Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 08-27-2006   #1
Divebomb
Veteran

Default Mario Williams, the right choice after all !!!!!

Well after viewing this Saturdays performance in the NFL, Mario must be looking even better to many of you previous non-believers. Vince looked much better but he still has problems with receivers actually catching the balls that hit them in the hands, and it would be a lot more fun to watch the guy if the coaches could be a little more creative with the play calling other than run up the middle twice and then passing the ball. I started getting Caper flashbacks (scary). Poor guy only had 6 completions out of 10 attempts (ONLY 10 ATTEMPTS WTF) for 96 yrds. Threw an interception. Note to Vince the next time you have to sit on the sideline while a team is putting together a 9:27 drive it might be smart to keep your arm warm so you can make that throw. Yea 9:27 min drive LOL, let me be the first to say we are taking both games against the Titans. Then you look at Reggie Bush. ESPN made it sound like the guy scored 13 tds and is a shoe in for ROY. ESPN, we are not blind, all we have to do is look at the play by play on NFL.com. 5 rushes 22 yards with a long of 14, so one 14 yard scamper (which is all over ESPN Highlight films lol) and 5 catches for 20 yards is deserving enough for mad props from ESPN?????????????. Bush looked great against the Titans but then again so did Cutler, and so did every player on the Falcons. Stats are a funny thing to look at. In the Falcons Titans game rookie Jerious Norwood had 9 carries for 104 yrds 1 TD with a long run of 62. I think the Texans are just fine without Reggie Bush. As for Mario we know what we get game in game out. This week we will get to see him go at it with the starters for 3 quarters so it should be interesting to see his progression. I think by far he is the best Rookie in this years crop. To come in with the team holding the worst record last year and actually be 2-0 going into the Denver game is awesome. Say what you want but we have been killing the run on Defense and a big factor of that success is coming from our Monster Super Freak O-Line Destroyer #90. Kubiak is bringing pride back into this city, what a heck of a Coach. Thanks Bob!
Divebomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2006   #2
phantom17
#1 Fan in RGV!

Rep Power: 1292 phantom17 is a quality contributor and well respectedphantom17 is a quality contributor and well respectedphantom17 is a quality contributor and well respectedphantom17 is a quality contributor and well respectedphantom17 is a quality contributor and well respectedphantom17 is a quality contributor and well respectedphantom17 is a quality contributor and well respectedphantom17 is a quality contributor and well respectedphantom17 is a quality contributor and well respectedphantom17 is a quality contributor and well respectedphantom17 is a quality contributor and well respected

I totally agree with ya, Mario is da man! I hope this will be a great new era for the Texans! I'm really lookin' forward to this season!
Old 08-27-2006   #3
Mysteryhunt
Veteran

im starting to believe that this draft year was one of those special ones that pushes a team into the playoff picture and possibly beyond. I mean name one bad pick we made. It's definitely not the norm to have all your picks pushing forstarting roles. I love this draft class and especially mario the beast.
Mysteryhunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2006   #4
Smash_Mouth_Mario
Veteran

Rep Power: 12 Smash_Mouth_Mario was voted MVPSmash_Mouth_Mario was voted MVPSmash_Mouth_Mario was voted MVPSmash_Mouth_Mario was voted MVP
Talking Texans' Williams seemingly unfazed by hype of being No. 1 pick

Texans' Williams seemingly unfazed by hype of being No. 1 pick
12:09:11 EDT Aug 25, 2006
Canadian Press: KRISTIE RIEKEN

http://www.cbc.ca/cp/football/060825/f082526.html

HOUSTON (AP) - Mario Williams recently was photographed in a nightclub sporting a glittering diamond and platinum grill.

Soon after, the Houston Texans' No. 1 draft pick was shocked when a reporter inquired about the pricey removable mouthpiece-like creation made popular by rappers.

"How did you know about that?" he practically shrieked.

He was just as surprised when reporters learned he had bought the $1.5 million US house of a former local university president who was fired for allegedly refurbishing it with school money. And he was clueless as to why people cared so much about the removal of the toenails on his big toes.

Almost four months after the draft, the defensive end still hasn't gotten used to his celebrity status and professes to pay it no mind - which could be a good thing. Put in the unenviable position of living up to seemingly unreachable expectations, Williams might fare better if he maintains his naivete and isn't affected by outside influences.

He's got the weight of a young franchise that flopped to new depths last season on his shoulders. There's also the angst of fans who chanted "overrated" when he was drafted, many of whom remain upset that the Texans didn't nab Reggie Bush or Houston favourite Vince Young with their precious pick.

But the Texans are sure they made the right decision.

"He's going to be a success. OK. Trust us on that one," Houston defensive coordinator Richard Smith said. "He's a very talented man."

