Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

Old 09-03-2006   #1
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 54156 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Steve Foley shot

http://www.kusi.com/home/3815221.html

A San Diego Charger was shot Sunday morning by an off duty police officer. It happened around 3:30 Sunday morning..when an off duty Coronado police officer started following a man who was driving erratically. Police say the driver is Chargers linebacker Steve Foley.
The officer identified himself several times as a police officer, but Foley would not pull over. Foley then drove to his own neighborhood in Poway where he got out of the car and his girlfriend got behind the wheel. Police say Foley came at the officer who fired a warning shot. The woman then drove the car at the officer. The officer fired into the car, then shot Foley. But police say Foley kept coming, and the off duty officer shot him several more times. Foley was taken to Sharp Hospital for surgery. The woman was taken into custody. No charges have been filed yet. Steve Foley was arrested back in April for battery on a police officer and public drunkeness.
Old 09-03-2006   #2
Mr. White
H-Town Beatdown

Rep Power: 18101 Mr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respected

If this happened in Austin, they would be calling for jail time for the cop.
We b trippin with Nelly. Me and Mr Dancing With the Stars Warren Sapp.
Mr. White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2006   #3
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 104725 Carr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respected

DUMB...............I've heard the phrase 10 feet tall and bullet proof, but come on......thats flat out retarted.

This is exactly why I call people hypocrites when they bash the NBA for being a league of thugs, the NFL is by far worse, Drug abuse, alcohol abuse, drunk driving, vehicular manslaughter, disorderly behavior, demestic disputes, wife battery and assault, its just people dismiss it as the NFL is a violent sport and its their nature.
Carr Bombed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2006   #4
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 297041 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Battle Red Bull
If this happened in Austin, they would be calling for jail time for the cop.
And if it had happened in Houston they would be releasing funeral service details tomorrow morning once his family had made arrangements.
Old 09-03-2006   #5
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 297041 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luv_ya_blue
So how does the NFL being a league of idiots, in anyway negate the fact that the NBA IS a league of "thugs?"
True, they're not mutually exclusive. We can have more than one league of idiots as well as more than one league of thugs.
Old 09-03-2006   #6
Farough
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 880 Farough is a quality contributor and well respectedFarough is a quality contributor and well respectedFarough is a quality contributor and well respectedFarough is a quality contributor and well respectedFarough is a quality contributor and well respectedFarough is a quality contributor and well respectedFarough is a quality contributor and well respectedFarough is a quality contributor and well respectedFarough is a quality contributor and well respectedFarough is a quality contributor and well respectedFarough is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via MSN to Farough

It doesnt 'negate' the fact, although I don't think that the NBA is just a league of thugs. There are far worse things that NFL players have been doing in recent years as far as crimes go than NBA players have been. The media always refers to NBA players as thugs, I don't know if its because most the players are black and dress in baggy clothing or what but it's very stereotypical.

I'm going to guess that this is what Carr Bomb was talking about.
Farough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2006   #7
Hervoyel
The Right Track

I'd think it would be obvious Farough. Both leagues are full of these "thugs" but in the NFL everyone (including the players more often than not) pretends that this isn't the case (but deep down we all know it is).

In the NBA many of the players often go out of their way to be seen as thugs. It's like acting and dressing this way is in style or something. I don't know which is worse, the NFL and it's hypocrisy or the NBA and it's clearly warped perspective. Both are far off base.

I'd hold up MLB as some kind of shining example but it's got it's own problems with "juicing" along with it's fair share of hypocrisy, thugs, greed, and rampant fan "bending-over" (which also take place in the other two big leagues).
Old 09-03-2006   #8
Farough
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 880 Farough is a quality contributor and well respectedFarough is a quality contributor and well respectedFarough is a quality contributor and well respectedFarough is a quality contributor and well respectedFarough is a quality contributor and well respectedFarough is a quality contributor and well respectedFarough is a quality contributor and well respectedFarough is a quality contributor and well respectedFarough is a quality contributor and well respectedFarough is a quality contributor and well respectedFarough is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via MSN to Farough

They dress the way they do because of where they come from. Dressing like that doesn't make them thugs. What have they done/ what are they doing for everyone to think they are?

Either way, the NBA is trying to better their image by making them dress up for team function, etc. But personally, I don't think the NBA is as bad as most people think it is.
Farough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2006   #9
mexican_texan
Furry Tractors

Rep Power: 1699 mexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

It might be the fact that there are more players in the NFL than the NBA, which means more "thugs."
mexican_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2006   #10
rmartin65
I'm Score

Rep Power: 64727 rmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respected

Thats weird. I hope he is ok, but it was a stupid thing for him to do. I was born at Sharp by the way.
rmartin65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2006   #11
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

"About 3:30 a.m., the off-duty officer started following a suspected drunk driver in the area of northbound Highway 163 and Highway 52, Brugos said. The vehicle was described as weaving and its speed ranged from 30 to 90 mph and nearly hit several vehicles, he said."
http://www.signonsandiego.com/sports...foleyshot.html
Good thing the drunk didn't kill somebody with his car.
Here's a more lengthy report of the incident from the local newspaper out there.
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2006   #12
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 104725 Carr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farough
It doesnt 'negate' the fact, although I don't think that the NBA is just a league of thugs. There are far worse things that NFL players have been doing in recent years as far as crimes go than NBA players have been. The media always refers to NBA players as thugs, I don't know if its because most the players are black and dress in baggy clothing or what but it's very stereotypical.

