Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 09-05-2006   #1
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 74671 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Coach Stuff

Latest fanblog post is mostly about the Texans coaches and where they are hanging out during, at least, a preseason game.

Link: Taking you behind the Texans bench

I am glad Richard Smith is not my boss. He scares me. Hopefully, he is of the good scary variety.
Old 09-05-2006   #2
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 317168 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
If you actually read all that with any amount of interest, you must be excited about the season too.
Yes indeed! Great job, TC. Your insight and humor is always appreciated.
Old 09-05-2006   #3
cuppacoffee
Resident Grouch

Rep Power: 54346 cuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans_Chick
Latest fanblog post is mostly about the Texans coaches and where they are hanging out during, at least, a preseason game.

Link: Taking you behind the Texans bench

I am glad Richard Smith is not my boss. He scares me. Hopefully, he is of the good scary variety.

From the article:

Okay, here's where the Kubiak-Sherman rumor part comes. As I understand through a credible source, Mike Sherman wanted Seth Wand to be the starting left tackle, but Gary Kubiak cut him. Kubiak decided that he would prefer the more physical, larger Spencer as the starter, and was more comfortable with Ephraim Salaam as the swing tackle since he worked with him when they were both in Denver. Rookie Eric Winston has also been practicing on both ends as well.

I have mixed feelings about this. I've been a Wand booster all along, but that's beside the point.

Why hire a guy with Shermans background if you are not going to use his expertise on players within his responsibilty?

But then again, we know what happened to the last Texan head coach who followed his assistants advice.

Bottom line..I guess Kubiak is going to do it his way...Success or failure will be squarely on his back..which is where it should be...

Old 09-05-2006   #4
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 74671 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuppacoffee
From the article:

I have mixed feelings about this. I've been a Wand booster all along, but that's beside the point.

Why hire a guy with Shermans background if you are not going to use his expertise on players within his responsibilty?

But then again, we know what happened to the last Texan head coach who followed his assistants advice.

Bottom line..I guess Kubiak is going to do it his way...Success or failure will be squarely on his back..which is where it should be...

I am sure that it was a tough call. Play on the field aside, Salaam is an articulate veteran that Kubiak was comfortable with in his system and has a history with. Maybe that was part of the balance of things--trying to get a mix of veterans with young guys. And knowing Salaam could play both sides versus Wand who hadn't had that experience.

Ultimately, there are lots of tough calls to make, and in the end, the head coach has to be the one that makes those calls.
Old 09-05-2006   #5
Ibar_Harry
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15 Ibar_Harry was voted MVPIbar_Harry was voted MVPIbar_Harry was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuppacoffee
From the article:

Okay, here's where the Kubiak-Sherman rumor part comes. As I understand through a credible source, Mike Sherman wanted Seth Wand to be the starting left tackle, but Gary Kubiak cut him. Kubiak decided that he would prefer the more physical, larger Spencer as the starter, and was more comfortable with Ephraim Salaam as the swing tackle since he worked with him when they were both in Denver. Rookie Eric Winston has also been practicing on both ends as well.

You said it pretty well. Its puzzling particularly when it is being said there is noticeable improvement in the O-line. I like Kubiak, but I just don't like this decision.
Ibar_Harry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2006   #6
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 31690 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans_Chick
... in the end, the head coach has to be the one that makes those calls.
And that's refreshing to see around here.
Old 09-05-2006   #7
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 182216 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

Kubiak better be glad Victor Riley was'nt in the mix ... he would still be deciding .
Old 09-05-2006   #8
Ye Olde Pro
Rookie

Wand just may have been more of a project than Kubiak figured we have time for. Then again, it seems that everybody was pretty hip on the two rookies and had the rated higher than they went. Salaam, is a real solid player that is pretty versatile, and he's familiar with the system. No spoon feeding necessary here.

I guess I'm with cupocoffe on this one, success or failure, it all falls at Kubiaks feet. I'm going to trust his judgement, after all, we all see how successful a head coach I am!!
Ye Olde Pro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2006   #9
flylikeaneagle
Veteran

Default Texans on 610: Questions

Texans to Eagles players on 610. Here was the funniest:

Sportstalk: Mario( Williams), how do you plan to stop McNabb from making huge plays on Sunday?

Mario: (Laughing) Donovan is my QB when I play Madden, of course it's gonna be tough!

LMAO!!!!
flylikeaneagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2006   #10
SESupergenius

?

Mario said: (laughing)

Mario has shown he has a funny side?

What was your poing?
Old 09-07-2006   #11
flylikeaneagle
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SESupergenius
?

Mario said: (laughing)

Mario has shown he has a funny side?

What was your poing?

I thought it was funny. Work on your sense of humor, will ya?
Old 09-07-2006   #12
flylikeaneagle
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by flylikeaneagle

Sportstalk: Mario( Williams), how do you plan to stop McNabb from making huge plays on Sunday?

Mario: (Laughing) Donovan is my QB when I play Madden, of course it's gonna be tough!

LMAO!!!!

This has nothing to do with Coach Stuff so why was this merged with another thread? It's suppose to be a 610 interview thread with all the players.
Old 09-07-2006   #13
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 114958 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by flylikeaneagle

LMAO!!!!
He was also asked he played himself versus McNabb and the only thing he said was "Icouldn't get to him"

http://www.houstontexans.com/news/de...0Latest%20News
Old 09-07-2006   #14
flylikeaneagle
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX
He was also asked he played himself versus McNabb and the only thing he said was "Icouldn't get to him"

http://www.houstontexans.com/news/de...0Latest%20News

That is great.

DE Mario Williams

(on whether he will be nervous Sunday) “Obviously, I will be excited, but I’m not really nervous about messing up or anything like that. I’m just going to try to do what I can to help the team.”

(on whether he is excited about facing QB Donovan McNabb) “Well I play with him on Madden so…But he’s a great player, and it’s going to be a challenge, a challenge that we all, as a unit, try to contain or try to stop him, or slow him down at least.”

(on whether he has played Madden as himself against McNabb and how that went) “I could never get to him.”
Old 09-07-2006   #15
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14626 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

Like I said before man, Mario must be bad at Madden because I've sacked Mcnabb 8 times while I was playing Mario.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2006   #16
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ye Olde Pro
Wand just may have been more of a project than Kubiak figured we have time for. Then again, it seems that everybody was pretty hip on the two rookies and had the rated higher than they went. Salaam, is a real solid player that is pretty versatile, and he's familiar with the system. No spoon feeding necessary here.

I guess I'm with cupocoffe on this one, success or failure, it all falls at Kubiaks feet. I'm going to trust his judgement, after all, we all see how successful a head coach I am!!
Well I already called my shot on Mr. Spencer. But truely thought Wand would make the club also. Thought Mc would be the odd man out with Bedel playing so well.

Nice post. Don't be a stanger.
threetoedpete is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read