Williams is big (six-foot-seven, 292 pounds), fast (4.73 40-yard dash) and strong (35 repetitions on the 225-pound bench press). The Texans are counting on him becoming the disruptive pass rusher they've never had. He's projected to start at right end in Houston's new 4-3 defence, but has played all over the line in the Texans' first two pre-season games.

Williams acknowledged being a little too excited in his 11-play pre-season debut. He calmed down for his second outing and deflected a pass to force a punt, had a tackle for a loss and drew the Rams into two penalties.

He's trying not to do too much.

"Whatever happens, happens," he said. "I'm not worried about having to go out there and get the quarterback down three times. I want to. That's what I'm supposed to do. But I can't beat up on myself and beat myself down thinking about that all the time. I've just got to relax and just let it come."

Williams was raised in rural North Carolina and held down a job at the local Subway sandwich shop in high school. Smith attributes the 21-year-old's maturity and character to his upbringing.

"I like that he doesn't let the outside pressure influence him," Smith said. "I think he creates enough pressure on himself because he's a very prideful man, and I think that's more important than what somebody's writing about you or what they're saying about you."

The Texans, who had the second-worst defence in the league last season, need an immediate impact from Williams after making him the first defensive end taken No. 1 overall since Courtney Brown in 2000.

Texans coach Gary Kubiak believes he's well on his way.

"He's adhering to everything I've expected him to do," Kubiak said. "He works. He doesn't say a whole lot. He does his job, busts his tail. He's made people better around him because people are paying a lot of attention to him."

Kubiak attributed Antwan Peek's two sacks against St. Louis to the work Williams was doing on the inside. "He was really tying some people up, pushing the pocket, so he's definitely had an effect," he said.

Left end Anthony Weaver, a six-year veteran in his first year in Houston, has been impressed with Williams' demeanour and skills.

"He's one of those guys that just has that want-to attitude," Weaver said. "A guy with his athletic ability and his work ethic is going to be a special player for a long time around here."

Smith said Williams isn't where he needs to be yet, but that he believes he will get there. The question is how long the Texans will have to wait.

"We don't know," Smith said. "Right now he's playing very, very well and we're just very excited that we're able to have him on this football team."

Williams said his toughest transition to the NFL has been adjusting to the athleticism of the players he competes against, as well as moving around the line.

"I'm still fresh right now. I haven't pulled the plug yet," he said. "I'm still out there just basically running through things, just trying to get the feel. So once I finally get my technique down and turn things up I can really start to go out there and try to disrupt those double teams."

Picking a defensive lineman first in the draft has been a hit-or-miss proposition. Brown had a successful rookie season in Cleveland, but hasn't lived up to his potential after struggling with injuries almost every year since. He's currently recovering from knee surgery in his second season in Denver.

At the other end of the spectrum is Bruce Smith, the No. 1 pick in 1985, who played for 19 seasons and holds the NFL sacks record with 200. He was The Associated Press defensive player of the year twice and an 11-time Pro Bowl selection.

Williams is about three inches taller and 15 pounds heavier than Brown. They were both heralded for their pass-rushing skills after similar success in college, where they broke school records for tackles for losses and sacks.

"You have to be prepared and ready to contribute right away," Brown said. "I'm sure he's in camp being thrown a lot at him and learning as much as he can. I think Mario will be able to deal with it."

Brown said the pressure on a rookie defensive lineman is the same as that of a skill player on offence.

"You are asked to execute every play, every drill, just like a quarterback or running back," he said. "If you don't, you have a breakdown on defence. The mentality of a first-round defensive player is learning the defence quickly. You have to learn and execute."

While fans expect Williams to be as flashy on the field as his mouth jewelry is off it, Kubiak will be satisfied if he helps last year's worst team win.

"I just want him to do his job and it will make everybody on this team better," Kubiak said.

And Williams is prepared to do just that.

"I'm not here to focus on what people say," he said. "I'm just here to play football and help the team out."

-

AP Sports Writer Arnie Stapleton in Denver contributed to this report.

Houston Texans Big Mistake - Ha ha! NOT!
Smash_Mouth_Mario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2006   #5
Smash_Mouth_Mario
Veteran

Rep Power: 12 Smash_Mouth_Mario was voted MVPSmash_Mouth_Mario was voted MVPSmash_Mouth_Mario was voted MVPSmash_Mouth_Mario was voted MVP
Lightbulb Babin, Buchanon, Spencer

Football 2006: Texans Spotlight
Web Posted: 08/26/2006 05:09 PM CDT, San Antonio Express-News
http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/f...le.b559c5.html

JASON BABIN
Defensive end
Babin has added about 25 pounds in his switch from outside linebacker in a 3-4 defense to defensive end in the 4-3. He claims he's much happier in this role, essentially the same one he starred in at Western Michigan, where he collected 30 sacks over his last two seasons. Babin and Antwan Peek are fighting for playing time at right end, but both should be on the field plenty in the Texans' eight-man defensive-line rotation. Babin was a first-round draft selection two years ago under Houston's old regime, and he's eager to show the new staff he is not as big a bust as he has appeared to date. Babin has six sacks over two seasons.

