Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 08-25-2006   #1
TexanSam
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 29759 TexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Who is the starting RB on Sunday?

Has Kubiak said? I figure it would be Morency because of his performance last week, but Lundy hasn't exactly been a scrub.
TexanSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2006   #2
texflex513
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexanSam
Has Kubiak said? I figure it would be Morency because of his performance last week, but Lundy hasn't exactly been a scrub.
I think the edge goes to morency because of blitz pickup... They both seem to be even as far as how good they have ran the ball.. I think maybe lundy will get the start and morency will follow shortly thereafter.
texflex513 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2006   #3
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Kubiak said that Morency and Lundy will split carries just like they will on opening day. Go to the front page and it's in todays practice notes and stuff

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2006   #4
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Does anyone else feel uneasy about this game?

I mean, it's like Kubiak is facing his dad or something. I had a dream last night that we got drilled 102-3 and Shanahan was laughing and pointing his finger at Kubiak, "YOU'LL NEVER BE AS GOOD AS ME! NEVER!!!!!!!! ha-ha-ha!"

Our guys were crying. Kubiak ran off the field and caught a cab to Kyle Field where he hid out in the maintenance room of the stadium. A janitor found him the next day, and Kubiak changed his name to Bob Lumpkus so he could be a littl-known and almost anonymous special teams coach for the Aggies. Slowly pieced his life back together and then re-appeared at Reliant a few months later to thunderous applause by the fans. Disney Films inked a deal to do a movie about it, starring Kevin Bacon with a bad flat-top haircut as Gary Kubiak.

Sorry........I need to get some sleep.
Old 08-25-2006   #5
texflex513
All Pro

Has Chris Taylor fallin out of the mix i had heard so much about him in training camp... Whats the scoop? I hope he makes the team.
Old 08-25-2006   #6
texflex513
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpshafer_1976

I mean, it's like Kubiak is facing his dad or something. I had a dream last night that we got drilled 102-3 and Shanahan was laughing and pointing his finger at Kubiak, "YOU'LL NEVER BE AS GOOD AS ME! NEVER!!!!!!!! ha-ha-ha!"

Our guys were crying. Kubiak ran off the field and caught a cab to Kyle Field where he hid out in the maintenance room of the stadium. A janitor found him the next day, and Kubiak changed his name to Bob Lumpkus so he could be a littl-known and almost anonymous special teams coach for the Aggies. Slowly pieced his life back together and then re-appeared at Reliant a few months later to thunderous applause by the fans. Disney Films inked a deal to do a movie about it, starring Kevin Bacon with a bad flat-top haircut as Gary Kubiak.

Need something to help you sleep five punch combo?? tiger uppercut?? shoryuken??
Old 08-26-2006   #7
BlueThunder
Veteran

Morancy is fighting for a roster spot right now. I wouldn't play him more then 10 carries a game because of his size but theres going to be a few good runners let go soon.I really think Morancy (C.Taylor or A.Smith) W.Lundy.Then we could always carry a few backs on roster exemptions.We still have D.Davis in the picture somewhere.

Wali Lundy I think should start and have atleast 10 carries in a roll then the #2 TB should get 10 straight .Then rotate them both thru the 3rd 1/4..Winner gets the #1 starting spot.Thats how I would do it.Morancy I just don;'t see as an every down back.If you plan to use him as a roll player all year to expand the play book then he may develope and stay fresh all season.

From the looks of it Wali Lundy has earned the starting spot for this game!

Last edited by BlueThunder; 08-26-2006 at 06:28 AM.
BlueThunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 08-26-2006   #8
TheOgre
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17 TheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueThunder
From the looks of it Wali Lundy has earned the starting spot for this game!
You must be watching different footage than me. Lundy is a huge liability on passing downs. Morency will be the starter on opening day if Davis isn't ready to go.
Old 08-26-2006   #9
Hulk75
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 428 Hulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOgre
You must be watching different footage than me. Lundy is a huge liability on passing downs. Morency will be the starter on opening day if Davis isn't ready to go.
Lets not start labeling him and such, maybe he just needs work on his pass blocking skills.

