Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 09-04-2006   #1
Texans34Life
I BLEED TEXANS!

Rep Power: 1028 Texans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respected
Default What do you guys think of Payne starting at DT?

Texans | Payne earns starting spot
Mon, 4 Sep 2006 11:18:43 -0700

John McClain, of the Houston Chronicle, reports Houston Texans DL Seth Payne has earned a starting spot at defensive tackle.

Is he going to be an upgrade over Robaire Smith in this 4-3 defense?

HoustonTexans4Life - 2010-2011 CHAMPION of TexansTalk Survivor and TexansTalk Pick'em
Texans34Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2006   #2
Dr. Toro
All Pro

Rep Power: 10 Dr. Toro is on the Pro-Bowl ballotDr. Toro is on the Pro-Bowl ballot

Always been a big Payne fan. Every game I had the pleasure to attend he stood out to me. I think our D-Line's gonna be just fine.
Dr. Toro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2006   #3
LORK 88
Wreck'em Ŧech!

Rep Power: 202 LORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to LORK 88

He works to hard to not be an upgrade in the 4-3 defense. Our aggresive style of defense will benefit him more than it would Robaire.
Old 09-04-2006   #4
Dr. Toro
All Pro

Rep Power: 10 Dr. Toro is on the Pro-Bowl ballotDr. Toro is on the Pro-Bowl ballot

Agreed, LORK. I'm no expert on the finer points of DL play and I liked Robaire, but Payne always showed a lot of fire and energy out there, getting penetration, etc.
Old 09-04-2006   #5
Maddict5
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5500 Maddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans34Life
Texans | Payne earns starting spot
Mon, 4 Sep 2006 11:18:43 -0700

John McClain, of the Houston Chronicle, reports Houston Texans DL Seth Payne has earned a starting spot at defensive tackle.
megan manfull will be pissed that john broke this story...especially as it was her that broke the controversial story that he was move from NT to DT....
Maddict5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2006   #6
Dr. Toro
All Pro

McClain is saying the Texans cut Smith because he was too pricey to be a backup and they favored Payne for the run stuffing. McClain says this move also means you can count on Weaver and Williams moving to the inside on passing downs. Don't know if thats news to anyone.
Old 09-04-2006   #7
jerek
Pro Hobbyist

Rep Power: 9120 jerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to jerek

Don't have a problem with it. He's better than Robaire IMO. He'll never blow you away but he's plenty sufficient.
Old 09-04-2006   #8
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

IMO most agree his "natural" position is playing nose tackle in the 3-4.
He's probably only an average 4-3 lineman, but is always hustling and
is the consumate team player.
Apparently the coaches felt he was Robaires equal, though I was always under the impression that Smith was rated higher. But financially keeping
Payne instead of Smith was the easy decision, which surely was a very big
factor in Payne's retention & Smith's release.
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2006   #9
K.D.
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by LORK 88
He works to hard to not be an upgrade in the 4-3 defense. Our aggresive style of defense will benefit him more than it would Robaire.
Yo, I was thinking the same. Payne is going to give you everything he's got and for a new HC, that's what you are asking these guys for. I always thought Payne should start over Smith. He might not be as quick, but his hustle is irreplaceable.
K.D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2006   #10
Ye Olde Pro
Rookie

Default Hurrah For Payne

Good for Payne! He's a good solid inside guy who ties up two people on most plays. Is quicker off the ball than Robaire, and mybe penetrates a bit better.
Certainly no push over. I wonder if it's gonna be Williams, Johnson, Payne and Weaver as the starting four when the whistle blows.

I also have a feeling that you'll see Peake rotate putting Weaver inside on third down. Man am I looking forward to this. My only question for the Eagles game is Westbrook.
Ye Olde Pro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2006   #11
phan1
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunusguy
IMO most agree his "natural" position is playing nose tackle in the 3-4.
He's probably only an average 4-3 lineman, but is always hustling and
is the consumate team player.
Apparently the coaches felt he was Robaires equal, though I was always under the impression that Smith was rated higher. But financially keeping
Payne instead of Smith was the easy decision, which surely was a very big
factor in Payne's retention & Smith's release.
If you're a starting nose tackle, I think it's impossible to be just an average 4-3 DT. Nose Tackle requires much more strength and skill cause you've got 2 gaps to control instead of 1 in the 4-3. Payne should be a great run-stuffer for us.
phan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2006   #12
edo783
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 4641 edo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respected

I have always thought he was our best inside DT. Strong and will give it all he has all the time. Can't ask much more of anyone.

De Oppresso Liber
edo783 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2006   #13
TexanFanInCC
Hall of Fame

Send a message via AIM to TexanFanInCC Send a message via Yahoo to TexanFanInCC

im fine with the decision. i thought seth payne performed pretty well last season. i like the leadership he brings.
Old 09-04-2006   #14
TexansLucky13
53d Signal Batt

Rep Power: 1061 TexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respected

Payne will be exceptional in the 4-3. I have always liked him.
Old 09-04-2006   #15
done88
Veteran

Before he got hurt he was the heart and soul of the defense. I was very dissappointed when he went down. He never got the chance to be the guy again after that.
Old 09-04-2006   #16
mexican_texan
Furry Tractors

Rep Power: 1699 mexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Payne is like "Rudy," but with experience and leadership that could help our relatively young D-line, defense, and team as a whole.

Travis Johnson must have really worked his arse off to not only avoid being cut, but to work his way out of Kube's doghouse(supposedly) and into the starting DT position(I assume.)
mexican_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2006   #17
TexanFanInCC
Hall of Fame

Send a message via AIM to TexanFanInCC Send a message via Yahoo to TexanFanInCC

payne and the travis johnson i hope to see....that is one nasty interior. throw in weaver, and nobody is running past those three
Old 09-05-2006   #18
Scooter
Funky

Rep Power: 78537 Scooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respected

payne's always been the best DT we've had. his style is more suited to the 3-4 NT because he's a slow and powerful guy who commands double teams, but he'll be fine in this system. correct me if i'm wrong, but i dont think he saw much time this preseason with the first team. i think he's going to affect the ends a lot more than robaire, weaver, or TJ ever could because he MUST be double teamed (one guy on payne, i dont care who it is, is offensive suicide). what i like about what this does to the line though is that (hopefully) it allows weaver to slide back inside so that we can get a better pass rush from babin, peek, & mario on the outside ... weaver didnt show me that he was able to generate consistant pressure, but babin & peek deffinately did. between the fear of mario, and the knowledge of payne, offenses are going to run out of blockers.
Old 09-05-2006   #19
O.G.
Veteran

Send a message via AIM to O.G. Send a message via Yahoo to O.G.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LORK 88
I third that. He gives more push. You have a younger Robaire in Travis.
Old 09-05-2006   #20
Rightnow
Veteran

I wonder if Smith will be picked up by anyone and if he will be a starter? Capers and Cass really picked some winners.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read