Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 08-31-2006   #1
Texanfan4ever
All Pro

Rep Power: 76 Texanfan4ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanfan4ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanfan4ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanfan4ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanfan4ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanfan4ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanfan4ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanfan4ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanfan4ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanfan4ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanfan4ever is a quality contributor and well respected
Default sports radio 610

I don't know why I even tried to listen, but is anyone as disgusted with those guys as I am. About half way home I turned it on, and some loser was saying "oh my gosh, rosenfels is so wonderful and should take David Carr's place". Turn it off due to disgust, can't stand it, drop my mom off turn it on again about 45 minutes later, loser announcers explaining why Carr will still be the QB, even though he is a loser, turn them off and 15 minutes later, try ONE MORE TIME before I get home to try to hear SOMETHING intelligent, and THEY ARE STILL TALKING ABOUT WHAT A MISTAKE David Carr is". WHY does ANYONE listen to these idiots. I Am done. Never again. I said I wouldn't do this, but it is just SO IRRITATING. ALmost as bad a sthe guy sitting right in front of us with a Vince Young t=shirt on. Don't even get me started.
Texanfan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2006   #2
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1312 281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected

why would an observation like that (let's face it, carr hasn't looked that great, and sage has) anger you?

-Ben Franklin
281 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2006   #3
RiotCommander
All Pro

Send a message via ICQ to RiotCommander Send a message via AIM to RiotCommander

I have the same problem when I try to listen. All they do is bag on the local teams. Maybe its just when I listen, I'm not a huge fan of the station so its not often.
RiotCommander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2006   #4
Texanfan4ever
All Pro

Rep Power: 76 Texanfan4ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanfan4ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanfan4ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanfan4ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanfan4ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanfan4ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanfan4ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanfan4ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanfan4ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanfan4ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanfan4ever is a quality contributor and well respected

Because logically it is absurd. David didn't even play, Sage played a few series, like he always does, against 2nd stringers, third even, and there is just no room for discussion. It is absolutely ludicrous. WHy do you think he is still 2nd string 5 years later. Duh......... Try to be logical.,
Texanfan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2006   #5
Grid
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2272 Grid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respected

Sage is not a starter quality QB.

I can understand people questioning Carr after that weak performance of his in the Denver game.. but Sage is a quality BACKUP QB..not a starter.

If anything we should be discussing where exactly Carr needs to improve.. and what we are going to do if he DOESNT improve. Ill give you a hint.. your answer should not be "start Sage".

Id start keeping an eye on QBs coming out in next year's draft. Paying close attention to guys that look athletic enough to perform a good roll out
Grid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2006   #6
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 314423 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

There's nothing wrong with acknowledging that our backup QB has looked good. Sage clearly made reads and checked his receivers, and made some great throws tonight. He's got poise and a certain sense of calm about his play. I know it's against 2nd and 3rd stringers, but you can still evaluate a player in these situations (why do you think we have pre-season to begin with?).

I'm behind DC all the way. He's our starting QB. But we need a guy that can challenge Carr, simply because competition makes a player stronger. And having a guy that wants to start and is qualified to do so is a huge asset (Kubiak himself said that Rosenfels could be a starter on other teams).

It'll be alright, though. David Carr will come out and do great!
And he'll put all this 'QB controversy' stuff to rest. mmm, koolaid!
Old 09-01-2006   #7
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 330323 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

OK--lay aside any dispute about Carr. Here is my observation about the late night dweebs on 610 am. One of them observes Sage is the 4th highest rated passer for the preseason after this game. He then goes on to list the three above--all 2nd or 3rd stringers including the Gradkowski kid for the Bucs. Obvious conclusion--backup QB's are preseason heroes--no. Radio conclusion--QB controversy. C'mon folks if the top 4 QB's for preseason are backups it should tell you something--Manning and Brady played as well. Like I said this is a Carr aside. Backups have to be judged differently. Last week Leftwich did nothing against the 1st string Tampa D. Garrard then came in and carved up the 2nd+ D to win the game. Context does count.