I'm going to guess that this is what Carr Bomb was talking about.
Exactly that was my point, for some reason the NBA gets a bad rap, while the NFL skates clean and I also don't think the NBA is "full of thugs". When was the last time a major story came out about a NBA player doing something really bad off the court......Kobe Bryant.....a couple of years ago, then before that....when..... I don't think the NBA is "full of thugs", I just think they are portrayed that way. You hear about a Basketball player getting involved with something once in a blue moon, but hear about a football player every week and I don't think it has anything to do with the fact that there is more football players, because its the same players doing it over and over.

Last edited by Carr Bombed; 09-04-2006 at 12:34 PM.
Carr Bombed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2006   #13
The Dude Abides
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 39 The Dude Abides is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Dude Abides is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Dude Abides is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Dude Abides is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Dude Abides is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Dude Abides is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Dude Abides is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Dude Abides is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Dude Abides is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Dude Abides is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Dude Abides is a quality contributor and well respected

So Steve Foley gets shot. Let's keep discussing that instead of "thugishness"
Old 09-03-2006   #14
Errant Hothy
Hypermediocrity

Rep Power: 34649 Errant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunusguy
"About 3:30 a.m., the off-duty officer started following a suspected drunk driver in the area of northbound Highway 163 and Highway 52, Brugos said. The vehicle was described as weaving and its speed ranged from 30 to 90 mph and nearly hit several vehicles, he said."
http://www.signonsandiego.com/sports...foleyshot.html
Good thing the drunk didn't kill somebody with his car.
Here's a more lengthy report of the incident from the local newspaper out there.
It wouldn't have mattered even if he had, see Leonard Little.

And I seriously doubt anything will happen to Foley, either from the legal system or the NFL.
Errant Hothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2006   #15
TexansLucky13
53d Signal Batt

Rep Power: 7167 TexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respected

He better put on some bandaids and get back on the field, and fast. I have the Chargers as my starting D/ST for the season (I benched the Bucs since they are playing Baltimore of whom I think will have an excellent year). Don't let me down!
Old 09-03-2006   #16
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 243112 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Bottom line, we're dealing with a new generation of players who go from rags to immediate riches inheriting a boat load of irrevocable money, with a sense of entitilement which has been nutured throughout college, with no sense of responsibility, and not comprehending the meaning of "NO".................all the ingredients for a delinquent end.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2006   #17
TexansLucky13
53d Signal Batt

Rep Power: 7167 TexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respected

"You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to CloakNNNdagger again."

Excellent post Cloak. Sorry I cant give you more rep!
Old 09-04-2006   #18
Dime
Hall of Fame

If he was on the road in Texas.. he would have been shot just for weaving on the road.. and he would have been shot many times.. Most of the gunshot wounds being non leathal.. Most texas cops cant shoot stright, but they shoot many many times.
Old 09-04-2006   #19
texan279
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 13829 texan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaiser Toro
http://www.kusi.com/home/3815221.html

A San Diego Charger was shot Sunday morning by an off duty police officer. It happened around 3:30 Sunday morning..when an off duty Coronado police officer started following a man who was driving erratically. Police say the driver is Chargers linebacker Steve Foley.
The officer identified himself several times as a police officer, but Foley would not pull over. Foley then drove to his own neighborhood in Poway where he got out of the car and his girlfriend got behind the wheel. Police say Foley came at the officer who fired a warning shot. The woman then drove the car at the officer. The officer fired into the car, then shot Foley. But police say Foley kept coming, and the off duty officer shot him several more times. Foley was taken to Sharp Hospital for surgery. The woman was taken into custody. No charges have been filed yet. Steve Foley was arrested back in April for battery on a police officer and public drunkeness.
I didn't read the article just the snippet that was posted and I don't know the facts but sounds kind of odd to me. How would an off duty officer identify himself in a moving vehicle to someone else in a moving vehicle, especially if the officer was following the behind the vehicle and not next to it? Was he screaming out the window or something? Something just doesn't add up here IMO. And if I am driving at 3:30 in the morning and someone does try to tell me they are a police officer and are in an unmarked car and tries to get me to stop I don't think I would stop either. I don't know how things work where this took place but in Texas officers don't fire "warning shots", the only time your gun is unholstered is when you intend to use it if need be.
Old 09-04-2006   #20
Tale Gator
________

Rep Power: 15 Tale Gator could be on the next Madden coverTale Gator could be on the next Madden coverTale Gator could be on the next Madden coverTale Gator could be on the next Madden coverTale Gator could be on the next Madden coverTale Gator could be on the next Madden cover

I'm going to wait and here both sides of this story before passing judgement. On the surface it is a little odd that an off duty cop is following a suspected drunk driver and ends up shooting him 3 times.
Tale Gator is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read