Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 09-06-2006   #41
texanfan2100
Veteran

Simmons is an idiot. Don't give him the time of day.
texanfan2100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2006   #42
TexasJedi
Hall of Fame

This is hardly surprising given Simmons "affection" for all things Houston. Of course, this is an oft-used and inappropriate analogy since he directly compares the NBA of twenty years ago to today's salary capped NFL. He has the benefit of hindsight (in the case of the NBA), and forsight (since he assumes Reggie will be great and Mario presumably a bust). It's really quite impressive.

It does not really matter if the Texans would have taken Reggie, they would get no "credit" for it. I recall the pipe dream piece that someone on ESPN or perhaps Prisco over at Sportsline wrote before the draft. His dream was to get Reggie in Indy with Peyton, and alleged that the Colts had the pieces to make a trade like that. Right, we take their trash so the media can sell more papers, periodicals, and commercials with their Dream Boy. Afterall, actual football as played on the gridiron is secondary to many in the media.

We should all know what Reggie in Houston, from merely an image perspective, would look like. We see it every fifth day when Roger Clemens pitches for the Astros and not ESPN's beloved Yakees. How many trade rumors did we see having Clemens wearing pinstripes other than Houston's? Reggie in Houston would be more of the same.
-Mario #90
TexasJedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2006   #43
Vambo, the Marble Eye
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by texansfaninla
Simmons is right on the money. Mario is a project and Bush is the most talented college player in years to come to the NFL. The fact that Wali Lundy is starting, with Vernand Morency and Ron Dayne as backups, is a joke when you consider that the Texans could have had Reggie Bush. The logic isn't there. The only people who support this move are the FO (who said they would rely on Davis), Michael Smith of ESPN, Mark Schlereth of ESPN, and this message board. Don't act so surprised when somebody like Simmons points out the obvious.

Bush isn't didily... until he proves it in the NFL. None the less, I support the move to pass on Bush for so many reasons... but the main one is because I just simply hate "one guy and one dimensional teams". Teams with one superstar don't go to the playoffs except in high school...

TEAMS win championships.
Old 09-06-2006   #44
texansfaninla
Veteran

Rep Power: 0 texansfaninla has been demoted to the practice squad

Battle red koolaid...battle red koolaid...battle red koolaid...

If you guys don't think that a vast majority of football fans around the country think that the Texans are idiots for passing on Bush (especially when Davis is on IR), and that the media is a microchosm of that belief, you guys are totally delusional.

This board represents the minority - and even then, there are those of us here who are still stunned by the Texans' FO.

Go ahead and email Simmons - I'm sure you might make his next mailbag. Which would then generate other emails - which would illustrate the above point.
texansfaninla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2006   #45
Maddict5
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5500 Maddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDTexansFan
Houston's logic was never understandable; the Texans' decision to pass on Bush was shockingly brainless from the moment it happened, if only because you can't disappoint your fans to that degree unless there's a really, really, REALLY good reason. Now it looks like the dumbest sports decision of the past 25 years … and that's before we find out Reggie Bush's ceiling, both as an impact running back and personality. I just find the whole thing to be amazing. In a weird way, I'm glad it happened. Incompetence is always more interesting than competence. So thumbs up, Houston Texans. Well done. You're the sports version of Enron.

if you wish to express what you think of Lil Billy Simmons email here

SGReaderRants@gmail.com.
i hope somebody does actually e-mail him with an articulate response about how the rb isnt so important in the ZBS etc...id like to see his response.....

bill simmons is my favourite SPORTSWRITER..he writes about all sports and is a pretty good analyst and wickedly funny at times eg.. predicting USA's all-star basketball team wouldn't win the WC etc.....obviously i disagree strongly with this piece but i can see where he's coming from...

we said all along we wouldnt take reggie because DD is a good back so we passed on the most hyped and 1 of the most dominant college RB EVER....for somebody who, in reality, didnt dominate but has the potential to be great..

dont get me wrong i really like the mario pick and if the draft was today id hope we'd pick him again over reggie even with DD's injury

to me its a bit like some writer giving out that NO didnt take Hawk when you look at their LBers...no namers that might be good but only NO fans know

so go easy on simmons just because he said something that we didnt like and made some dumb assumptions..if you read his other pieces you'd know he's quite an entertaining writer and generally a good guy imo

Last edited by Maddict5; 09-06-2006 at 06:22 PM.
Maddict5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2006   #46
tex
Veteran

The guys an ahole forget about it.
tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2006   #47
run-david-run
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1331 run-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to run-david-run

Simmons and Michael Smith were the two ESPN writters I could stand to read before this. Simmons is a Page 2 guy, its mostly humour and such, but this article is pure ****! Honestly, the next MJ? Wtf? In the one context comparing a running back with a basketball player is even remotley possible (late game sittuations with the game on the line), would the next MJ be watching from the sideline as Pippen takes the last shot? Reffering to the 4th down at the Rose Bowl...

