Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 09-01-2006   #1
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 31690 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected
Default How Do They Cut?

Have you noticed that the team had off days on both days of cuts this year? They are cutting these guys with phone calls. Ouch.
Old 09-01-2006   #2
real

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runner
Have you noticed that the team had off days on both days of cuts this year? They are cutting these guys with phone calls. Ouch.
Are you saying that as a fact ???
Old 09-01-2006   #3
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 31690 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected

Yes, that's a fact.
Old 09-01-2006   #4
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 197817 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

That seems somewhat strange as I know for fact that last year, "the Turk" personally met with each cut player.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2006   #5
Texans Horror
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 26 Texans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of Famer

During my time on the boards, one of the things I've learned is that Runner's one of the few people here more likely to give you a fact than an opinion disguised as a fact.
Texans Horror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2006   #6
Peldon
All Pro

Rep Power: 34 Peldon is a quality contributor and well respectedPeldon is a quality contributor and well respectedPeldon is a quality contributor and well respectedPeldon is a quality contributor and well respectedPeldon is a quality contributor and well respectedPeldon is a quality contributor and well respectedPeldon is a quality contributor and well respectedPeldon is a quality contributor and well respectedPeldon is a quality contributor and well respectedPeldon is a quality contributor and well respectedPeldon is a quality contributor and well respected

Maybe they will pull a Radio Shack

To whom it may concern:

Texans Management
Peldon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2006   #7
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger
That seems somewhat strange as I know for fact that last year, "the Turk" personally met with each cut player.
Yes - it was in person last year. It was also in person when they were waiving individuals earlier this year. It wasn't last Monday, and it isn't today unless some players just show up to work out on their own today. The team has the day off.
Old 09-01-2006   #8
the wonger need food
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1340 the wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respected

I thought I read somewhere that Kubiak was in his office for 2 hours talking to players that were cut. Can't find the article though.
the wonger need food is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2006   #9
Doom Capers
Veteran

Everyone is cut by Kub and Smith, in Kub's office.
Doom Capers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2006   #10
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 197817 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Yes - it was in person last year. It was also in person when they were waiving individuals earlier this year. It wasn't last Monday, and it isn't today unless some players just show up to work out on their own today. The team has the day off.
I would have to say then that I see this as a questionable cold and unfortunate approach to an already potentially very traumatic situation.
Old 09-01-2006   #11
real

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doom Capers
Everyone is cut by Kub and Smith, in Kub's office.
Are you saying that to be fact ?
Old 09-01-2006   #12
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

I was at my mailbox Wednesday night checking my mail. One of the players drove by on his way to the team hotel for the night. He turned around to talk to me for a while. He told me the team had Friday off. I said that surprised me because it was cut day and asked how they did the cuts. He said probably over the phone like they did Monday.

From this conversation (which I didn't record for evidence) I came to the conclusion they were making phone calls to cut players.

That certainly doesn't preclude them from going to the stadium to talk to Kubiak afterwards if they so choose.

We also talked about how many players they would keep at various positions. It's kind of funny - the players are less certain about these types of numbers than many message board posters.
Old 09-01-2006   #13
real

Quote:
We also talked about how many players they would keep at various positions. It's kind of funny - the players are less certain about these types of numbers than many message board posters.
Ironic aint it.....What player was it ? If you can share that info....
Old 09-01-2006   #14
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtruroyaltyx
Ironic aint it.....What player was it ? If you can share that info....
Sorry, I won't say. I don't want things I say to be wrongly assumed they came from one of them.

Last season six players lived in my neighborhood that I knew of, but I only really talked to 4 of them and their families. A couple are gone already though. The neighborhood needs to reload - pick up some players from waivers or something.

----------------

It is ironic - beyond the numbers at each position, they also aren't as sure about who will/won't make the team as some of us.

Last edited by Runner; 09-01-2006 at 09:02 AM.
Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2006   #15
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Quote:
Originally Posted by oso
During my time on the boards, one of the things I've learned is that Runner's one of the few people here more likely to give you a fact than an opinion disguised as a fact.
Thanks man - somebody give this guy some rep!
Old 09-01-2006   #16
chuckm
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14 chuckm was voted MVPchuckm was voted MVPchuckm was voted MVPchuckm was voted MVP

Quote:
From this conversation (which I didn't record for evidence) I came to the conclusion they were making phone calls to cut players.

Look, if you don't care enough to take a tape recorder with you to the mailbox, then stop teasing us ....
Old 09-01-2006   #17
real

Quote:
Sorry, I won't say. I don't want things I say to be wrongly assumed they came from one of them.
Understandable....

Quote:
It is ironic - beyond the numbers at each position, they also aren't as sure about who will/won't make the team as some of us.
I can believe that...Although they probably know who will make the team...they probably just don't know who won't make the team...if that makes any sense....
Old 09-01-2006   #18
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by the wonger need food
I thought I read somewhere that Kubiak was in his office for 2 hours talking to players that were cut. Can't find the article though.

This may be what you are referring to.

Quote:
(on the difficulties of cut day as a coach and player) ďIt was believe me. Itís really tough. I spent two hours up there, just one after another, coming in a just talking to them. You have such respect for guys that try to make it in this league. And in all honesty they donít have a lot of control of the situation. I look back, the Denver Broncos kept me on their roster a long time because they passed the rule to keep three quarterbacks and one didnít count. That is why they kept me. I was very fortunate, and then things worked out. A guy is trying to make it in this league, then all of a sudden you get a nick or something, and you get a chance to play and you (end up) playing for ten years. I encourage them. We had some good kids that we let go today that have busted their tail. I told everyone one of them if we were starting back tomorrow, Iíd welcome every one of them back. I think they all did everything we asked them to do, but you just try to encourage them. I have seen many, many players take three or four chances to make an NFL roster, and then they make one and they play a long time. I hope they donít get too discouraged, but it is a very tough day for them. Walking out of that office is a lonely feeling. You just try to be as encouraging as you can.Ē
INDIRECT LINK FROM HOUSTONTEXANS.COM
Old 09-01-2006   #19
the wonger need food
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1340 the wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respected

Just a guess here, but they probably call them to come up to the stadium and pick up their stuff, drop off their playbook, talk to the coach, etc. I was watching a special on the Jaguars training camp a few years back and that was how they did one of their cuts.
the wonger need food is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2006   #20
Texans Horror
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 26 Texans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of Famer

Shut the door. This is the toughest job a manager has to do. But the organization has decided to make a change...

Sorry if I pulverized that quote.
Texans Horror is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read