Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read


Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-28-2006   #1
Divebomb
Veteran
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Age: 35
Posts: 237
Rep Power: 8 Divebomb is ridin' the pine
Default Eric Moulds caught off guard on the deep pass?????

I rewatched the deep route play, no doubt about it that Moulds was at about half speed at the start of the route. Even as he broke into position for the fade route he was not at full speed and once he saw Carr throw the ball his direction he was in 6th gear and really screaming down the field trying to get to the ball. It really looked as if he was caught off guard. I think that the recievers even feel that Carr is a short pass only QB. I know one thing for sure, Moulds made up for it on his next catch and he ran much faster on every route after that LOL.
Divebomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2006   #2
RiotCommander
All Pro
 
RiotCommander's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Age: 37
Posts: 659
Rep Power: 11 RiotCommander is a fan favorite
Send a message via ICQ to RiotCommander Send a message via AIM to RiotCommander
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Divebomb
I rewatched the deep route play, no doubt about it that Moulds was at about half speed at the start of the route. Even as he broke into position for the fade route he was not at full speed and once he saw Carr throw the ball his direction he was in 6th gear and really screaming down the field trying to get to the ball. It really looked as if he was caught off guard. I think that the recievers even feel that Carr is a short pass only QB. I know one thing for sure, Moulds made up for it on his next catch and he ran much faster on every route after that LOL.

I just got a chance to watch the game myself for the first time. To me it looked like a WR trying to get the CB to relax then turning the burners on to get seperation. It worked, just not well enough. He needed just a step or two more to catch it. I like the play, it will work in time.
RiotCommander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2006   #3
Divebomb
Veteran
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Age: 35
Posts: 237
Rep Power: 8 Divebomb is ridin' the pine
Default

A great pass is when it hits your recievers in the hands not 3 yards in front of the guy. So if Carr overthrows every pass from here on out we will have a great year? He overthrew his reciever. Dude you listen to that vomit comming out of Sterling Sharps mouth if you want to. The only positive out of that throw was that 1 it was not intercepted and 2 Carr finally threw one deep!
Divebomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2006   #4
Divebomb
Veteran
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Age: 35
Posts: 237
Rep Power: 8 Divebomb is ridin' the pine
Default

It was good though of Carr to go for the deep route and I give the guy props for doing so. I hope he does it more often. It did show he has the arm strenght. If he does that more often he will get his timming down and make that throw.
Divebomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2006   #5
Sudds
Rookie
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Age: 40
Posts: 41
Rep Power: 0 Sudds is ridin' the pine
Default

To say that because Moulds was cruising at the beginning of the play is because he only considers Carr to be a short route QB is absolutely rediciulous. Have you ever played this game before? Carr has as strong an arm as anyone. Stop making conclusions on your lack of football knowledge. That was Moulds fault, period. David threw the ball exactly where it needed to be if Moulds was running full speed the entire route. Just because you are against everything that Carr does, don't make up unknowledgable reasons or weird assumptions as to why Moulds didn't hustle the entire route. At least give Carr credit for putting the throw on the money. Bias is a very bad thing my man...don't let it make you look stupid. Be objective and fair. You may not like Carr for his progress thus far in his career, but that throw was money and he deserves credit. This entire board is losing objectivity with Carr.
Sudds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2006   #6
infantrycak
Lead Moderator
 
infantrycak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Austin, TX
Age: 46
Posts: 44,627
Rep Power: 276022 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Divebomb
A great pass is when it hits your recievers in the hands not 3 yards in front of the guy. So if Carr overthrows every pass from here on out we will have a great year? He overthrew his reciever. Dude you listen to that vomit comming out of Sterling Sharps mouth if you want to. The only positive out of that throw was that 1 it was not intercepted and 2 Carr finally threw one deep!
So do you have a position in this thread? Seems like your 1st post and this post contradict.
__________________
The Art of War
infantrycak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2006   #7
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame
 
CloakNNNdagger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 15,424
Rep Power: 171407 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected
Default

Watching Moulds over the the last few weeks, even when he is not thrown to, his speed is NOT a problem. There's lots left in the afterburner. The problem on the play in question simply seems to be that he and Carr were evidently not quite on the same page. We won't exactly know why, since we don't know how the play was called in the first place. But, NO, be assured that Mould can still run by the secondary.
CloakNNNdagger is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 08-29-2006   #8
V Man
Pumpkinhead
 