Anyway, ESPN has its head to far up its ass to realize Reggie is a bit part player, WHO WONT BE STARTING FOR A TEAM THAT FINISHED 3-13, let alone revolutionize the NFL with his seeming allergy to running between the tackles.

And by the way, maybe you should realize we took Mario with the first pick, not Lundy, even though he happend to out rush Bush this preaseason, and score a TD. He mentions Mario in one sentence in the whole colum.
Old 09-06-2006   #48
texansfaninla
Veteran

Rep Power: 0 texansfaninla has been demoted to the practice squad

"we said all along we wouldnt take reggie because DD is a good back so we passed on the most hyped and 1 of the most dominant college RB EVER....for somebody who, in reality, didnt dominate but has the potential to be great.."

THAT'S SIMMONS' POINT!

You guys can stop reading him now too. Just read Michael Smith. He is the only one who speaks the truth.
texansfaninla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2006   #49
Doug
All Pro

Sorry everyone but this type of stuff doesn't bother me anymore. I guess I've seen soooo many negative articles and comments about the Texans over 4 years that it doesn't even phase me anymore. I'm surprised that any negative publicity about the Texans actually gets people (fans) upset or even slightly irritated. The only people that care about the Texans are the Texans and their fans. As far as respect.......My dad always told me you have to earn it. Until we start winning games on a consistent basis you're not going to see much respect, especially from the media.
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2006   #50
Maddict5
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5500 Maddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
"we said all along we wouldnt take reggie because DD is a good back so we passed on the most hyped and 1 of the most dominant college RB EVER....for somebody who, in reality, didnt dominate but has the potential to be great.."

THAT'S SIMMONS' POINT!

You guys can stop reading him now too. Just read Michael Smith. He is the only one who speaks the truth.
well i think RB is overhyped and WAS great in college...i dont think he'll be as good in the nfl..simmons does

plus to say you should just read pro-texan writers is lame
Old 09-06-2006   #51
Doug
All Pro

Quote:

THAT'S SIMMONS' POINT!

Do you ever have anything positive to say about the Texans or the fans that don't share your opinion about the number one pick in the draft? The only time I've seen you post is when it's about how good you think Reggie Bush is and how bad Mario Williams is. I would think being a true Texans fan you would have plenty of other things to talk about.
Old 09-06-2006   #52
Maddict5
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug
Do you ever have anything positive to say about the Texans or the fans that don't share your opinion about the number one pick in the draft? The only time I've seen you post is when it's about how good you think Reggie Bush is and how bad Mario Williams is. I would think being a true Texans fan you would have plenty of other things to talk about.
id edit that post quickly- he was quoting me in the first part(not that im pro-reggie)...and his michael smith comment means he's definitely pro-mario
Old 09-06-2006   #53
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 329528 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddict5
id edit that post quickly- he was quoting me in the first part(not that im pro-reggie)...and his michael smith comment means he's definitely pro-mario
Dude is definitely not pro-Mario. He has been on a pro-Bush, anti-Mario rant all over the MB. Time will tell if he is right, but like the media coverage, the rant is getting old.
Old 09-06-2006   #54
Doug
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddict5
My comment was not made due to the particular quote I chose but the overall outlook of texanfaninla in general, and his Michael Smith comment is sarcasm.
Old 09-06-2006   #55
Shader
Rookie

Bill Simmons is known as one of the best writers on the internet. He never claims to have inside info and he admits that he's an idiot when he makes a prediction that doesn't come true.

But at THIS POINT, the move to pass on Reggie Bush looks absolutely RIDICULOUS. There is NO WAY AROUND IT.

For the choice of Mario Williams to be considered anything other than the worst draft choice in the last ten years...He's going to have to be special. Not just good, not just a solid DE. Not Demarcus Ware or Shawne Merriman.

His impact will need to be close to that of Jevon Kearse in his rookie year. He needs 13+ sacks and needs to force offenses to change their gameplan.

Of course, a 700 yard season from Reggie Bush would help, but I think any realistic person knows Reggie is going to be a superstar, unless he gets hurt.
Shader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2006   #56
Shader
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by run-david-run
Simmons and Michael Smith were the two ESPN writters I could stand to read before this. Simmons is a Page 2 guy, its mostly humour and such, but this article is pure ****! Honestly, the next MJ? Wtf? In the one context comparing a running back with a basketball player is even remotley possible (late game sittuations with the game on the line), would the next MJ be watching from the sideline as Pippen takes the last shot? Reffering to the 4th down at the Rose Bowl...

