Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 09-06-2006   #1
Texans34Life
I BLEED TEXANS!

Rep Power: 1028 Texans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Does Kubiak have something up his sleeve for the season?

I know the offense is not in sync, but I feel Kubiak is going to surprise everyone in Week 1. All that we saw in preseason, it might be to fool the national public. I think Carr will feel more relaxed in the pocket to pass to AJ and Moulds. I think the OL will perfect zone blocking so Lundy/Morency can find the holes to break out.

What do you guys think?

HoustonTexans4Life - 2010-2011 CHAMPION of TexansTalk Survivor and TexansTalk Pick'em
Texans34Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2006   #2
TexanSam
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 29758 TexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respected

I sure hope so. Maybe he was telling Carr to be squeamish in the pocket to give opposing defenses the idea that he was still shell-shocked, and once the regular season starts...voila! That would be nice...
TexanSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2006   #3
Ibar_Harry
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15 Ibar_Harry was voted MVPIbar_Harry was voted MVPIbar_Harry was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans34Life
I know the offense is not in sync, but I feel Kubiak is going to surprise everyone in Week 1. All that we saw in preseason, it might be to fool the national public. I think Carr will feel more relaxed in the pocket to pass to AJ and Moulds. I think the OL will perfect zone blocking so Lundy/Morency can find the holes to break out.

What do you guys think?
Don't expect the obvious from Kubiak. For example, he's known for running the ball, but in one of the preseason games Carr threw the ball 9 or 10 times in a row before a run was called. The run was effective and we went back to passing. Kubiak has always said he will do what is necessary to win. If he needs to pass he will do that and if he needs to run he will do that. The other team's defense is going to show the way.
Ibar_Harry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2006   #4
Brandon420tx
Flounder

Rep Power: 12627 Brandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Brandon420tx
Default Does Kubiak have sotmething up his sleeve this season?

Playoffs
Brandon420tx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2006   #5
RiotCommander
All Pro

Send a message via ICQ to RiotCommander Send a message via AIM to RiotCommander

I would love to get a look at the 15 plays we are thinking about opening with. I expect stretch running plays that have David rolling away from the plays. Then eventually have that play as a playaction / bootleg option.

It would be a shame not to use something that worked so well in the preseason.
Old 09-07-2006   #6
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 171407 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibar_Harry
Don't expect the obvious from Kubiak. For example, he's known for running the ball, but in one of the preseason games Carr threw the ball 9 or 10 times in a row before a run was called. The run was effective and we went back to passing. Kubiak has always said he will do what is necessary to win. If he needs to pass he will do that and if he needs to run he will do that. The other team's defense is going to show the way.
Exactly, Ibar.........We just need to pray that Carr leaves these in bed with his wife (not meant in any disrespectful way).............

CloakNNNdagger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2006   #7
aj.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 658 aj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans34Life
I think Carr will feel more relaxed in the pocket...
I'm sure that Kearse and Howard are already in Carr's head.

They need 150+ yards rushing this game to have a chance.
aj. is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 09-07-2006   #8
AtheGreat
Veteran

I think Kubiak has shown just the tip of the iceburg playcallling-wise. I have to beileve that there are a WHOLE bunch of plays they've been mastering in TC and Pactices that were never seen in the preseason that will be everyday plays in the reg. season. I could see a half-back pass or flea-flicker as the first play of the season! Can't wait for sunday!!!
AtheGreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2006   #9
19-10
Veteran

Default Fle-flicker

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtheGreat
I think Kubiak has shown just the tip of the iceburg playcallling-wise. I have to beileve that there are a WHOLE bunch of plays they've been mastering in TC and Pactices that were never seen in the preseason that will be everyday plays in the reg. season. I could see a half-back pass or flea-flicker as the first play of the season! Can't wait for sunday!!!

Fle-flicker - great idea! Those only take about 4 seconds to develop. No way you trust a rookie RB and LT on that play to start the season. Half back pass? That would really bolster DC's confidence. But hey, whatever it takes.
It would be fun to see
Old 09-07-2006   #10
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

"Does Kubiak have something up his sleeves?"

His arms.
Old 09-07-2006   #11
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 59303 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by aj.
I'm sure that Kearse and Howard are already in Carr's head.

They need 150+ yards rushing this game to have a chance.
Maybe the success Carr had with PA and bootlegs is in their heads...Carr IS a good running QB and if those 2 don't hold contain, it could be a long day for them. Pinning their ears back and speed rushing the outside edge COULD leave them being pushed out of the play. I know we haven't seen that in 4 years, but we haven't seen much competent coaching in 4 years, either. That being said, I HAVE to agree with you, AJ. Spencer is going to have a hard time handling a seasoned vet who can rotate in and out to stay fresh. May be best to just use a straightforward runniing attack and play to Spencer's strength, while picking your spots to throw and maybe catch them off guard

Last edited by DocBar; 09-07-2006 at 09:31 AM.
DocBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2006   #12
real