PHILLIP BUCHANON
Cornerback
Four years ago, the Oakland Raiders selected Buchanon in the NFL draft's first round, and it's pretty much been downhill since for the former Miami Hurricanes star. Before last season, the Texans traded second- and third-round selections for Buchanon, hoping he could provide another athletic corner to go with Dunta Robinson. He didn't. Buchanon routinely disappointed the Reliant Stadium crowd, and sometimes appeared to not even be trying to make the tackle, especially in one infamous play against the Steelers that many fans haven't forgotten. Under the new coaching staff, Buchanon has vowed that this year will be different, and he'll show he's worthy of his top-round selection in 2002. The Texans' response? We'll see.

CHARLES SPENCER
Offensive tackle
The talkative newcomer out of Pittsburgh says he hopes to become the NFL Rookie of the Year. The Texans are just hoping he can help cut down on the number of sacks of David Carr, who has served as a league punching bag over the last four seasons. Spencer is fighting veteran Seth Wand for the vital left tackle starting slot, which protects Carr's blindside. It's rare that a rookie would start in such a key role, but Houston doesn't have much choice. Its offensive line has long been a weakness with free agent and draft busts. But the Texans, especially Carr, are hoping Spencer, at 6-foot-4 and 350 pounds, is an answer for their ills.

- Brent Zwerneman

Old 08-27-2006   #6
edo783
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 4641 edo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respected

Good finds dude. Thanks for the post.

De Oppresso Liber
edo783 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2006   #7
edo783
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 4641 edo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respected

While I beleve Mario to have been the correct pick for us, it's still preseason and all these guys are rookies on what have been pretty lousy teams. I think we need to give them a couple of years before we slam or over praise any of them to much, Mario included. But, having said that, ESPNs constant puffing up of Bush irritates me to no end. They must think that they have the ability to change the reality of what happend because what they say vs what actually did happen, seems like an alternate univers thing.

De Oppresso Liber
edo783 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 08-27-2006   #8
texflex513
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Divebomb
Well after viewing this Saturdays performance in the NFL, Mario must be looking even better to many of you previous non-believers. Vince looked much better but he still has problems with receivers actually catching the balls that hit them in the hands, and it would be a lot more fun to watch the guy if the coaches could be a little more creative with the play calling other than run up the middle twice and then passing the ball. I started getting Caper flashbacks (scary). Poor guy only had 6 completions out of 10 attempts (ONLY 10 ATTEMPTS WTF) for 96 yrds. Threw an interception. Note to Vince the next time you have to sit on the sideline while a team is putting together a 9:27 drive it might be smart to keep your arm warm so you can make that throw. Yea 9:27 min drive LOL, let me be the first to say we are taking both games against the Titans. Then you look at Reggie Bush. ESPN made it sound like the guy scored 13 td’s and is a shoe in for ROY. ESPN, we are not blind, all we have to do is look at the play by play on NFL.com. 5 rushes 22 yards with a long of 14, so one 14 yard scamper (which is all over ESPN Highlight films lol) and 5 catches for 20 yards is deserving enough for mad props from ESPN?????????????. Bush looked great against the Titans but then again so did Cutler, and so did every player on the Falcons. Stats are a funny thing to look at. In the Falcons Titans game rookie Jerious Norwood had 9 carries for 104 yrds 1 TD with a long run of 62. I think the Texans are just fine without Reggie Bush. As for Mario we know what we get game in game out. This week we will get to see him go at it with the starters for 3 quarters so it should be interesting to see his progression. I think by far he is the best Rookie in this years crop. To come in with the team holding the worst record last year and actually be 2-0 going into the Denver game is awesome. Say what you want but we have been killing the run on Defense and a big factor of that success is coming from our Monster Super Freak O-Line Destroyer #90. Kubiak is bringing pride back into this city, what a heck of a Coach. Thanks Bob!
I had calmed down for a while but now im all hyped up again. I cant wait until sept 10th.
texflex513 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2006   #9
Smash_Mouth_Mario
Veteran

Smile

Gary Kubiak by the numbers
Web Posted: 08/26/2006 05:14 PM CDT
San Antonio Express-News

