Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 09-05-2006   #1
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 72472 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Weary the Starter

Out of the doghouse and onto the field. I think this is great news - has it been discussed somewhere and I just missed it?

I know teams frequently rotate d-lineman; how many teams rotate o-lineman?

Quote:
(on offensive guards) “Well I told you all. I think we have three starters with Chester (Pitts) and Fred (Weary) and Steve ( McKinney ). I think Chester will start and Fred will start. I think Fred has earned the right through training camp to start. It’s nothing Steve has done wrong. Steve’s missed a lot of time and been banged up but he is getting back up healthy and he is going to play. We’re going to rotate those three players, all of them will play. But Chester will start.”

http://www.houstontexans.com/news/de...0Latest%20News
Old 09-05-2006   #2
blockhead83
All Pro

Send a message via AIM to blockhead83

I think that's great news, hadn't heard it as of yet. Weary was a new man this pre-season, and I'm glad Kubiak continued to show the approach of giving the job to who's earned it with their play. McKinney's not going to take this lightly, I imagine he's really going to try and step up his game to reclaim that starting spot....which can only make us better anyways. Big props to Weary, hopefully he carries his pre-season performance into the regular season.
blockhead83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2006   #3
AUSTexan
Rookie

Yeah, I read that a few minutes ago too. I think it's great - Wearly has looked tremendous all pre-season and is a run blocking beast. We'll need his best against the Eagles DL!
AUSTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2006   #4
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

I'd like to thank all the folks who told me I didn't know what I was talking about when I said I thought Weary had shown me he could play over the years....I won't name any names but *cough* *cough* *sescoyote* *cough* *cough*, I remember you.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2006   #5
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 72472 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected

It'll be interesting to see how Milford Brown does in Arizona this year too. I think they have a scheme that suits him.
Old 09-05-2006   #6
AUSTexan
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runner
It'll be interesting to see how Milford Brown does in Arizona this year too. I think they have a scheme that suits him.
Yeah I'm curious about that, too. They need the help over there almost as much as we do.
Old 09-05-2006   #7
southtexan
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUSTexan
Yeah I'm curious about that, too. They need the help over there almost as much as we do.
Didn't McKinney stated not to long ago that he did not like being a back up?
Old 09-05-2006   #8
AUSTexan
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by southtexan
Didn't McKinney stated not to long ago that he did not like being a back up?
Yes he did... I suspect that's why Kubiak keeps talking about having "3 starters", and talking about an OL rotation... I think he's trying to soften the blow to good old mckinney.
Old 09-05-2006   #9
SESupergenius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny
I'd like to thank all the folks who told me I didn't know what I was talking about when I said I thought Weary had shown me he could play over the years....I won't name any names but *cough* *cough* *sescoyote* *cough* *cough*, I remember you.
So Weary has taken what...5 years now to crack the starting lineup, and only when the starter hasn't seen much playing time due to unjury. Tsk tsk tsk, Vinny, you can do better than that. Geez, you've had Carr on a short leash for so long and Weary gets a new slate to work from because of a new coaching staff? Weary's had plenty of time to learn behind veterans while riding the pine, now's his chance. And like I said earlier this year, even Weary gets a clean slate with this new coaching staff. I've rided Weary probably more than anyone, but he gets a new judgement in this new regime, and honestly, he played well in the preseason. My eyes will be on him during this game.

Here's all the comments I've made about Weary:

