Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 09-06-2006   #1
Texans86
All Pro

Default More bad Texans Info

Bush will never go away, will he?

"2. Houston: The Texans were supposed to be a slam dunk to draft running back Reggie Bush, then backed off because they feared he might be tough to sign. Besides, they reasoned, they already had Domanick Davis as a running back. Whom did they need more -- a pass rusher like Mario Williams or another running back? Well, we just found out. First of all, the Texans' passing on Bush made no sense. He was the best player in the draft, and as the first team in line you take him and thank your lucky stars you had the chance. Houston didn't, and the Texans will pay for this mistake. In fact, they just did. Davis is out for the season with a bum knee, and now the Texans are looking to Wali Lundy and Ron Dayne for a running game. Are you kidding? No offense to Dayne or the Texans, but how would you like to count on a back discarded by two teams in little over a year? David Carr, get ready to throw. Oh, I almost forgot about cornerback Demarcus Faggins and Pro Bowl returner Jerome Mathis. The Texans probably did, too, but there's a reason: Mathis is out for the first few weeks of the season; Faggins could be out longer with a broken foot. "

http://www.sportsline.com/nfl/story/9640453
Old 09-06-2006   #2
valleytexfan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 275 valleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respectedvalleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respectedvalleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respectedvalleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respectedvalleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respectedvalleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respectedvalleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respectedvalleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respectedvalleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respectedvalleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respectedvalleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respected

I was dreading this kind of stuff when the DD situation happened...

Lots of non-Texan fans tell me that we, Texan fans, are just falling for the "rationalization" with the Mario Williams pick. Other fans think we are brain-washed by FO. I, for one, wasn't. I didn't want VY or D'Brick, but I wasn't sure how RB would fit into the Texans' new system. Kubiak said he likes one-cut and go runners. I think Mario can be a super player, but was he taken too high? Time will tell. The question is, Was this the plan or did we fans get duped into thinking this was the Texans plan and they just screwed it up?
Either way, GO TEXANS!!!
valleytexfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2006   #3
flylikeaneagle
Veteran

Who cares what the media says? Screw them!
flylikeaneagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2006   #4
NFLforher
All Pro

We should have taken Bush.
NFLforher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2006   #5
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 88913 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

no mention of Morency
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2006   #6
Dime
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFLforher
No.. we should have not.. go to someone elses MB.. We dont need you here.. We are just fine with the RB's we have now
Old 09-06-2006   #7
texplayer2
Veteran

We will find out soon. I think if Mario has a season like Peppers or Kearse as a rookie the pick would be a good one for the first overall. Passing on Bush or even Vince was a mistake though. This team has fumbled around for four years and had some success and some failures. I have rooted for them the entire time, but come on, you can't make many mistakes at the pro llevel and expect to compete at the highest levels. Mario needs to perform on the field, not in a workout.
texplayer2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 09-06-2006   #8
Houston_Fanatic
Veteran

Rep Power: 1007 Houston_Fanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedHouston_Fanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedHouston_Fanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedHouston_Fanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedHouston_Fanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedHouston_Fanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedHouston_Fanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedHouston_Fanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedHouston_Fanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedHouston_Fanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedHouston_Fanatic is a quality contributor and well respected

Isn't it kinda pointless to keep arguing the point? What's done cannot be undone. Only time will tell if it was a dumb move, smart move or a wash - and I am talking 2-3 years, not just this season.
Houston_Fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2006   #9
Houston_Fanatic
Veteran

Rep Power: 1007 Houston_Fanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedHouston_Fanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedHouston_Fanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedHouston_Fanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedHouston_Fanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedHouston_Fanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedHouston_Fanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedHouston_Fanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedHouston_Fanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedHouston_Fanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedHouston_Fanatic is a quality contributor and well respected

We had Earl Campbell and couldn't make it to the Super Bowl. It takes more than just one great RB to get there. Kubiak knows what it takes.
Old 09-06-2006   #10
Samer
Veteran

Jump down my throat if you want but here is what I think...At the time of the draft we had DD and there was no way to predict that he would be too injured to be out for the season...we also were weak in the secondary and had no real pass rusher.

Draft Reggie Bush - Yeah he was the best player in the draft...amazing college player..he could be used as a running back, receiver or a kick returner. Do we really need another receiver now that we got Johnson/Moulds/Walter...DD was, at that time, going to be playing this year, and we have Mathis. Yes Mathis is out for the first few weeks...we will have to struggle with the kick returns until then. As for running, what we needed was a capable backup to help DD. All of a sudden, Bush would seem to be the perfect guy for us, we are in need of a stud RB..but I think Lundy will do well. And as I said before he was an amazing college player but that was college and this is the NFL. Same game but totally different levels of competition and everyone can assume he will do great in the NFL...but right now its all based on how he did in college. How many RB's came out of college, expecting to do wonders and turned up to be bust's. If Reggie Bush turns out to be as good as he is predicted to be...I wouldnt want to be playing defense against him that's for sure. I like Bush and Im not here trying to bash him at all and I do hope he doesnt turn out to be a bust. Bush should be capable of improving 3 positions for the Saints...RB/WR/KR...thats huge for them. He won't get the ball everytime but I am interested to see if defenses will commit 1 or more players just for him.