V Man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Alamo City
Age: 46
Posts: 2,589
Rep Power: 19 V Man could be on the next Madden coverV Man could be on the next Madden coverV Man could be on the next Madden coverV Man could be on the next Madden coverV Man could be on the next Madden coverV Man could be on the next Madden cover
Send a message via MSN to V Man
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiotCommander
I just got a chance to watch the game myself for the first time. To me it looked like a WR trying to get the CB to relax then turning the burners on to get seperation. It worked, just not well enough. He needed just a step or two more to catch it. I like the play, it will work in time.
That is what I thought also. He was setting up the CB. Just the throw was a little to long.
V Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2006   #9
real
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiotCommander
I just got a chance to watch the game myself for the first time. To me it looked like a WR trying to get the CB to relax then turning the burners on to get seperation. It worked, just not well enough. He needed just a step or two more to catch it. I like the play, it will work in time.
Exactly...And that is exactly what it looked like...
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2006   #10
real
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger
Watching Moulds over the the last few weeks, even when he is not thrown to, his speed is NOT a problem. There's lots left in the afterburner. The problem on the play in question simply seems to be that he and Carr were evidently not quite on the same page. We won't exactly know why, since we don't know how the play was called in the first place. But, NO, be assured that Mould can still run by the secondary.
What do you mean "not quite on the same page"...It wasn't a messed up route, or terribly thrown ball...It was just a little long...You are reading too much into nothing...Receivers do it all the time...It's how the set up the corner...and when the ball is thrown it catches the corner off gaurd because he was used to that one speed and then all of a sudden has to adjust and by that time Moulds was already diving for the ball...If Moulds would have come out full speed the corner would have sped up and been step for step with him...And it would have alerted the safety...This guy is an all pro wide reciever and has been successful for a long period of time on an un successful football team...This guy has more class and is smart enough not to slack off "because he thinks the ball isn't coming his way"...He can recognize coverage people and he knew he was gonna have an opening to catch the ball...puhhhhleeeeez....end of thread...

Edit: and it wasn't really anyones fault...The ball was just a little long, and Moulds was just a little too slow...It was just a timing thing that the reciever and QB need to practice and get better at...it was almost done to perfection...relax

Last edited by real; 08-29-2006 at 09:06 AM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2006   #11
jdog
All Pro
 
jdog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Age: 40
Posts: 838
Rep Power: 16 jdog could be on the next Madden coverjdog could be on the next Madden coverjdog could be on the next Madden coverjdog could be on the next Madden coverjdog could be on the next Madden coverjdog could be on the next Madden coverjdog could be on the next Madden cover
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Divebomb
A great pass is when it hits your recievers in the hands not 3 yards in front of the guy. So if Carr overthrows every pass from here on out we will have a great year? He overthrew his reciever. Dude you listen to that vomit comming out of Sterling Sharps mouth if you want to. The only positive out of that throw was that 1 it was not intercepted and 2 Carr finally threw one deep!
You have to anticipate and lead. I personally think they both did a fine job. It's preseason, and they are new to each other. I think they'll be clicking soon on that deep pass.
jdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2006   #12
rittenhouserobz
Hall of Fame
 
rittenhouserobz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 1,100
Rep Power: 12 rittenhouserobz is ridin' the pine
Send a message via Yahoo to rittenhouserobz
Default

Carr had to throw the pass long before Moulds was near the ball. I believe it is up to the reciever to adjust to the ball once it is in the air. Carr can't slow down, speed up, turn the ball left, right, up or down. He put the ball in the vicinity. It is up to Moulds to adjust or speed up. IMHO
__________________
We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid. Ben Franklin
rittenhouserobz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2006   #13
real
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rittenhouserobz
Carr had to throw the pass long before Moulds was near the ball. I believe it is up to the reciever to adjust to the ball once it is in the air. Carr can't slow down, speed up, turn the ball left, right, up or down. He put the ball in the vicinity. It is up to Moulds to adjust or speed up. IMHO
You can't pin it on one guy because you don't know how they practice that play, and you don't know how they wanted Carr or Moulds to run it...Moulds may have ran it perfectly for all you know, and the ball was just a little long...and since when has it become acceptable for a QB to not be as accurate as possible ?
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2006   #14
rittenhouserobz
Hall of Fame
 
rittenhouserobz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 1,100
Rep Power: 12 rittenhouserobz is ridin' the pine
Send a message via Yahoo to rittenhouserobz
Default

You can't say Carr wasn't spot on either. I think it is common knowledge that as the distance of a thrown object increases the accuracy decreases. The WR's in the NFL have to adjust all the time. I am willing to bet Roy Williams or AJ would have caught that ball, because they would have found that "extra gear" that Moulds didn't appear to have. Just the facts of life. Moulds is will help us pick apart a zone defense all day, but he will not be running go routes down the left side of the field much.

I fully expect Carr to be on the money with 10 yard passes. That is why I would say he did a terrible job leading Lundy on the interception play. Given the distance of the throw and the level of accuracy on the pass.

I would say he was within 3 ft of his spot on the longer pass. He hit the spot and Moulds missed it.
__________________
We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid. Ben Franklin
rittenhouserobz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2006   #15
real
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rittenhouserobz
You can't say Carr wasn't spot on either. I think it is common knowledge that as the distance of a thrown object increases the accuracy decreases. The WR's in the NFL have to adjust all the time. I am willing to bet Roy Williams or AJ would have caught that ball, because they would have found that "extra gear" that Moulds didn't appear to have. Just the facts of life. Moulds is will help us pick apart a zone defense all day, but he will not be running go routes down the left side of the field much.

