Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 09-06-2006   #1
SBTexans08
All Pro

Send a message via MSN to SBTexans08
Angry Local Houston Press Texans bashing...

ARTICLE
:brickwall

FUN PAGE
Old 09-06-2006   #2
SESupergenius

We he has them pegged at 6-10, which is where I have them. We are not going to have a playoff year people, we just need to see improvements. Going 6-10 is a good improvement in my book, but most fans are just way to unrealistic and want an instant success after the debacle we've seen over the last year. And I say just the last year because we were 7-9 heading into the 2005 offseason and that's when we made some seriously bad decisions all the way up to the 1st game in 2005
Old 09-06-2006   #3
grnydrowave
Rookie

It's Madden. Not a crystal ball. By the way, Reggie Bush is godly in that game.
grnydrowave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2006   #4
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 99659 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

more spindoctoring
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2006   #5
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 99659 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by SESupergenius
We he has them pegged at 6-10, which is where I have them. We are not going to have a playoff year people, we just need to see improvements. Going 6-10 is a good improvement in my book, but most fans are just way to unrealistic and want an instant success after the debacle we've seen over the last year. And I say just the last year because we were 7-9 heading into the 2005 offseason and that's when we made some seriously bad decisions all the way up to the 1st game in 2005
yep
Old 09-06-2006   #6
powerfuldragon
g'mornin to you

Rep Power: 22258 powerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to powerfuldragon

6 - 10 sounds right.

who reads the houston press for sports info... that p. of s. is for kids who think they're trendy and only watch indie movies because they don't want the big studios to get thier cash. have you seen the ads for prostitutes in the back of that periodical? ignore that drivel.
Old 09-06-2006   #7
SBTexans08
All Pro

Send a message via MSN to SBTexans08

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerfulDragon
6 - 10 sounds right.

who reads the houston press for sports info... that p. of s. is for kids who think they're trendy and only watch indie movies because they don't want the big studios to get thier cash. have you seen the ads for prostitutes in the back of that periodical? ignore that drivel.
A co-worker of mine brought one up to me physically. I then figured I'd go into their website to pull it up and it was there. It sucks but hey, I figure the best is to laugh at it and put it behind us, hoping that things turn out for the better from here on out.
Old 09-06-2006   #8
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 70214 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected

Hey, outta all the things out there on the team, at least it is original.

Things won't change until the team changes.
Old 09-06-2006   #9
MightyTExan
It's go time!

Rep Power: 19458 MightyTExan is a quality contributor and well respectedMightyTExan is a quality contributor and well respectedMightyTExan is a quality contributor and well respectedMightyTExan is a quality contributor and well respectedMightyTExan is a quality contributor and well respectedMightyTExan is a quality contributor and well respectedMightyTExan is a quality contributor and well respectedMightyTExan is a quality contributor and well respectedMightyTExan is a quality contributor and well respectedMightyTExan is a quality contributor and well respectedMightyTExan is a quality contributor and well respected

I thought it was painfully truthful, and funny.

4. 2002: Drafting Jabar Gaffney ahead of Clinton Portis. The writing was on the wall -- Florida RBs are products of the system. Charley ignored the obvious and passed on the future All-Pro Portis.

1. 2004: Casserly signed tackle Todd Wade to a six-year, $30 million contract. Wade played two years and was cut. I'm not sure which was worse, the money they paid or the beating David Carr had to take last year because of the shoddy protection by Wade.

On Madden:
That's Reggie Bush, 2006 NFL Offensive Rookie of the Year, he of the 1,766 yards rushing (just one big run away from setting an all-time rookie record) and the 404 yards receiving. With Bush, the Texans top the Cowboys in OT and beat the Colts twice (with Reggie getting 316 yards in one game). We assume Bush also walked on water at some point, but the Madden game didn't show it.
MightyTExan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2006   #10
michaelm
vox nihili

Section: 648
Rep Power: 88794 michaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerfulDragon
have you seen the ads for prostitutes in the back of that periodical?

Can't say I have...
michaelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2006   #11
Wolf
100% Texan

Quote:
Originally Posted by MightyTExan
I thought it was painfully truthful, and funny.

4. 2002: Drafting Jabar Gaffney ahead of Clinton Portis. The writing was on the wall -- Florida RBs are products of the system. Charley ignored the obvious and passed on the future All-Pro Portis.

