Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 09-03-2006   #1
pancho
Rookie

Default Running game

I'm starting to get nervous. Lundy doesnt do it for me. 500 yards his senior year? Late draft pick? It feels like a point is trying to be made. The system is greater than conventional wisdom.
pancho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2006   #2
texflex513
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by pancho
I'm starting to get nervous. Lundy doesnt do it for me. 500 yards his senior year? Late draft pick? It feels like a point is trying to be made. The system is greater than conventional wisdom.
Lundy and Morency together should make the system very effective. Domanick would have been our starter..but we have to make do with what we have and these 2 guys together i think will get the job done.
texflex513 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2006   #3
Samer
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by texflex513
Lundy and Morency together should make the system very effective. Domanick would have been our starter..but we have to make do with what we have and these 2 guys together i think will get the job done.
I agree
Old 09-03-2006   #4
killeentexan
Rookie

Quote:
Yeah, cause late round picks and even undrafted free agents can't make it in the NFL at running back. Not that Lundy is as good as, or will have the same success as them...but one just has to look at some recent late round/undrafted free agents to know that drafting is not an exact science. Terrell Davis (6th round), Priest Holmes (undrafted), Willie Parker (undrafted, Mike Anderson (undrafted). Those are just a few off of the top of my head. Lundy may or may not have the success some of them have had, but like Willie Parker, Lundy was overlooked coming out of college and landed on a team and in a system that just may work for him.

It's Wali's World
killeentexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2006   #5
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

Before this years college Draft, how many would have predicted the Texans
would be starting a rookie running back in the season opener this year whose name wasn't Reggie Bush ?
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2006   #6
wolf123
All Pro

Rep Power: 2802 wolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Just so you know, Lundy was injured his senior year. Kubes mentioned this in his post-practice comments yesterday. This is the main reason he fell so far.
wolf123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2006   #7
brewhaus
All Pro

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf123
Just so you know, Lundy was injured his senior year. Kubes mentioned this in his post-practice comments yesterday. This is the main reason he fell so far.
Does anyone think Ron Dayne is going to end up with the Texans?
brewhaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 09-03-2006   #8
PapaL
Loose Screw

Rep Power: 168146 PapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewhaus
Does anyone think Ron Dayne is going to end up with the Texans?
No. I dont understand everyones infatuation with Dayne. The guy is horrible. Has done nothing in the NFL. Had one good game with Denver last year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Bills View Post
I can confidently say im smarter, better looking, and more successful than you will ever be.

Last edited by PapaL; 09-03-2006 at 04:07 PM.
PapaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2006   #9
brewhaus
All Pro

He didn't do anything in Denver. This ain't Denver. I think Kubiak is going to give him some consideration.
Old 09-03-2006   #10
Roughnecks
Veteran

Rep Power: 90 Roughnecks is a quality contributor and well respectedRoughnecks is a quality contributor and well respectedRoughnecks is a quality contributor and well respectedRoughnecks is a quality contributor and well respectedRoughnecks is a quality contributor and well respectedRoughnecks is a quality contributor and well respectedRoughnecks is a quality contributor and well respectedRoughnecks is a quality contributor and well respectedRoughnecks is a quality contributor and well respectedRoughnecks is a quality contributor and well respectedRoughnecks is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by LCROD
No. I dont understand everyones infatuation with Dayne. The guy is horrible. Has done nothing in the NFL. Had one good game with Denver last.
The reason is he knows the system and could be a good option in the red zone I am tiried of field goals but that being said I would not want him if he is injuried I trust Coach K and all in all no one just jump out at me during these cuts.
Roughnecks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2006   #11
PapaL
Loose Screw

Rep Power: 168146 PapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewhaus
He didn't do anything in Denver. This ain't Denver. I think Kubiak is going to give him some consideration.
Still the NFL, and he hasnt done anything in the NFL. 6 years in the league, average 3.7 yards per carry (5.1 while at Denver - most of which came off of 1 game - 14 ypc).

