Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 08-29-2006   #1
Texian
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 57885 Texian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respected
Default No Way DD gets cut, IR most likely

Read today's "Open Locker Room Quotes....

Kubiak (on cutting Domanick Davis) ďThe idea of cutting Domanick has not even played a factor. I donít know where that came from. The decision is strictly if his knee is going to be healthy enough to play. If his knee is not healthy enough to play, if that is the decision thatís made about him, then heís looking at an I.R. (injury reserve) season. If he is going to be able to make it back, then he is going to be on this football team. The other choice (cutting Davis) has never been a factor. Domanick Davis is a big part of this football team as Iíve said all along weíre going to do whatís right for him.Ē

If DD goes on IR he his done for 2006 season.
Texian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2006   #2
blockhead83
All Pro

Send a message via AIM to blockhead83

If a player is placed on IR does it effect his contract in any way? Does he still make the same salary for the year, and does his contract status still progress a year?
blockhead83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2006   #3
PapaL
Loose Screw

Rep Power: 133685 PapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by blockhead83
If a player is placed on IR does it effect his contract in any way? Does he still make the same salary for the year, and does his contract status still progress a year?
He gets paid according to his contract. So if he was due to make $6M plus playing incentives, then he make $6M and no incentives. Onto the next year of his contract.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Bills View Post
I can confidently say im smarter, better looking, and more successful than you will ever be.
PapaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2006   #4
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 36043 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm glad Kubiak cleared that up for the health of the board.
Old 08-29-2006   #5
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 74671 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected

Here's my AOL blog post about it (I can post there immediately without having to get someone to publish it for me):

"Domanick Davis: To IR or Not IR, That is the Question"

If you look at Kubiak's prior quote, you can see how everyone freaked.

I guess IR.
Old 08-29-2006   #6
texan279
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 4561 texan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respected

I cannot figure out why we would put him on IR after the doctors have said, according to various articles, that his knee is fine and he will have to get used to the pain. He has had almost a year off, is another year really going to help? And before I get bashed, I am not a DD hater, Bush lover, etc. I just cannot figure this thing out, the story of DD's knee seems to change almost everyday.
Old 08-29-2006   #7
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans_Chick
If you look at Kubiak's prior quote, you can see how everyone freaked.
And/or if you heard him on SR 610 earlier this week as I did. IMO, he was ready to ax/cut DD, but had a change of heart. Or maybe somebody helped change his mind for him after a sampling of fan opinion ?
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 08-29-2006   #8
texan279
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 4561 texan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunusguy
And/or if you heard him on SR 610 earlier this week as I did. IMO, he was ready to ax/cut DD, but had a change of heart. Or maybe somebody helped change his mind for him after a sampling of fan opinion ?
Nah if that was the case Sage would be starting at QB. Maybe McNair changed his mind?
Old 08-29-2006   #9
phan1
All Pro

Inaccurate info from out own newspaper! FOR SHAME!!!

Anyway, from what I read, DD is just going to have to suck it up and play because it's just not going to get much better even if he does sit out for a whole year. It's going to end up sore once he starts playing anyway. It's really unfortunate that we hear other player come back from bigger injuried (Edge and Mghee) and they turn up great. Can't someone perform some kind of surgery for DD?
phan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2006   #10
texan279
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by phan1
Inaccurate info from out own newspaper! FOR SHAME!!!

Anyway, from what I read, DD is just going to have to suck it up and play because it's just not going to get much better even if he does sit out for a whole year. It's going to end up sore once he starts playing anyway. It's really unfortunate that we hear other player come back from bigger injuried (Edge and Mghee) and they turn up great. Can't someone perform some kind of surgery for DD?
Agreed. And from what I read the original surgery included a partial removal of his meniscus. If I remember correctly, when I had my knee operated on, I had meniscus damage also, and the meniscus is a layer of tissue that fits under the knee cap that provides a sort of cushion for the underside of the knee cap. I could be wrong on this, maybe cloak can chime in on it.
Old 08-29-2006   #11
aj.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 658 aj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respected

Adam Schefter, aka Suzy Kolber's brother, reported on Total Access that he spoke to the Texans today and he doesn't expect DD to be released.

