Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 09-18-2004   #21
Jwwillis
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasguy346
6 this year wouldn't be firing time, but 8 next year would at least raise some concern. It all depends on the circumstances of course. If a crucial player suffered an injury, or if the Texans had a particularly tough schedule then he might have even more job security.
Capers and Co. arnt going anywhere in the first 5yrs. regardless.
Jwwillis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2004   #22
rhc564
Veteran

Like the list of Coaches because it mirrors a thought I've posted before-
a team should perform on the field with results that mirror their Coach.
All of the Coach's listed acheived this idea from there players, whether
it was discipline, passion, etc. Capers is thought of as a tough disciplinearan
(sp) who preaches control and desired results. But IMO his players do not
play this way...
rhc564 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2004   #23
TexanExile
Square 1 again

Rep Power: 3475 TexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny
I was hoping for Butch Davis.....and I'm glad we didn't sign him.
The good news is, he would've shown GREAT loyalty to his program, promised he'd stay, assure the media that he wasn't going anywhere...

oh wait. Never mind.

I bet Cleveland wishes now that Davis hadn't been lying to everyone when he said he'd stay at Miami....
TexanExile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2004   #24
Ibar_Harry
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15 Ibar_Harry was voted MVPIbar_Harry was voted MVPIbar_Harry was voted MVP

Sassy, being cool and calm is an asset if you are observant and thinking which reflects why you are calm. Capers doesn't appear to be able to think on his feet and react to the situations at hand. I think he's so maticulous for that reason. Remember, he is a product of Mr C who is at New York. Mr C is an extemely maticulous man who finds it hard to adapt to changes on the fly. He's also a very emotional coach. While as a student in college, I had a professor who was very much that way. He was considered a brilliant writer, but if he was making a presentation and something went South he was totally lost. I got an A, because I was able to bail him out one day while he was at the board. It has nothing to do with intelligence. Some people just don't process under fire. I'm beginning to believe both Palmer and Capers are of that ilk. They are excellent analyzers, but very poor game time coaches. When Fresno State had Jim Sweeny as the head coach, I felt the same way. When the game was on the line he became frazzled. Again, it seemed to me like he couldn't think when the game was on the line.
Ibar_Harry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2004   #25
Ibar_Harry
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15 Ibar_Harry was voted MVPIbar_Harry was voted MVPIbar_Harry was voted MVP

I think there is another important attribute associated with the maticulousness and thats an inability to adapt to your players. Capers and Mr C have a form for people to fit. If they don't fit, then they have a problem seeing their worth. For example, some coaches have used the philosophy that the pass establishes the running game rather than the other way around. You will never get Capers to agree with that philosophy. The great coaches adapt to the times and their players. They do not try to make the team what it is not. They utilize their players in ways that take advantage of their good given skills. I think Capers is to rigid in this regard.
Ibar_Harry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2004   #26
JustBonee
Hall of Fame

Capers is rigid in his style.. agreed. How can that ever be a good thing?
If the team is being asked to 'step it up' a notch this year, will Capers lead in that effort .. It doesn't seem to be in his personality so far. We'll see I guess. Hope he proves me wrong.

Back to emotional coaches .. I don't like lunatics for coaches either.
But two of my favorite coaches of all time.. who 'showed emotion' .. that never let their team during a game:
Woody Hayes - Ohio State, and yes, look where emotion got him - FIRED, but he was great. He loved the game and could not separate himself from it ever. And before he flipped out ... he was SUPER!

Another favorite coach ..
John Madden.. 'Mr. Wild Man on the Sidelines' ... flapping his arms and pacing nonstop. He had a huge following of admirers. And no one could ever confuse his style of coaching with Capers. :hehe:
JustBonee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2004   #27
BornOrange
All Pro

Rep Power: 15 BornOrange was voted MVPBornOrange was voted MVPBornOrange was voted MVPBornOrange was voted MVPBornOrange was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibar_Harry
Sassy, being cool and calm is an asset if you are observant and thinking which reflects why you are calm. Capers doesn't appear to be able to think on his feet and react to the situations at hand. I think he's so maticulous for that reason. Remember, he is a product of Mr C who is at New York. Mr C is an extemely maticulous man who finds it hard to adapt to changes on the fly. He's also a very emotional coach.
Dom Capers is definitely not a product of Tom Coughlin. He only spent two seasons at Jacksonville under Coughlin, and that was after spending 13 years in the NFL.....with 4 of those years being a head coach. Jim Mora was his coach from 86-91 (6 seasons), then Bill Cowher from 92-94 (3 seasons), he was head coach at Carolina from 95-98 (4 seasons). Capers was established as a NFL coach before working for Coughlin in the 99 and 00 seasons.
BornOrange is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read