Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 08-28-2006   #1
Divebomb
Veteran

Default No Love From The Media, Even After Handing The Broncs Their Toughest Competition!

Well I would have to say that Denver was the game I thought for sure would bring our guys into the spotlight or at least get some type of love. Denver comming of a game where the first team Offense has 28 point by half time last week and rushed for over 220 yrds rushing last week and we shut there running game down. Plummer threw almost 3 times as many passes against us yet he barely matched his passing yards from last week when he only attempted 8 passes. Cutler, who the media has hyped to be the next Tom Brady, looked like crap under pressure against our second and third string Defense. I guess it doesn't matter, hopefully the rest of the NFL was not watching so when we play Philly it will that much better when we stomp a mude hole in em. Morency and Lundy out performed the Bell's, Carr humm stats say he played better than Plummer, and now that I look back at the game he actually did play better than plummer. Regardless, I hope we can fly under the radar long enough to pick up some unexpected wins.
Divebomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2006   #2
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 133798 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Didn't the game just finish like a couple of hours ago?

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2006   #3
ledzeppelin229
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 712 ledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to ledzeppelin229

And didn't the first team offense look incompetent? Carr looked clueless until the last 3 minutes of the 2nd quarter and when he played part of the 3rd quarter. I honestly didn't even know if Johnson and Moulds were even playing until close to the 2nd half because they never got a ball thrown their way. Not to mention Morency didn't get to play until the 2nd half and I've been more impressed with him than Lundy.

Personally I don't want to see what the media has to say...the score was close but our first team offense was atrocious.

ledzeppelin229 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2006   #4
Grid
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2272 Grid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respected

we also got our best offensive play when our 1st string offense went up against the Denver 2nd string defense.
Grid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2006   #5
Roughnecks
Veteran

Rep Power: 90 Roughnecks is a quality contributor and well respectedRoughnecks is a quality contributor and well respectedRoughnecks is a quality contributor and well respectedRoughnecks is a quality contributor and well respectedRoughnecks is a quality contributor and well respectedRoughnecks is a quality contributor and well respectedRoughnecks is a quality contributor and well respectedRoughnecks is a quality contributor and well respectedRoughnecks is a quality contributor and well respectedRoughnecks is a quality contributor and well respectedRoughnecks is a quality contributor and well respected

Defence played great and it would have been a diffrent out com if not for the field position we gave them. Now the offence looked bad but to their defence and even the Bronco players mention this Denver see's this every day they even said it was like pratice because they knew the plays by the formations we were in. I still thought they would have done better I like to see them go deep more often like on play action. Our guy's have not played this type of offence that long so I bet we give them a much harder game next time offence wise. Besides I figure next week game would show were we are at because Tampa D is a beast but unlike Denver they don't know the offence, even if the 2nd and 3rd string play most of the game we should have a good idea were we are at.
Roughnecks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2006   #6
rafterticket
Veteran

You really didn't quote any media sources, and I see no else has said this but in the short time after the game I was very happy with the way Sterling Sharpe spoke about the Texans during the game, and I thought Rich Eisen and Steve Mariucci were very positive about the team and their direction. Their comments were critical, but very positive, and if I remember correctly, it was Rich Eisen who said very early last year that the Texans STUNK.

Anyway, I've taken some good from watching tonight's game, on the defensive side of the ball, to be sure. The offense.........it would be very fair to say that I hope Kubes does some grilling. My big question as a fan is do we have to do that rollout so much because we can't hold the pocket?
Old 08-28-2006   #7
quicksilver
Overweight

Quote:
Originally Posted by rafterticket
do we have to do that rollout so much because we can't hold the pocket?
My understanding is that we do that rollout so much because it gets the O-line moving in such a way that the initial look on the rollout pass is just like that of an outside run, with the purpose of catching the opposing defense off guard.
Old 08-28-2006   #8
TEXANRED
Texan-American

Rep Power: 43520 TEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ledzeppelin269
And didn't the first team offense look incompetent? Carr looked clueless until the last 3 minutes of the 2nd quarter and when he played part of the 3rd quarter. I honestly didn't even know if Johnson and Moulds were even playing until close to the 2nd half because they never got a ball thrown their way. Not to mention Morency didn't get to play until the 2nd half and I've been more impressed with him than Lundy.

Personally I don't want to see what the media has to say...the score was close but our first team offense was atrocious.
Don't take this the wrong way, the offense did look out of sink, however, thats the Broncos D. That is easily a top 5 D this year. Don't forget either, the Broncos were also in the AFC championship game last year. Thats a darn good team.

