Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 08-29-2006   #1
Ibar_Harry
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14 Ibar_Harry was voted MVPIbar_Harry was voted MVPIbar_Harry was voted MVP
Default Up in Arms!!!

This is from Kubiak's presser on Monday morning that is on this Web Site under Multimedia press.

(on clock-management at the end of the first half) ďWe definitely need to take a shot (at the endzone) right there. That was my fault. Iíll tell you what took place is, I felt like they called two time outs back-to-back (which should be a delay of game penalty), and I told the official that. As we discussed that the clock continued to move. They didnít reset the clock, and after it was all said and done he told me that he thought it was a mistake. But that doesnít matter. We have to handle mistakes. Thatís our job. I should have seen it moving. I hurt (QB) David (Carr) there by not getting the call in quick enough. We did not have a time out, and we didnít want to get caught on the field. So we have to handle the clock better. That was my fault.Ē

People were chidding David for this play during the game on Sunday. It was almost non-stop. I find it interesting to hear what the real story was. Again its like so much else going on out there. People think they know what Kubiak is doing and calling. If you go read the presser you will find out that Carr was suppose to dump it off as much as he did. We are using the short pass like a running game.

For the die hards out there we do have a team, they are coming along fine, and yes I think we are going to surprise a lot of people. Before the season everyone were shouting whoa is me with respect to defense. Its not what a lot of people thought it would be, its far better. The offense will be just fine once we get some more time. The only constants on offense are Wiegert(maybe not even him), Carr, AJ, and Pitts. The rest of the offense is new when you consider who was playing last year. Just give it a little more time and we will be having fun.

Without us making a couple of penalties on Sunday, Denver looses the game. Hey, the one penalty on special teams went from a field goal to a touchdown. That's 4 points and we lost by 3. I like our team and I like how they are coming along and how they are being treated by the coaching staff. Remember, Kubiak looks at film and has a different perception of what is happeing out on the field. I tend to like to listen to what he says. I have a bit of confidence in him as a coach.
Ibar_Harry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2006   #2
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 57147 Marcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respected

Whenever I read your posts Ibar, I always have to remind myself that you're from Fresno. Your posts are coherent and thought out, but you need to be more objective about Carr, and admit he didn't play well at all overall. I'm not a Carr hater and you know that.
Old 08-29-2006   #3
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 28048 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected

Whatever. When my team spends the first pipck in the draft on a QB and then we extend him into his fifth year I expect some leadership and imagination not Derek Zoolander. He has never had a finger on the pulse of a game, score and time situation in my opinion.

That TD opportunity should have been more importnat to DC, his unit, this team more so that Kubiak. And I would certainly guarantee that if Carr deviated and falied, Kubiak would have had his back, just like here, but would be thrilled that his QB took the next step.

In his Fresno days, did he ever have to run a live two minute drill?
Old 08-29-2006   #4
Texas
Hall of Fame

Send a message via AIM to Texas

I like how kubiak takes responsibility..Hes a good guy! I think he will lead us far!
Old 08-29-2006   #5
Texanfan4ever
All Pro

Rep Power: 76 Texanfan4ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanfan4ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanfan4ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanfan4ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanfan4ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanfan4ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanfan4ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanfan4ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanfan4ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanfan4ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanfan4ever is a quality contributor and well respected

Kaiser, do you think David should have just ignored what Kubiak told him to do, and done what he might have wanted to do? Surely you don't think that at this point, that that would have been the best decision on David's part??? Do you??? Just say shove it, Kubiak, I'm doing it my way?
Texanfan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2006   #6
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 28048 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texanfan4ever
Kaiser, do you think David should have just ignored what Kubiak told him to do, and done what he might have wanted to do? Surely you don't think that at this point, that that would have been the best decision on David's part??? Do you??? Just say shove it, Kubiak, I'm doing it my way?
It will need to happen at sometime. The sooner the better. As a former coach, captain and player in a collegiate sports environment you will never say this publicly or to the team, but the coaches are discussing it behind closed doors. Not looking for a loose cannon here, just looking for someone who wants to take ownership of the situation on the field of play.
Old 08-29-2006   #7
rittenhouserobz
Hall of Fame

Send a message via Yahoo to rittenhouserobz

I can percieve three things happening if Carr runs hiw own play.

1. Turnover to the Broncos D (possibly a return for a TD)
2. Texans score a TD
3. Carr is sacked and time runs out or RB tackled before the 1st Down with time running out.(No FG)

Sometimes it's the things you don't do that make the difference.
Old 08-29-2006   #8
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by rittenhouserobz
I can percieve three things happening if Carr runs hiw own play.

1. Turnover to the Broncos D (possibly a return for a TD)
2. Texans score a TD
3. Carr is sacked and time runs out or RB tackled before the 1st Down with time running out.(No FG)

Sometimes it's the things you don't do that make the difference.
Elway does not become the Elway we know by sitting idly waiting for instruction.
Old 08-29-2006   #9
Reddevil63
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 12 Reddevil63 is on the Pro-Bowl ballotReddevil63 is on the Pro-Bowl ballot
Send a message via AIM to Reddevil63 Send a message via Yahoo to Reddevil63

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaiser Toro
Whatever. When my team spends the first pipck in the draft on a QB and then we extend him into his fifth year I expect some leadership and imagination not Derek Zoolander. He has never had a finger on the pulse of a game, score and time situation in my opinion.

That TD opportunity should have been more importnat to DC, his unit, this team more so that Kubiak. And I would certainly guarantee that if Carr deviated and falied, Kubiak would have had his back, just like here, but would be thrilled that his QB took the next step.

