Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 09-02-2006   #1
texflex513
All Pro

Default Rookie Starters

Charles Spencer and Owen Daniels are going to be our starters along with Wali Lundy on Sept 1Oth im assuming spencer will play left tackle...How do you guys think these 3 will do ?
texflex513 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2006   #2
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10969 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

I am a little shaky about the start of the season with a rookie LT going against the Eagles Dline in week one and then Dwight Freeney in week two.

As for the other two, I think they will do fine and either they will have a good game or an unnoticed game.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2006   #3
Sportsfan
All Pro

Don't forget Demeco and Mario, thats 5 rookies starting if i'm counting them all. Says a lot about our draft and what Kubiak thinks of them. If all of these guys are ballers, we'll have a hell of a football team for years to come.
Sportsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2006   #4
Trapped
Veteran

gyea, 5 rookie starters. that's alot. i guess we have the most rookie starters in the nfl starting week 1.
Most users ever online was 1,493, 04-28-2006 at 09:04 PM
Trapped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2006   #5
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 194572 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportsfan
Don't forget Demeco and Mario, thats 5 rookies starting if i'm counting them all. Says a lot about our draft and what Kubiak thinks of them. If all of these guys are ballers, we'll have a hell of a football team for years to come.
Hopefully it is more indicative of our Rookies excelling at their respective postions, and not a statement against our talent from last year(which wouldn't be saying much)
Old 09-02-2006   #6
RiotCommander
All Pro

Send a message via ICQ to RiotCommander Send a message via AIM to RiotCommander

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss
Hopefully it is more indicative of our Rookies excelling at their respective postions, and not a statement against our talent from last year(which wouldn't be saying much)

I was thinking the same thing.
RiotCommander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2006   #7
PoolMaster21
Rookie

Quote:
Right on Sportsfan! Let 'em get started with a little OJT!!!
PoolMaster21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 09-02-2006   #8
TexanExile
Square 1 again

Rep Power: 3475 TexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Says a lot about our draft and what Kubiak thinks of them.
Yes it does, and it says a lot about last year's roster, too. Around the league there seem to be quite a few ex-Texans getting cut without getting re-signed anywhere. Still waiting for those re-signings of Jerry DeLoach and Todd Wade, for instance. Anyone? Anyone? Tony Banks, maybe? Marcellus Rivers?

(Don't let the door hit ya, Charley.)

I'm also optimistic about this young roster--especially the defensive rookie starters--but I'm also prepared to shrug my shoulders at a slow (possibly 1-3) start. It could very well happen and I don't think it's an indication that the new era is doomed. This team's destined for late-season wins, I think, so I hope that these young guys get a fair shot from the fans during the first half of the season.
TexanExile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2006   #9
Brandon420tx
Flounder

Rep Power: 12627 Brandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Brandon420tx

In 2004 we had 4 starters on defense (Not sure how many we had on offense ... if any) look how that turned out.
Old 09-02-2006   #10
Texans86
All Pro

Just think, that's six draft picks that will be starting (including the traded 5th for Moulds). That's not a bad draft at all.
Old 09-02-2006   #11
TK_Gamer
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 13 TK_Gamer was voted MVPTK_Gamer was voted MVPTK_Gamer was voted MVPTK_Gamer was voted MVP

well spencer's biggest problem early on is not gonna be giving up the sack so much as holding calls, he has bad(rookie) footwork and so he gets out of position at times and his nature does not allow him to get beat, so he grabs on. depending on the timing, this could end up a huge drive killer. I hope he works on his footwork everyday.

he's the only rookie starter that scares me some.
Old 09-02-2006   #12
V Man
Pumpkinhead

Rep Power: 19 V Man could be on the next Madden coverV Man could be on the next Madden coverV Man could be on the next Madden coverV Man could be on the next Madden coverV Man could be on the next Madden coverV Man could be on the next Madden cover
Send a message via MSN to V Man

It doesn't suprise me, this is Kubes team so he is going to go with his players.

Also it shows how bad the talent the last coaching staff had accumulated (also it would only be four if DD wasn't hurt).
V Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2006   #13
CoachJim
Veteran

Send a message via AIM to CoachJim Send a message via Yahoo to CoachJim

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexanExile
...Around the league there seem to be quite a few ex-Texans getting cut without getting re-signed anywhere.
Billy Miller & Jay Foreman were cut today by the Aints too. Thank me for makin your point.
Old 09-02-2006   #14
texflex513
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachJim
Billy Miller & Jay Foreman were cut today by the Aints too. Thank me for makin your point.
B miller was one of my favorites.... i feel bad he did not make the caints roster.
texflex513 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2006   #15
CoachJim
Veteran

Send a message via AIM to CoachJim Send a message via Yahoo to CoachJim

Quote:
Originally Posted by texflex513
... the caints roster.
I don't care who ya are, thats funny ... never heard "Caints" before.
Old 09-03-2006   #16
TexansBull
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 9598 TexansBull is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBull is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBull is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBull is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBull is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBull is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBull is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBull is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBull is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBull is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBull is a quality contributor and well respected

5 starting rookies...it almost like an expansion team...

Does starting a rookie at LT give David Carr more time to prove himself?
TexansBull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2006   #17
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

I think its great the Texans are starting all of these rookies. As HC Kubiak, GM
Smith, and others have said these guys will make rookie mistakes, and some
of those mistakes may cost us football games. So be it, because IMO we need to be in long-term mode again, which is to say only the most foolish
optimists would think we have a chance for the playoffs this year. That will take a couple of seasons or so.
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2006   #18
brewhaus
All Pro

Spencer plays like a bull. He looked like a "smash mouth" player to me.
I think Lundy is the real deal...time will tell if that is true or not. Daniels won't have to do much to show better than Bruener.
brewhaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2006   #19
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 164009 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewhaus
Spencer plays like a bull. He looked like a "smash mouth" player to me.
I think Lundy is the real deal...time will tell if that is true or not. Daniels won't have to do much to show better than Bruener.
I doubt seriously that he will ever replace the brute blocking that Bruener had afforded us.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2006   #20
TK_Gamer
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 13 TK_Gamer was voted MVPTK_Gamer was voted MVPTK_Gamer was voted MVPTK_Gamer was voted MVP

I agree CND, bruener was basicly a converted tackle with some agility. daniels is more like a converted reciever. a big one, but without the strength and blocking. bruener was one of, if not , the best blocking tight end in football. we were very fortunate to have him

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read