Anyone who heard Kubiak yesterday evening could have (and did) easily interpret the words and the tone to mean cut so I don't think any of us were over-reacting to what we heard, just relaying it.
aj. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2006   #12
Brandon420tx
Flounder

Rep Power: 14154 Brandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Brandon420tx

Quote:
Originally Posted by texan279[B
]I cannot figure out why we would put him on IR after the doctors have said, according to various articles, that his knee is fine and he will have to get used to the pain.[/b] He has had almost a year off, is another year really going to help? And before I get bashed, I am not a DD hater, Bush lover, etc. I just cannot figure this thing out, the story of DD's knee seems to change almost everyday.

You know, I keep seeing people post that they've seen "various articles" that have the play through the pain thing. I am not denying that was ever in an article .... but I only saw 1 article. Does that count as various?

(p.s. this actually surprised me that I only saw it on 1 article, given how often the media takes previous reports, slightly edits them, and puts them out as their own, maybe it wasn't on an associated press and thats why I haven't seen it multiple times on multiple articles. Meh)
Old 08-29-2006   #13
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 260728 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texian
Read today's "Open Locker Room Quotes....

Kubiak (on cutting Domanick Davis) ďThe idea of cutting Domanick has not even played a factor. I donít know where that came from. The decision is strictly if his knee is going to be healthy enough to play. If his knee is not healthy enough to play, if that is the decision thatís made about him, then heís looking at an I.R. (injury reserve) season. If he is going to be able to make it back, then he is going to be on this football team. The other choice (cutting Davis) has never been a factor. Domanick Davis is a big part of this football team as Iíve said all along weíre going to do whatís right for him.Ē

If DD goes on IR he his done for 2006 season.
Yeeeeeeeeeeeeehhhhhaaaaaaaaaa.......... yipee... yipee... yipee. I love Kubiak.

First, I need to know where I can look at these talking notes, and press releases.... I seem to not be smart enough to navigate HoustonTexans.com..... someone please drop me some links.

Second..... I said a hundred Hail Mary's, and promised to not criticize Carr for the rest of this season, if We can get DD back healthy.....

I've been trying to lay off.... & I know I'm not doing to well. If you guys could remind me every now and again, I'd appreciate it.

They were talking about cutting DD on NFL network......... the possibility.... AdamScheffer said it wasn't possible...... but anyway, they were showing some highlights. & I have to say, I disagree with everyone who doesn't believe DD is special.

anyway..... I'm happy. I love this team, and I love GaryK.
Old 08-29-2006   #14
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 260728 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon420tx
You know, I keep seeing people post that they've seen "various articles" that have the play through the pain thing. I am not denying that was ever in an article .... but I only saw 1 article. Does that count as various?

(p.s. this actually surprised me that I only saw it on 1 article, given how often the media takes previous reports, slightly edits them, and puts them out as their own, maybe it wasn't on an associated press and thats why I haven't seen it multiple times on multiple articles. Meh)

The Texans passed on Reggie Bush. If you see one article about DD not making the team, or DD health issues, every major paper, Net Zine, & what not will have a version out of some kind, you can bet on that.

But DD's knee issues, I thought aren't necessarily related to the operation. He returned to camp, passed the physical, and was cleared to play. Then something happened, nobody knows what (to the best of my knowledge) and it appeared bruised. They did MRIs, and consulted with doctors, and could find nothing wrong with his knee.

Right now, the knee just doesn't feel right...... there is some pain....... & the doctors have said for all they know, the pain may be normal.

No ones ever explained the bruise.

I'm hoping the Texans are resting DD....... & though it's a ****ty thing to do, I hope DD is waiting till next week to start practicing with the team...... ala steveSmith, & Hines Ward.
Old 08-29-2006   #15
texan279
Hall of Fame

Quote:

http://fantasyfootball.usatoday.com/...614&line=71201

Quote:
"Shoot, if he's full speed in Week 4 or 5, he's going to help us, but we hope to get him back a lot sooner than that," Kubiak said. Added GM Rick Smith, "There's a chance his knee may never feel like it did before the injury."
http://blogs.chron.com/nfl/

Quote:
Davis has recently been experiencing pain on the outside of his knee, an injury Texans head coach Gary Kubiak calls a "bone bruise." Doctors have told Davis he'll always have to deal with the discomfort and learn to play through it. He may be withheld from contact until the start of the season.

