Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 09-06-2006   #1
hollywood_texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1649 hollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default ESPN: Houston Texasn are the Sports version of Enron

You guys have to read this.

I know the Reggie thing is way overcooked. But this guy went way over the top at ESPN and he needs to be remembered at the end of the season as well as several years later.

He is actually claiming Reggie Bush is to the NFL what Michael Jordan was to the NBA.

His name is Bill Simmons and here is what he wrote:

To the Texans. First, they passed on the next Gale Sayers (Reggie Bush) to take a project defensive lineman (Mario Williams) and nearly caused a riot with their beleaguered fan base. Then they explained their mind-set by saying, "We need help on defense, we don't need a running back when we already have Dominick Davis," which was like Vanity Fair passing up a chance to run the Suri Cruise photos because they were already locked into a photo spread with Gwyneth Paltrow's second kid. Then they dumped GM Charlie Casserly, which always makes your fans feel good when you follow up the biggest decision in franchise history by immediately firing the guy who made it. Then Davis' knee problems grew worse and worse, culminating in his getting placed on injured reserve this week. Then somebody named Wali Lundy was named the starting running back for Week 1. And this entire sequence unfolded in the span of five months.

So why am I giving the Texans a thumbs up? Because it took 21 years, but we finally have a scenario that knocks Bowie-over-MJ off the board. See, Portland taking Sam Bowie was at least SOMEWHAT defensible -- nobody knew MJ would be a superduperstar, they had Clyde Drexler (a future Hall of Famer) playing the same position, and everyone forgets this, but Sam Bowie would have been an All-Star center if he stayed healthy. In fact, when he was healthy during the 1985-86 season, the Blazers gave the World Champion Celtics (who ended up going 82-18) more trouble than anyone -- they even were the only team to win in the Garden that season, and Bird had to toss up 49 points, a game-tying shot in regulation and a game-winner in OT just to fend them off in Portland. Sam Bowie was no joke. The guy was good. And by the way, the Rockets also passed on MJ for Hakeem. Nobody remembers that part.

Who needs Reggie Bush when you can just give the ball to Wali Lundy?
Look, I'm not condoning the move -- Portland should have taken MJ. But the Blazers' logic for taking Bowie was, at the very least, understandable. Houston's logic was never understandable; the Texans' decision to pass on Bush was shockingly brainless from the moment it happened, if only because you can't disappoint your fans to that degree unless there's a really, really, REALLY good reason. Now it looks like the dumbest sports decision of the past 25 years … and that's before we find out Reggie Bush's ceiling, both as an impact running back and personality. I just find the whole thing to be amazing. In a weird way, I'm glad it happened. Incompetence is always more interesting than competence. So thumbs up, Houston Texans. Well done. You're the sports version of Enron.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2...simmons/060906
hollywood_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2006   #2
Doom Capers
Veteran

This guy is an idiot. Agreed?
Doom Capers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2006   #3
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 133798 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

links with cutnpastes please. Bill Simmons writes humor/reaction pieces...this is par for his course.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2006   #4
NEROtheZERO
Veteran

Rep Power: 11 NEROtheZERO is on the Pro-Bowl ballotNEROtheZERO is on the Pro-Bowl ballot

There are so many assumptions and so much erroneous information in that article that I cannot believe it was published. I will be sure to stear clear of Bill Simmons articles for now on (though I don't pay much attention to ESPN in the first place.)
NEROtheZERO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2006   #5
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 88913 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

that pretty much is the reason I don't root for reggie bush on the field.
Mj? who knows if he would have become the player he was if he was drafted by portland..Clyde was the man there. Look at Priest holmes.. didnt' do much at Baltimore, yet with the chiefs, he tore it up.He found a coach that had a system for him to thrive in.

Casserly? everyone (except the brainacs at ESPN)knew he was gone after the draft, heck someone on here put a thread up that linked Casserly's house for sale months in advance of the draft. I'd be suprised if Casserly had much input in the draft because of that. Casserly was kept until after the draft because he knew the behind the scenes of the Texans on draft day, releasing him and him going to another team before the draft would only hurt the Texans.

Last edited by Wolf; 09-06-2006 at 03:26 PM.
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2006   #6
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 88913 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny
links with cutnpastes please. Bill Simmons writes humor/reaction pieces...this is par for his course.
Thanks Vinny, I haven't read much of BS work
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2006   #7
ojthecat
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny
Here is the link
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2...simmons/060906
Old 09-06-2006   #8
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 133798 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

thanka

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2006   #9
RTP2110
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 6844 RTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respected

Hi Bill Simmons, welcome to 6 months ago!
RTP2110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2006   #10
ThaShark316

Rep Power: 16683 ThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to ThaShark316

So Mario played a game? And Reggie? Good stuff right there.
Old 09-06-2006   #11
Cjeremy635
Overtraining

Rep Power: 31248 Cjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respected

Isn't he contradicting himself here? He stated that no one knew who MJ was when he came out and everyone wanted someone else. Wouldn't that be this same type scenario in the fact that everyone wants Bush and we got someone else who could end up being the "MJ" of the NFL? He stated about Reggie's ceiling, being play and personality? Personality? Really? Cause I've got a great one but it didn't get me millions.....yet. I don't think personality translates to 5 years for 55 million or whatever the contract was.... if it does, show me where to put my nifty signature I've been practicing for all the autographs I plan on giving.
Old 09-06-2006   #12
ronaldod1
Rookie

I tend to agree with the guy.