That being said, when you play a good team you can't make mistakes like Spencers hold on our own 17 yard line, you can't line up over the center on a field goal(gives Broncos first down results a touchdown), Owens can't jump offsides on fourth and inches when you are at the 10 yard line going in for a score, you can't throw an INT, if your going out for a deep pass you should sprint, not jog (Moulds) and Finely if you are the highest payed player on the team and six foot plus, 220 lbs and you are thrown a ball where you are given the chance to make a play, you have to be able to out jump the smaller shorter guy(Johnson).

That just my take on the game. The D looked stellar. Go Ryan's. I once asked "Who the heck is this guy?" Now I know.

TEXANRED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2006   #9
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm very happy with the game results, considering we played against one of the leagues best in their most difficult home field stadium at altitude (many of our guys have never been above sea level while the Bronos practice in altitude every day), and it was the next to last preseason game when the Broncos made an honest effort instrerad of just going thru the motions.
We should be thrilled with the defense ! And the the D-Line is very good and very deep. And DeMeco - wow, what a pick !
The offense, well its inconsistant but shows promise at times. I dunno, its a
work in process. But its of far more concern at this time than the D.
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2006   #10
O.G.
Veteran

Send a message via AIM to O.G. Send a message via Yahoo to O.G.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEXANRED
Don't take this the wrong way, the offense did look out of sink, however, thats the Broncos D. That is easily a top 5 D this year. Don't forget either, the Broncos were also in the AFC championship game last year. Thats a darn good team.

That being said, when you play a good team you can't make mistakes like Spencers hold on our own 17 yard line, you can't line up over the center on a field goal(gives Broncos first down results a touchdown), Owens can't jump offsides on fourth and inches when you are at the 10 yard line going in for a score, you can't throw an INT, if your going out for a deep pass you should sprint, not jog (Moulds) and Finely if you are the highest payed player on the team and six foot plus, 220 lbs and you are thrown a ball where you are given the chance to make a play, you have to be able to out jump the smaller shorter guy(Johnson).

That just my take on the game. The D looked stellar. Go Ryan's. I once asked "Who the heck is this guy?" Now I know.
You are on point with your analysis. 6'-3" should not get out jumped by 5'-8". All in all I was very happy with our performance. You can't expect an offense that is just beginning to learn a system to beat a team that has run that system for over 11 years. Not going to happen. Also, let's not forget, for the first 25 mins of the game, neither team scored anything regardless how long Denver had the game and with the expection of a bad call (Take a look at the replay, he didn't line up over the noseguard) and a bad play (TE Rookie mistake), the score could have easily been 6-3 or 10-6 Texans. I also like Lundy's performance regardless of the fumble. That will happen occasionally.

Last edited by O.G.; 08-28-2006 at 08:09 AM.
O.G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2006   #11
Cjeremy635
Overtraining

Rep Power: 31248 Cjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEXANRED

That just my take on the game. The D looked stellar. Go Ryan's. I once asked "Who the heck is this guy?" Now I know

I echoed the same sentiments to myself last night. Good points and I agree with everything you said. Moulds should have kicked in another gear and Johnson has to learn to use his size advantage and be a more physical receiver. There is no way he should have let that little guy own him like that. Owens made a bad mistake that cost us dearly as well as other penalties from other players. Those are mistakes that can be corrected (hopefully) with preaching discipline.
Old 08-28-2006   #12
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 51302 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected

I just watched the replays on ESPN, and I think its fair to t he original poster that we received no media love. The replays were as follows:
Javon Walker's 3 catches.
Cutler's completions.
Tatum Bell's 1 yard run.

Thats it. No Texans D, no Texans O, no anything Texans. You wouldn't even realize it was us they wer eplaying against except they mentioned Kubiak was Shanny's protegee
gtexan02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2006   #13
texflex513
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtexan02
I just watched the replays on ESPN, and I think its fair to t he original poster that we received no media love. The replays were as follows:
Javon Walker's 3 catches.
Cutler's completions.
Tatum Bell's 1 yard run.

Thats it. No Texans D, no Texans O, no anything Texans. You wouldn't even realize it was us they wer eplaying against except they mentioned Kubiak was Shanny's protegee
I have seen this for years from BSpn they done the same thing to the bengals but now they are on the cincy sack....When we start winning watch how they put a spin on the texans being good...but how much better we would be if we had taken Beggie Rush....BSpn is a joke...
texflex513 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2006   #14
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10969 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by texflex513
I have seen this for years from BSpn they done the same thing to the bengals but now they are on the cincy sack....When we start winning watch how they put a spin on the texans being good...but how much better we would be if we had taken Beggie Rush....BSpn is a joke...
I agree.

I kind of figured us going against a team like Denver would bring us back to reality.