Because Davis doesn't have much cartliage remaining in his knee, it's always going to be sore. He's going to have to play with pain. The doctors and trainers have told him his knee is never going to feel like it did before his second knee injury. The first one came when he was at LSU. Davis doesn't want to return until his knee feels like it felt before the injury. Therein lies the problem. They say his knee will never feel the same, and he has to learn to play with that pain. He says he wants his knee to feel as it did before.
www.kffl.com

Texans | D. Davis wants to play Ė but it does not look good
Tue, 29 Aug 2006 19:58:45 -0700

The Associated Press reports Houston Texans RB Domanick Davis (knee) doesn't know when his injured left knee will be healthy enough for him to return to the field. He has been out for a month with a bone bruise that is causing soreness in his knee. He said it has been frustrating and surprising that the injury has kept him out this long. "It's getting to the point where it's just draining me," he said. "I'm tired of watching. I've been here and I've worked hard with everybody else and I can't be out there and help. It's just killing me watching." Texans head coach Gary Kubiak plans to meet with Davis, his agent and his doctors this week to discuss his injury. He wants to find out if Davis can play this season or if he needs to be placed on Injured Reserve. Davis will not be available for Houston's opener against Philadelphia and rookie RB Wali Lundy will start in his place.

LINK

Quote:
He had arthroscopic surgery before the season, practiced the first day of camp, but had immediate swelling in his knee. He obtained an outside MRI that gave him the good news that there was nothing he had that required another surgery, but that he had a "knee bone bruise" and that his knee may never end up feeling the same as it did prior to the surgery. ... It's handy for a running back to have his knees.
Old 08-29-2006   #16
Brandon420tx
Flounder

Rep Power: 14154 Brandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Brandon420tx

Only one of those says "playing through the pain."

The others say he just won't be the same, could be taken to mean he won't be as fast, or more commonly on returning after leg injuries, fear of getting re-injured, ala Barry Sanders.

Now,
Me = Stubborn , but I was right about only seeing it in 1 article.
Old 08-29-2006   #17
texan279
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Only one of those says "playing through the pain."

The others say he just won't be the same, could be taken to mean he won't be as fast, or more commonly on returning after leg injuries, fear of getting re-injured, ala Barry Sanders.

Now,
Me = Stubborn , but I was right about only seeing it in 1 article.
Says his knee will never be the same, not "he won't be the same." If he goes on IR, that will be a total of almost 2 years he will be out because of his knee. Even if he does come back, he won't be the same, if he cannot even practice how will he play?
Old 08-29-2006   #18
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 354011 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss
Second..... I said a hundred Hail Mary's, and promised to not criticize Carr for the rest of this season, if We can get DD back healthy.....
I'm calling BS.
Old 08-29-2006   #19
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak
I'm calling BS.

what?? that I said them, or that he'll be back healthy??

or that I won't criticize Carr for a full season??

Understand, through my criticism...... I've never said we should replace him.

so what's the hubbub.......... bub??
Old 08-29-2006   #20
FILO_girl
I'm not here

Rep Power: 63 FILO_girl is a quality contributor and well respectedFILO_girl is a quality contributor and well respectedFILO_girl is a quality contributor and well respectedFILO_girl is a quality contributor and well respectedFILO_girl is a quality contributor and well respectedFILO_girl is a quality contributor and well respectedFILO_girl is a quality contributor and well respectedFILO_girl is a quality contributor and well respectedFILO_girl is a quality contributor and well respectedFILO_girl is a quality contributor and well respectedFILO_girl is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss
Yeeeeeeeeeeeeehhhhhaaaaaaaaaa.......... yipee... yipee... yipee. I love Kubiak.

First, I need to know where I can look at these talking notes, and press releases.... I seem to not be smart enough to navigate HoustonTexans.com..... someone please drop me some links.

I've been trying to lay off.... & I know I'm not doing to well. If you guys could remind me every now and again, I'd appreciate it.

They were talking about cutting DD on NFL network......... the possibility.... AdamScheffer said it wasn't possible...... but anyway, they were showing some highlights. & I have to say, I disagree with everyone who doesn't believe DD is special.

anyway..... I'm happy. I love this team, and I love GaryK.
I share in your optimism, but can't muster up the passion you exhibit.
Always enjoy your posts, Thunderkyss.

I like DD and think we still need him. IR, please.
FILO_girl is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read