Draft Mario Williams - Yeah he was a great pass rushing DE, but again that was college and this is the NFL, huge difference. He is good against the run and can get the sacks. Predicted to get 10 or more sacks a year...but we will have to wait and see, now won't we. The Texans were in desperate need of a pass rusher and they felt that they needed that more than Bush...hence the reseaon of their pick. I wonder how many people are going to wonder why Williams isn't rushing the passer all the time and racking up a ton of sacks. Don't forget that every play doesn't require passing the rusher and you also got other things to look at...we got to look at whether teams are running towards him, if he is being double teamed and so forth. Also if Williams is as good as predicted, then he will improve other positions on the defense. When he rushes the passer, the QB will have less time to react and that increases the chances of turnovers being created by the secondary, and he could also help the dline because he will then require consistent double teaming, allowing other guys on the dline to capitalize on it. With Babin and Peek playing on the other side of the line...they could just wreck havoc on opposing QB's.

Now to conclude, the passing of Reggie Bush and the drafting of Mario Williams have both positive and negative results...lets just hope the drafting of Mario Williams have more positive than negative and that Lundy/Morency/Dayne can make a statement running the ball.
Old 09-06-2006   #11
texplayer2
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston_Fanatic
We had Earl Campbell and couldn't make it to the Super Bowl. It takes more than just one great RB to get there. Kubiak knows what it takes.
I would say it takes more than a defensive end also. The runners we've had this year have done alright in the pre-season I hope it works out. If Earl were in the draft, do you think we would have passed on him?
texplayer2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2006   #12
Ibar_Harry
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15 Ibar_Harry was voted MVPIbar_Harry was voted MVPIbar_Harry was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samer
Jump down my throat if you want but here is what I think...At the time of the draft we had DD and there was no way to predict that he would be too injured to be out for the season...we also were weak in the secondary and had no real pass rusher.

Draft Reggie Bush - Yeah he was the best player in the draft...amazing college player..he could be used as a running back, receiver or a kick returner. Do we really need another receiver now that we got Johnson/Moulds/Walter...DD was, at that time, going to be playing this year, and we have Mathis. Yes Mathis is out for the first few weeks...we will have to struggle with the kick returns until then. As for running, what we needed was a capable backup to help DD. All of a sudden, Bush would seem to be the perfect guy for us, we are in need of a stud RB..but I think Lundy will do well. And as I said before he was an amazing college player but that was college and this is the NFL. Same game but totally different levels of competition and everyone can assume he will do great in the NFL...but right now its all based on how he did in college. How many RB's came out of college, expecting to do wonders and turned up to be bust's. If Reggie Bush turns out to be as good as he is predicted to be...I wouldnt want to be playing defense against him that's for sure. I like Bush and Im not here trying to bash him at all and I do hope he doesnt turn out to be a bust. Bush should be capable of improving 3 positions for the Saints...RB/WR/KR...thats huge for them. He won't get the ball everytime but I am interested to see if defenses will commit 1 or more players just for him.

Draft Mario Williams - Yeah he was a great pass rushing DE, but again that was college and this is the NFL, huge difference. He is good against the run and can get the sacks. Predicted to get 10 or more sacks a year...but we will have to wait and see, now won't we. The Texans were in desperate need of a pass rusher and they felt that they needed that more than Bush...hence the reseaon of their pick. I wonder how many people are going to wonder why Williams isn't rushing the passer all the time and racking up a ton of sacks. Don't forget that every play doesn't require passing the rusher and you also got other things to look at...we got to look at whether teams are running towards him, if he is being double teamed and so forth. Also if Williams is as good as predicted, then he will improve other positions on the defense. When he rushes the passer, the QB will have less time to react and that increases the chances of turnovers being created by the secondary, and he could also help the dline because he will then require consistent double teaming, allowing other guys on the dline to capitalize on it. With Babin and Peek playing on the other side of the line...they could just wreck havoc on opposing QB's.

Now to conclude, the passing of Reggie Bush and the drafting of Mario Williams have both positive and negative results...lets just hope the drafting of Mario Williams have more positive than negative and that Lundy/Morency/Dayne can make a statement running the ball.
Why does everyone talk about Kick returners as being a big issue. They are not if you have a defense. If you hold the other team scoreless you are going to have 1 kick return per game. What I'm saying is it was more important for us to find a punt returner than it was a kick returner. Yes, its important, but generally not to the same degree as your punt returner.