Quote:
I can confidently say im smarter, better looking, and more successful than you will ever be.
Old 09-03-2006   #12
football freak
Rookie

I think it will be hard to pass on Lee Suggs or Charlie Rogers.
football freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2006   #13
PapaL
Loose Screw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roughnecks
The reason is he knows the system and could be a good option in the red zone I am tiried of field goals but that being said I would not want him if he is injuried I trust Coach K and all in all no one just jump out at me during these cuts.
I'm all for brining in talent, but Dayne is not it. Would rather have an injured Davenport or Suggs instead of Dayne. (You might be able to tell I really dislike his game) He has never been the back he should have been. Not a short yardage back, will not move the pile.

Quote:
Old 09-03-2006   #14
brewhaus
All Pro

Picking any of these guys is like rolling the dice. They all have some medical history baggage with them.
Old 09-03-2006   #15
football freak
Rookie

could you imagine {all healthy of course} Johnson, Moulds, Mathis and Rogers on the field at the same time.
football freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2006   #16
Roughnecks
Veteran

Rep Power: 90 Roughnecks is a quality contributor and well respectedRoughnecks is a quality contributor and well respectedRoughnecks is a quality contributor and well respectedRoughnecks is a quality contributor and well respectedRoughnecks is a quality contributor and well respectedRoughnecks is a quality contributor and well respectedRoughnecks is a quality contributor and well respectedRoughnecks is a quality contributor and well respectedRoughnecks is a quality contributor and well respectedRoughnecks is a quality contributor and well respectedRoughnecks is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I'm all for brining in talent, but Dayne is not it. Would rather have an injured Davenport or Suggs instead of Dayne. (You might be able to tell I really dislike his game) He has never been the back he should have been. Not a short yardage back, will not move the pile.
I hear you I don't care for it either but I think he his above the curve because of where he is coming from. Myself I would look for DB help looking at Middlebrook from Denver, Demps from the Lions or even Mickens from the Jets don't stone me I just think we take a look depth maybe, because we are are thin in that area.
Roughnecks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2006   #17
Dr. Toro
All Pro

Rep Power: 10 Dr. Toro is on the Pro-Bowl ballotDr. Toro is on the Pro-Bowl ballot

I think of all these high talent/ low production guys, Calico and Davenport are the most intriguing. Davenport has done some unspeakable things but is among the most physically gifted players in the game. Calico is huge with that 4.34 and still young, but injuries have been a major concern.

Back to our running game though, did anyone else interpret Kubes comments in the chron the way I did:
A) he thinks the world of Lundy
B) Lundy is the featured back, not just the starter... Morency will spell him, not split carries.

People make much of Kubes commitee approach in Denver, but that's not necessarily his preference. He tended to give the job to guys like Griffin, Droughns, Gary, Anderson, Davis, etc. until somebody took it away or they got injured.
Dr. Toro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2006   #18
pittbull
All Pro

Send a message via AIM to pittbull
Default Great Dayne

I think Ron Dayne is going to get signed. A big back and I thik that Kubiak liked him, but Shanahan wasn't a big supporter of him. Look for #33 to be roaming the backfield soon! Knows Kubiaks way, the Denver scheme, easy adjustment, and we don't have the time to teach new guys a system in 6 days before Philly!
Old 09-03-2006   #19
D-ReK
RAWWWRR!

Rep Power: 685 D-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by pittbull
Look for #33 to be roaming the backfield soon!
#33 already is roaming the backfield, and I think Kubiak likes him too...

Old 09-03-2006   #20
Chris Taylor MVP
Rookie

Default Ron Dayne

Chris Taylor is a better football player than Ron Dayne. He will prove this true as soon as he is given the chance. Chris is a determined, hard nosed player who will help the Texans WIN (not just participate) many football games if given a chance during the regular season. He will soon prove more valuable than Lundy or Morency. Some continue to focus on Chris not being drafted and being a first-year player in the NFL. As spoken by others, many players have been spectacular in the NFL after being overlooked in the draft. As far as experience goes, I'll take Chris Taylor's speed, athleticism, guts and drive over some experienced guys any day. Mark my words, Chris will be a star in this league, it's just a matter of giving him the ball and playing time!

Quote:
No. I dont understand everyones infatuation with Dayne. The guy is horrible. Has done nothing in the NFL. Had one good game with Denver last.
Chris Taylor MVP is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read