Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

Old 09-06-2006   #1
texan279
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3367 texan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default NFL discussing changing drug policy

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/5939908

The changes could include more testing and increasing the number of banned substances, according to a report on The New York Times' Web site on Wednesday.

"We are in the process of re-evaluation, trying to determine if more is better, if it's the right time to add substances, to add more tests," Harold Henderson, the league's executive vice president for labor relations, told the paper. "It might make sense to do some tweaking."

The NFL does approximately 10,000 tests for performance-enhancing drugs a year and there are about 2,000 players in the league. Players are randomly selected for testing and can be tested during the offseason.

The NFL announced in June that it added amphetamines to the list of banned performance-enhancers starting this season.

Amphetamines were previously listed as a "substance-abuse drug," but are now in the same category as steroids and other enhancers that carry much stronger penalties. This season will serve as a transition year, where a first positive test would bring a warning and put a player into the drug program.

But in 2007, amphetamines will be tested for on a regular basis. A first positive test will result in a four-game suspension, the same penalty now levied for positive steroids tests.

In addition to the amphetamines change, the penalty for a second positive test for performance-enhancing drugs was increased from six to eight games.
Old 09-06-2006   #2
RiotCommander
All Pro

Send a message via ICQ to RiotCommander Send a message via AIM to RiotCommander

I hope they really do something about it before it becomes a problem. If it isn't already of course. I just don't want the sport I love becoming viewed the same way baseball is. Who can ever look at the recent baseball records the same way again? I felt cheated for having watched the homerun chase with Mcguire and Sosa.

Though I have not researched it I just wonder if an effective test has been found for HGH. The use of it really would effect football more then any other sport. I like to think that all of our players are clean, but sometimes I wonder. As I look around the league of people only getting faster and stronger its hard not to question.

I talk too much,
Later
Old 09-06-2006   #3
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 167919 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Want to fix the problem ? Make the penalty for the use of banned substances so harsh that players are fear the consequences , not looking at it as a vacation .

One and Done.

Hope is a poor mans disease.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2006   #4
Farough
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 880 Farough is a quality contributor and well respectedFarough is a quality contributor and well respectedFarough is a quality contributor and well respectedFarough is a quality contributor and well respectedFarough is a quality contributor and well respectedFarough is a quality contributor and well respectedFarough is a quality contributor and well respectedFarough is a quality contributor and well respectedFarough is a quality contributor and well respectedFarough is a quality contributor and well respectedFarough is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via MSN to Farough

Quote:
Originally Posted by corrosion
Want to fix the problem ? Make the penalty for the use of banned substances so harsh that players are fear the consequences , not looking at it as a vacation .

One and Done.
I think thats exactly what they should do. With them only getting suspended for a short period of time for their first positive test. This just gives them reason to use them until they get caught the first time, then stop using them after the punishment gets harsher.

For your first positive test it should at least be a 1 season ban. And the second you should not be aloud back in the league.
Old 09-06-2006   #5
RiotCommander
All Pro

Send a message via ICQ to RiotCommander Send a message via AIM to RiotCommander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farough
I think thats exactly what they should do. With them only getting suspended for a short period of time for their first positive test. This just gives them reason to use them until they get caught the first time, then stop using them after the punishment gets harsher.

For your first positive test it should at least be a 1 season ban. And the second you should not be aloud back in the league.

I really like the two strikes idea. The first time ok, "You really didn't know your trainer was shooting you up with roids." *wink wink*. After that don't let the door hit you.
Old 09-06-2006   #6
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 266978 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by corrosion

One and Done.
JMO but there need to be different penalties for different offenses. A pot test should be less serious than steroids or performance enhancers--one hurts the player if anyone and the other hurts the game. There should also be a distinction for presumed positives (diluted urine) than actual positives. Make some of those kinds of distinctions and then throw the hammer at the worst offenders.
Old 09-07-2006   #7
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 167919 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak
A pot test should be less serious than steroids or performance enhancers--one hurts the player if anyone and the other hurts the game.

I can agree with only one point above , the fact steroids has a negative effect on the game .... Its JUST cheating . :brickwall

On the other hand illegal drugs be it pot , cocaine meth or whatever have an effect far more reaching than you have pointed out and their reach upon society and especially youth are far more dramatic , damaging and widespread than steroids ..... Just take a look at your local county jail for example , how many are there for pot or cocaine as opposed to steroids ? I'd wager the numbers are staggering ....

Like it or not these football players and professional athlete's in general are looked upon by this country's youth as role models . If they are to be held in the highest esteem then their actions should be held to the highest standard .

Hope is a poor mans disease.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read