Of course Austin (Dallas South) didn't show the game so I didn't see. Based on what I read, I figure we did better than I expected considering Denver was one game from the SB and they know our offense. If you look at how both defenses performed it was pretty evident each knew each others plays.

The one thing I did want to see though was an effective David Carr because of all the above. I did not see that. I'm not worried but I did want see him do better to help in the confidence department.

Last nights game showed that Carr still has much to learn and I hope he can make that adjustment before Sept 10.

From what I hear there were some stalled drives due to penalties though.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2006   #15
Divebomb
Veteran

Dude do I really need to post the media links to prove my point. Anyone who had to listed to the Bronco Biased commentary by the NFL network, or Marshall (hasbeen) Faulk could have understood my assesment. The comments by Much were a bit different durring the post game but the guy gave no props to Kubiak, plus his pregame comments of Kubiak taking the Texans job made me laugh. Just because Much destroyed what was a good San Fran team, and then went to Detroit and choked like a chump, he has to slam Kubiak. News flash Much, you are in commentary because no owner in the world would want you as a coach. More proof that hasbeen commentary sucks.
Divebomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2006   #16
chuckm
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14 chuckm was voted MVPchuckm was voted MVPchuckm was voted MVPchuckm was voted MVP

Who cares? What have we done to deserve anything other than negative attention or outright apathy from the national media?

When we win consistently, they'll come ... proclaiming all the while that they knew it all along ...
Old 08-28-2006   #17
Roughnecks
Veteran

Rep Power: 90 Roughnecks is a quality contributor and well respectedRoughnecks is a quality contributor and well respectedRoughnecks is a quality contributor and well respectedRoughnecks is a quality contributor and well respectedRoughnecks is a quality contributor and well respectedRoughnecks is a quality contributor and well respectedRoughnecks is a quality contributor and well respectedRoughnecks is a quality contributor and well respectedRoughnecks is a quality contributor and well respectedRoughnecks is a quality contributor and well respectedRoughnecks is a quality contributor and well respected

It doesn't matter they do not cover houston sports period. Not the Texans,Rockets, or the Astros shoot look at lat year the Stros go the WS and all you here about is the Whitesox or what the Yankees and Redsox are going to do to get to the WS next year. Rockets as well we get Tracy no coverage and when we had the Oilers all the talk about is the Bills game. Hell when the Stros play on espn even if the game is sold out they black it out so do not expect them to show the Texans even if the win a Superbowl in our life time. Lets just stick with our website and the Texans Huddle on FSN.
Roughnecks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2006   #18
FILO_girl
I'm not here

Rep Power: 63 FILO_girl is a quality contributor and well respectedFILO_girl is a quality contributor and well respectedFILO_girl is a quality contributor and well respectedFILO_girl is a quality contributor and well respectedFILO_girl is a quality contributor and well respectedFILO_girl is a quality contributor and well respectedFILO_girl is a quality contributor and well respectedFILO_girl is a quality contributor and well respectedFILO_girl is a quality contributor and well respectedFILO_girl is a quality contributor and well respectedFILO_girl is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckm
Who cares? What have we done to deserve anything other than negative attention or outright apathy from the national media?

When we win consistently, they'll come ... proclaiming all the while that they knew it all along ...
So true, so true.

While we are playing on a clean slate, everyone else sees 2-14 and they will until that changes. There are many out there who think we don't even deserve to play in the arena league, let alone the NFL and alot of the spin from the media implies this too. We have gotten some love on getting Kubes, addressing the O line (a teeny little bit, but still some), and some great FA pickups. We will have to deal with all the freakos who can't fart an original idea and believe we are the saddest of the sad for passing on Saint Reggie. Let them think that, I just yell at the TV to get that frustration out. Its better than beating the dog (which ain't right in any situation, no hate mail from PETA, please).
FILO_girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2006   #19
Jwwillis
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roughnecks
It doesn't matter they do not cover houston sports period. Not the Texans,Rockets, or the Astros shoot look at lat year the Stros go the WS and all you here about is the Whitesox or what the Yankees and Redsox are going to do to get to the WS next year. Rockets as well we get Tracy no coverage and when we had the Oilers all the talk about is the Bills game. Hell when the Stros play on espn even if the game is sold out they black it out so do not expect them to show the Texans even if the win a Superbowl in our life time. Lets just stick with our website and the Texans Huddle on FSN.
My favorite was when Houston won its 1st NBA title and Sports Illustrated featured Patrick Ewing on the cover. They said the Houston market didn't warrent coverage.
Jwwillis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2006   #20
afcman
Veteran

All we have to do is WIN !!!!

ESPN is full of north-eastern libs who care more about baseball.
afcman is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read