My point is to talk about Bush as a kick returner really is not a valid issue for most teams. Punt returner is a big issue as there generally will be more punts than kickoffs in any given game. It looks like PBUC is going to do a good job, therefore I believe our special teams is actually stronger than it was last year. In other words we have solved a bigger problem than the loss of Mathis has created.
Ibar_Harry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2006   #13
FILO_girl
I'm not here

Rep Power: 63 FILO_girl is a quality contributor and well respectedFILO_girl is a quality contributor and well respectedFILO_girl is a quality contributor and well respectedFILO_girl is a quality contributor and well respectedFILO_girl is a quality contributor and well respectedFILO_girl is a quality contributor and well respectedFILO_girl is a quality contributor and well respectedFILO_girl is a quality contributor and well respectedFILO_girl is a quality contributor and well respectedFILO_girl is a quality contributor and well respectedFILO_girl is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I disagree. But instead of diving down your throat and looking for your juglar, I will simply ask a fellow TEXANS fan...can you post why you think this?

It is getting quite frustrating getting taunted at every turn over RB. I trust that Kubes and McNair did the right thing, even with DD on the lame list. My Magic 8 Ball is on the fritz, but I think it would have told us to pass on RB too.

I hope Mario creams the heyll out of all the opposing QBs, the crawdaddin' from all the naysayers will be a sight to see.
FILO_girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2006   #14
Houston_Fanatic
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by texplayer2
If Earl were in the draft, do you think we would have passed on him?
Probably.
Old 09-06-2006   #15
RTP2110
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 6844 RTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Well, it's still to early to tell the players themselves. But it is odd that within the last week we have signed a castoff RB due to lack of depth and cut a starting d-lineman due to a logjam. I'd say we needed a Rb more than a DE.
RTP2110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2006   #16
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 88913 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

Earl, yes... speed and power ..I can't imagine the Texans passing on that..
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2006   #17
Texan Asylum
Christian

Rep Power: 17420 Texan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by FILO_girl
I hope Mario creams the heyll out of all the opposing QBs...

I like the way you talk...ummm hehhh
Old 09-06-2006   #18
therealdon
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dime
No.. we should have not.. go to someone elses MB.. We dont need you here.. We are just fine with the RB's we have now

Dude wake up. We got one with a bum knee on IR who people are saying may never come back, a starting rookie, a 2nd year player and a discarded RB. When we made Mario pick I wasn't too concerned because I love DD and think he is a great back. Now oh how I wish we hadn't passed on Bush. Get ready for a long season. I understand how people want to believe FO and believe in the team, I wasn't griping about pick til DD was placed on IR. He was huge part of what this team was going to be and now we're just wingin it. I hate to say it but I am not going to be happy with Mario if he doesn't get a sack and a couple tackles for loss on Sunday. I will be at every game I will cheer and never boo (except at officials). I believe that we have a chance to win every game. Is it probable that we have a winning season? You're dreaming if you think so. I do think we will win against Philly though, and starting the season with a win will give the guys much needed confidence and hopefully keep them playing above their level. I'm not hoping for bad things I just think that the team is in over their heads and everybody is going to have to be mistake free if we want to be in games. I can't wait til Sunday and I hope Carr can step up and show us he's what we all believed he could be.
therealdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2006   #19
therealdon
Rookie

oh and by winning season I mean more than 5 wins
therealdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2006   #20
blockhead83
All Pro

Send a message via AIM to blockhead83

I keep seeing this sentiment reiterated in the media, and I keep thinking, "Did they stop paying attention to the Texans after they saw we passed on Reggie?" Honestly, do they not understand that Kubiak has been able to have a very successful running game in the past without drafting backs on the first day? They also obviously haven't been watching our backs this pre-season. Averaging 5.5 YPC against some 1st team D's isn't too shabby, eh? I keep hearing how we must be so sad now going into the season with 6th rounder Wali Lundy starting. I would have still drafted Mario regardless of whether I knew of DD's condition or not. You have to realize that you don't need a thoroughbred runner in this system, you need a workhorse back who makes a cut and runs downhill. Reggie should be a great back, but he wouldn't make a large difference in the productivity of our offense because we can get the job done with less physically gifted players. Mario on the other hand has the chance to develop into a first rate DE, one of the most sought after positions in the game.

Let's face it, most backs have 3-5 really productive seasons. Alot of DE's can stretch their careers out twice that long. We're getting much more bang for our buck with Mario, and the media will sing a different tune when they see that our pathetic young RB's are outproducing the messiah himself.
blockhead83 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read