Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

Old 06-01-2004   #21
J-Man
Veteran

This could be kinda fun to watch unfold. It is not that far fetched that he could make a practice squad, there have been several folks over the years who have made it into the NFL with minimal college expierence. Admittedly, few if any have had no NCAA chops (only one I can think of was the TE experiment that we had last year...the B-Ball player, Kent).

Point in fact he might actually have some decent workouts, his wrestling background (college and pro) gives him great body control, small space agility, hand strength, and upper body technique.

Eat 'em Up, KATS!
J-Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2004   #22
Lucky

Rep Power: 172599 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Man
It is not that far fetched that he could make a practice squad...
No, it's very far fetched. Practice squad players are an injury away from making a NFL roster. This guy has never played football. High school ball in South Dakota? I think a Class A Texas HS team could handle any SD team. If the guy went to the CFL (who are desparate for pub) and showed he could play over the course of a season, maybe you'd give him a practice squad slot. Or at least a year in Europe or the arena league. But to play NFL D-line right away? Not going to happen. As far as I know, the guy has never really hit someone for real in his life.
Lucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2004   #23
J-Man
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky
No, it's very far fetched. Practice squad players are an injury away from making a NFL roster. This guy has never played football. High school ball in South Dakota? I think a Class A Texas HS team could handle any SD team. If the guy went to the CFL (who are desparate for pub) and showed he could play over the course of a season, maybe you'd give him a practice squad slot. Or at least a year in Europe or the arena league. But to play NFL D-line right away? Not going to happen. As far as I know, the guy has never really hit someone for real in his life.
I probably should have elaborated a little more in the 1st post. I don't think it's far fetched for him to make the practice squad or maybe even a cameo in a preseason game. Saying something is not far fetched in no way makes it any less difficult to accomplish. I agree that he would need to go have an extremly accelerated learning cycle to even be viable and that a year in NFLE would serve him pretty well. Simple fact is that he has the physical tools (that a lot of folks who came out for the draft didn't from a pure numbers stand point if the article is accurate) and combative background. Could he make a roster yes...but likely? No.

Eat 'em Up, KATS!
J-Man is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read