Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 09-06-2006   #1
Divebomb
Veteran

Default What Will Get The Job Done?

Which play calling scheme do you think we will be the most successful against Philly?

I am going with the TE screen with the pass going to Daniels of Putz. Philly is going to blitz every play because they know that Carr is still in shell shock from last year. I think the screen is going to be our key play in beating Philly.
Our defense will just play like they did in the Pre-season Play calling Scheme. Mario will be key to outside containment on the roll outs to the strong side of the field, and Rhino will destroy McNabb on the inside.
Divebomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2006   #2
TreachX
Rookie

Default Blitz?

Actually, the Eagles probably won't blitz all that much. Eagles Defensive Coordinator Jim Johnson only blitzes when his D Linemen aren't getting much pressure on their own. The Eagles defensive line should be able to pressure Carr without much help.
TreachX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2006   #3
painekiller
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 4466 painekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respected

I think the scheme that gets Carr out of the game and anyone else in at QB is the best one.
painekiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2006   #4
Cjeremy635
Overtraining

Rep Power: 31248 Cjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TreachX
Actually, the Eagles probably won't blitz all that much. Eagles Defensive Coordinator Jim Johnson only blitzes when his D Linemen aren't getting much pressure on their own. The Eagles defensive line should be able to pressure Carr without much help.

I hope that you are wrong...on not needing to blitz to get pressure. I think if we utilize the rollout and execute our zone blocking assignments to the "T" that we will have a legitimate chance of pulling off an upset. The key to victory will be a strong run game that will in turn open up the passing game. I think we will give up 2 sacks and it's how Carr handles those set backs that will determine the outcome as well as an all out effort from our secondary to control Philly's passing attack.
Old 09-06-2006   #5
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10969 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Divebomb
Which play calling scheme do you think we will be the most successful against Philly?

I am going with the TE screen with the pass going to Daniels of Putz. Philly is going to blitz every play because they know that Carr is still in shell shock from last year. I think the screen is going to be our key play in beating Philly.
Our defense will just play like they did in the Pre-season Play calling Scheme. Mario will be key to outside containment on the roll outs to the strong side of the field, and Rhino will destroy McNabb on the inside.
I agree, that TE screen can be our best weapon. I am hoping we use it quite a bit and show people they can't blitz us that much anymore.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2006   #6
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 25614 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Tejano
I agree, that TE screen can be our best weapon. I am hoping we use it quite a bit and show people they can't blitz us that much anymore.
The first step is to show them they can't get to Carr without a bltiz. The second step is showing them the blitz doesn't work either.
Old 09-06-2006   #7
TreachX
Rookie

Quote:
I hope that you are wrong...on not needing to blitz to get pressure. I think if we utilize the rollout and execute our zone blocking assignments to the "T" that we will have a legitimate chance of pulling off an upset. The key to victory will be a strong run game that will in turn open up the passing game. I think we will give up 2 sacks and it's how Carr handles those set backs that will determine the outcome as well as an all out effort from our secondary to control Philly's passing attack.
Yeah, but this is pretty much the key to victory in any NFL game. Every coach comes up with a gameplan that should lead to victory, but it comes down to how well the players execute the plan. What leads you to believe that the Texans players will be able to execute perfectly? I'm sure every team would love to have a strong running game that opens up the passing game, but why will the Texans be successful when they haven't been in the past?
Sponsored links
Old 09-06-2006   #8
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 300095 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I'm sure every team would love to have a strong running game that opens up the passing game, but why will the Texans be successful when they haven't been in the past?
Let's see:
Gary Kubiak
Mike Sherman
Mike Flannigan
Charles Spencer
Full implementation of the ZBS by coaches who know how to do it.
Old 09-06-2006   #9
TreachX
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak
Let's see:
Gary Kubiak
Mike Sherman
Mike Flannigan
Charles Spencer
Full implementation of the ZBS by coaches who know how to do it.
You missed the entire point of my post. It's nice that the coaches know the system. They'll probably draw up a great scheme. But just because it worked at Denver doesn't mean it will work in Houston. The players need to execute, and I don't think the Texans have the people they need to do it.

And while Flanagan should help the line improve, pinning all of your hopes on Spencer may not be the best idea. He's a third round pick who has never played a real game. He might become a good player, but early on in the season, rookie O Linemen tend to struggle.
Old 09-06-2006   #10
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 99659 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
You missed the entire point of my post. It's nice that the coaches know the system. They'll probably draw up a great scheme. But just because it worked at Denver doesn't mean it will work in Houston. The players need to execute, and I don't think the Texans have the people they need to do it.

And while Flanagan should help the line improve, pinning all of your hopes on Spencer may not be the best idea. He's a third round pick who has never played a real game. He might become a good player, but early on in the season, rookie O Linemen tend to struggle.
I think you missed infantry's point(not to type words for infantry)

but we were used to
Capers
Pendry(for the likes of me can't imagine why we promoted our OL coach to OC,when the line stunk as it was)
Fangio

(and I like Capers as a defensive coordinator)
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2006   #11
Cjeremy635
Overtraining

Rep Power: 31248 Cjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Yeah, but this is pretty much the key to victory in any NFL game. Every coach comes up with a gameplan that should lead to victory, but it comes down to how well the players execute the plan. What leads you to believe that the Texans players will be able to execute perfectly? I'm sure every team would love to have a strong running game that opens up the passing game, but why will the Texans be successful when they haven't been in the past?

