Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 09-06-2006   #21
jerek
Pro Hobbyist

Rep Power: 11661 jerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to jerek

I can't really even be mad about this piece. I can't tell if he's serious or not, based on the complete and total absence of fact or reasoning. "Reggie is the next Gayle Sayers" -- based on what? One preseason 44-yard run against the Titans second-team D? He doesn't back up or qualify his statements with anything fact-based at all.
Old 09-06-2006   #22
Snapple
Veteran

Bill Simmons is one of the best sports writers in the country. I'm surprised so many people haven't heard of him. He's funny, and he doesn't pull any punches. Of course the Enron thing was an exaggeration, but learn how to take things with a grain of salt, guys.
Snapple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2006   #23
Farough
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 880 Farough is a quality contributor and well respectedFarough is a quality contributor and well respectedFarough is a quality contributor and well respectedFarough is a quality contributor and well respectedFarough is a quality contributor and well respectedFarough is a quality contributor and well respectedFarough is a quality contributor and well respectedFarough is a quality contributor and well respectedFarough is a quality contributor and well respectedFarough is a quality contributor and well respectedFarough is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via MSN to Farough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapple
Bill Simmons is one of the best sports writers in the country. I'm surprised so many people haven't heard of him. He's funny, and he doesn't pull any punches. Of course the Enron thing was an exaggeration, but learn how to take things with a grain of salt, guys.
Exactly what I was thinking. He is by far my favorite sports writer to read. He's meant to be funny while also delivering his perspective. I actually found that article to be funny. You don't have to take it personally when someone says something bad about the Houston Texans.
Old 09-06-2006   #24
TexanFanInCC
Hall of Fame

Send a message via AIM to TexanFanInCC Send a message via Yahoo to TexanFanInCC

for some reason my fiancee loves him, but that piece of writing wasnt funny at all. as if he havent heard enough about not taking reggie bush, just as things were starting to settle down, he has to fire off a big torpedo about us not picking bush. besides, why does he say we are passing on the MJ of football? when the rockets passed the real MJ, he landed hakeem olajuwon instead...and that worked out pretty well. im sure mario williams will do the same.
Old 09-06-2006   #25
texansfaninla
Veteran

Rep Power: 0 texansfaninla has been demoted to the practice squad

Barry Sanders had the misfortune of being on one of the worst teams in the NFL, yet he singlehandedly carried them to many of the wins they got, and he got his sorry team to within one win of the Super Bowl. Bruce Smith played on a balanced team that got to some Super Bowls (though they won ZERO), and they didn't get to those Super Bowls because of Bruce Smith - they got there because of Jim Kelly, Thurman Thomas, Andre Bruce, and Marv Levy's coaching.

In other words - nobody says "the Bills won all those games because they had Bruce Smith - he was indispensable". But everyone agrees that "the Lions won all those games because they had Barry Sanders". If Detroit had given him some help he would have won a Super Bowl.

Same probably goes with Reggie Bush - he might carry the Saints to some wins but will need help to win it all. In Houston he could have been part of something bigger.

But hey - at least we got a defensive lineman project...with bad toenails to boot...
texansfaninla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2006   #26
titan hater
Veteran

Comparing the Texans to Enron is not only stupid...it's insulting to those who lost their jobs and life savings to those thieves who ran that organization. Frankly, this guy should be fired for even mentioning Enron in his diatribe. What a bunch of blather....Sports has nothing to do with the Enron debacle and thereby should be left out of anything to do with people who lost everything...This article not only reinforces my opinion that ESPN is a Northeastern liberal run network but makes me damn mad that anyone could be so insensitive concerning the plight of those who have suffered due to corp greed. Last I checked ESPN was a corporation as well, which puts them in the same fishbowl that Enron was and is in now....Hell, these statements are just as bad as when Limbaugh made his about McNabb....ESPN you should be ashamed of yourselves!!!!
Old 09-06-2006   #27
hobie
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 5549 hobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respected

Why is it that every time some writer writes something that is against the Texans that it has to be brought to the board. We all know that every still thinks of us as a bad team, so freaking what....When the Texans can prove them wrong, then it will stop.
It just gets old seeing ya'll post stuff about someone bad mouthing the Texans and everyone comes on and says the guy is a joke, or they have nothing else to write about, SO WHAT !!
Yes, Houston was bad last year, and some moves are ones that will have to be looked at in a few years to decide if it was a right one or not.
Just sit back and let the guys prove them wrong...we have thier backs, and if writers want to write it, so be it. Moaning on the MB does nothing at all..