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/f...s.152d7e9.html

6,190 Passing yards during his career at St. Pius High in Houston

6 Touchdown passes thrown against Rice his junior season at Texas A&M

1982 Year he earned All-Southwest Conference honors at Texas A&M

8 Round in which he was selected in the 1983 NFL Draft

119 Games he played as John Elway's backup with the Broncos

14 Touchdown passes thrown in that span

3,970 Passing yards for Elway in Kubiak's first season as Denver's offensive coordinator

465 Touchdowns Broncos tallied in his 11 seasons as coordinator

Years the native Texan has spent in Denver

3 Sons he has whose first name starts with "K"

-Brent Zwerneman

Old 08-27-2006   #10
Jawja Texan
Rookie

How long will our starters play tonight? It is going to be so awesome to finally see a LIVE Texans preseason game over here in Georgia.
Jawja Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2006   #11
Smash_Mouth_Mario
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jawja Texan
How long will our starters play tonight? It is going to be so awesome to finally see a LIVE Texans preseason game over here in Georgia.
I think that most are going 3 quarters.

Old 08-27-2006   #12
Jawja Texan
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash_Mouth_Mario
I think that most are going 3 quarters.
Thanks. I was hoping that they would go most of the game. I am so freakin' excited!!!!!!!!!

Jawja Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2006   #13
AUSTexan
Rookie

Quote:
I'm with ya' on that one! This will be the only live Texans game I get to see all season in Boston... except the late december deep freeze I'm trying to get tickets for up here.

Then again, I might set up the DirecTV just to run the Sunday Ticket down into my media room... Wife might issue a veto though...
AUSTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2006   #14
Malloy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 10235 Malloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by edo783
They must think that they have the ability to change the reality of what happend because what they say vs what actually did happen, seems like an alternate univers thing.
In the news-world of today, stuff being repeated usually ends up being concieved as being true, even though that is not the case.

95% of the stuff that comes out from ESPN is worthless...
Old 08-27-2006   #15
Smash_Mouth_Mario
Veteran

Quote:
Thanks. I was hoping that they would go most of the game. I am so freakin' excited!!!!!!!!!
Yep. I think, at least for today, it's safe to say that your average Texans fan looks like this --->

Old 08-27-2006   #16
South Texan
Veteran

Rep Power: 10 South Texan is on the Pro-Bowl ballotSouth Texan is on the Pro-Bowl ballot

Preseason games 3:

Reggie Bush, 10 touches for 44 yards and 1 fumble.
Vince Young, 6/10 for 96 yards and 1 int, 2 rushes for 14 yards.

While I don't doubt either of these two will get better, my faith in Kubiack's and the Front Office's decision making process took another huge jump. Early on, it sure doesn't appear Reggie or Vince would have been the miracle to turn things around from last season. Initially I was on the Reggie bandwagon, but now with my great 20/20 hindsight, I think I understand Kubiack's foresight. Don't draft talent for the sake of talent... draft to fill your greatest needs.
South Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2006   #17
Tx'nFanLostInSkinCountry
Veteran

I also was a RB fan pre-draft, now I'm soooooo glad our coaches had the BRASS ones to see pass the ESPN hype machine. Guess thats why thay get the BIG BUCKS and I dont. IMO Bush is still going to be a good football player for a special teams unit or out in space coming out of the backfield but he will never be a 20+ carry per game back.JMO Hey is it me or have the NO/Tack fans stoped coming over to our MB.
Tx'nFanLostInSkinCountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2006   #18
Txn_in_Oki
Lucky 13

Rep Power: 26824 Txn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
"I'm still fresh right now. I haven't pulled the plug yet," he said. "I'm still out there just basically running through things, just trying to get the feel. So once I finally get my technique down and turn things up I can really start to go out there and try to disrupt those double teams."
There was a previous thread on here with someone asking if Mario was maybe being held back. My thoughts on that were "Why not" he has no need to go all out, and what he could be doing is working on tightening things up for the regular season rather than impressing everyone in a couple preseason games that don't mean a thing.

Can't wait for the season to start and see him just blow the roof off.
Old 08-27-2006   #19
Smash_Mouth_Mario
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by South Texan
Initially I was on the Reggie bandwagon, but now with my great 20/20 hindsight, I think I understand Kubiack's foresight. Don't draft talent for the sake of talent... draft to fill your greatest needs.
LOL!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tx'nFanLostInSkinCountry
Hey is it me or have the NO/Tack fans stoped coming over to our MB.
They are starting to realize that Bush is not the Messiah -- but rather a very quick specialty TB.

Last edited by Smash_Mouth_Mario; 08-27-2006 at 09:21 AM.
Old 08-27-2006   #20
WildBlackBear32
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUSTexan
I'm with ya' on that one! This will be the only live Texans game I get to see all season in Boston... except the late december deep freeze I'm trying to get tickets for up here.

What channel is it going to be on? I got the Emmys on NBC, so I'm pretty much lost.
WildBlackBear32 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read