I think Lundy does get the start. But they will share time.
Hulk75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2006   #10
Malloy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 13071 Malloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpshafer_1976

GP I hate you, now I have to clean up all the coffee I spat out all over the table, keyboard AND screen!!
Old 08-26-2006   #11
bigTEXan8
All Pro

Default ...

First off...that was solid gp.

OK...secondly, I really hate living in CA because I never get to see any of the Texans games. Too poor to afford NFL Sunday Ticket. I keep hearing about Lundy, but I remember Morency being such a stand-up stud towards the end of last year when DD was hurt. I think Morency will start, but it will be a real even split between him and Lundy.
Old 08-26-2006   #12
TexanSam
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 29759 TexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueThunder
Morancy is fighting for a roster spot right now. I wouldn't play him more then 10 carries a game because of his size but theres going to be a few good runners let go soon.I really think Morancy (C.Taylor or A.Smith) W.Lundy.Then we could always carry a few backs on roster exemptions.We still have D.Davis in the picture somewhere.
I think Morency is almost a guarantee to make the team. I believe he'll be the main man with Lundy as his backup. Just because he's small (5'9") doesn't mean he can't carry the load. Unless you mean only 10 carries on Sunday. Then there I agree with you.
TexanSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2006   #13
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexanSam
I think Morency is almost a guarantee to make the team. I believe he'll be the main man with Lundy as his backup. Just because he's small (5'9") doesn't mean he can't carry the load. Unless you mean only 10 carries on Sunday. Then there I agree with you.
He's more short than small...he is about the same size as ex-Bronco great Terrell Davis.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2006   #14
TK_Gamer
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 13 TK_Gamer was voted MVPTK_Gamer was voted MVPTK_Gamer was voted MVPTK_Gamer was voted MVP

yeah I dont get the size remark at all, since when did size matter to a RB? 75% of all RB's are under 5' 11" so you mean to tell me that 1 or 2 inches in height should decide the starter? they arent widereceivers or tightends. they dont have to win jumpballs on pass plays, they primarily run underneath routes in passing downs where hieght doesnt matter. and there size when running actually makes them harder to tackle. now if yer not tough enough thats a whole nother story. but I think morency and lundy are both tough.
I think Morency is slightly ahead of lundy in the race. he's faster, he catches better, and he blocks better. Lundy hits the holes quicker. I think kubiak prolly told Lundy his blocking needs to improve and will give him plenty of snaps to show how he's done. I think morency will start since carr dint get many snaps last week with morency in there. then they give lundy the bulk of the 2nd half with some time to the others.
Old 08-26-2006   #15
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOgre
Agreed: I dunno where the anti Morency stuff got started. Maybe it's the function of the DC hate thing. I don't know. No one has given the guy his due yet. Just becuse he was a third round pick doesn't meen he can't be a great back in this system. He was a good back behind an inferior line at OSU. You can look up his numbers if you want. He's a hardnosed guy who deserves his shot. The game footage I've seen so far leads me to believe that Morency...for a fact..can block on a blitz pick up. He is more than just a functional RB. You may want to stow the VM is on the bubble talk. I'm all for pulling for the rooks and all. But in this case...VM, unless he gets hurt Sunday, is your day one starter.
I dunno and I'm not in the loop, but my hunch is, they're not going to have to worry about DD untill mid October. That's what I'm reading between the lines about the knee.
threetoedpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2006   #16
TK_Gamer
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 13 TK_Gamer was voted MVPTK_Gamer was voted MVPTK_Gamer was voted MVPTK_Gamer was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by threetoedpete
Agreed: I dunno where the anti Morency stuff got started. Maybe it's the function of the DC hate thing. I don't know. No one has given the guy his due yet. Just becuse he was a third round pick doesn't meen he can't be a great back in this system. He was a good back behind an inferior line at OSU. You can look up his numbers if you want. He's a hardnosed guy who deserves his shot. The game footage I've seen so far leads me to believe that Morency...for a fact..can block on a blitz pick up. He is more than just a functional RB. You may want to stow the VM is on the bubble talk. I'm all for pulling for the rooks and all. But in this case...VM, unless he gets hurt Sunday, is your day one starter.
I dunno and I'm not in the loop, but my hunch is, they're not going to have to worry about DD untill mid October. That's what I'm reading between the lines about the knee.
I dont know about anyone else, but my reading between the lines on DD doesnt paint a pretty picture. I think the doc released DD but DD did not release himself. I think he's thinking long term and doesnt wanna throw his career away comming back before he's truly 100 % . The problem is as I see it, he may never be the 100 % he's hoping for and he needs to learn to play with some pain and then deal with the swelling. wich means he would never be a true starter, but rather share the starting spot with say morency when he has to sit out a game for swelling reasons. sometimes injuries heal but the pain and swelling doesnt just go away.
Old 08-26-2006   #17
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by texflex513
Has Chris Taylor fallin out of the mix i had heard so much about him in training camp... Whats the scoop? I hope he makes the team.
Lundy, Taylor and even Rhodes are very tallented rookies with high cellings.
But the key word in all of that is rookies. There's not a high learning curve at RB. But it's there. You want to go thourgh a couple of QBs the first month of the season, stick a rookie in there who isn't sure of what he's doing. Lawernce Phillips got Steve Young. NFL coach is gong to see the big picture and error on the side of caution. You're going to see the rooks. They'll get their reps. But wouldn't surpise me, unless there's an injury, Coach K dosen't ease them into it the first three games. Also wouldn't surprise me if Lundy (or Taylor) dosen't pass VM by the bye. They are very explosive, no doubt. It's a good thing. We're covered at RB, with or without DD.
threetoedpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2006   #18
kapman
Rookie