Well, honestly I think they have this sytem more under control than what we've seen this preseason. If you look back, our first game this preseason was our best one to date IMHO. We ran a Denver style offense more than we did in the other three that I felt favored more to a Green Bay scheme. After the first game, Kubiak said on Channel 13 sports that he felt like he threw too much at the players and expected too much too soon even though the did well. I hope to be reading through the lines and would like to believe that he felt like they executed it well and that he wanted to try other things in the other games so teams wouldn't be able to key in on our exact system. Now I know I could be living in some made up fantasy land, but leave me there because it gives me some optomism. I am going into this game optomistic just like every game last year and if we lose I will be crushed just like every game last year. I hope we get a chance to shut up some eagle fans who think they are just going to roll over a team that lays down for them. We need to get going quick and get a swagger. It'll be about turnovers, clock management, and protection.
Old 09-06-2006   #12
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 174245 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runner
The first step is to show them they can't get to Carr without a bltiz. The second step is showing them the blitz doesn't work either.

There are two ways to slow down a blitz ....

The most obvious way is to beat them deep .

An effective running game can slow down a blitz like nothing else . When the running game is picking up big chunks of yardage against the blitz the DB's are forced to support the run , the blitz is in-effective . Especially if these plays lead to second and four or less , Or third and 3 or less . Perfect situations for screen passes or play action .

Expect Kubiak to be much more creative in ways to exploit the blitz that Capers and Co. were . The blitz is a double edged sword ....

Hope is a poor mans disease.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2006   #13
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 99659 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by corrosion

An effective running game can slow down a blitz like nothing else . When the running game is picking up big chunks of yardage against the blitz the DB's are forced to support the run , the blitz is in-effective . Especially if these plays lead to second and four or less , Or third and 3 or less . Perfect situations for screen passes or play action .
and I'll talk one Eric Moulds over a Cory Bradford anyday
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2006   #14
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 25614 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by corrosion

Sure, but to beat them deep you need to have already stopped or at least neutralized the blitz, right?
Old 09-06-2006   #15
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 174245 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runner
Sure, but to beat them deep you need to have already stopped or at least neutralized the blitz, right?

In general yes , but there are other ways to exploit the blitz and man coverages that usually are associated with it .... quick routes can easily turn into big gains.

Hope is a poor mans disease.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2006   #16
Jerome_Brown_99
Veteran

As an Eagles fan, I can tell you that you need to attack our WLB McCoy. He's a 2nd year player, but only 22 years old and will be making his first start. He's nuts, and you can draw late hit type penaltys against him. He's very small (5'11", 220 pounds) so if you can get a lineman to engage him, game over. He is really quick though, so he can be slippery. The trick is to go right at him and dont use slow developing plays. He'll eat screens alive because he's so fast. Missdirection plays are a gamble with him. He has a tendency to over run plays, but at the same time he has a ton of speed, so if he reads it correctly he'll likely get a TFL.

As another poster mentioned, JJ really doesn't blitz all that much when the DL is getting presure on it's own. The key matchup will be our RE Howard against your rookie LT. That's a matchup that Howard should dominate. You'll probably need to have a RB help him out on 5 and 7 step drops.

On defense, if you stop our running game early, Reid has a tendency to abandon it. Do that, and you can make the Eagles one dimensional. However if you let him establish it, I respectfully say that you guys will have no chance at beating us, because at that point the defense is going to be over loaded with being attacked in so many different ways do to the way AR spreads the ball around.
Jerome_Brown_99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2006   #17
HeartofHouston
Veteran

There are 3 ways to beat the blitz.

1 - Run away from the blitz.

2 - Go Deep to your most favoriable matchup

3 - Screen passes.

I believe that The Eagles will blitz and blitz and blitz. 2 years ago they blitz 76% of the time and well it's pretty much the same personell that got them to the superbowl and it's the same Jim Johnson. so why wouldn't they.

And beside who wouldn't blitz the crap out of a shell shocked David Carr? However I believe that We are forming the perfect plan to combat their tatics and win this game.
Old 09-07-2006   #18
real

There is only one way to beat the blitz....You have to pick the blitz up...lineman, tightends, and runningback.....All of the things that you all are naming are results of a well picked up blitz....You can't throw or run away from a poorly picked up blitz....I would say our offensive line is going to be a big key this game(and they are), BUT...I believe Kubiak is going to try to establish the run early, and then he will use PA, and rollouts to take the pressure off of the O-line...Depending on how agressive the Eagles are will determine whether or not we will run many screens...I think sometimes people underestimate Kubes as a coach...He knows he has a rookie at LT...He knows DC starts off like a jitterbug...Look for Kubiak to run scheme plays...Not plays where we have to "out talent" the opposition...If we win this game...which I think we will....Kubiak will get much praise from me...because IMO, his playcalling will be the determining factor because we know that we can not just line up and out man the Eagles...We don't have the talent, or experience for that YET...

*We pretty much know what to expect from the eagles...We are starting over...new plays...new coach...new philosophy....The Eagles don't really know what to expect from us and that will be an advantage....We have seen very limited plays this pre-season...so many fans don't know what to really expect either....I can't wait for kubes to open up his playbook

Last edited by real; 09-07-2006 at 08:44 AM.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read