Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 08-28-2006   #1
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 80254 Marcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Andre Johnson

I know I'm going to get kicked in the teeth for starting this thread, but I seriously really do wonder if this guy is all that he's cracked up to be.

I mean, this guy is 6'3" at 220, and supposedly runs a 4.3, right?

So why is it that he never gets open on a deep route? It's taken for granted that he's Carr's primary receiver. Carr looks for him more than anyone else. How come he never gets separation? Chad Johnson does it for Carson Palmer. Marvin Harrison does it for Peyton Manning. TO does it for whoever the quarterback is. So does Randy Moss.

Double coverage is a non-starter here. All primary receivers are double covered. Not having a decent 2nd receiver is an excuse I take issue with also.

Is he just not that quick? I'd love to see what his time in the short shuttle was in the combine, as compared to his 40 time.

And what about jump balls? Why is that when Carr goes deep to AJ, it's always a jumpball with the cornerback who is covering like a blanket? Again, no separation. But even then, when you have a 6'3" going up against a 5'8" in those situations, like last night, you'd think there would be better results.

Carr gets a lot of money, and right now he's not earning it, but I don't think AJ is earning those big bucks either. I expect more production from such an 'elite' receiver. Right now, I think he's overrated.
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2006   #2
Texas
Hall of Fame

Send a message via AIM to Texas

AJ probably doesnt expect it much
Old 08-28-2006   #3
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 66827 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected

He played like his hype in 2005. He was getting separation, averaging over 5 yards after each catch, and making jump balls routinely. Last year he was slowed by injury and playcalling. Give him time to re-aquaint himself with the offense, and then judge him. He hasn't had too many throws to him early in the preseason
gtexan02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2006   #4
SESupergenius

I tend to agree. This is going back to last year as well. Where is his big play ability. Time and time again you see WR make big plays because either the ball is throw with pinpoint accuracy and the WR makes a great catch, or the WR adjusts to the ball when covered. I am not seeing that out of AJ. No way a guy 5'8 should be out leaping Andre Johnson. No way. He did make a clutch slant 3rd down catch, but other than that I am not that impressed with his play making capabilities.
Old 08-28-2006   #5
HOOK'EM
Veteran

Remember at the probowl a couple years ago, he came in 2nd in the fastest man competition.
HOOK'EM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2006   #6
texan279
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3367 texan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respected

I've been saying this for two seasons now but most didn't want to hear it or even think about the possibility...
Old 08-28-2006   #7
Cjeremy635
Overtraining

Rep Power: 31248 Cjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respected

I think he just needs to learn to be more physical. He has to learn to use his hands and long arms for seperation or he will never get open. That is the difference with him and other top receivers. Unfortunately, we got Shanahan's kid as a receivers coach, I don't know him or his credentials, but I think we need experienced coaches at every position at this point. If he doesn't learn to use his large frame for seperation, the CB's in this league will cover him like a blanket every time. All he needs is an extra yard of seperation that he can get from initial contact at the line of scrimmage. He needs to jam the opposing CB and damn near push them down. They're already back peddling so the momentum is in his favor. As long as it's within the legal 5 yards he has every right to be as physical as he wants. (or do it down the field but don't get caught)
Old 08-28-2006   #8
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 66827 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected

The NFL Fastest man competition has been the pinnacle for 2 of our players now:

AJ gets 2nd, falls flat the next year
Mathis hurts his foot

Its like the Texans madden curse. Lets just hope DRob doesn't make it to the probowl this year...wait, what?
gtexan02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2006   #9
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

I remember a couple of tremendous jumping catchs AJ made back in '04.
One against the Chiefs and one in the EZ against I think the Vikings ?
He should have had that ball last night when he had only one-on-one coverage by the little 5' 8" Broncos DB. Frankly, AJ went up for that ball like
he had lead in his tail. Hopefully, it was just a presason effort and not what we'd see from him in the regular season.
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2006   #10
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 32563 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunusguy
Frankly, AJ went up for that ball like
he had lead in his tail. Hopefully, it was just a presason effort and not what we'd see from him in the regular season.
I thought he was off balance and didn't really get his feet under him.
Old 08-28-2006   #11
real

A.J needs to step his game up.....
Old 08-28-2006   #12
Hulk75
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 427 Hulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respected

Dre is fine, but on the deep ball, he has got to use his vert to get that ball.

Thats him he has got to get that ball.
Hulk75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2006   #13
jerek
Pro Hobbyist

Rep Power: 11661 jerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to jerek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runner
I thought he was off balance and didn't really get his feet under him.
Wow, was it so difficult to see? He was friggin off balance; he botched one reception, let the guy be for it.

