Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 09-02-2006   #1
Ye Olde Pro
Rookie

Smile 9-7 is a Very Realistic Expectation

For those of you who don't believe, go no further!
But if you know in your gut, that this team is going to turn around, read on!

First off, we have got to stand and cheer for Joppru. Here is a guy that coming out of college, (Michigan no less, hardly a slouch program) with good size, great hands, and the ability to make things happen after the catch. What's he done you ask? (I told you non believers to go sit down somewhere), He has gotten hurt, several times and continues to fight back. And most recently he has come back with a vengence. I can't think of another young player that has had his kind of courage and desire to succeed, that was willing to keep trying until he finally got there. This kid is for real, and I believe he will be a intregal part of this offense this year. Gotta love the kid!!!

Second, our offensive line. The addition of Flanagan was huge! A solid anchor to build a solid group on. Moving McKinney, adding the two rookies Spenser, and Winston. Watching Chester and Fred play their butts off. Vastly improved play. I'll say no more.

Third, our running game. I said it before and I'll say it again. Reggie Bush will not be the wizard you all think he is once NFL line backers get a paw on him he's dust! Forget him. This group of rookies is fast and hungry. They were obviously well scouted, and are just as obviously well coached. This scheme was runner friendly in Denver, it will be here. And once Davis gets well?

Defensively, we are sooooo much better than last year. OK, I'll say it!
Anybody, I said Anybody that can't see the tremendous contribution That Mario Williams has made to this team is either flat our blind! And/or doesn't know jack about Defensive Football! His very presence on the line creates a problem for ANYBODY's offensive scheme. I don't care where you put a player like this, he's going to take up a lot of your interest and more than likely two of your players on every stinking down!!! Guess what folks, that does two things. It creates an opportunity for 3 possible players. The strong safety, because more than likely the tight end will be the second guy on him. The Sam linebacker, same reason. Or the tackle in the opposite gap. One of these guys should have an opportunity to get to the ball. Enuff said...

And last but not least, David Carr. I don't know if any of you have been around folks that have been shot at alot. Well I have, and it takes a toll on the mental processess of everything you do. For the first four seasons Carr has been on his Butt more than his feet it seems. So, tell me, is it any wonder that the guy is prone to rushing his passes, maybe making a bonehead call or two? He will be fine. Under Kubiak's tuteledge, and behing this line, he will slowly start to settle down and have enough confidence to win over even the worst of the Nay sayers. I figure about mid season we'll see him settle down into what we expected of him when we drafted him.

All in all folks, we really do have some pretty good reasons to be optomistic about this team. So 9-7 is quite realistic to me. GO TEXANS!!
Ye Olde Pro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2006   #2
HoustonFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 HoustonFan HoustonFan HoustonFan HoustonFan HoustonFan HoustonFan HoustonFan HoustonFan HoustonFan HoustonFan HoustonFan
Send a message via AIM to HoustonFan Send a message via MSN to HoustonFan Send a message via Yahoo to HoustonFan

Gotta be an optimist. Awesome post YOP. I won't be throwing this team under the bus anytime soon, b/c there is upside to this team. I'm in agreement w/ you about Carr - if any of us had been sacked as many times as he has we might be just as jittery. Hopefully he gets adjusted to this system quickly and starts and continues to light it up. This team has the potential of being a high scoring offense

I'm HOPING that D. Davis heals up. Tough break for the guy.

Defense has looked good, and I think they are only going to get better. Concerned about P. Buc as a Corner though. He seems to attract many penalties, hopefully he can flip that in OUR favor.
Old 09-02-2006   #3
BigDTexansFan
All Pro

am in agreement on Texans being vastly improved, my only complaint is I think you were TOO CONSERVATIVE on total...LOL

Jacksonville for all it's BIG total last season struggled against us. We have swept Tennessee and Jacksonville and Indy wil have problems without Edge (split), that is 5 games in our division we can win..look at rest of schedule

Philedelphia....We get back to winning right away WIN

Dallas..their O-Line makes 2005 Texans O-Line look good WIN

Cleveland...one of only 2 games we won last year, we can beat them again WIN

Oakland...they are rebuilding and retooling, but against our offense and defense..not soon enough WIN

Buffalo..they are headed down for awhile till they get ship righted WIN

NY Jets...they are going to be drafting high (Top 5) again WIN

Miami..We beat them to become ONLY expansion team to win back to back season openers (also Richard Smith Def coordinator knows their weakness) WIN

New England....2003 Super Bowl Champions went to last 15 seconds of overtime with team that went 5-11. Patriots not what they once were WIN

By my tally that makes it 13-3

Tough Games

will be Washington, N Y Giants, Indianapolis in Indy (We could win them but it is not a given)
Old 09-02-2006   #4
texflex513
All Pro

I can never get enough optimism about this season.... This is the most excitement i have had about football in a long time great post...TEXANS4LIFE!
texflex513 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2006   #5
southtexan
Veteran

I predicted 8-8 and maybe I'm very optimistic. Our team looked good during the preseason, now I need to see it during the season which is an entirely different animal. If the team performs on the same level as the preseason we should have a "good" season.... 8-8 at best. I hope am wrong but we have some young players and inconsistency is to be expect with young players and a new system.
Old 09-02-2006   #6
powerfuldragon
g'mornin to you

Rep Power: 22258 powerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to powerfuldragon

6 wins.
Old 09-02-2006   #7
TexasAggie
Rookie

Thumbs up

I can't see anything better than 7-9 maybe with alot of calls that go our way 9-7 but that is it.
TexasAggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 09-02-2006   #8
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72200 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm still going with 8-8. I could see it as higher, but our competition in the first half will be brutal.

HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2006   #9
MrMeToo
All Pro

1 or 2 more wins from last year is a realistic expectation for me.
MrMeToo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2006   #10
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 317168 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Nice post, Ye Olde Pro, and I dig your optimism.

I'm more of a hopeful 8-8 fan, but I can see great potential in this team right now. I think we'll be competitive in games, and it's an 'any given Sunday' mentality if we can hang with the good teams.

Years 2 and 3 of Kubiak are when my expectations kick into overdrive. But I've got a lot of hope for this season, too.
Old 09-02-2006   #11
Speedy
Yeller Dweller

Section: 547 - Row A - Dark Side
Rep Power: 52676 Speedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respected

As I've said many times, a better coaching staff alone last year and this team is a 6 maybe 7 win team. Yes I realize that for all of eternity it will be known as 2-14, but this here NFL is a funny game. Just when you think you're getting it figured out, a 4-12 team goes to the Super Bowl the next year.

Last year I think I went with a 9-7 prediction. Bought into the progression the team was making record wise and all. This year I think we are in a much better position, best pre-season in team history, a coaching staff that actually coaches, yet I'm going conservative, I think, and say we go 8-8 this year. The schedule does appear to be pretty tough so we may have a rough go of it at times, but if this team truly has improved, they're going to have to beat some of those good teams.
Speedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2006   #12
Ye Olde Pro
Rookie

Smile Really Dissappointed about DD

But not really surprised abouth Seth Wand. O line needs to have, and has been showing a bit more aggressiveness. That will get even more so with a couple of wins. My biggest concerns, like several of you, regard Phil Buchanon. I didn't like it when they picked the dead beat up from Oakland, and I don't like it now. I understand it....he plays spec teams, but still don't like it. He would be my first waiver wire casualty if I were King!

I won't be too surprised to see one of the backs like Dayne show up. And I like Chas Anderson, but not that much. If something better comes along, cie la vie!

I'll stick with my prediction. There is a distinct possibility that 9-7 will make the wild card. Think about ot. If we win 9, somebody in our division is going to be odd man out, and it will upset the comfort zone that the rest of the AFC has.

It will be interesting........Did I mention that I'M PUMPED!!!
Ye Olde Pro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2006   #13
RiotCommander
All Pro

Send a message via ICQ to RiotCommander Send a message via AIM to RiotCommander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ye Olde Pro
But not really surprised abouth Seth Wand. O line needs to have, and has been showing a bit more aggressiveness. That will get even more so with a couple of wins. My biggest concerns, like several of you, regard Phil Buchanon. I didn't like it when they picked the dead beat up from Oakland, and I don't like it now. I understand it....he plays spec teams, but still don't like it. He would be my first waiver wire casualty if I were King!

I won't be too surprised to see one of the backs like Dayne show up. And I like Chas Anderson, but not that much. If something better comes along, cie la vie!

I'll stick with my prediction. There is a distinct possibility that 9-7 will make the wild card. Think about ot. If we win 9, somebody in our division is going to be odd man out, and it will upset the comfort zone that the rest of the AFC has.

It will be interesting........Did I mention that I'M PUMPED!!!

Until next year I think we will have to deal with Buchanon. We need all of the help in the secondary we can get, and as you said he helps with special teams. Still, I hope he can turn it around. I really thought he was going to be a quality #2 CB, and I have yet to see him really show up on gameday.
RiotCommander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2006   #14
afcman
Veteran

I see 8 wins, and it includes Washington and the Giants. I don't see an Eagles win but I would love to get a win there.
afcman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2006   #15
tsip
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 13 tsip was voted MVPtsip was voted MVPtsip was voted MVP

IMO, our QB play is going to be a huge factor in determining our # of wins this season, and game 1 will give us a big 'hint.'

Too, on DD healing that some of you keep bringing up, there is 'nothing' left in his knee to heal.
tsip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2006   #16
powerfuldragon
g'mornin to you

Rep Power: 22258 powerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to powerfuldragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsip
IMO, our QB play is going to be a huge factor in determining our # of wins this season
I, for one, am floored.
Old 09-03-2006   #17
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1312 281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected

I see us going 6-10 and losing a lot of close games.

-Ben Franklin
281 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2006   #18
HeartofHouston
Veteran

I could see us going 8-8 or 9-7.

I mean honestly look at the way that we handled KC, STL and very good fight in Denver and how we handled the Bucs.

KC, STL and Denver all have great offenses and could have easily run us into the ground last year. And remeber we lost alot of those games by a small margin so imagine a better Texans, we can now compete with the best of them.

yea it's just pre-season but we are in a winning state of mind now and it's a great confidence builder knowing that you have the ability to beat those teams.
Old 09-03-2006   #19
dat_boy_yec
All Pro

Rep Power: 11 dat_boy_yec is on the Pro-Bowl ballotdat_boy_yec is on the Pro-Bowl ballot

Oh ye of little faith. I see us going 16-0. GO TEXANS. Until we loose then I see us going 15-1 so on and so forth, but right now we are undefeated. Pre-season doesn't count. GO TEXANS!!!!
dat_boy_yec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2006   #20
TexansLucky13
53d Signal Batt

Rep Power: 4279 TexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by dat_boy_yec
Oh ye of little faith. I see us going 16-0. GO TEXANS. Until we loose then I see us going 15-1 so on and so forth, but right now we are undefeated. Pre-season doesn't count. GO TEXANS!!!!
Awesome!

Kinda like when you go to PE class. You start off with 100 but lose points for every time you go to sleep on the track, hehe.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read