Quote:
07-26-2004
It still remains to be seen if a few of the draft picks from the last 2 years are panning out (Weary, Hill (gone), Wells, Ragone, Gaffney, Joppru, Peek Wand, etc.) Give a little more time to grade him. I think after this year we can really see where the successes and failures were. 07-26-2004
Quote:
08-16-2004
Weary looked good on play against a matchup that heavlily favored him, other than that, he was a slug.
Quote:
08-15-2004
Weary is not good at all. I'd rather have M. Brown in there than Weary,he just looks completely too slow and sluggish. Add to that a false start at a crucial moment.Old 08-15-2004
Quote:
01-18-2005
3rd rounder Hill and Weary are almost considered complete busts. Hill is not on the team and Weary is just not the guy to handle the position, seems like a career backup that barely makes teams.
Quote:
08-20-2004
Sure it may take him a bit, but he will probably be worth more than Weary, Wells, Hill, Joppru,....you get the point.
Quote:
08-17-2005
Can I just go ahead and say "the sky is falling" now or wait until the homers are knee deep in their search for answers when we are 2-6? Weary has been a slug from the get-go. It's No surpise he isn't working out. Wand is just what he is...potential, far from saying a great prospect. All we heard was that he is a "project", not a great prospect.
Quote:
12-18-2005
Fred Weary: F (bad pick, no fire)
Quote:
02-16-2006
Like I said before, everyone should get a clean slate no matter what you thought of the player before. Carr gets one, no reason Weary should either, and everyone knows that I fired off on Weary for several years now.
Old 09-06-2006   #10
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

a little sensitive aren't we?

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2006   #11
Grid
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2272 Grid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respected

ill eat a small portion of crow and admit that I was dogging on Weary last year and said that I didnt think he had what it took to be any more than a career backup.

I wouldnt say he has entirely proven me wrong yet ..but he has definatly called my opinion in to question.
Grid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2006   #12
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 222017 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

The Texans O-line consisting of Weary , Brown and McKinney did give up 68 sacks last season .... Im glad to see the changes made thus far .... as for Weary he has looked good so far ..... is he an upgrade over McKinney , im not sure , but I do expect to see this team give up far fewer sacks this season than in any of the past simply because of the offensive scheme overall .

I Miss Good Schaub.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2006   #13
run-david-run
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1331 run-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to run-david-run

Anyone still wondering why we sucked last year? Look at that draft...its a disgrace to the proffesion of General Managers that after 3 years you only have two guys from a draft class still on your team...
Then look at this years draft and smile.
Old 09-06-2006   #14
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

This is the final straw. I am now absolutely convinced without reservation
that Kubiak will turn the Texans into a consistant winner ! It may take a couple years to get there, and I don't think we'll do it this year, but its inevitable under Kubiak, GM Smith, & Co.
I was quite surprised by the release of Wand (not so much that Spencer was named the starter), and even more surprised by the other outright release of Robaire.
This move was not stunning to me like the other 2, but just one more indication that Kubiak will play the guy who performs the best on the field now, regardless of the players Draft position, current compensation, or previous performances on the field.
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2006   #15
yourfavoritetexan42
Veteran

I do not mind at all who is the starter... Mckinney is a little old and banged up anyway, even though I always thought he was our best o linemen, he was always consistent and always in the lineup...but thats not always a complement if your talking about the texans lineup.
yourfavoritetexan42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2006   #16
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 168015 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Kubiak/Sherman have done a nice job on the O-line this year. It's now time to produce! The only question left in my mind is Weigert. I'm not sold on him yet. I don't know why and I very well could be wrong on feeling badly about him. Can somebody make me feel better about him being our starting RT? Please.
Old 09-06-2006   #17
SESupergenius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny
a little sensitive aren't we?
LOL. No....ya.
Old 09-06-2006   #18
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX
Kubiak/Sherman have done a nice job on the O-line this year. It's now time to produce! The only question left in my mind is Weigert. I'm not sold on him yet. I don't know why and I very well could be wrong on feeling badly about him. Can somebody make me feel better about him being our starting RT? Please.
He'll do OK ..... until he gets hurt.

Did that help?
Old 09-06-2006   #19
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 168015 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runner
He'll do OK ..... until he gets hurt.

Did that help?
LOL...Not a whole lot but thanks for trying . I guess we're going to find out come Sunday.
Old 09-06-2006   #20
pittbull
All Pro

Send a message via AIM to pittbull

I thought Weary looked average on run blocking, but his pass protection was suspect. There was alot of things happeing on the right side of the line, and he has his share of blame. I would rather have McKinney over there with expereice, even though Weary has an edge in athletically!

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read