Game 1 is 4 days away, and this time Sunday, we will be 1-0 !!
hobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 09-06-2006   #28
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 99659 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

Get ready for the storm

Saints play 2 powerhouses (Cleveland and Green bay)the 1st two weeks, If Bush can't get 100 yards total offense on one if not both clubs(if Bush gets the touches) then when will he?
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2006   #29
TexanSam
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 29758 TexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farough
Exactly what I was thinking. He is by far my favorite sports writer to read. He's meant to be funny while also delivering his perspective. I actually found that article to be funny. You don't have to take it personally when someone says something bad about the Houston Texans.
Exactly. Couldn't have said it better myself. And if you look at what else he says about other teams, players and coaches, it's obvious he's not trying to be overly serious.
TexanSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2006   #30
TexansLucky13
53d Signal Batt

Rep Power: 1061 TexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackDizzle
Do you think Mike Bell would start for anyone else other than Denver?
Completely agreed. The only reason anyone would want Mike Bell at this point anyways is because Shanahan has put so much into him. Other than that he is a nobody. That is why I love this system. We don't need to waste time with someone who thinks he is bigger than life.... we can actually make someone bigger than life (as far as runningbacks go).
Old 09-06-2006   #31
BradK10
Hall of Fame

Send a message via AIM to BradK10 Send a message via Yahoo to BradK10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapple
Bill Simmons is not a sports writer. Peter Gammons is a sports writer. Len Pasquarelli is a sports writer. Ric Bucher is a sports writer.

Bill Simmons is a fan who writes sports center pop culture pieces.

And he hates Houston...with a passion.
Old 09-06-2006   #32
texansfaninla
Veteran

Rep Power: 0 texansfaninla has been demoted to the practice squad

One addition that people should note: Denver hasn't won a Super Bowl since '98. "The system" gets them close but they haven't been back since.
texansfaninla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2006   #33
TexansLucky13
53d Signal Batt

Rep Power: 1061 TexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradK10
Bill Simmons is not a sports writer. Peter Gammons is a sports writer. Len Pasquarelli is a sports writer. Ric Bucher is a sports writer.

Bill Simmons is a fan who writes sports center pop culture pieces.

And he hates Houston...with a passion.
I don't know about that... he is more like a Reggie Bush puppet.

Everyone up there hates Houston. They hated us before the Draft and they hate us now. They neglect our sports teams. They criticize us. I don't need to listen to these schmucks.... I can analyze the sports on my own without the corporate bias.
Old 09-06-2006   #34
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 99659 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by texansfaninla
One addition that people should note: Denver hasn't won a Super Bowl since '98. "The system" gets them close but they haven't been back since.

well here is to the Gulf Coast Offense

a little bit of Denver , a little bit of Green Bay
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2006   #35
TexansLucky13
53d Signal Batt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf
well here is to the gulf coast offense

a little bit of Denver , a little bit of Green Bay
I agree with that. Not only did we get Kubiak and the Broncos scheme.... we got Sherman. I have made the mistake of overlooking him before, but not anymore. After watching the preseason I noticed some plays and formations that reminded me of Green Bay. I think that the fusing of these two offenses will prove beneficial to our team.
Old 09-06-2006   #36
Hookem Horns
That Server Guy

Rep Power: 85968 Hookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by texansfaninla
Barry Sanders had the misfortune of being on one of the worst teams in the NFL, yet he singlehandedly carried them to many of the wins they got, and he got his sorry team to within one win of the Super Bowl. Bruce Smith played on a balanced team that got to some Super Bowls (though they won ZERO), and they didn't get to those Super Bowls because of Bruce Smith - they got there because of Jim Kelly, Thurman Thomas, Andre Bruce, and Marv Levy's coaching.

