Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 09-04-2006   #1
TexanSam
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 29759 TexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Peter King predicts Texans to go 5-11

From SI.com on his Monday Morning QB:

Quote:
Houston, 5-11. Bill Polian told me for 10 minutes this summer how good Houston is going to be -- and soon. That must be why he's won Executive of the Year a jillion times and I'm up at 4:30 in the morning writing this. I just don't see it -- yet. But I like Gary Kubiak a lot, and if anyone can turn David Carr around, I think Kubiak can. He'll make a running game out of chicken feathers. I don't see the ingredients there on defense yet.
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200...04/mmqb/3.html

EDIT: Peter King not Kings, I can't change the title of the thread though.
TexanSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2006   #2
run-david-run
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1331 run-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to run-david-run

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexanSam
From SI.com on his Monday Morning QB:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200...04/mmqb/3.html

EDIT: Peter King not Kings, I can't change the title of the thread though.
I really cant respect any article that claims the Titans will win 7 games. Especially when it claims the reason they will do so is VY, the guy who will be sitting on the bench the whole year. He also offers very little other then opinion in our section, all in all, a very unremarkable and predictable article from an over-hyped, underinforemd national media source...
Old 09-04-2006   #3
Insideop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 12237 Insideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by run-david-run
I really cant respect any article that claims the Titans will win 7 games. Especially when it claims the reason they will do so is VY, the guy who will be sitting on the bench the whole year. He also offers very little other then opinion in our section, all in all, a very unremarkable and predictable article from an over-hyped, underinformed national media source...

Dito! Couldn't have said it any better myself!
Insideop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2006   #4
Napa Auto Parts
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17 Napa Auto Parts could be on the next Madden coverNapa Auto Parts could be on the next Madden coverNapa Auto Parts could be on the next Madden coverNapa Auto Parts could be on the next Madden coverNapa Auto Parts could be on the next Madden coverNapa Auto Parts could be on the next Madden cover

5-11 well weve earned some respect. good to see that
Napa Auto Parts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2006   #5
TexasJedi
Hall of Fame

I just like the part about Bill Polian saying good things about the Texans, which of course King ignores completely.
-Mario #90
TexasJedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2006   #6
flylikeaneagle
Veteran

Dang predictions. Texans will win 6.... hopefully 7.
flylikeaneagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2006   #7
Hookem Horns
That Server Guy

Rep Power: 109600 Hookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respected

He is also predicting Dallas to win the Super Bowl. I guess writing at 4:30 in the morning will make you write some stupid things.
Hookem Horns is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 09-05-2006   #8
flylikeaneagle
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hookem Horns
He is also predicting Dallas to win the Super Bowl. I guess writing at 4:30 in the morning will make you write some stupid things.

Well, I HATE Dallas but you have to admit... their Defense will be incredible. The offense is questionable. They might make the playoffs but they are not winning a playoff game.
flylikeaneagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2006   #9
quicksilver
Overweight

Another opportunity to bash Peter King. The fact is (and I've posted this before) Peter King is a human interest writer, not a nuts-and-bolts football writer. Anytime he tries to be the latter, he's fooling himself. King is very good when he sticks to his strengths--networking with NFL insiders (like Polian), communicating the experience of gameday, and giving us the human story on the guys who play the game.
Old 09-05-2006   #10
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 80496 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

Well, we went 2-14 last year, so he's predicting as low as he can on the spectrum. These media people don't want to sound stupid to all the uninformed readers. You just can't say, "The Texans could go 10-6 this year," and risk your reputation like that, even though it could happen.

HJam72 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2006   #11
ojthecat
Veteran

if you total up all of the wins and losses in King's predictions they should come out equal for each win there would be one loss. Well they dont that tells me that he is just pulling numbers out of his crainium or somewhere he did not really do a complete schedule prediction for each team.
Old 09-05-2006   #12
mexican_texan
Furry Tractors

Rep Power: 1699 mexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm starting to wonder...maybe some of the guys here would only respect a writer if they see the Texans in a good light. 5-11=uneducated(not reffering to this one)
11-5=genius

mexican_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2006   #13
Grid
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2272 Grid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respected

I wont fault anyone for any prediction as long as they back it up with solid reasoning and research.

5-11 is a reasonable prediction if you look at our situation in certain ways.

10-6 is also reasonable from a different perspective.

anything outside of that range.. I think you are either laying on the homerism, or the ignorance, a little too much.

this is JMO.

*EDIT* and btw.. King wears his ignorance like a cloak.
Grid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2006   #14
Malloy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 13222 Malloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respected

If we end up 5-11 but show improvement in the actual game, I'm fine with that.
Old 09-05-2006   #15
kingh99

Most of these guys are just filling dead air with their predictable picks. The formula involves taking whatever team shone in the previous couple of years and put them in the favorites category. Invariably even odds teams bust and long odds teams come out of nowhere. I guess we'll have to wait and see if the Texans are the beneficiaries of one of those miracle turnarounds. I remember Carolina came on strong after one great draft. So far the 2006 Texans draft looks to have potential for greatness.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read