Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 09-01-2006   #1
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 345471 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Carr's Funky Delivery

OK, we all know that DC has a funky delivery. It comes out really low.

When I was watching the highlights last night, I saw a couple of other QB's that looked like they had that same kinda funky delivery. One was Omar Jacobs; I don't remember who the other one was.

I had never really looked for it before. Is this something that's common? Or becoming more common?
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2006   #2
Snapple
Veteran

VY is a sidearmer.
Snapple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2006   #3
afcman
Veteran

I noticed it in the early days. (SO LONG AGO !!!) Yeah, Young has it too.
afcman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2006   #4
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 413804 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

God lord it must have been discount day on Carr threads.

Philip Rivers has an extremely sidearm delivery.

As you can see from Carr, Rivers and VY it doesn't trouble NFL teams near as much as it does fans on losing teams.
Old 09-01-2006   #5
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 212977 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

You know who has a low delivery ... Cat Osterman

Round Dan
Honoring Earl 34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2006   #6
JDizzle
I'm a dude

Rep Power: 7477 JDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respected

Rick Barry had a funky delivery from the free throw line. What a scrub.
JDizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2006   #7
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck
OK, we all know that DC has a funky delivery. It comes out really low.

When I was watching the highlights last night, I saw a couple of other QB's that looked like they had that same kinda funky delivery. One was Omar Jacobs; I don't remember who the other one was.

I had never really looked for it before. Is this something that's common? Or becoming more common?
Carr holds the ball at his waist when he drops back.

His whole body rocks backward like a MLB pitcher doing his wind up before he throws a pitch.

And he flips his hand as he releases the ball.

As much as I hate to say it, his mechanics are awful compared to other QBs. I pretty much would like to see the Cowboys lose, and lose badly, but I will give credit to Drew Bledsoe: He stands up straight (as a statue, he-he-he) and he releases the ball with a very natural motion that I would like to see David utilize.

Look back at the clips of David in training camp: He's dropping back and holding that ball at the level of his ear hole, snapping throw his throws. Fast-forward to the last few preseason games, and it's gone. I don't understand it. First day of school (camp) and his mechanics look really good, and now it's not so good.

Does Kubiak and the staff not see this? I would think they would be all over every little thing that he's not doing right. And holding the ball at your waist is wasting motion (and time, and opportunities, and risking sacks) instead of having it up higher where you can get rid of quickly, to SNAP through a throw. It takes longer to get the ball UP to throw the ball, and then you sometimes see the awkward sidearm throw that stays in the air forever, and when you have defenders closing in on you to sack you, that smal fraction of time is deadly...and the passing lanes close down around WRs, too.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not hating on him. It's just something that grabbed my attention when I saw a replay of Carr that was in slow motion. Why he is NOT performing better mechanics, or at least what I think would be proper mechanics, is beyond me. And why the staff hasn't corrected it is also beyond me. Show me other star-quality QBs, guys who are good at what they do, and I don;t think you'll see a David Carr throwing motion among them.

He's got the goods: Strong arm, great running ability, and he'll take one on the chin for the team when we need the tough yards. I just would like to see better throwing mechanics. I think it'd make a huge difference.
Old 09-01-2006   #8
SESupergenius

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpshafer_1976
Show me other star-quality QBs, guys who are good at what they do, and I don;t think you'll see a David Carr throwing motion among them.
Brett Farve comes to mind. http://www.photofile.com/Photos/Albu...arve_Brett.jpg
Old 09-01-2006   #9
Snapple
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honoring Earl 34
You know who has a low delivery ... Cat Osterman
We should totally give Osterman a tryout. Might take a while to learn how to throw a football underhand, but I bet she could thread the ball into the receiver's hands like a needle.
Snapple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2006   #10
SESupergenius

Pretty similar angle of attack?

I think that is about enough of this non-sense.
Old 09-01-2006   #11
chuckm
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15 chuckm was voted MVPchuckm was voted MVPchuckm was voted MVPchuckm was voted MVP

Ultimate funky delivery ....... Eddie Feigner .... look it up
Old 09-01-2006   #12
sprtsfanatic
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by SESupergenius
Pretty similar angle of attack?

I think that is about enough of this non-sense.

yeah enough of this nonsense....someone correct this deficiency before carr starts having 5 int's a game like favre...his days were over 2 years ago.
sprtsfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2006   #13
jmerog
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak

As you can see from Carr, Rivers and VY it doesn't trouble NFL teams near as much as it does fans on losing teams.

Funny Rep coming your way
Old 09-01-2006   #14
Roughnecks
Veteran

Rep Power: 90 Roughnecks is a quality contributor and well respectedRoughnecks is a quality contributor and well respectedRoughnecks is a quality contributor and well respectedRoughnecks is a quality contributor and well respectedRoughnecks is a quality contributor and well respectedRoughnecks is a quality contributor and well respectedRoughnecks is a quality contributor and well respectedRoughnecks is a quality contributor and well respectedRoughnecks is a quality contributor and well respectedRoughnecks is a quality contributor and well respectedRoughnecks is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by SESupergenius
I like Brett Farve but he throw what 29 int's last year and he has the worse throwing motion in the nfl. It might work for him but I do not want Carr throwing that way at all.
Roughnecks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2006   #15
TexansBull
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14250 TexansBull is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBull is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBull is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBull is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBull is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBull is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBull is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBull is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBull is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBull is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBull is a quality contributor and well respected

Yea, Carr aint no Farve. But Farve was just tying too hard to get something done for his team when he had nothing around him and he did things he shouldnt have.(oh man, did I make a similarity between the two? Sorry) Look at all the injuries that happened around him. I think that playoff goof against Philly still keeps him up at night. Right now he is in that veteran mode where he just doesnt want to give up and admit his best days may be behind him. But put him on a team like the ravens pre-mcnair and he could get things done.

Interesting topic:Would you take him on the Texans and put Carr on the bench?
TexansBull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2006   #16
TEXANRED
Texan-American

Rep Power: 87851 TEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Oh come on. Carr threads are like Jell-O. There is all ways room.

TEXANRED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2006   #17
cuppacoffee
Resident Grouch

Rep Power: 87056 cuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckm
Ultimate funky delivery ....... Eddie Feigner .... look it up
Only because he pitched from second base.

Impressed..you went back aways for that one.

Old 09-02-2006   #18
tsip
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 13 tsip was voted MVPtsip was voted MVPtsip was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapple
We should totally give Osterman a tryout. Might take a while to learn how to throw a football underhand, but I bet she could thread the ball into the receiver's hands like a needle.
...and look good doing it, all 6'3" of her

Last edited by tsip; 09-02-2006 at 02:20 AM.
tsip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2006   #19
tsip
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 13 tsip was voted MVPtsip was voted MVPtsip was voted MVP

Remember Carr's first training camp when Palmer tried to change that throwing motion by having David throw over a ladder?
tsip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2006   #20
kingh99

Quote:

Phillip Rivers doesn't look so good either. Carr is like a gun slinger with superglue on his holster flap. Not that I'm entirely complaining. They say that's today's game, controlling mistakes. And I couldn't imagine how frustrating it would be to have a gun slinger like Farve totally screwing the game with his lack of discipline. But those Sage touchdowns sure looked good. It's like, I dunno, he's not playing defensive. Dave needs a sports psycho to try and repair him after this bad start with a bad team.

Carr can do it. He's a tough SOB.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read