In other words - nobody says "the Bills won all those games because they had Bruce Smith - he was indispensable". But everyone agrees that "the Lions won all those games because they had Barry Sanders". If Detroit had given him some help he would have won a Super Bowl.

Same probably goes with Reggie Bush - he might carry the Saints to some wins but will need help to win it all. In Houston he could have been part of something bigger.

But hey - at least we got a defensive lineman project...with bad toenails to boot...
How many times did Eric Metcalf carry his teams? I guess the Browns came close to the Super Bowl a couple of times but take Metcalf off of those teams and they were still pretty good. BTW, PLEASE stop with the Reggie Bush being the next Barry Sanders. He will be lucky to be the next Eric Metcalf. Metcalf was a great player btw, so no knock on him, but he wasn't a Barry Sanders.
Hookem Horns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2006   #37
Rightnow
Veteran

There are many reasons why the media has/is ripping Houston about passing on Bush.

1. Readership. Slamming a team is more interesting than praising a team. People like reading about bad news. Writing a story about the Texans outselling the Cowboys in season tickets for five years running won't attract the readers like ripping Houston and writing about TO.

2. It's Houston. Many people around the country have negative attitudes towards anything Texan let alone Houston.

Main Reason:

3. The Texans ignored the all knowing, all mighty, sports media. This ticked them off to no end. Everyone said we'd take Bush, everyone said it was the right idea, everyone knows he is a great RB with NFL potential. By picking Mario the Texans thumbed their nose at the entire media establishment. They took a risk, blazed a trail for themselves, and didn't listen to what everyone else said. This is what ticks the media off. That the Texans didn't take their advice. So now they have to pump up Bush and slam the Texans to prove that they were right.

Whether Mario was the right pick remains to be seen, but the media won't let won't let it go unless he is a probowler and Bush becomes good but not great. Even then they won't admit they were wrong, they will just be silent.
Old 09-06-2006   #38
ronaldod1
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackDizzle
Do you think Mike Bell would start for anyone else other than Denver?
probably not many, but I'm going to go out on a limb and say the "system" was more effective with the likes of Clinton Portis than Rueben Droughs, Mike Anderson, Tatum Bell, Mike Bell etc.

The system is great, but the guy carrying the ball is still an important consideration.
ronaldod1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2006   #39
BigDTexansFan
All Pro

Default Page @ Bill Simmons Take on Mario Willams

Houston's logic was never understandable; the Texans' decision to pass on Bush was shockingly brainless from the moment it happened, if only because you can't disappoint your fans to that degree unless there's a really, really, REALLY good reason. Now it looks like the dumbest sports decision of the past 25 years and that's before we find out Reggie Bush's ceiling, both as an impact running back and personality. I just find the whole thing to be amazing. In a weird way, I'm glad it happened. Incompetence is always more interesting than competence. So thumbs up, Houston Texans. Well done. You're the sports version of Enron.

if you wish to express what you think of Lil Billy Simmons email here

SGReaderRants@gmail.com.
Old 09-06-2006   #40
hollywood_texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1649 hollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

The main point I took from the article is Reggie Bush is to the NFL what Michael Jordan was to the NBA.

You could probably make better comparisons to Vince Young than Reggie Bush to Michael Jordan. Vince Young was picked third, same as Jordan, as well as did the game winning play to win the championship and left with one year left of eligibility. In addition, due to Vince's size and speed, he could revolutionize the QB position. As for Reggie Bush, he was picked second, just like Sam Bowie. And let's not forget in the whole Sam Bowie deal, Houston did pretty well by taking the Dream at #1.

Look, someone can argue that Reggie Bush is a better pick than Mario, but Reggie Bush is not going to revolutionize the running back position like Jordan did the guard position and win six championships while being the main guy carrying the team. That is just ridiculous.

The guy can write funny articles, but that piece was just stupid!
hollywood_texan is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read