Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 08-29-2006   #1
tacoman_j
Veteran

Default Seth Wand is starting LT

http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/teams/texans/index.html

Seth wand beat Spencer as LT. This suks
tacoman_j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2006   #2
Divebomb
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacoman_j

Unless I see it on this web site I do not believe that garbage. sporting news, those guys have no clue about the Texans
Divebomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2006   #3
Peldon
All Pro

Rep Power: 34 Peldon is a quality contributor and well respectedPeldon is a quality contributor and well respectedPeldon is a quality contributor and well respectedPeldon is a quality contributor and well respectedPeldon is a quality contributor and well respectedPeldon is a quality contributor and well respectedPeldon is a quality contributor and well respectedPeldon is a quality contributor and well respectedPeldon is a quality contributor and well respectedPeldon is a quality contributor and well respectedPeldon is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Divebomb
Unless I see it on this web site I do not believe that garbage. sporting news, those guys have no clue about the Texans
Especially when they say earlier in the article that Lundy and Morency are sharing the load with Antowain Smith.
Peldon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2006   #4
Texans Pride
Hall of Fame

Section: 111, Row Q
Rep Power: 347 Texans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respected

Megan Manfall also writes for the Chronicle
Texans Pride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2006   #5
Divebomb
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans Pride
Megan Manfall also writes for the Chronicle
LOL Then she should pull her head out of her ### and look around!!!! Some people!
Old 08-29-2006   #6
painekiller
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 4466 painekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respected

Megan Manfull has been out for a while on maternity leave. So this is an old article. Sorry to burst everyone bubble.
painekiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2006   #7
jerek
Pro Hobbyist

Rep Power: 11661 jerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to jerek

Manfull and the article contained other questionable statements ... I'm not saying it's not possible but I'm taking with a big grain of salt until I see this confirmed elsewhere. IMO Wand has shown good improvement but has made his own mistakes.
Old 08-29-2006   #8
Divebomb
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by painekiller
Megan Manfull has been out for a while on maternity leave. So this is an old article. Sorry to burst everyone bubble.

Hey thank goodness. I about had a stroke LOL. I was afraid we hade a Cowboys troll inbeded in the Chron.
Old 08-29-2006   #9
WILLIEG
Veteran

This is pretty easy to believe to me. If you watched any of the games during the pre-season than you would have noticed how Spencer lacks the footwork in order to keep the defenders from beating him. Although he is strong as hell and has a strong first punch, that's all he has. He often over extends himself out on DE's and that leaves the inside open to bring down the QB. Wand is much better in his footwork, but he is really weak in the upper body and lets the defenders lock into him to much. So pick your poison. Would you rather have a young inexperienced LT that has bad footwork and will get beat on the inside/outside, but good upper body strength or an experienced LT that is weak in the upper body and lets defenders into his body, but has very good footwok. Carr success starts up front!
WILLIEG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2006   #10
Hutch13
List of demands

Rep Power: 13 Hutch13 was voted MVPHutch13 was voted MVPHutch13 was voted MVPHutch13 was voted MVP
Send a message via AIM to Hutch13

Well if this is true i am disapointed i was hoping Spencer would start. I think in a few years he could be a pro bowler.
Hutch13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2006   #11
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 297041 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacoman_j

Aside from the fact that the article might not be up to date why would this suck? I'd expect Wand to beat out a rookie LT with as little experience as Spencer has. I'd also expect the coaches to start the one that gave us the best chance to win.

It doesn't matter if it's Wand or Spencer I want the best guy we have for the position to play it.
Old 08-29-2006   #12
WILLIEG
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hervoyel
Aside from the fact that the article might not be up to date why would this suck? I'd expect Wand to beat out a rookie LT with as little experience as Spencer has. I'd also expect the coaches to start the one that gave us the best chance to win.

It doesn't matter if it's Wand or Spencer I want the best guy we have for the position to play it.
I couldn't agree more! With Wand starting ahead of Spencer I think our # of sacks will be lesser compared is Spencer started off the season with no experience and his bad footwork. Looks like a Wand is diffently going to have his hands full throughout the first half of the season. Have you seen our schedule and his matchups. He should have it a lot easier during the second half of the season although.
Old 08-29-2006   #13
jerek
Pro Hobbyist

Rep Power: 11661 jerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by painekiller
That makes sense, but it was the August 27 up top that threw me off.
Old 08-29-2006   #14
WILLIEG
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerek
That makes sense, but it was the August 27 up top that threw me off.
Even if the article is old, I'd be willing to bet anyone that he starts the season.
Old 08-29-2006   #15
jerek
Pro Hobbyist

Quote:
Originally Posted by WILLIEG
Even if the article is old, I'd be willing to bet anyone that he starts the season.
I'm not so confident so as to bet you, but it wouldn't surprise me if Spencer makes the starter role. That he started against the Broncos -- the closest thing we have to a regular season dress rehearsel -- IMO is testament that Kubiak is very seriously considering the prospect, if he hasn't already decided on it.

