Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 09-07-2006   #1
TexansFight
All Pro

Rep Power: 2293 TexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Wish Texans Fans were more like Eagles fans

I went to college up in Philly. Would not want to live there again. I never liked any of their teams while up there. However, I do respect Philly Phan and the passion that they bring to the table. I would listen to 610 WIP and their fans are very tough but passionate. They want a winner. The fans and their media who unlike the wimpy Houston sports media who want to be friends with the GMs and players actually provide good insight and analysis and are not afraid to rip players, coaches, or front office personnel.

Also, Philly has a great home field advantage. Leather lunged fans that provide an intimidating place to play. I don't condone the meatheads that used to beat up opposing fans up in the 700 Level of the Vet. They seem to have that crap tamed down in the Linc while still maintaining a fervent following.

I just wish Reliant was a more intimidating place for opposing teams. Houston can have a great home field advantage.
TexansFight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2006   #2
real

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansFight
The fans and their media who unlike the wimpy Houston sports media who want to be friends with the GMs and players actually provide good insight and analysis and are not afraid to rip players, coaches, or front office personnel.
There have been threads on this very MB criticizing some of the local media for being too harsh on the Texans...

Quote:
I just wish Reliant was a more intimidating place for opposing teams. Houston can have a great home field advantage.
I don't know about intimidating, but Peyton himself said that he doesn't like playing in Reliant because of the rowdy atmosphere....
Old 09-07-2006   #3
cuppacoffee
Resident Grouch

Rep Power: 45929 cuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I went to college up in Philly. Would not want to live there again. I never liked any of their teams while up there. However, I do respect Philly Phan and the passion that they bring to the table. I would listen to 610 WIP and their fans are very tough but passionate. They want a winner. The fans and their media who unlike the wimpy Houston sports media who want to be friends with the GMs and players actually provide good insight and analysis and are not afraid to rip players, coaches, or front office personnel.

Also, Philly has a great home field advantage. Leather lunged fans that provide an intimidating place to play. I don't condone the meatheads that used to beat up opposing fans up in the 700 Level of the Vet. They seem to have that crap tamed down in the Linc while still maintaining a fervent following.

Sounds more like the visiting fans are intimidated...

Soccer fans come to mind when I hear that.

Old 09-07-2006   #4
SESupergenius

Quote:

Nah, I'm sorry, I don't want to be a fan like you. You bring this team down.
Old 09-07-2006   #5
flylikeaneagle
Veteran

Quote:

Yeah, the sports action that I have been to while living here in Houston -- the fans are laid back and they just like the cheering rituals with the music and the clapping. They do not really get into like most NFL team's fans. Hopefully that will change with time. There are some rowdy fans so it's not that bad. It's not like San Fran or anything. LOL!
flylikeaneagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2006   #6
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 103838 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtruroyaltyx
There have been threads on this very MB criticizing some of the local media for being too harsh on the Texans...

I don't know about intimidating, but Peyton himself said that he doesn't like playing in Reliant because of the rowdy atmosphere....:wild:
Definetly can't tell from the way he plays when he's here.
Old 09-07-2006   #7
F-minus67
Hall of Fame

Yeah, we should be like eagles fans so we can cheer when someone has a career ending injury and also boo santa.
Old 09-07-2006   #8
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 290612 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected
Wink

Quote:
Wish Texans Fans were more like Eagles fans
yeah, we need more batteries and bags of pee to be thrown at games. riiiiight

Passion comes with winning games. It's a simple formula.
Old 09-07-2006   #9
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 70214 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

I don't see why it is incompatible to be completely passionate for your team but not a thug.

Some of the best home field advantages in the league are at places that are loud but the fans have some of the friendliest tailgates you can find.

Last year had very little to cheer about, but in 2004, there were times where at the field level I could not hear myself yell because it was so loud.

