Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 08-31-2006   #1
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 55500 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Dom Davis' career is over

If you heard the interview with Bob Allen, it sounds like this is it. He said he had "a bit of arthritis"... He also said that he was missing meniscus that can't be repaired and that part of his knee is "almost bone on bone". He said he won't be cut on again and that he's ready to deal with going on IR.
dalemurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2006   #2
powerfuldragon
g'mornin to you

Rep Power: 22258 powerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to powerfuldragon

Cut him. For his own sake.
Old 08-31-2006   #3
Texizgreat
Veteran

Send a message via AIM to Texizgreat Send a message via Yahoo to Texizgreat

thats to bad.... hopefully he can heal.
Texizgreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2006   #4
GuerillaBlack
Money!

Rep Power: 21402 GuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respected

Sad, Davis was a good back. Who injured him?
GuerillaBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2006   #5
texan279
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3367 texan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respected

Yeah he talked about "healing up", but you cannot regrow cartilage or muscle. Add that to the statement where he said he would not have any more surgeries, I don't know what he is expecting to happen.
Old 08-31-2006   #6
Jwwillis
All Pro

Was wondering when this thread would start. I think the coaches all, of course, know this about DD. Wonder why "Mr. Open with the media Kubiak" and company have failed to be as forthcoming about his condition.
Jwwillis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2006   #7
tsip
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 13 tsip was voted MVPtsip was voted MVPtsip was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texizgreat
thats to bad.... hopefully he can heal.
...nothing to heal-arthritis ain't going anywhere and what he's missing can not be grown back
tsip is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 08-31-2006   #8
South Texan
Veteran

Rep Power: 10 South Texan is on the Pro-Bowl ballotSouth Texan is on the Pro-Bowl ballot

In the interview he had on Field Pass Davis said they will make the decision on Saturday, but he didn't sound to optimistic.

He was one of our few consistant bright spots in previous years, I really hate to see him go.
South Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2006   #9
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 76169 Marcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by texan279
Yeah he talked about "healing up", but you cannot regrow cartilage or muscle. Add that to the statement where he said he would not have any more surgeries, I don't know what he is expecting to happen.
He needs to write on the blackboard 100 times . . . Denial is not a river in Egypt

Another thing to keep in mind, he gets an $800,000 roster bonus. He gets an extra 800 grand if he doesn't get cut. Nice.
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2006   #10
texan279
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3367 texan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respected

I really don't understand what the point is in putting him on IR unless he will play through the pain.
Old 08-31-2006   #11
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 76169 Marcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jwwillis
Was wondering when this thread would start. I think the coaches all, of course, know this about DD. Wonder why "Mr. Open with the media Kubiak" and company have failed to be as forthcoming about his condition.
I wouldn't take a shot at Kubiak about this. He's trying to be sensitive about a sensitive issue, and make every effort to do right with his players.
Old 08-31-2006   #12
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 154151 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

To me he looked like he was saying that he is done. He said he wouldn't come back unless he was 100%. So, since his knee will never be 100% again and Casserly gave him that big contract with millions of guaranteed $$$$...I think he is done.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2006   #13
Hutch13
List of demands

Rep Power: 13 Hutch13 was voted MVPHutch13 was voted MVPHutch13 was voted MVPHutch13 was voted MVP
Send a message via AIM to Hutch13

I think hes done. Too bad though he was a good running back and was one of my favorite texans.
Hutch13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2006   #14
TexanSam
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 29758 TexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerfulDragon
Cut him. For his own sake.
I don't think you can cut an injured player. It's against NFL rules I believe. I do believe you can reach an injury settlement though. At leasts that's what I think I heard on the radio.
TexanSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2006   #15
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 183543 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Unfortunately, DD was allowed to "run his knees to the ground" for a long time before surgery was ever entertained.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2006   #16
Smash_Mouth_Mario
Veteran

Rep Power: 12 Smash_Mouth_Mario was voted MVPSmash_Mouth_Mario was voted MVPSmash_Mouth_Mario was voted MVPSmash_Mouth_Mario was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalemurphy
If you heard the interview with Bob Allen, it sounds like this is it. He said he had "a bit of arthritis"... He also said that he was missing meniscus that can't be repaired and that part of his knee is "almost bone on bone". He said he won't be cut on again and that he's ready to deal with going on IR.

DD was a excellent RB!

Here's to DD:

Houston Texans Big Mistake - Ha ha! NOT!
Smash_Mouth_Mario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2006   #17
TexanFan881
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1791 TexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TexanFan881

Don't give up on him yet (wait, after everything that's happened, I think I will) It's really too bad that things might come to an end like this for such a solid player.
Old 08-31-2006   #18
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by texan279
I really don't understand what the point is in putting him on IR unless he will play through the pain.
It doesn't make any sense to me either. The doctors have supposedly told him that the knee will never be the same, and that he will have to deal with the pain. But then DD says he won't play again until the knee feels better.

My take on this . . is that they will IR him for the season just to make the issue go away, even if they have to eat the salary for this year, and then quietly give him an injury settlement in the offseason.

But he'll never play a down of football in the NFL again.
Old 08-31-2006   #19
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 183543 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexanSam
I don't think you can cut an injured player. It's against NFL rules I believe. I do believe you can reach an injury settlement though. At leasts that's what I think I heard on the radio.
You're correct, CBA doesn't allow cut of an injured player without an injury settlement. Putting him on IR frees up a roster spot without cutting the player, while allowing him to "heal." In his case, healing to play again is very unlikely. With guaranteed monies, there does not seem to be advantage for placing him on IR, but it may allow time for an amicable financial parting agreement.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2006   #20
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 154151 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger
You're correct, CBA doesn't allow cut of an injured player without an injury settlement. Putting him on IR frees up a roster spot without cutting the player, while allowing him to "heal." In his case, healing to play again is very unlikely. With guaranteed monies, there does not seem to be advantage for placing him on IR, but it may allow time for an amicable financial parting agreement.
Kubiak and upper management was meeting with Dom and his agent right? On the surface it sounds like it may be an injury settlement type situation except for the fact that Kubiak ruled that out.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read