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBar
Spencer is going to have a hard time handling a seasoned vet who can rotate in and out to stay fresh. May be best to just use a straightforward runniing attack and play to Spencer's strength, while picking your spots to throw and maybe catch them off guard
Give Kubiak more credit...He knows Spencer is a rookie....This isn't Capers we are talking about...Look for a lot of double TE sets, and runningbacks chipping before routes...Look for a lot of roll outs, and PA....Do not look, or expect Spencer to be going one on one too many times....Kubiak is going to try to outscheme the Eagles because I think it's painfully obvious we do not have the personnel to just line up and try to take it to them...
Old 09-07-2006   #13
Cjeremy635
Overtraining

Rep Power: 31248 Cjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtruroyaltyx
Give Kubiak more credit...He knows Spencer is a rookie....This isn't Capers we are talking about...Look for a lot of double TE sets, and runningbacks chipping before routes...Look for a lot of roll outs, and PA....Do not look, or expect Spencer to be going one on one too many times....Kubiak is going to try to outscheme the Eagles because I think it's painfully obvious we do not have the personnel to just line up and try to take it to them...

I have to agree and think your assesment is right on. I think if they pin their ears back and rush repeatedly then the dump off pass to the running back will be wide open and will pay huge divedends in yardage gains and moving the chains. It won't be pretty, but it will be efficient until they respect it and then we can open up on other things. I think Philly will be suprised and I hope their staff is as cocky as their fans (doubtful) in thinking that it will be a breeze on Sunday. I am nervous for our new team and am optomistic as well. I hope I don't have a heart attack before Sunday...or while the game is playing. Like I stated the other day, I've almost died twice this preseason and I don't think my heart can take the added excitement....lol.
Old 09-07-2006   #14
done88
Veteran

All I know is the Texans are undefeated in the regular season right now and I'm thinking Super Bowl.
Old 09-07-2006   #15
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 59303 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtruroyaltyx
i agree with that. Kinda what I was wanting to say. You said it much better.
Old 09-07-2006   #16
NJ Texan
Rookie

Regardless, I get more and more excited about seeing this new-look Texans team in action for a whole game.
NJ Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2006   #17
AJExplosion80
Rookie

Default Yep

I am sure Kubiak has a trick up his sleeve somewhere in this game. The main thing is to stay patient with this team. We have a brutal first half of the season and our talent isn't quite there yet but is coming. The main thing I want to see is progress and Carr playing better maybe not perfect but show some confidence in himself and his wr to make the play for him. This team will get better but we can't judge them on their first few games along with David Carr because remember it took 1 year with Jake plummer in this system to get good at it and look at his season last year. Should be a fun year and let's see some progress.
AJExplosion80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2006   #18
Cjeremy635
Overtraining

Rep Power: 31248 Cjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJExplosion80
I am sure Kubiak has a trick up his sleeve somewhere in this game. The main thing is to stay patient with this team. We have a brutal first half of the season and our talent isn't quite there yet but is coming. The main thing I want to see is progress and Carr playing better maybe not perfect but show some confidence in himself and his wr to make the play for him. This team will get better but we can't judge them on their first few games along with David Carr because remember it took 1 year with Jake plummer in this system to get good at it and look at his season last year. Should be a fun year and let's see some progress.
I agree with your assesment, but we are going to have to draw a line in the sand at some point with regards to the QB. I know it's still early with the new system and I do feel like David can/will pick it up nicely and be succesful, but if he isn't, we are going to have to start looking at other options. I have no clue as to when that point will be and I hope it doesn't happen, but it is possible. Maybe next year if he does horrible now. I don't know as I am still optomistic that his talent will be able to oversdhadow the failures of the past.
Old 09-07-2006   #19
real

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cjeremy635
I agree with your assesment, but we are going to have to draw a line in the sand at some point with regards to the QB. I know it's still early with the new system and I do feel like David can/will pick it up nicely and be succesful, but if he isn't, we are going to have to start looking at other options. I have no clue as to when that point will be and I hope it doesn't happen, but it is possible. Maybe next year if he does horrible now. I don't know as I am still optomistic that his talent will be able to oversdhadow the failures of the past.
David Doesn't have to play like a number one overall for us to win(although it would help)...David just needs to play as good as Sage did in his pre-season action....I don't think we need superstars on this offense to win...just guys who understand the system and don't make many mistakes...If David is atleast not losing games for us, then he should remain the QB...But if he gets out there and is constantly making mental or physical errors then he will be yanked....
Old 09-07-2006   #20
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 171407 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtheGreat

I hope to G-d that you all that are talking in terms of Kubs "opening up the playbook" are not relying on the revelation of a string of trick plays. If that is all that is available, our 2-14 record seems very reproducible. More than likely, Kubs will concentrate on perfecting the execution of the plays we have already seen in preseason. "Opening up the playbook" will probably include more innovative use of the TE's as well as further developing the longer passing game. I think we'll be seeing more medium and long passes which may sometimes precede the establishment of the running game, and other times the running game will be used to set up the passing game............something that in past years would have been "unthinkable."
CloakNNNdagger is online now   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read