On Carr I have grave concerns about his confidence and throwing down field. He looked better against Dallas in his 1st game ever than he does now in that regard. This is clearly a rehabilitation project not just a training project (there is a huge, huge difference)--the results will be in mid-season IMO.
Old 09-01-2006   #8
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 249374 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm not in the "Start Sage!" camp or anything but I have been concerned with how David Carr has looked this preseason. He seems to be the lone holdover from the "Joe Pendry - Run For Your Life - Offense" with all the happy feet and short dump offs to his safety valves (or what would have been his safety valves if we were still running the old offense).

Having said that I note that everyone defending Carr against the Sage fans points out that David Carr has to play against the first team defenses. What nobody seems to admit to is that he also has the first team running backs, receivers, and offensive line helping him. Sage gets to do what he does with a second string offense.

The only way to really compare apples to apples would be to swap them around and start Sage in a preseason game (and we're done with them this year so nevermind that) and let Carr play against the second teamers (and with the second team offense).

Would Sage still be effective? Would Carr tear up the second string defense?

I suspect that Sage would be less effective than he's looked so far but only slightly so. I also suspect that most of what worries me about David Carr would still be there. That's because it has nothing to do with his level of competition, it's in his head and the moment one of those second string offensive linemen lets him get smacked or even a little pressured he's going to start hearing footsteps.
Old 09-01-2006   #9
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 314423 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Well said icak & Herv. Very well said indeed.
Old 09-01-2006   #10
The.Houston.Titans
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hervoyel
I'm not in the "Start Sage!" camp or anything but I have been concerned with how David Carr has looked this preseason. He seems to be the lone holdover from the "Joe Pendry - Run For Your Life - Offense" with all the happy feet and short dump offs to his safety valves (or what would have been his safety valves if we were still running the old offense).

Having said that I note that everyone defending Carr against the Sage fans points out that David Carr has to play against the first team defenses. What nobody seems to admit to is that he also has the first team running backs, receivers, and offensive line helping him. Sage gets to do what he does with a second string offense.

The only way to really compare apples to apples would be to swap them around and start Sage in a preseason game (and we're done with them this year so nevermind that) and let Carr play against the second teamers (and with the second team offense).

Would Sage still be effective? Would Carr tear up the second string defense?

I suspect that Sage would be less effective than he's looked so far but only slightly so. I also suspect that most of what worries me about David Carr would still be there. That's because it has nothing to do with his level of competition, it's in his head and the moment one of those second string offensive linemen lets him get smacked or even a little pressured he's going to start hearing footsteps.
Everything you just said mirrors my thoughts throughout the entire preseason. And I mean mirror them EXACTY-word for word.
The.Houston.Titans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2006   #11
tsip
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 13 tsip was voted MVPtsip was voted MVPtsip was voted MVP

If Carr starts off the Philly game like he has played in the pre-season-and that 'play' continues-it could get real 'ugly' around here real quick. This could be a Capers' moment all over again, with Carr supporters dropping off the board like Caper supporters did last year. Folks talked about time/gel last year just like they are doing this year, but I believe Carr supporters will be in 'shock' mode if his mediocre play continues.

On the other hand, if Carr suddenly starts playing like an All-Pro, this board will be one big happy 'family'--bottom line, it's 'feast or famine' time.
tsip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2006   #12
tsip
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 13 tsip was voted MVPtsip was voted MVPtsip was voted MVP
Default Please explain

"Sage is not a starter quality QB."

OK, so what does that make Carr? David is certainly not where we want him to be in his career, for whatever reasons/excuses. Neither one of these QB's has 'flourished' in the NFL so far, but I don't know how you can assume one will and the other one won't. I don't know much about Sage-since you do-please tell me what your basis is for the above statement...thanks......
tsip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2006   #13
rafterticket
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsip
On the other hand, if Carr suddenly starts playing like an All-Pro, this board will be one big happy 'family'
I won't lie. I'm praying for feast, as far as Carr is concerned.

I am taking this on a basic trend analysis. Everything about this team is on the upswing - consecutive weeks of scoring records, repeated long rushes, second receivers, etc. Last year some of us (me included) were just repeating some kind of mantra that once the season began we would see some real football. By the second regular season game it was so obvious that any chant, self-help tape, Dale Carnegie program or believing in fairies was not going to make a football team in Houston.

