowBoutThemCowboys! is a Legendary performerHowBoutThemCowboys! is a Legendary performerHowBoutThemCowboys! is a Legendary performer

To be honest, what kind of respect are you guys hoping for? Your team went 2-14, has a new coach implementing a new system, with a new GM, and a 6th rounder rookie starting at RB. Despite a positive off-season, 27th is exactly where the Texans should be placed.

Dallas Cowboys- 5 Time World Champions
HowBoutThemCowboys! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2006   #18
RiotCommander
All Pro

Send a message via ICQ to RiotCommander Send a message via AIM to RiotCommander

Quote:
Originally Posted by jagibelieve
Trust me, starting a Carr thread was not my intention.

Most of the time I agree with Prisco, but not so much in this case.

I really don't see us (The Jaguars) ranked at #6 at this point. #10 or #11 is a little more realistic in my opinion.

I also didn't think the Texans would be quite as low. I would have put them around #22 or #23 in all honesty.

A Jags fan with brains, we should recruit him into the brotherhood! Now your defense is in the top 6, but overall? This guy (The one who wrote the article) almost sounds like a Jags fan in hiding.

And thanks for the positive Texans ranking, always good to see some love. I cannot wait until we play division rivals. All this Eagles nonsense is driving me nuts. But at least most of their fans have more sense then the "experts" writing about us.

Last edited by RiotCommander; 09-08-2006 at 07:43 AM.
RiotCommander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2006   #19
RiotCommander
All Pro

Send a message via ICQ to RiotCommander Send a message via AIM to RiotCommander

http://www.sportsline.com/nfl/featur...s/prisco/picks

Just scroll down to the 3rd game listed. Thats right, the guy is actually picks us to upset the Eagles. I don't know what to think about that. Its the first time I have seen anyone on any website picking us to win anything.

Does he think that little of the Eagles or that much of us? Well I hope he is right about this. Sunday cannot come soon enough!

Old 09-08-2006   #20
jagibelieve
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiotCommander
A Jags fan with brains, we should recruit him into the brotherhood! Now your defense is in the top 6, but overall? This guy (The one who wrote the article) almost sounds like a Jags fan in hiding.

And thanks for the positive Texans ranking, always good to see some love. I cannot wait until we play division rivals. All this Eagles nonsense is driving me nuts. But at least most of their fans have more sense then the "experts" writing about us.
Thank you for the kind words. I may be a Jaguar fan first, but I am also an NFL fan. I try to follow as much as I can, especially the AFC South. I also try to be as honest and objective as possible, without being too much of a homer.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read