Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 09-05-2006   #1
HeartofHouston
Veteran

Default Your Texans Defense...

Okay we all see the depth chart and some people feel that it looks good and some people don't but if you were to name the starters for your Texans Defense what would it look like on Sept 10th ?... (keep in mind current injuries and what nots)

Sanders - Brown - Earl - Robinson
Orr ------- Ryans ------ Greenwood
Peek - Johnson - Payne - Williams
Old 09-05-2006   #2
V Man
Pumpkinhead

Rep Power: 19 V Man could be on the next Madden coverV Man could be on the next Madden coverV Man could be on the next Madden coverV Man could be on the next Madden coverV Man could be on the next Madden coverV Man could be on the next Madden cover
Send a message via MSN to V Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeartofHouston
Okay we all see the depth chart and some people feel that it looks good and some people don't but if you were to name the starters for your Texans Defense what would it look like on Sept 10th ?... (keep in mind current injuries and what nots)

I like 10 out of your 11, but I don't think you sign Weaver and have him sit (unless there is an injury I don't know about). Replace Peek with Weaver and you have my starting D
V Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2006   #3
powerfuldragon
g'mornin to you

Rep Power: 27214 powerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to powerfuldragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by V Man
I like 10 out of your 11, but I don't think you sign Weaver and have him sit (unless there is an injury I don't know about). Replace Peek with Weaver and you have my starting D
exactly what i was thinking. Pop peek in there on passing downs.
Old 09-05-2006   #4
V Man
Pumpkinhead

Rep Power: 19 V Man could be on the next Madden coverV Man could be on the next Madden coverV Man could be on the next Madden coverV Man could be on the next Madden coverV Man could be on the next Madden coverV Man could be on the next Madden cover
Send a message via MSN to V Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerfulDragon
exactly what i was thinking. Pop peek in there on passing downs.
And slide Weaver down for Payne at DT, and get after them.
V Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2006   #5
SESupergenius

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeartofHouston

Honeslty, on paper does that defense scare you?
Our backfield has to be one of the weakest in the division, if not the league. But hey, we can't revamp this team in just one off season. We are going to get torched a few times and Ryans will need time to get adjusted.
Old 09-05-2006   #6
Tayton
Veteran

No, that backfield is not going to scare anyone but it is probably the best that we have ever had.
Tayton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2006   #7
tulexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 28 tulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famer

Shouldn't it be Your not You're?
tulexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 09-05-2006   #8
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 323680 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

I was hoping RichardSmith could work some magic and get some coverage from our safeties, but I haven't seen anything resembling such in the Preseason.

But I think our tandem hit just as hard as any pair in the league.

& while I agree, you don't pay a guy a bunch of money to put him on the bench, you have to play your best players.

--------Babin-----TJ-----Payne-------Mario--------
--DR--------Orr----Ryans-----Wong--------PBUch--
----------Earl----------------------CC-----

on Passing downs, Mario slides to DT, Peek comes on the Weekside.

Wong is supposed to be ready isn't he??
Old 09-05-2006   #9
jerek
Pro Hobbyist

Rep Power: 11661 jerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to jerek

In run situations my front four would be: Williams | Payne | TJ/Weaver | Weaver/Babin

In pass situations: Williams/Babin | Payne/Williams | Weaver | Peek

LBs: Orr | Ryans | Greenwood

DBs: Robinson | Earl | Brown | Buchanon

Sanders is "good enough" but IMO Buchanon has looked better this preseason. I would chance it on Buchanon's upper-echelon athleticism early on. Not sure if the coaches disagree with me tape-wise or if there is something going on in practice that I'm not aware of, but I am a little surprised if Sanders is the starter as of now.
Old 09-05-2006   #10
feebleminded

Rep Power: 9068 feebleminded is a quality contributor and well respectedfeebleminded is a quality contributor and well respectedfeebleminded is a quality contributor and well respectedfeebleminded is a quality contributor and well respectedfeebleminded is a quality contributor and well respectedfeebleminded is a quality contributor and well respectedfeebleminded is a quality contributor and well respectedfeebleminded is a quality contributor and well respectedfeebleminded is a quality contributor and well respectedfeebleminded is a quality contributor and well respectedfeebleminded is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss
Wong is supposed to be ready isn't he??
He was PUPed
feebleminded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2006   #11
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14626 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

Kubiak has mentioned that Sanders earned the starting job. I know he didn't do much last year but who did. I am going to give him the benefit of an offseason to see how much better he has become.
El Tejano is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2006   #12
STEEL BLUE TEXANS
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10214 STEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respected

Weaver - TJ - Payne - Mario

Orr - Ryans - Greenwood

Robinson - Earl - CC - Sanders
STEEL BLUE TEXANS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2006   #13
real

My Defense and Why:

Starters: Sanders/Earl/Brown/Robinson
..............Orr/MeCo/Greenwood
..............Weaver/TJ/Payne/Mario

Although some on the board have undermined Weavers play, contrary to popular belief, Weaver is our best Defensive Lineman. He plays his role; He isn't there to make a bunch of plays. He is essentially there to not be moved. That is why they switched Mario to weakside; so they can take advantage of his athleticism. Weaver has played SDE better than any player on our team. TJ and Payne are our best DT's excluding Mario. Mario is better suited for WDE than he is SDE. On the weakside the DE is more free to make plays and will be operating in space, so therefore has to be athletic. The reason Sanders gets the start over Buchannon is because Sanders is way more physical than Buchanon, and if we are going to be as agressive as advertised our Corners have to be physical and able to make solo tackles on Running Backs and Wide recievers. as ther won't be much help from blitzing linebackers...

