Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 08-29-2006   #1
PhillyFan
Veteran

Default Texans Fandom Inquiry

As you can tell by my name...I am a Philly fan. I live in South Jersey, and root for the home team.

My question for you all...is where did all of the Texan fans come from?

I noticed that in general, you all seem to share the same loathing for the Cowboys that NFC east teams have. So I am assuming that you arent transferred Cowboy fans.

Are you football fans that just didnt have a team to root for? Are you transplanted to your new home team from another team that you used to root for? Are you majorily old Texans Fans from the first go around?

Ive always been curious as to where expansion teams fans came from. Considering that the Texans best season was 7-9, its obvious that you arent bandwagon jumpers, and I can definitely appreciate that. The Eagles have had more than their share of bandwagon fans...which I despise...

Just curiousity killing this cat
PhillyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2006   #2
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Most of us are Houstonians....so most of us are old NFL fans (I started following the Oilers around 1970-71)...we didn't just fall off of some truck as Houston has been an NFL city for most of my adult life.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2006   #3
JDizzle
I'm a dude

Rep Power: 6809 JDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respected

Houston already had an NFL fan base due to the Oilers and many of us became fans of the Texans after going without NFL football for a long time. We were happy to have football back.
JDizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2006   #4
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14626 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackDizzle
Houston already had an NFL fan base due to the Oilers and many of us became fans of the Texans after going without NFL football for a long time. We were happy to have football back.
The above is my answer too.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2006   #5
PhillyFan
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackDizzle

Who were you guys rooting for in that lapse of time between the Oilers and Texans? Or did you stick with them when they moved, and then transfer to the Texans when they arrived?

or were you just general NFL fans?

I know if my team left town, I would be heartbroken. But I couldnt stay away from football.
Old 08-29-2006   #6
gwallaia

Rep Power: 73392 gwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyFan
Who were you guys rooting for in that lapse of time between the Oilers and Texans? Or did you stick with them when they moved, and then transfer to the Texans when they arrived?

I know if my team left town, I would be heartbroken. But I couldnt stay away from football.
I tried to cheer for the Saints and Jets but could not really get into it. So instead I cheered for the misery and defeat of the Titans for every game.
.......... and I still do.

We are among the "Them"
gwallaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2006   #7
PhillyFan
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwallaia
I tried to cheer for the Saints and Jets but could not really get into it. So instead I cheered for the misery and defeat of the Titans for every game.
.......... and I still do.
hah...something tells me that is exactly how I would feel about it. :P
Sponsored links
Old 08-29-2006   #8
PapaL
Loose Screw

Rep Power: 128424 PapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Started following players more than teams. Plus pulling for the downfall of the Titans.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Bills View Post
I can confidently say im smarter, better looking, and more successful than you will ever be.
PapaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2006   #9
Doom Capers
Veteran

I am a texan fan in ohio. I hate the bengals and browns and liked warren moon when i was young.
Doom Capers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2006   #10
Tailgate
Fall of Hame

Rep Power: 27364 Tailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respected

I have lived in H-town all of my life. Raised an Oilers, Stros, and Rockets fan naturally. When the Oilers left, I was definitely heartbroken and couldn't watch too much NFL that first year as it was painful. Pretty much went to fully focus on college football... definitely helped. Only got back into the NFL when I started fantasy football up, then we got the Texans.... and I was saved!!

Still waiting on that ROI for my PSL's I own. Although its on the horizon with Kubaik at the helm.
Tailgate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2006   #11
JDizzle
I'm a dude

Rep Power: 6809 JDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Who were you guys rooting for in that lapse of time between the Oilers and Texans?
I prefer not to rehash these memories and they unofficially do not officially exist.
JDizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2006   #12
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 119106 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

I was born and raised here in Houston. I've had the privledge to watch the Oilers and thier many heart breaking seasons since the early 70's. In short, it was similar to a swift kick in the b---- when the jackass took them away. It was rough for those few years without a home football team to root for. I might take some heat for this, but I followed the Titans a few years due to them still having a majority of the players they had here in Houston. I rooted for them (the coach and team) in the Super Bowl. Then came our town hero, "Mr Mcnair"!! The rest is history. Or should I say future?:bananasplit:
Old 08-29-2006   #13
Old School Texan
Rookie