Do you honestly think there is another team in the NFL that Wali Lundy would be the starter for?

The RB situation is mediocre at best, in my opinion.
ronaldod1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2006   #13
BradK10
Hall of Fame

Send a message via AIM to BradK10 Send a message via Yahoo to BradK10

The only thing I like about Bill Simmons are his non sports pieces.

He has an undying hate for the city of Houston that is well documented, just because he had a bad experience during the Super Bowl.
Old 09-06-2006   #14
Cjeremy635
Overtraining

Rep Power: 31248 Cjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronaldod1

Do you honestly think there is another team in the NFL that Wali Lundy would be the starter for?

The RB situation is mediocre at best, in my opinion.

Not trying to get into the whole R.B. is God thing again, but how do you think he would benefit the team at this point? Sure he has great speed, but he isn't the type of back we need in this scheme and I can't see paying the type of money it would have taken to aquire him when we have a 6th rounder that is out performing him thus far in the preseason. If you are merely comparing stats you have to compare his to our backs and see who has been more successful. I would say hands down our guys have been superior. People keep wanting to compare Reggie with Mario and figure out who's better, but it's much easier comparing him to other skilled players in his position and he isn't even up to par with them as of yet. Now I'm not going to say that Wali will have a better career than Reggie, I'm no psychic, but I do think Wali would be more beneficial in the long run to our team than what R.B. would ever be. IMHO
Old 09-06-2006   #15
TexanSam
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 29758 TexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respected

Most of his pieces are meant to be funny, not to analyze the games or anything. I like some of his pieces, others are just kind of dumb. Like someone else said, he doesn't like the city of Houston either so this probably just adds fuel to his fire.
TexanSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2006   #16
texansfaninla
Veteran

Rep Power: 0 texansfaninla has been demoted to the practice squad

Simmons is right on the money. Mario is a project and Bush is the most talented college player in years to come to the NFL. The fact that Wali Lundy is starting, with Vernand Morency and Ron Dayne as backups, is a joke when you consider that the Texans could have had Reggie Bush. The logic isn't there. The only people who support this move are the FO (who said they would rely on Davis), Michael Smith of ESPN, Mark Schlereth of ESPN, and this message board. Don't act so surprised when somebody like Simmons points out the obvious.
texansfaninla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2006   #17
Sco-tai
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexanSam
Most of his pieces are meant to be funny,
Yeah...the whole "bucket on head, crash into the wall" funny. You know...the kind where you shake your head more than you actually laugh or enjoy it.

What a moron.

I should print & frame this whole piece. And mail it to him in January with a nice pile of dog C**P. :brickwall
Old 09-06-2006   #18
Cjeremy635
Overtraining

Quote:
Originally Posted by texansfaninla
Simmons is right on the money. Mario is a project and Bush is the most talented college player in years to come to the NFL. The fact that Wali Lundy is starting, with Vernand Morency and Ron Dayne as backups, is a joke when you consider that the Texans could have had Reggie Bush. The logic isn't there. The only people who support this move are the FO (who said they would rely on Davis), Michael Smith of ESPN, Mark Schlereth of ESPN, and this message board. Don't act so surprised when somebody like Simmons points out the obvious.

Oh.....you're one of those people! You should have submitted your resume for the head coaching position being that you seem more knowledgable of what this team sincerely needs. I will be rooting for you mid season when the coach position becomes available again...
Old 09-06-2006   #19
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 281064 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Who would you rather have: Bruce Smith or Barry Sanders? Both are HoF players, but one elevates his entire squad, and the other is an awesome component of his squad. One player can dominate his side of the ball and force opponents to game plan around him, let Bill Simmons figure out who is who.

Dude is writing just to get a spark. So take it for what it's worth, dog poo with sprinkles on it (it's still dog poo). If you get upset about it, then he gets what he wants, a rise out of people.

I could honestly care less what he thinks, and I urge everyone to have the same indifference towards the hack. (His Enron blast just shows what a moron he is and the complete lack of understanding that situation. Gotta' love examples that have absolutely no bearing on the argument. )
Old 09-06-2006   #20
JDizzle
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3602 JDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronaldod1

Do you think Mike Bell would start for anyone else other than Denver?
JDizzle is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read