1. 2004: Casserly signed tackle Todd Wade to a six-year, $30 million contract. Wade played two years and was cut. I'm not sure which was worse, the money they paid or the beating David Carr had to take last year because of the shoddy protection by Wade.

On Madden:
That's Reggie Bush, 2006 NFL Offensive Rookie of the Year, he of the 1,766 yards rushing (just one big run away from setting an all-time rookie record) and the 404 yards receiving. With Bush, the Texans top the Cowboys in OT and beat the Colts twice (with Reggie getting 316 yards in one game). We assume Bush also walked on water at some point, but the Madden game didn't show it.
I did too..
when I read the Portis thing, I was thinking that some people don't think things through. Portis wouldn't be the RB you see right now due to our OL in 2002 and so on couldn't compare to Denver's Portis wouldn't have had the same am't of production.

and the Bush thing.. I didn't know Bush played defense that could shut down Payton and crew
Old 09-06-2006   #12
chuckm
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14 chuckm was voted MVPchuckm was voted MVPchuckm was voted MVPchuckm was voted MVP

I stopped reading at the Clinton Portis blurb ..... the NFL draft is a crap shoot for the most part, highsight is an exact science .....
Old 09-06-2006   #13
SESupergenius

Portis was clearly the more popular pick at that point. On the old boards there were serveral references to Portis sliding down to us and we didn't jump on it. It's not like it was in hindsight that we knew Portis was going to fantastic back, it was more like he was the better player judged by popular opinion at the time. More like Hindsight that had some foresight.
Old 09-06-2006   #14
chuckm
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14 chuckm was voted MVPchuckm was voted MVPchuckm was voted MVPchuckm was voted MVP

Quote:
Portis was clearly the more popular pick at that point. On the old boards there were serveral references to Portis sliding down to us and we didn't jump on it.

and if I had the access and the inclination I could probably dig up a bunch of other threads and posts about other guys that slid to us, weren't taken, and didn't pan out ...
Old 09-06-2006   #15
Second Honeymoon
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3659 Second Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to Second Honeymoon Send a message via Yahoo to Second Honeymoon

Quote:
Portis was clearly the more popular pick at that point. On the old boards there were serveral references to Portis sliding down to us and we didn't jump on it. It's not like it was in hindsight that we knew Portis was going to fantastic back, it was more like he was the better player judged by popular opinion at the time. More like Hindsight that had some foresight.
Love your avatar, that thing is awesome.

Anywho.....Yup, when Portis was there we could have been all over it but were scared away because of his injury problems in Miami...which have actually still been evident in the NFL. Drafting Carr, Joppru, and Ragone have been big wastes of picks....then you have the horrible signings of Wade, Greenwood, Carr (re-signing), and Riley....

doug ftw
Second Honeymoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2006   #16
SESupergenius

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckm
and if I had the access and the inclination I could probably dig up a bunch of other threads and posts about other guys that slid to us, weren't taken, and didn't pan out ...
I suspect there won't be many because A) We had horrible drafts B) We always drafted high.

We did pass on Reggie Bush, Vince Young and Derrick Johnson recently. We'll see how they turn out.
Old 09-06-2006   #17
chuckm
Hall of Fame

Quote:
I suspect there won't be many because A) We had horrible drafts
agreed

Quote:
I suspect there won't be many because B) We always drafted high.
irrelevent, to a degree, after the 1st round
Old 09-06-2006   #18
BigDTexansFan
All Pro

Quote:
I suspect there won't be many because A) We had horrible drafts B) We always drafted high.

We did pass on Reggie Bush, Vince Young and Derrick Johnson recently. We'll see how they turn out.
well look at their preseason stats, Reggie Average, Vince Average...does anyone ever hear about Derrick Johnson...the media blew smoke up his skirt when he was drafted, but I don't recall much after that.
Old 09-06-2006   #19
dirty steve
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14 dirty steve was voted MVPdirty steve was voted MVPdirty steve was voted MVP
Send a message via Yahoo to dirty steve

let's take Portis and put him behind the Texans O-Line circa 2002, see if he is force he was in Denver.
Old 09-06-2006   #20
pittbull
All Pro

Send a message via AIM to pittbull

Porits may not ahve rushed for 1,500, but he would have rushed for at least 1,200. If DD can rush for 1000 plus, Portis would get that, plus would make the other players better. DD is a good running back, but he doesn't scare defenses the way Portis does. A threat everytime he touches the rock!

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read