I lived in Houston and was raised an Oilers fan. I moved to Nashville when low and behold they followed me here. My heart is still in Houston though. So I was faced with a dilemma. Do I root for the city I love, or for Bud Adams' team. Anyone in Houston knows the logical answer to that question. I get a lot of flack here, but it'll be worth it when the Texans turn this aroung under our homegrown Texan, Coach Kubiak!
Old School Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2006   #14
Tailgate
Fall of Hame

Rep Power: 27364 Tailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old School Texan
I lived in Houston and was raised an Oilers fan. I moved to Nashville when low and behold they followed me here. My heart is still in Houston though. So I was faced with a dilemma. Do I root for the city I love, or for Bud Adams' team. Anyone in Houston knows the logical answer to that question. I get a lot of flack here, but it'll be worth it when the Texans turn this aroung under our homegrown Texan, Coach Kubiak!
Brownie points for you for sticking with your city!
Tailgate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2006   #15
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 57395 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

I spent most of my life in three cities: Houston, Dallas, Austin. I grew up a Dallas Cowboy fan and also rooted for the Oilers. The Jerry Jones' era, particularly the hiring of Barry Switzer, sent me packing. The Oilers left Houston shortly afterwards and I was a man without a team for 8 years until the Texans came to Houston.
dalemurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2006   #16
rmartin65
I'm Score

Rep Power: 64727 rmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respected

I was a little kid, just getting into football. The Texans first game was the first one I watched all the way through, so they became my favorite team.
rmartin65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2006   #17
Texas
Hall of Fame

Send a message via AIM to Texas

[quote=PhillyFan]Who were you guys rooting for in that lapse of time between the Oilers and Texans? Or did you stick with them when they moved, and then transfer to the Texans when they arrived?
QUOTE]

I was rooting for the rockets, astro's, comets, Aeros...I am a houston sports fan but primarily football so it was great to have a team again and its even greater to watch it grow.
Old 08-29-2006   #18
Divebomb
Veteran

Born and raised in Houston, die hard Texas fan. I have a team in the NFC I have a team in the AFC, I have a team in the NL and the AL. I am full of poop LOL. I only root for the Texans and the Astros. Dallas I will watch from a distance but I do pull for those guys to win and they are probably my favorite NFC team. When the Oilers left I was so happy because Bud "POS" Adams left with him. I was crushed at first and watching them go to the SB was hard to handle, then they undercut Eddie George so I was back to the good old :I hope you loose every game" mode. They picked up Vince so now I am in a neutral mode. Bob is a great owner and Kubiak is a home town guy so life is great. When the Oilers left I think I did what everyone else did, I turned to College Football.
Divebomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2006   #19
quicksilver
Overweight

I grew up near St. Louis and was a diehard Cardinals fan until Bidwell pulled an Irsay. Moved to Houston in 1990 and became a staunch supporter (season ticket holder) of the Oilers. My bad luck--another NFL team moved away from me. When the Rams moved to St. Louis, I rooted for the team in my hometown. I've pretty much always been loyal to the home team. Houston is now my home, so when Bob McNair got the Texans, they became my team (in terms of who I support).
Old 08-29-2006   #20
RiotCommander
All Pro

Send a message via ICQ to RiotCommander Send a message via AIM to RiotCommander

Born in Houston, but never was an Oilers fan. I followed the Cowboys from the early 80s until around the time they cut Emmit Smith. After that I really didn't watch much more then Notre Dame until the Texans were announced. Since then I have been a fan.

That first year was great clobbering the Cowboys. I still laugh thinking about the look on Jerry Jones's face (Even when I liked the Cowboys I hated this guy. He has his hands in everything. Sort of like Al Davis.)

Last edited by RiotCommander; 08-29-2006 at 02:47 PM.
RiotCommander is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read