In his Fresno days, did he ever have to run a live two minute drill?
Im curious as to what your response would have been if Carr threw an INT because the recievers weren't on the same page, or the clock ran out and they didnt even get a field goal? I find it hard to believe you would be commending Carr for taking it into his own hands then.
Old 08-29-2006   #10
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 109004 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reddevil63
Im curious as to what your response would have been if Carr threw an INT because the recievers weren't on the same page, or the clock ran out and they didnt even get a field goal? I find it hard to believe you would be commending Carr for taking it into his own hands then.
I think he is saying that a veteran savvy QB takes control in that situation and doesn't let the game slip away with a rookie-esque posture waiting for the coach to tell him what to do.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2006   #11
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reddevil63
Of course I would have been happy as this is something I have been wanting to see for some time as it would benefit the team immensely in my opinion. There has been a serious void when it comes to visible leadership on the offensive side of the ball.
Old 08-29-2006   #12
PoolMaster21
Rookie

Ibar

I think the responses here prove your point - without arguing your points that people overreacted by placing all blame on Carr for that specific play, or that Carr was told to dump off rather than throw downfield, the responses are all dedicated proposition that Carr is, was, and forever will be worthless.

While it's fun to draw immediate and iron-clad conclusions, let's at least wait until we get a few regular season games in under the new O system, eh?
PoolMaster21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2006   #13
hollywood_texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1649 hollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Here is the bottom line, regardless if Carr is dumping off because of direct orders, there isn't a defensive coordinator that will be concerned about David Carr when preparing their game plan from what he has shown this preseason.

That is going to be David's biggest obstacle to overcome the first part of the season. Defensive coordinators are going to take away that short stuff or let it happen to extent to where it is three and out. In addition, he is going to get blitzed like crazy.

So you can say Kubiak is calling the shots so far on Carr's throws, but the offense hasn't really shown a lot from the passing game. Teams are going to stack the line to stuff the run and take away the short passing game because they will not be concerned about the deep ball unless Carr starts to show he can burn defenses.

As for Kubiak giving Carr direct orders, he has also said that he has shown them most of the offense but can't implement all of it during a game because they don't get it yet. Kubiak is running on a short play book right now as I understand it. Read into that what you will.

It appears Carr and the offense are going to have a tough first half of the season.

The Eagles game is huge. They drop that one and it's going to be tough going for the next 6 games or so.
hollywood_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2006   #14
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 153118 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texanfan4ever
That's not the point.. Kubiak didn't tell him to do anything.

Carr should be just as aware as Kubiak is about the clock...... field management. If he sees Kubiak is pre-occupied, it shouldn't be too much to look to sherman or even up at the booth........ if he's getting nothing from them, he should call a play, and get moving.

Now I never blamed Carr for that incident........ I blamed Hocculi...... the spike, I blame Kubiak....
Old 08-29-2006   #15
FSUBulldog
Rookie

Kaiser is right. It is obvious that Texanfan4ever, rittenhouserobz, Reddevil63, PoolMaster21 and myself are all from Fresno. We all have to be homers not to agree with your point of view. It couldn't be that the "give them more than three preseason games to gel" approach is a valid one.

I highly doubt that some fans even enjoy watching the games at this point. At some point you lose the perspective of being a fan of "your" team and morph into a combination of a pre-2004 Red Sox/Cleveland Browns fan: someone who looks for every excuse to predict doomsday for their "team".

The sky is falling... The sky is falling...
FSUBulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2006   #16
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 153118 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoolMaster21
Ibar

I think the responses here prove your point - without arguing your points that people overreacted by placing all blame on Carr for that specific play, or that Carr was told to dump off rather than throw downfield, the responses are all dedicated proposition that Carr is, was, and forever will be worthless.

While it's fun to draw immediate and iron-clad conclusions, let's at least wait until we get a few regular season games in under the new O system, eh?
Peyton Manning turns the punting team around in a playoff game.... he knows they need a touchdown.

All we are asking, is David huddles the guys up, and call a play... at the goal line. What's the big deal??
Old 08-29-2006   #17
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSUBulldog
Kaiser is right. It is obvious that Texanfan4ever, rittenhouserobz, Reddevil63, PoolMaster21 and myself are all from Fresno. We all have to be homers not to agree with your point of view. It couldn't be that the "give them more than three preseason games to gel" approach is a valid one.

I highly doubt that some fans even enjoy watching the games at this point. At some point you lose the perspective of being a fan of "your" team and morph into a combination of a pre-2004 Red Sox/Cleveland Browns fan: someone who looks for every excuse to predict doomsday for their "team".

I don't think anyone is not giving the team time to gel.

We're waiting for Carr to step up.
Old 08-29-2006   #18
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 225351 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to infantrycak

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollywood_texan
They drop that one and it's going to be tough going for the next 6 games or so.
You might reconsider how sure fire a loss the Washington game is--they have not looked good this preseason. 17 total points scored to 87 given up. They were so bad against the Pats the commentators were wanting to call the game early on a mercy rule.
Old 08-29-2006   #19
Overalls
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 63 Overalls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSUBulldog

And Kaiser is from Austin so he COULD be a little disgruntled that we didn't take Vince and is leaning toward the anti-Carr movement.

We all bring in our own mind and prejudices into the conversations. The problems arise when we don't let those of differing opnion have an opinion.

Overalls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2006   #20
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 225351 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to infantrycak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overalls
And Kaiser is from Austin so he COULD be a little disgruntled that we didn't take Vince and is leaning toward the anti-Carr movement.
Kaiser is not a VY fan either--what he doesn't believe in are high draft pick/high paid QB's, especially those not performing to their level of pay.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read