Andre is like anybody else in the offense; adjusting to a new scheme. He and DC need a little time to rediscover themselves now. IMO Andre is TO without the attitude.

You people slay me.
Old 08-28-2006   #14
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 119106 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerek
Wow, was it so difficult to see? He was friggin off balance; he botched one reception, let the guy be for it.

Andre is like anybody else in the offense; adjusting to a new scheme. He and DC need a little time to rediscover themselves now. IMO Andre is TO without the attitude.

You people slay me.
No slaying here. I agree with you. If DC settles down, he'd be even better. Andre is bigger than TO too.
Old 08-28-2006   #15
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 80254 Marcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
IMO Andre is TO without the attitude.
And you say that people slay YOU?
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2006   #16
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 32563 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Wow, was it so difficult to see?
Apparently so. I think that single play is being over analyzed. Dre had better push for his 100 receptions this year though. I know he wants them.
Old 08-28-2006   #17
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 182552 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

The previous staff drafted a race horse and turned him into a plow mule . AJ will get open deep when the Texans run play action after getting 4.5 yds a pop .
Old 08-28-2006   #18
texan279
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3367 texan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respected

AJ=TO?
Old 08-28-2006   #19
TEXANRED
Texan-American

Rep Power: 64444 TEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus
I know I'm going to get kicked in the teeth for starting this thread, but I seriously really do wonder if this guy is all that he's cracked up to be.

I mean, this guy is 6'3" at 220, and supposedly runs a 4.3, right?

So why is it that he never gets open on a deep route? It's taken for granted that he's Carr's primary receiver. Carr looks for him more than anyone else. How come he never gets separation? Chad Johnson does it for Carson Palmer. Marvin Harrison does it for Peyton Manning. TO does it for whoever the quarterback is. So does Randy Moss.

Double coverage is a non-starter here. All primary receivers are double covered. Not having a decent 2nd receiver is an excuse I take issue with also.

Is he just not that quick? I'd love to see what his time in the short shuttle was in the combine, as compared to his 40 time.

And what about jump balls? Why is that when Carr goes deep to AJ, it's always a jumpball with the cornerback who is covering like a blanket? Again, no separation. But even then, when you have a 6'3" going up against a 5'8" in those situations, like last night, you'd think there would be better results.

Carr gets a lot of money, and right now he's not earning it, but I don't think AJ is earning those big bucks either. I expect more production from such an 'elite' receiver. Right now, I think he's overrated.
You won't get kicked from me. I have been saying that for a while. AJ IMO has played like an average #1 or a top #2 thus far in his career. 6'3 220 and getting out muscled by 5'8 180? To add insult to injury, buy a CB that isn't anything special.

AJ needs to learn to be more physical and not get out muscled. He needs to learn to get separation from the defender. By no means is AJ an elite receiver yet. This is his fourth year, but like Carr, is learning a different system. AJ and Carr have 0 chemistry together and never look like they are on the same page.

That is what I was complaining about during the off season. Instead of him being in Miami he needed to be here with his QB building a relationship together. Chad Johnson used to sleep at the facility and hangs out with Palmer and Manning and Harrison are in each others heads at all times.

Although I will say this, I saw AJ on one of his completions break his route and come back to the ball. I don't recall seeing that the first four years.

In an indirect way Carr and AJ holds each others futures in there hands. Both of them are going to have to do a better job of helping out one another if they are going to stay Houston Texans.

But that is just my opinion.

TEXANRED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2006   #20
jerek
Pro Hobbyist

Rep Power: 11661 jerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to jerek

Apparently you people forget that a receiver needs his QB to get him the ball. Otherwise, we might as well put the best blocker we can find out there and pay him 150k a year.

How you know that Andre "never creates any separation" or "never gets open on a deep route" is beyond me, since prior to this season, the telecast was focused squarely on David Carr getting sacked in the pocket. This year, Carr has thrown a lot of short passes; either by design of offense, or unwillingness to test the long ball. I'd go primarily with (a) though clearly it is some of (b), but that is more an indictment of David Carr having nerves than it is his belief in Andre's skill.

If you'll remember the Jacksonville home game last year (might be asking a bit much, since people on this board routinely use qualifiers such as "never" -- meaning, never this game, or never this quarter -- Carr hit Andre on a deep post across the middle; plenty of separation, beautiful ball, easy TD. Andre screwed up his jump of the ball last night, but cut him a break for pete's sake; not everyone makes every play perfectly.

Andre is long on talent and upside and I think he is poised to have a breakout year. The T.O. comparison stems from their obvious similarities in physical gifts. Talk about cutting him if you'd like, but barring injury, I'll still be here for you to kiss my feet and ask forgiveness when the season's up.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read