Speaking of the 700 level, here is something I wrote for the blogger for The700Level.com who is also the Eagles Fanhouse blogger. He wrote something for the Chronicle blog as soon as the Chronic people get around to publishing it. (They have been slooooooow lately in publishing my stuff. Sorry about that).
Old 09-07-2006   #10
flylikeaneagle
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel
yeah, we need more batteries and bags of pee to be thrown at games. riiiiight

Passion comes with winning games. It's a simple formula.

That was at the Vet and the 700 Club (love those guys). It was 3 or 4 people who threw batteries. I saw a Texans fan spit on a Chiefs fan and I do not go around saying all Texans fans spit at people. Geeesh! LOL!
Old 09-07-2006   #11
flylikeaneagle
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by F-minus67
Yeah, we should be like eagles fans so we can cheer when someone has a career ending injury and also boo santa.
Can't you guys come up with something a little more present? A little more fresh? The Santa booing happened in the 60s for pete's sake. The guy was a dirty drunk bum.

As for Irvin, yes... that was sad that a couple thousand fans cheered. You take your most hated enemy and see him go down, still should not cheer it. I know I wouldn't.
Old 09-07-2006   #12
flylikeaneagle
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans_Chick
I don't see why it is incompatible to be completely passionate for your team but not a thug.

Some of the best home field advantages in the league are at places that are loud but the fans have some of the friendliest tailgates you can find.

Last year had very little to cheer about, but in 2004, there were times where at the field level I could not hear myself yell because it was so loud.

Speaking of the 700 level, here is something I wrote for the blogger for The700Level.com who is also the Eagles Fanhouse blogger. He wrote something for the Chronicle blog as soon as the Chronic people get around to publishing it. (They have been slooooooow lately in publishing my stuff. Sorry about that).
Read that write up. Very nice. Yes, Reliant can be ver, very loud. Cannot wait until Sunday... tailgate and Eagles football.
Old 09-07-2006   #13
LBC_Justin
All Pro

Rep Power: 11 LBC_Justin is a Pro BowlerLBC_Justin is a Pro Bowler

Quote:

You have to WIN. People get passionate and loud for their WINNING team.

For example. I have been to a Pittsburgh Steelers games and to a Pittsburgh Pirates game in the same week a few years ago. The Pirate fans seemed pathetic, while the Steelers fans were fanatical. Basically the same people, infact half the people at the Pirates game had on Steeler jerseys.
LBC_Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2006   #14
flylikeaneagle
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBC_Justin

For example. I have been to a Pittsburgh Steelers games and to a Pittsburgh Pirates game in the same week a few years ago. The Pirate fans seemed pathetic, while the Steelers fans were fanatical. Basically the same people, infact half the people at the Pirates game had on Steeler jerseys.
and the Eagles were a winning team all of these decades? I think not. PA is a football state and it is clear to see that. It is not a baseball state whatsoever.
Old 09-07-2006   #15
PhillyFan
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by flylikeaneagle
Can't you guys come up with something a little more present? A little more fresh? The Santa booing happened in the 60s for pete's sake. The guy was a dirty drunk bum.

As for Irvin, yes... that was sad that a couple thousand fans cheered. You take your most hated enemy and see him go down, still should not cheer it. I know I wouldn't.

Santa was in 1968. And he was a filthy drunken bum, correct.

The only reason people were cheering about the Irvin thing, is because it looked like he got the wind knocked out of him or something. It was an ordinary play, and he didnt get up.
PhillyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2006   #16
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 300095 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyFan
The only reason people were cheering about the Irvin thing, is because it looked like he got the wind knocked out of him or something. It was an ordinary play, and he didnt get up.
BS--they were still cheering as he got braced up and carted off the field.
Old 09-07-2006   #17
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 103838 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBC_Justin

The Pirates and the Steelers should not be in the same league comparatively speaking. When was the last time the fans have had something to cheer about at a Pirates game? Versus the Steelers having so much success over the years.

edit: Sorry, I just saw the first sentence of your post. My bad
Old 09-07-2006   #18
PhillyFan
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak
BS--they were still cheering as he got braced up and carted off the field.

