Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 09-02-2006   #1
Hottoddie
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 21460 Hottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respected
Default How does the Texans getting first pick of FA's work?

I've heard that they get first dibs. Does that mean they get the first shot at claiming every player (within the 53 man roster limit limitation) off the waiver wire? Or, does it mean they get the first shot at only one player?

The Texan Bull Rush
Welcome to "Sack City, USA"!
Hottoddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2006   #2
texanfan2100
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hottoddie
I've heard that they get first dibs. Does that mean they get the first shot at claiming every player (within the 53 man roster limit limitation) off the waiver wire? Or, does it mean they get the first shot at only one player?
First pick on any and every player that is waived.
texanfan2100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2006   #3
jerek
Pro Hobbyist

Rep Power: 9120 jerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to jerek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hottoddie
I believe we get first shot at every player.
Old 09-02-2006   #4
EF55
Rookie

1st shot at any player... but what does that actually mean, any player cut can still play anywhere he wants, Do they get the right to match other teams offers?
EF55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2006   #5
Hottoddie
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 21460 Hottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respected

Thanks guys.

The Texan Bull Rush
Welcome to "Sack City, USA"!
Hottoddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2006   #6
texanfan2100
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by EF55
1st shot at any player... but what does that actually mean, any player cut can still play anywhere he wants, Do they get the right to match other teams offers?
No, I think that if the player goes through the waiver wire unclaimed, then they become an unrestricted free agent. If they're claimed, they go to the team that claims them. No choice, no negotiations. I'm not totally sure about this though.
texanfan2100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2006   #7
|The.Brand0n|
Rookie

So maybe I have this wrong... there is a difference between being cut and being waived... if a player is CUT he has say in where he ends up, but if a player is waived then the Texans have first pick @ him... If this is the case, then my hopes for Charles Rogers are pretty much done... - Brand0n
Old 09-02-2006   #8
DRAMA
All Pro

Send a message via Yahoo to DRAMA

Are the freaking Broncos EVER gonna make their cuts? Or will they wait until
:02 left before announcing it - kinda like their starting lineups each week at RB.
DRAMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2006   #9
tulexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 27 tulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by |The.Brand0n|
So maybe I have this wrong... there is a difference between being cut and being waived... if a player is CUT he has say in where he ends up, but if a player is waived then the Texans have first pick @ him... If this is the case, then my hopes for Charles Rogers are pretty much done... - Brand0n
The Texans do have the first chance at Rogers.
tulexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2006   #10
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 88913 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

http://forums.denverbroncos.com/show...&page=13&pp=15

thread on bronco cuts
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2006   #11
|The.Brand0n|
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by tulexan

Old 09-02-2006   #12
Maddict5
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5500 Maddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by tulexan
and his #2 overall contract...im going to guess he makes it through the waiver wire
Maddict5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2006   #13
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 88913 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

well I was looking at his scouting report.. willing to block stands out(a must in a kubiak system) ..yet weaknesses

Quote:
Positives: He has a rare combination of size, speed, receiving skills and athletic ability with a great future. Is a vertical receiver who will not be caught from behind. His hands are outstanding and athletic ability is exceptional. Great leaper. His speed is deceptive, much like that of Marvin Harrison, and Rogers is never really covered. Had a streak of 13 consecutive games with a touchdown. Can pluck and snatch and make the one-handed catch. Makes difficult catches look easy. Extends and goes up for the ball. Outmuscles defenders. Sells his routes. Aggressive. Willing blocker. Gets separation and shows make-you-miss. Has beaten the nation's best corners and really shows up in big games.

Negatives: Has a superstar's attitude. Is loud, cocky and immature but very competitive. Needs work on underneath routes; tries to break everything off deep. Isn't afraid to work but relies on ability. Doesn't beat the jam consistently and needs to learn to beat double-team. Loses concentration at times, making drops running before the catch.

Summary: Top-five pick who has the ability and athleticism to dominate at the next level. Shows the playmaking ability of Andre Rison and better speed and consistency than Plaxico Burress. Not as fast as Randy Moss, but is more reliable and a better person.

* Player biographies are provided by Pro Football
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfldraft/t...player?id=7195
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2006   #14
Maddict5
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5500 Maddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respected

dont mind pre-draft scouting reports...he was cut for a reason...corey bradford among others beat him out
Maddict5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2006   #15
Sarg01
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddict5
and his #2 overall contract...im going to guess he makes it through the waiver wire
Actually he can be had for just his base salary. The Lions have to cover the cap space for all his signing bonuses, even if he's not playing for them anymore. So the Texans only have to pay his actual salary. Most early draft picks get huge amounts of bonuses and a relatively small salary - since the bonus are guaranteed, they're much more desirable for the player than salary, doubly so for unproven rookies.
Sarg01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2006   #16
gooneybird
Rookie

Default Claims

I believe we have to cut a player, in order to claim a player. So my question is who do we want to cut from our current 53 to claim a new player?
gooneybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2006   #17
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 171407 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf
well I was looking at his scouting report.. willing to block stands out(a must in a kubiak system) ..yet weaknesses

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfldraft/t...player?id=7195
This is BEFORE his history of injury, injury, injury and more injury............he's reinjured during TC. There is no mention of his PREDRAFT substance abuse........... and, of course, he learned from his 1st round.........just to subsequently REPEAT it in the NFL. He MAY have lost one of his "negatives," i.e., "cockiness," but the rest listed have continued to plague him during the little amount of time that he has been able to get on the field.
CloakNNNdagger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2006   #18
wolf123
All Pro

Rep Power: 2801 wolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respected

Apparently we only have priority until 11:00 this morning.

(on the deadline to make waiver claims) “Eleven tomorrow morning is our deadline to make claims.” - houstontexans.com (latest news, post-practice comments)
wolf123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2006   #19
Brandon420tx
Flounder

Rep Power: 12627 Brandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Brandon420tx

and that time is passed...

Edit: Unless Rick Smith is still on Denver Time...
Old 09-03-2006   #20
Ibar_Harry
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15 Ibar_Harry was voted MVPIbar_Harry was voted MVPIbar_Harry was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon420tx
and that time is passed...

Edit: Unless Rick Smith is still on Denver Time...
I'm probably the lone wolf out there, but who has Smith brought in so far that we really like. They say he is doing a good job, but I'm trying to figure out at what. The draft class was a reflection of Kubiak and Casserly, not Smith. From what I have seen so far, I think Kubiak and Casserly were on page better than Smith and Kubiak. Right now I have Capers' vibes about Smith. I hope I'm wrong, but I wasn't on Capers. By the way that's not what I want. I hope Smith turns out great, but there is just something that doesn't seem right to me and I can't totally put a finger on it.
Ibar_Harry is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read