This year, I believe in our run blocking, and that a corps of running backs will get us past the DD setback. What I still note (and this is all QB's) is that we are STILL not willing to throw the ball more than 15 yards past the line of scrimmage. This to me is a serious problem. The offense seems to love the fact of a TE, which I am still enjoying every time one catches a ball. (Nice TD, Bennie.)

Maybe if our defense comes around, and I have much more faith in them right now, this year we may be able to shut down some opponents and pull a few out. Our schedule is comparably hard to last year's, and with a shade more skill, or will, we could have won six games last year. I am just believing we have more than a shade more talent than last year - and that talent goes from the sideline to the huddle.

Ryans and Williams look like they may be brilliant choices. Spencer and Winston will be long term. Owen Daniels is our Jason Witten.

This year erases last year.
Old 09-01-2006   #14
Tailgate
Fall of Hame

Rep Power: 27364 Tailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respected

Lets just be stoked we have a solid back up. No QB contraversy.....

Bring on the Eagles!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Tailgate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2006   #15
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 55882 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

first off Sports Radio 610 Rocks (most of the time, take it with a grain of salt).

second if Kubiak is able to transform Carr into a NFL quality QB/#1 pick I doubt anyone here will complain (don't you feel really good about the Mario Williams pick?) as a matter of fact this would make the Texans owner very happy, Kubiak would look like a genius and this franchise will have finally grown up from its four year expansion status

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2006   #16
StukNDallas
Rookie

I moved to Dallas a little over a year ago, and Sports Radio 610 is one of the things I miss the most. They may not always be right (Ok, maybe it should be they may not always be wrong), but it is entertaining and in my experience it is a good conversation starter. If you think listening to them bash Carr is bad, try listening to T.O. talk and Romo vs. Bledsoe for a while and you will appreciate what you have.

Old 09-01-2006   #17
Malloy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 10704 Malloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texanfan4ever
drop my mom off
You brought your mom to the game, that major props right there!!
Old 09-01-2006   #18
aj.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 658 aj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respected

The radio guys are talking about what a lot of the people in the stands are talking about. Our starting QB makes Tweek look laid back.

And no, Sage isn't the long term answer either. I just want someone (anyone) who can effectively run this offense. The next month is truly the crossroads for Carr and I hope he takes the right turn. He doesn't have to be spectacular, just calm and poised for a change and maybe sprinkle in a little bit of effective and in-control. I know that's asking a lot but QB performance - given adequate OL performance which seems to be almost there - is the single most important key to the success of the team this season.

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak
On Carr I have grave concerns about his confidence and throwing down field. He looked better against Dallas in his 1st game ever than he does now in that regard. This is clearly a rehabilitation project not just a training project
Where's that deja vu music ?

Last edited by aj.; 09-01-2006 at 07:30 AM.
aj. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2006   #19
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 41444 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected

The problem with the David Carr shell shocked theory is that it is not due to a four year campaign. We saw the same from our QB during season one. Once he got to the big leagues and felt the speed of the game and took some hits he has never been the QB that many expected.

Four years is a long time in professional sports to have a method of operation like this and still have your job. Carr is a lucky man and lets hope he can transfer that luck to the field of play this year and regain whatever confidence he has left.
Old 09-01-2006   #20
Mr. B
Rookie

I listened to the game off and on at work last night. Had to pull some late hours.

They didn't rage over Rosenfels or Carr !!! In fact both Mark and Andre stated that Sage looked good in the preseason but that he was mainly playing against second and third string. They also noted that regardless of what any of us arm chair yahoo's think Carr still has some problems to work out and they both thought he should have at least played the first quarter to try to keep working on his issues and to keep himself in the flow of the offense. Basically they said Carr needed more time to work within this offense and that it was very nice to have a backup like Sage behind him if he is needed.

Sage played the game last night and it was his game and they called it like he was the starting quarterback. Which he was last night. Sheesh let the guy get his props when he can.

You guys read way to much into what you hear from the radio personalities.

I like Carr and think he has lots of talent but I don't think he has all his issues worked out yet from his 4 years under the other coaching regime. Did they ruin him ???? Don't know but I can tell you this he has looked good and bad so he is 50/50 right now and I can't tell you that I think he is the end all as our QB from what I am seeing right now. I would like to see him have some more time under Kubiak. That is just an honest opinion from someone who has no favoritism.
Mr. B is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read