Anyway, ESPN has its head to far up its ass to realize Reggie is a bit part player, WHO WONT BE STARTING FOR A TEAM THAT FINISHED 3-13, let alone revolutionize the NFL with his seeming allergy to running between the tackles.

And by the way, maybe you should realize we took Mario with the first pick, not Lundy, even though he happend to out rush Bush this preaseason, and score a TD. He mentions Mario in one sentence in the whole colum.
Do you really believe this? I'm asking you to think, not as a Texans fan, but as a logical person. If Bush was a Texan, would you say that he will be a bit player? Would you claim (a total fabrication) that he has an allergy to running between the tackles.

It's ok to justify the selection of Mario. But when you slam Bush to do so, it just shows blind homerism and a lack of football intellect.
Shader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2006   #57
Brandon420tx
Flounder

Rep Power: 13034 Brandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Brandon420tx

I stopped reading this thread after the word "Gale"
Brandon420tx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2006   #58
run-david-run
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1331 run-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to run-david-run

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shader
Do you really believe this? I'm asking you to think, not as a Texans fan, but as a logical person. If Bush was a Texan, would you say that he will be a bit player? Would you claim (a total fabrication) that he has an allergy to running between the tackles.

It's ok to justify the selection of Mario. But when you slam Bush to do so, it just shows blind homerism and a lack of football intellect.
jesus! the man in all the NFL action he has seen, i dont care if its preaseason, its not like he is going to be trying to suck, has averaged 3.1 yards a carry with no TD's. He has one run of 40 yards on the Titans, take that away and he is averaging about 2 yards a carry throughout 4 games. When the game was on the line, he was on the sideline. He wont run up the middle. I dont care how fast you are, when your going up against Julius Peppers and John Abraham, you arnt going to get to the outside consitantly. He was great in college. He has to show me his style wil translate to the NFL before I crown him the next (insert name of HoF player ESPN has compared Reggie to).

By the way, there is no draft pick that is a sure thing, esspecially one with so many question marks in his game and as high a profile as Reggie.
And by the way, I've been against picking Reggie long before Kris Brown shanked that 30 yarder against the 9ers...
Old 09-07-2006   #59
Samer
Veteran

I wouldn't say this was the nfl's version of Portland taking Bowie over Jordan...I would say this is more Houston taking Olajuwan (Hall Of Famer, 2 time champion, and 1 of the top 50 players of all time) over Jordan
Old 09-07-2006   #60
LBC_Justin
All Pro

Rep Power: 11 LBC_Justin is a Pro BowlerLBC_Justin is a Pro Bowler

How much impact did Gale Sayers even make?

1965 9-5 record
1966 5-7 record
1967 7-6 record
1968 7-7 record
1969 1-13 record
1970 6-8 record
1971 6-8 record

FIVE years. He had only had FIVE productive years.
4 losing season, 2 winning season, 1 even season. Big freaking deal.

+--------------------------+-------------------------+
------------[------Rushing------][----Receiving------]
+----------+-----+--------------------------+-------------------------+
| Year TM | G | Att Yards Y/A TD | Rec Yards Y/R TD |
| 1965 chi | 14 | 166 867 5.2 14 | 29 507 17.5 6 |
| 1966 chi | 14 | 229 1231 5.4 8 | 34 447 13.1 2 |
| 1967 chi | 13 | 186 880 4.7 7 | 16 126 7.9 1 |
| 1968 chi | 9 | 138 856 6.2 2 | 15 117 7.8 0 |
| 1969 chi | 14 | 236 1032 4.4 8 | 17 116 6.8 0 |
| 1970 chi | 2 | 23 52 2.3 0 | 1 -6 -6.0 0 |
| 1971 chi | 2 | 13 38 2.9 0 | 0 0 0.0 0 |
| TOTAL | 68 | 991 4956 5.0 39 | 112 1307 11.7 9 |

39 touchdowns in his whole career. Umm....Didn't Shawn Alexander get 27 last year and no one was even willing to give up a 3rd round pick to get him.

Well how much of a difference can a great Defensive End really make?
If you ever question how important a great Defensive Ends is then do this little bit of research. Look up the all time sack leaders. Then look at the record of the teams they played on.

One thing I notice in doing this research is that the teams with superstar Defensive Ends did a ton of winning and the had long stretches of winning. Not a lot of ups and downs. When they left a team, often the team when down hill, and when they arrived often a team would begin to thrive. Plus the great ones play for a long time (15-18 seasons) and are productive even in their later years.

A Defensive End isn't sexy but they help a team win. Running Backs are sexy and ESPN is fully aware that sex sells.
LBC_Justin is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read