Default I am in shock

Let me preface this remark by saying that I am a Vernand Morency fan...

However, a reliable source tells me that his roster spot is in serious peril. It seems that this coaching staff believes that they can get any back to fit into their system.

Wali Lundy will be the starter on tomorrow night and opening day. Expect that Antwain Smith and Vernand Morency to be put on waivers. DD will be placed on either IR or PUP and Chris Taylor, if he doesnt get put on the practice squad (which I doubt seriously) will be on the roster along with a RB added via another team.

I am forced to agree that each coach deserves to own his philosophy about his team but I think the potential downfall to Kubiak is the believe that players ought to fit his system as opposed to crafting his system to fit his players.

My understanding is that Morency will play with the 2nd team and be showcased next week. This is a business and the business side of the Texans right now is represented in two distinct ways...purging the team of Casserly's moves and finding Kubiak's kind of players for the future.

It is felt by Morency's age and his contract (he is only there for one more year on his rookie contract) that he is not the future of the Texans.

I would love to be wrong, as I stated, I am probably the biggest Morency fan around however, my source is extremely reliable.
kapman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2006   #19
RiotCommander
All Pro

Send a message via ICQ to RiotCommander Send a message via AIM to RiotCommander

Quote:
Originally Posted by kapman

However, a reliable source tells me that his roster spot is in serious peril. It seems that this coaching staff believes that they can get any back to fit into their system.

Wali Lundy will be the starter on tomorrow night and opening day. Expect that Antwain Smith and Vernand Morency to be put on waivers. DD will be placed on either IR or PUP and Chris Taylor, if he doesnt get put on the practice squad (which I doubt seriously) will be on the roster along with a RB added via another team.

I am forced to agree that each coach deserves to own his philosophy about his team but I think the potential downfall to Kubiak is the believe that players ought to fit his system as opposed to crafting his system to fit his players.

My understanding is that Morency will play with the 2nd team and be showcased next week. This is a business and the business side of the Texans right now is represented in two distinct ways...purging the team of Casserly's moves and finding Kubiak's kind of players for the future.

It is felt by Morency's age and his contract (he is only there for one more year on his rookie contract) that he is not the future of the Texans.

I would love to be wrong, as I stated, I am probably the biggest Morency fan around however, my source is extremely reliable.

I hope we can trade him for something if we do deal him. Also I hope Lundy is able to pick up blocks or we are making a mistake dealing Morency.
RiotCommander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2006   #20
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 105876 Marcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by kapman

I can see DD going on PUP list, but the Morency thing surprises me. But, if indeed Morency does play with the 2nd team in Denver, and plays a lot next week like you say, well . . .

Kubiak And Smith must have their eye on some RBs they think aren't going to make their squads. We'll see.
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read