If you have video on that, I would be more than happy to see it.

I was at the game, and noone anywhere near me was cheering.

A lot of open mouths and gasping, but no cheering.
PhillyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2006   #19
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 300095 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyFan
If you have video on that, I would be more than happy to see it.

I was at the game, and noone anywhere near me was cheering.

A lot of open mouths and gasping, but no cheering.
So I guess what I saw on TV along with the players and coaches was all wrong:

Quote:
JEAN-JACQUES TAYLOR / The Dallas Morning News

PHILADELPHIA – As Michael Irvin lay crumpled and motionless on the Veterans Stadium turf Sunday afternoon, many of the Eagles' fans began cheering.

The longer Irvin remained on the ground during the Cowboys' 13-10 loss, the more the crowd roared. The cheers reached an apex, when a stretcher was brought onto the field for Irvin.

"It disgusted me to death," Emmitt Smith said. "It's just a game. That's what it's called - a game. Life. Being paralyzed. Death. Anything outside of the game is reality. No matter how you look at it, sports is sports but a human being is playing the sport.

"I understand people want to cheer for their team and they want their team to win, but when you see an individual laying down there motionless, there's no need to cheer. There's nothing joyful about watching a person get hurt."

The injury occurred when Irvin caught an eight-yard slant in the first quarter. He tried to break a tackle and dipped his head when he saw safety Tim Hauck about to hit him.

The top of his head slammed into the turf. The injury was diagnosed as a swelling in his spinal cord.

Irvin, who will not play next week against the New York Giants, spent Sunday night at the Thomas Jefferson University Spinal Trauma Center.

Philadelphia has a reputation for having some of the most boisterous and raucous fans in the NFL. They also have a reputation for having fans who are hard to control.

A few years ago, the city actually put a court in the stadium so people who misbehaved during the game could be quickly sentenced.

The fans' behavior on Sunday left players and coaches on both teams seething.

"To me there's no excuse for that," coach Chan Gailey said. "I'm disappointed it happened. That's the nicest term I can use. I better not say anything else."

Philadelphia receiver Charles Johnson, who scored the winning touchdown, said the crowd's reaction embarrassed him.

"The most disgusting thing was when the stretcher came out, and they started cheering again," Johnson said.
"The fans usually end up hating the good athletes, but he's a human being. He has a family and he's getting wheeled off on a stretcher, it puts everything in perspective."

For a while, Smith said, an incident like that can inspire a team because they feed off the anger created by the crowd's reaction. But, he said, it quickly wears off.

"You realize that you're on the football field minus one of your teammates," he said, "but eventually you have to get over it."
Link

Y'all really need to stop trying to act as if the whole episode was not a sorry piece of history.
Old 09-07-2006   #20
Snapple
Veteran

I think I understand what TexansFight is saying.

Really passionate fans aren't afraid to ride their team. They don't just clap like trained seals everytime the front office makes a move, as if they're always right. Philly fans complain about their team so much, because that's how much they care about winning. If the Eagles do something wrong, the fans are going to let them know about it.

Now, that doesn't mean Philly fans are all good. If anything, they're like the polar opposite extreme. Some Texans fans are extremely blindly optimistic to a fault, and some Philly fans are negative to a fault.

I would like to be somewhere in the middle. Where I'm not afraid to challenge the decisions of the Texans, because I care about where the team is going, yet I'm not so negative that I become a jackass.

I do not think that if you boo a decision, or if you boo a terrible performance, that it makes you a bad fan.

I think that while the Texans are better this year than last year, there are still a lot of problems with the team. And I think it's naive to assume that we don't still have a lot of holes (and I mean beyond just the QB), and to assume that all or even half of the players that we drafted will make it in the NFL. We don't know that yet.
Snapple is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read