Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 09-05-2006   #1
TheTim5125
Veteran

Send a message via AIM to TheTim5125
Default Owen Daniels to start on Sunday?

Owen Daniels Sep 5 9:52p

Houston Texans TE Owen Daniels will start at tight end Week 1. The team might use two-tight end sets with Daniels lining up with either TE Mark Bruener or TE Jeb Putzier.

this according to RTsports.com news wire
Old 09-05-2006   #2
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Yeah, if you can play...you START.

A concept Dom Capers never "executed."

He had the team on a high school varsity and junior varsity format: Only seniors dress out.
Old 09-05-2006   #3
AtheGreat
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTim5125
Owen Daniels Sep 5 9:52p

Houston Texans TE Owen Daniels will start at tight end Week 1. The team might use two-tight end sets with Daniels lining up with either TE Mark Bruener or TE Jeb Putzier.

can't wait to see what the kid can do in the big times! i expect to see Carr look his way more than a few times on those roll outs. Should be exciting!
AtheGreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2006   #4
blockhead83
All Pro

Send a message via AIM to blockhead83

Isn't it nice to have a coach with the balls to start who he thinks is the best player? Kubiak obviously values his assistant's opinions.....and then makes up his own mind on things pertaining to this football team. Owen Daniels has looked impressive catching the ball, but I haven't paid much attention to his blocking; that'll be my focal point for him Sunday. Also, I'd expect to see Putzier and Bruener get their fair share of time this weekend, even though Daniels has been dubbed the starter.
blockhead83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2006   #5
RiotCommander
All Pro

Send a message via ICQ to RiotCommander Send a message via AIM to RiotCommander

Well I had to have a talk with coach about it. I could hardly have my player riding the pine.
Old 09-05-2006   #6
tburdette
Rookie

I really want to what Joppru can do.
tburdette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2006   #7
powerfuldragon
g'mornin to you

Rep Power: 22258 powerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to powerfuldragon

yeah, go bennie.
Old 09-06-2006   #8
Grid
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2272 Grid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respected

Go Daniels .. I needs me a TE jersey.

Owens earned the spot this preseason. If he can continue to do what he has been doing.. hes gonna be huge for us.
Grid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2006   #9
TexanSam
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 29758 TexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grid

Owens earned the spot this preseason. If he can continue to do what he has been doing.. hes gonna be huge for us.
It's nice having an offense that actually incorporates the tight end! Its nice having good, quality tight ends also. And to think, some people here wanted to keep Marcellus Rivers.
TexanSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2006   #10
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

Not bad for a guy who was for much of his college career (including his
senior year), "not" a starter.
Apparently this version of the WCO that Kubiak is running is the ideal sytem
for a TE like Daniels toexcel in. Something about his size (not real big but with
enough strength and technique to be a decent blocker), yet very good hands
and athleticism which enables him to run the routes and catch anything thrown his way.
Also, if anybody else noticed that Lundy fumble he recovered in the Denver
preseason game had to be impressed with his hustle. Looks like Kubiak was.
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2006   #11
mancunian
Daleks Rule

Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
Rep Power: 833 mancunian is a quality contributor and well respectedmancunian is a quality contributor and well respectedmancunian is a quality contributor and well respectedmancunian is a quality contributor and well respectedmancunian is a quality contributor and well respectedmancunian is a quality contributor and well respectedmancunian is a quality contributor and well respectedmancunian is a quality contributor and well respectedmancunian is a quality contributor and well respectedmancunian is a quality contributor and well respectedmancunian is a quality contributor and well respected

I reckon we'll see all 4 TE's in action this week. Bennie could operate as some form of H back - a bit like Chris Cooley of the Redskins.
mancunian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2006   #12
Cjeremy635
Overtraining

Rep Power: 31248 Cjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm glad to see Danilels getting the nod. I think he's been a clutch player this preseason and I think he definately deserves a shot at the regular season. That being said, I'm extremely happy to see B.J. make it through the preseaosn unscathed and on the team (we owe him that much IMHO). I hope he gets up to his potential this year as well and finally gets to showcase the talent we thought he had coming out of college a few years back.
Old 09-06-2006   #13
kingh99

too many tight ends. Putzier caught one pass and rumbled. Why isn't he starting? Seems like he's the complete package. Joppru? Went from none to too many. too funny.
Old 09-06-2006   #14
Texans Horror
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 25 Texans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of Famer

I'm all for Daniels starting at TE, but it didn't seem to me that he got that much time in during the pre-season. I thought the starting spot would go to Breuner or Putzier.

A lot of attention was paid to the running backs, and I watch the trenches more than anything else, so I have only a peripheral assessment of the TEs. Does anyone else have a better vantage, or am I the only one a little surprised to see Daniels crack the opening line-up?

Last edited by Texans Horror; 09-06-2006 at 10:56 AM.
Texans Horror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2006   #15
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 272750 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by oso
I'm all for Daniels starting at TE, but it didn't seem to me that he got that much time in during the pre-season.
Daniels saw a fair amount of action--he had 4 receptions in the 1st game alone.

Totals
Daniels 7 for 82
Joppru 4 for 32
Putzier 2 for 26
Bruener 1 for 18
Old 09-06-2006   #16
phan1
All Pro

I don't want to be a hater but I don't really see why Bruner is still on the roster. Kubaik sure likes him a lot for some reason though. I'm not sure how much he's costing us but after getting rid of Armstrong, this guy's about a 1-trick pony as there is. I know his catching skills are underrated, but with Daniels, Putzier, and BJ, I wonder why we should keep him. Should've let him go and keep Smith or Wand here instead.
phan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2006   #17
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10969 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by oso
, or am I the only one a little surprised to see Daniels crack the opening line-up?
I am not. As stated before he had quite a few receptions and it seems like those came mostly on 3rd down where he found a whole in the zones.

But the real reason I am seeing him as the starter is because Kubiak has mentioned time and again that he really sees Daniels as a down in and down out TE. I think we will still see a good chunk of Putzier with the two TE formations.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2006   #18
FILO_girl
I'm not here

Rep Power: 63 FILO_girl is a quality contributor and well respectedFILO_girl is a quality contributor and well respectedFILO_girl is a quality contributor and well respectedFILO_girl is a quality contributor and well respectedFILO_girl is a quality contributor and well respectedFILO_girl is a quality contributor and well respectedFILO_girl is a quality contributor and well respectedFILO_girl is a quality contributor and well respectedFILO_girl is a quality contributor and well respectedFILO_girl is a quality contributor and well respectedFILO_girl is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grid

Agreed. Think we got may have got ourselves a keeper.
FILO_girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2006   #19
Divebomb
Veteran

OD is a STUD!!! I like the fact that the guy came in as a 4th rounder hoping to make the team to a NFL Starter. I think he is getting the start because of his game against Denver. He blocked very well against some very good DE and we all know what he can do with the receiving side of the game.
Divebomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2006   #20
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 25614 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected

Note that many weren't happy we didn't draft a DB at #4; we got a starting TE instead. If he lives up to expectations it'll end up being a very strong pick.

Add that to picking Ryans over Winston in the 2nd and it appears our coaches did more homework than the board. If our rookies continue to play well in live games we had an excellent draft. The coaches are to be commended.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read