Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 09-04-2006   #1
brewhaus
All Pro

Exclamation Thin at DT?

Since Robaire Smith was cut, we are looking a little thin in the middle. It might just be me, but I think we need more there than we have.
brewhaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2006   #2
aj.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 658 aj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respected

More as in numbers or talent?

They probably won't keep more than 4 DTs with Mario and even Weaver in a pinch being able to rotate inside.

Malone isn't a slouch. He's improved his game significantly in the last year. He's a big body but he can move. Rick Smith was just on the radio and he sounds really high on Ellison. Big, strong, quick, and young.
aj. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2006   #3
brewhaus
All Pro

Experience. Seth Payne is the elder now (10 years). Johnson is in his second year.
Ellison is a second year player. Malone is a second year player Weaver is listed as an end, but I think he could be moved inside. It just looks thin to me.
Old 09-04-2006   #4
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 66422 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Here is my Atiyyah Ellison was drafted in 05 #89 overall by the Carolina Panthers via the Denver Broncos from Green Bay for a salary cap violation.

Atiyyah is a wide body with athletic ability & contract wise is much more cap friendly than Robaire Smith.

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2006   #5
brewhaus
All Pro

I read that up through the first three weeks of the season, the Texans have first dibs on any player cut by another team. If we still have one more spot to fill, I am wondering if it will be a DT they pick up.
Old 09-04-2006   #6
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 212977 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewhaus
I read that up through the first three weeks of the season, the Texans have first dibs on any player cut by another team. If we still have one more spot to fill, I am wondering if it will be a DT they pick up.
This is where the new GM earns his keep . Going thru the scrapheap looking for a something usefull .

Round Dan
Honoring Earl 34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2006   #7
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 268617 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

I am not really seeing what the Texans see in Atiyyah Ellison, either in what he's shown in the NFL or his collegiate profile...........

ANALYSIS

Ellison is a quiet personality who was a leader by example. He took junior tackle C.J. Moseley under his wing and the two formed the best tackle tandem in the Big 12 Conference, as they led a Tigers defense that ranked second in the league and 14th nationally in total yards allowed (301.4 per game) in 2004. He has made steady progress in his two years working on the interior of the front wall. He has natural strength and plays much quicker than his timed speed, but lacks consistency in his performance.

Ellison has a quick burst off the snap and developed active hands and a quick arm-over action to get an edge on the blocker. He shows good lateral agility to string plays wide, and while he makes most of his tackles in the backfield, he is also effective tracking down the ballcarrier along the sidelines. However, he seems to get too erect in his stance when he comes off the snap, resulting in him losing leverage and failing to generate power needed to control at the point of attack.

For a player of his strength, he relies too much on his quickness to gain penetration and will sometimes fail to get hand position. This leaves his chest exposed for the offensive linemen to lock on and sustain. He plays with good effort and shows the body control to make plays down the line.

With 6 quarterback sacks during his career, Ellison cannot be considered an effective pass rusher. He would be the first to admit that he lacks any real good pass-rush moves. He is light in the trunk (skinny legs) and this causes him to struggle against double teams when he gets fails to stay at a low pad level. He shows marginal hand usage and does not jolt the offensive guards backwards when trying to generate pressure on the quarterback. He does show the athletic agility, quick feet and playing speed to read screen passes and can get out to the flat to make tackles behind the line of scrimmage.

He has made strides in the interior, but lacks consistency. He would be better served in a two-gap system, as he does not the explosiveness to play in the one-gap. Ellison has good natural talent but needs to add lower-body bulk. He is not the type that will generate a strong push into the backfield, but he has the body control to slide down the line and make plays sideline to sideline. With so many teams relying on speed from the under tackle position, Ellison could fill that bill later in the second day of the draft.

INJURY REPORT
No injuries reported.

AGILITY
4.93 in the 40-yard dash 435-pound bench press 564-pound squat 369-pound hang clean 28-inch vertical jump 9-foot-3 broad jump 32-inch arm length 9-inch hands Left-handed.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 09-05-2006   #8
HeartofHouston
Veteran

I must admit that when we cut Robaire it kinda shook me up a lil bit and made me worry about the depth at DT but once I sat and thought about it. We maybe or may not be thin at DT but we have lots of depth and versatility at DE.

Mario and Weaver can both play DT in passing situations while Peek and Babin pin their ears back at the end position.

Also on the bright side in my opinion what if this move is a signifying that Peek will be more active for us and Weaver will be moving inside at the tackle position. we could have Peek - Weaver - Payne/Johnson - Mario on the field for us and I personally like the way that situation pans out.
Old 09-05-2006   #9
brewhaus
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeartofHouston
I must admit that when we cut Robaire it kinda shook me up a lil bit and made me worry about the depth at DT but once I sat and thought about it. We maybe or may not be thin at DT but we have lots of depth and versatility at DE.

Mario and Weaver can both play DT in passing situations while Peek and Babin pin their ears back at the end position.

Also on the bright side in my opinion what if this move is a signifying that Peek will be more active for us and Weaver will be moving inside at the tackle position. we could have Peek - Weaver - Payne/Johnson - Mario on the field for us and I personally like the way that situation pans out.
Peek - Weaver - Payne/Johnson - Mario.....That sounds like "one hell of a wrecking crew", I like it.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read