Wand has shown substantial improvement but IMO there is a lot of sunshine blowing when it comes to the guy on this board. I have watched a lot of tape the past few weeks and he has made his own mistakes. I will happily admit that I may have been quick to condemn Seth back when we were early into camp and I was reporting on his position drill work, but I stand by my assertion that he is not likely the franchise LT of this team. There is plenty of time yet for him to prove me wrong but I'm still leaning toward Spencer inheriting the position sooner rather than later.
Old 08-29-2006   #16
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 72472 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by [[Gary Kubiak]]
Give Wand least 3 games.
Seems reasonable to me. He has had one year of playing experience with mixed results and Spencer has not beat him out. Carr has had 4 years playing with mixed results and hasn't been beaten out. They both have had equally bad coaching and systems to work with. The difference is Wand was beat down by the last staff and Carr was propped up. If Carr gets another half to full season to prove himself, why not Wand? Is the double standard that blatant?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hervoyel
Aside from the fact that the article might not be up to date why would this suck?
Because Wand has a stigma associated with his name from the Joe Pendry days. In reality, Wand's play on the field now is well above his play in 2004. An evaluation of Wand and Spencer's pre-season game play without regard for the name on the jersey does not support the conclusion that Wand sucks and Spencer is a Pro Bowler in the making. Spencer just gets the benefit of the doubt since he's new and hasn't disappointed anyone yet.

That being said, a case could be made that our two best tackles are Wand and Spencer, and it does suck that they are both on the left side. I wonder if that will change.

Last edited by Runner; 08-29-2006 at 01:56 AM.
Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2006   #17
Napa Auto Parts
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17 Napa Auto Parts could be on the next Madden coverNapa Auto Parts could be on the next Madden coverNapa Auto Parts could be on the next Madden coverNapa Auto Parts could be on the next Madden coverNapa Auto Parts could be on the next Madden coverNapa Auto Parts could be on the next Madden cover

So in all of this were does winston fall i fell in love with him during draft time on NFL radio with PK Calling him a monster and praising him saying he was 1st round talent.
Napa Auto Parts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2006   #18
Scooter
Funky

Rep Power: 140741 Scooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by [[Gary Kubiak]]
Could it be that Wand is more mobile and decent at best at pass protect?
i really need to go back and re-watch the last couple of games, but it's seemed to me that the two are backwards. i thought spencer looked better in pass protection, while wand really appeared to pick up the zone scheme. wand's known more for his footwork and agility, while spencer's the big body, but from the play that i've seen ... they looked to be the opposite of what was expected. as of right now, i'm guessing that the two are about even as far as who's projected to start. i bet it comes down to our initial gameplan as to who gets the nod. either way, i'm MUCH more worried about the right side of the line.
Old 08-29-2006   #19
WILLIEG
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerek
I'm not so confident so as to bet you, but it wouldn't surprise me if Spencer makes the starter role. That he started against the Broncos -- the closest thing we have to a regular season dress rehearsel -- IMO is testament that Kubiak is very seriously considering the prospect, if he hasn't already decided on it.

Wand has shown substantial improvement but IMO there is a lot of sunshine blowing when it comes to the guy on this board. I have watched a lot of tape the past few weeks and he has made his own mistakes. I will happily admit that I may have been quick to condemn Seth back when we were early into camp and I was reporting on his position drill work, but I stand by my assertion that he is not likely the franchise LT of this team. There is plenty of time yet for him to prove me wrong but I'm still leaning toward Spencer inheriting the position sooner rather than later.
I have also seen alot of tape this year as well, but the deciding factor will be GK deciding to go with an unexperienced LT who is really built like a guard or the experience (although limited) of Wand who has done a better job in my grading of him compared to Spencer. The first half of the season is giong to be really hard for whoever GL sticks in there at LT. I do agree that Wand at best is a servicable LT and the only reason he will start over Sencer is, because of his footwork and experience. Spencer is strong in the upper body, but has a long way to go with his footwork. Wand has great footwork, but is weak in the upper body. Pick your Poison!
Old 08-29-2006   #20
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 72472 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Napa Auto Parts
So in all of this were does winston fall i fell in love with him during draft time on NFL radio with PK Calling him a monster and praising him saying he was 1st round talent.
I think reality struck in Winston's case. For as highly touted as he was by some, he wasn't a first round talent as evaluated by the NFL teams. There were many posts during OTAs that Winston would end up being the starting LT this year. Spencer's good play and rapid adjustment to the pro game made people forget about Winston. Fans are fickle.

As someone stated before though, we have some good depth along the line and especially at tackle for a change. The future does look bright for the o-line.

Last edited by Runner; 08-29-2006 at 02:12 AM.
Runner is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read