Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 09-02-2006   #1
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10969 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected
Default What is your opinion of the cuts.

I guess you could say I wanted the veterans there like Cowart and A. Smith but the good news is I don't see it really hurting our team.

All I know is last year at this time we were wondering why any of the guys that actually contributed didn't make the team.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2006   #2
powerfuldragon
g'mornin to you

Rep Power: 22258 powerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to powerfuldragon

If they were going to cut a RB, it should have been DD.
Old 09-02-2006   #3
TexanBacker93
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11283 TexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respected

I initially felt Cowart would make the team. Since he doesn't play on special teams and lost the starting spot to Ryans he became expendable. Other than that I wasn't surprised by any of the cuts. I wonder if one of the remaining cuts will be from the O-Line, though. I can't imagine they keep 11.
Old 09-02-2006   #4
TexanBacker93
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11283 TexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm guessing they will try and put Porter on the practice squad. I'd like to see another rule change dealing with rosters. I think they should allow each team to carry 54, but one is the emergency QB that can only play if the other 2 get hurt. Similar to how it is now, but add one roster spot. Just my opinion, but I hate to keep a roster spot for a 3rd QB that almost never is needed. Getting a kicker like Koenen in Atlanta that punts and kicks is a good way to keep another position player.
Old 09-02-2006   #5
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 281064 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm not all that surprised at any of the cuts. It's clear that many of the great football minds of the forum have been mentioning these players were on the cuff, so it reinforces that information.
Old 09-02-2006   #6
RiotCommander
All Pro

Send a message via ICQ to RiotCommander Send a message via AIM to RiotCommander

The only cut that was surprising to me was Wand. I really thought from everything Kubs said that he would be the starter on opening day with the Eagles. Spencer clearly was/is going to get the job, but I didn't see this one coming.
RiotCommander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2006   #7
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 194858 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

I'm glad they put DD on IR. IMHO, there were two things that I wanted to see from this new coaching staff.
1) give David Carr every oportunity to succeed. give him the tools, the coaching, and the time. I think we owe it to him after 208 sacks.
2) Take care of DD. just like Carr, what he has done for this team has sealed his spot as the starter. But with DDs knee issues, we didn't need to force him onto the field, and we should do everything we can to get him back on the field. If that means we need to pay him $5 million to sit on the IR list, then that's what that means.

If Lundy, Morency, or whoever ends up producing well for us in '06 then it only makes sense for DD to compete for the job next year. If we still have no clear cut guy going into '07 TC, then it's DDs job.
Old 09-02-2006   #8
Trapped
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiotCommander
The only cut that was surprising to me was Wand. I really thought from everything Kubs said that he would be the starter on opening day with the Eagles. Spencer clearly was/is going to get the job, but I didn't see this one coming.
http://www.houstontexans.com/team/ro...n=TH%20Players

seth wand is in the roster. or am i missing something??
Most users ever online was 1,493, 04-28-2006 at 09:04 PM
Trapped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2006   #9
RiotCommander
All Pro

Send a message via ICQ to RiotCommander Send a message via AIM to RiotCommander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trapped
http://www.houstontexans.com/team/ro...n=TH%20Players

seth wand is in the roster. or am i missing something??

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/front/4159272.html
RiotCommander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2006   #10
Trapped
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiotCommander
i see the other thread now. wow im dumb. thanks
Most users ever online was 1,493, 04-28-2006 at 09:04 PM
Trapped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2006   #11
edo783
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 4641 edo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respected

I thought they would keep Wand around as OT depth, but other than that....pretty much what I expected.

De Oppresso Liber
edo783 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2006   #12
Ibar_Harry
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15 Ibar_Harry was voted MVPIbar_Harry was voted MVPIbar_Harry was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by edo783
I thought they would keep Wand around as OT depth, but other than that....pretty much what I expected.
The Wand move I disagree with, but you win some and loose some is all I can say. At least right now BJ has made the team and I'm happy that has happened. I just don't think Salem is the way to go, but we have to trust their decisisons.
Ibar_Harry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2006   #13
shansmacker
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerfulDragon
If they were going to cut a RB, it should have been DD.
Rediculous
shansmacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2006   #14
chuckm
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14 chuckm was voted MVPchuckm was voted MVPchuckm was voted MVPchuckm was voted MVP

Kubiak cut bait ..... it's his team now .... the changes have only begun, IMO
Old 09-02-2006   #15
TexanExile
Square 1 again

Rep Power: 3475 TexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respected

This was the best thing for Wand, if he couldn't win the job. He needs a change in a bad way...or it could be that he's just not starter caliber. (He's certainly done a lot to prove that possibility in Houston.) He's had chance after chance and given the possibility of 2 rookie starters on the OL, I agree with keeping a veteran of comparable ability over a guy who may never get to the right level.

Maybe he can get it done somewhere else. He has a lot of starts under his belt and may get a look somewhere...linemen are always in demand. (Well, almost always, Todd.)

I think the last 2 roster moves were the right ones, even though I wish PUP were an option for DD. Certain things he said in interviews, though, made me feel like his heart wasn't in it this year, so maybe he can come back in '07 as a rejuvenated veteran backup to Lundy or Morency.
TexanExile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2006   #16
TEXANRED
Texan-American

Rep Power: 42948 TEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respected

Cowart suprised me just b/c Rainer is on IR, Wong is on the PUP so that leaves Ryans and Polk to play middle.

Maybe they plan on Greenwood playing a little MLB.

Suprised we cut both the 3 and 4 QB.

Other than that I was pulling for Smith, but not suprised. Taylor is younger and faster.

This coaching staff really did a good job in scouting.

TEXANRED is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read