I fully expect Carr to be on the money with 10 yard passes. That is why I would say he did a terrible job leading Lundy on the interception play. Given the distance of the throw and the level of accuracy on the pass.

I would say he was within 3 ft of his spot on the longer pass. He hit the spot and Moulds missed it.

That may be true for the average guy out back playing with his buddies, but It is the NFL and a lot is asked from both the reciever and the QB. There are plenty of QB's in the leauge that could have tightened up that throw and dropped it into Moulds bread basket...he wouldn't have had to "find that extra gear" or dive for that matter...Just like there are some recievers that could have made an incredible catch...Be logical about it...You are expecting amazing catches from the recieveer, but you don't hold the QB accountable and expect an amazing pass...It was a good pass and good effort from the reciever...Like I stated earlier, they both need to work on their timing so THEY can get it right...
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2006   #16
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame
 
CloakNNNdagger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 15,424
Rep Power: 171407 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtruroyaltyx
What do you mean "not quite on the same page"...It wasn't a messed up route, or terribly thrown ball...It was just a little long...You are reading too much into nothing...Receivers do it all the time...It's how the set up the corner...and when the ball is thrown it catches the corner off gaurd because he was used to that one speed and then all of a sudden has to adjust and by that time Moulds was already diving for the ball...If Moulds would have come out full speed the corner would have sped up and been step for step with him...And it would have alerted the safety...This guy is an all pro wide reciever and has been successful for a long period of time on an un successful football team...This guy has more class and is smart enough not to slack off "because he thinks the ball isn't coming his way"...He can recognize coverage people and he knew he was gonna have an opening to catch the ball...puhhhhleeeeez....end of thread...

Edit: and it wasn't really anyones fault...The ball was just a little long, and Moulds was just a little too slow...It was just a timing thing that the reciever and QB need to practice and get better at...it was almost done to perfection...relax
I wasn't trying to read anything into that play. I was merely saying that we don't know what the route was to be. Was Moulds to stop and go midfield or long? Was he to go full out? Was Carr to emperically throw it to a certain spot with Moulds to be expected there? Was Carr to throw to Moulds right after a hitch and go? Was it timing or routes not being coordinated? Or was it both players trying to improvise to make things happen when nothing else was available? We don't know, because we don't know what play was called to exactly determine why it didn't consumate. All these aforementioned questions would potentially reflect not "being on the same page." There is nothing to be read into this play, other than it didn't work out.
CloakNNNdagger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2006   #17
real
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger
I wasn't trying to read anything into that play. I was merely saying that we don't know what the route was to be. Was Moulds to stop and go midfield or long? Was he to go full out? Was Carr to emperically throw it to a certain spot with Moulds to be expected there? Was Carr to throw to Moulds right after a hitch and go? Was it timing or routes not being coordinated? Or was it both players trying to improvise to make things happen when nothing else was available?We don't know, because we don't know what play was called to exactly determine why it didn't consumate. All these aforementioned questions would potentially reflect not "being on the same page." There is nothing to be read into this play, other than it didn't work out.
O.k I can agree with that...But I know I quoted you, but after rereading what you wrote I didn't disagree too much with what you said...But I agree, we don't know the specifics of the play so it would be foolish for us to point out one player was wrong...IMO, it was a pretty good play on both parts; Moulds with the hesitation and then getting seperation from the corner, and Carr for dropping it in before the safety could come over...with jut a little bit more time they will be connecting on those...
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2006   #18
Divebomb
Veteran
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Age: 35
Posts: 237
Rep Power: 8 Divebomb is ridin' the pine
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak
So do you have a position in this thread? Seems like your 1st post and this post contradict.
No they dont, I never said Carr can not make those kind of throws. I said he has NOT attempted any deep passes up to that point in the preseason. How many deep routes do you run at full speed and turn around to watch Carr dump it off to the FB or RB in the flat? That is why I think Moulds looked like he was not full speed on the play until of course it was to late.
Divebomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2006   #19
real
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Divebomb
No they dont, I never said Carr can not make those kind of throws. I said he has NOT attempted any deep passes up to that point in the preseason. How many deep routes do you run at full speed and turn around to watch Carr dump it off to the FB or RB in the flat? That is why I think Moulds looked like he was not full speed on the play until of course it was to late.
I think there is another explanation for Moulds not coming out of the blocks full speed...See the many post above^^^
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2006   #20
thunderkyss 
& so it begins
 
thunderkyss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Texas
Age: 42
Posts: 33,345
Rep Power: 194858 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by [[Gary Kubiak]]
Said Moulds might missed a step and goes to say it was Carr's fault. Hrmmmm hook line and sinker. Goes to show you mention Carr and it's automatically his fault.

Is it Carr's fault too that the 6'3 Andre Johnson can't out jump a 5'8 second stringer for a perfectly placed ball? To boot AJ had inside position. AJ has to work on his game too.

Hope it gets better when it counts.
Carr put AJ in a bad position. There was no reason to put so much air under that ball...... that was a bad pass.
__________________
thunderkyss is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:33 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Ad Management by RedTyger