Passing Situations: Babin/TJ or Weaver/ Mario/ Peek
*LB's and Safeties remain the same except Buchannon needs to be on the field

Babin and Peek Are pass rushing fools...These guys should be in on every definite passing play. Neither are capable of being full time starters at this point. Weaver and TJ are interchangeable...I don't expect many sacks from either one...And Mario is Mario....I moved him to inside so we can have our best pass rushers on the field. And Buchannon is a cover corner and on passing plays he should be money.
Old 09-05-2006   #14
PhillyFan
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tayton
No, that backfield is not going to scare anyone but it is probably the best that we have ever had.

Agreed. It isnt scary, but it is decent.

Dunta is a great young player. If the Texans can manage to keep him long term, they will be in great shape on that side of the field for a long time.

There are a few other spots that are lacking. But as mentioned, it wont happen overnight. Within 3 or 4 more years, things will turn around.

Heck, this might be the first winning season in franchise history. Thats something to be happy about right there.
PhillyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2006   #15
jmerog
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtruroyaltyx
My Defense and Why:

Starters: Sanders/Earl/Brown/Robinson
..............Orr/MeCo/Greenwood
..............Weaver/TJ/Payne/Mario

Although some on the board have undermined Weavers play, contrary to popular belief, Weaver is our best Defensive Lineman. He plays his role; He isn't there to make a bunch of plays. He is essentially there to not be moved. That is why they switched Mario to weakside; so they can take advantage of his athleticism. Weaver has played SDE better than any player on our team. TJ and Payne are our best DT's excluding Mario. Mario is better suited for WDE than he is SDE. On the weakside the DE is more free to make plays and will be operating in space, so therefore has to be athletic. The reason Sanders gets the start over Buchannon is because Sanders is way more physical than Buchanon, and if we are going to be as agressive as advertised our Corners have to be physical and able to make solo tackles on Running Backs and Wide recievers. as ther won't be much help from blitzing linebackers...

Passing Situations: Babin/TJ or Weaver/ Mario/ Peek
*LB's and Safeties remain the same except Buchannon needs to be on the field

Babin and Peek Are pass rushing fools...These guys should be in on every definite passing play. Neither are capable of being full time starters at this point. Weaver and TJ are interchangeable...I don't expect many sacks from either one...And Mario is Mario....I moved him to inside so we can have our best pass rushers on the field. And Buchannon is a cover corner and on passing plays he should be money.
I was thinking exactly the same thing. i like peek and mario on the same side too. Peek and babin should definatly be in on passing downs and mario will collapse the pocket from the inside with superior size/athleticism. i prefer weaver to TJ on passing downs at this point but i am willing to be persuaded if TJ steps up and becomes what he was billed to be when drafted.

I predict (you can quote me on this" that we will be a top 10 defense this year with the realistic possibility of being a top 5 defense. Call me crazy if you need to but we will all see soon enough.
Old 09-05-2006   #16
AggieTexanFan
Rookie

Are best defensive backfield was when we had Glenn opposite Robinson
AggieTexanFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2006   #17
RiotCommander
All Pro

Send a message via ICQ to RiotCommander Send a message via AIM to RiotCommander

I'm going to go a little outside of the box on this one.

Weaver/TJ/Mario/ Peek

Greenwood/Ryans/Orr

D-rob/Brown/Earl/Sanders

My reasoning behind this is we could shift from the 4-3 to the 3-4 giving Philly different looks. While I don't love Peek in pass protection he still is able to play LB.
RiotCommander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2006   #18
real

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiotCommander
I'm going to go a little outside of the box on this one.

Weaver/TJ/Mario/ Peek

Greenwood/Ryans/Orr

D-rob/Brown/Earl/Sanders

My reasoning behind this is we could shift from the 4-3 to the 3-4 giving Philly different looks. While I don't love Peek in pass protection he still is able to play LB.
What do you mean by this statement...And suppose we did shift to a 3-4...who's your other MLB ? Greenwood ? no thank you....

*edit: are you saying you like peek more as a LB than DE ?
Old 09-05-2006   #19
RiotCommander
All Pro

Send a message via ICQ to RiotCommander Send a message via AIM to RiotCommander

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtruroyaltyx
What do you mean by this statement...And suppose we did shift to a 3-4...who's your other MLB ? Greenwood ? no thank you....

*edit: are you saying you like peek more as a LB than DE ?

I'm sorry I thought what I was saying was obvious. You could have Peek stand up and move back into a LB before the snap giving McNabb something else to think about. I think this may actually work better with Babin as I think he was a better Linebacker, but I like Peek better on the line. I don't know that we have a person that could do both equally as well. The point behind it is confusing McNabb so he doesn't always know what we are doing before the snap.

It could be a bad idea *shrug*
RiotCommander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2006   #20
TexanFanInCC
Hall of Fame

Send a message via AIM to TexanFanInCC Send a message via Yahoo to TexanFanInCC

what i want to know is what did TJ do to earn a starting spot? was the just that damn good this preseason and i didnt realize it?

this is the defense i want to start...

peek - payne - weaver - m. williams
orr - ryans - greenwood
sanders - brown - earl - robinson

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read