Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 08-25-2006   #1
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 100421 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Do you think we can afford Branch?

Branch has been given one week to seek a trade. What do ya'll think our chances are? Slim to none? Is he worth the headache? Not to dis Walters, but that would be a darn good WR corp. Comments?

http://www.nfl.com/teams/story/NE/9619678
Old 08-25-2006   #2
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 35068 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected

Until we see our passing game able to go through a progression where the #3gets a consistent look we should pass on investing any more dollars into WR.
Old 08-25-2006   #3
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 100421 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaiser Toro
Until we see our passing game able to go through a progression where the #3gets a consistent look we should pass on investing any more dollars into WR.
True, true. It just sounds so good though. They did say we were looking for another WR too. He might be wanting a little more than what we're willing to part with. Who knows?
Old 08-25-2006   #4
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 35068 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX
True, true. It just sounds so good though. They did say we were looking for another WR too. He might be wanting a little more than what we're willing to part with. Who knows?
I am really poo pooing on the price it would cost for that caliber of guy rather than wanting his obvious talent. If we already were a winning organization we might be able to get a sweetheart deal.
Old 08-25-2006   #5
TexanSam
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 29758 TexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't think he'd want to be a #3 WR here. I'd love to have him, but I don't see it happening.
TexanSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2006   #6
Bearfan Blue and Orange
Veteran

Quote:
This I agree with also. The one thing that is different with Walter is you have a YOUNG WR that plays 125% every time he is out there. He does not have this ME attitude and even though I am sure he would love to get to #2 some day, he is continuing to absorb from the veterans he lines up with and against and when you put him in there, he WILL perform.

On the other hand you could bring in a guy with a different attitude and start complaining to Carr a few games in about not getting the ball more. and then upsetting the continuity of the Offense.
Bearfan Blue and Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2006   #7
AFD1717
Veteran

We need to throw dollars at CB and LB before we start fixing things that aren't broken, even though I like Branch.
Old 08-25-2006   #8
Titan "Tack" Fan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 44 Titan "Tack" Fan is a quality contributor and well respectedTitan "Tack" Fan is a quality contributor and well respectedTitan "Tack" Fan is a quality contributor and well respectedTitan "Tack" Fan is a quality contributor and well respectedTitan "Tack" Fan is a quality contributor and well respectedTitan "Tack" Fan is a quality contributor and well respectedTitan "Tack" Fan is a quality contributor and well respectedTitan "Tack" Fan is a quality contributor and well respectedTitan "Tack" Fan is a quality contributor and well respectedTitan "Tack" Fan is a quality contributor and well respectedTitan "Tack" Fan is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't think they will trade him. If they do they're dumb.
Old 08-25-2006   #9
Mysteryhunt
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFD1717
We need to throw dollars at CB and LB before we start fixing things that aren't broken, even though I like Branch.
QFT
Mysteryhunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2006   #10
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Branch has been given one week to seek a trade. What do ya'll think our chances are? Slim to none? Is he worth the headache? Not to dis Walters, but that would be a darn good WR corp. Comments?

We've got two solid WRs, and we have a pretty good TE squad.

No need to bring in a guy who wants #1 money. It'd be too many high profile WRs and only one football to throw each play.
Old 08-25-2006   #11
HomeBred_Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 12 HomeBred_Texan is a Pro BowlerHomeBred_Texan is a Pro Bowler

None, Slim just left town....
Old 08-25-2006   #12
hollywood_texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1649 hollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

This thread has some great quotes, the best I can remember in one single thread. I am surprised at some of the people I am agreeing with.

This is really good stuff and want to give some props.

All of these guys hit the nail on the head from different angles. There are others, but this is what I picked:

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFD1717
Quote:
Originally Posted by Titan "Tack" Fan
I don't think they will trade him. If they do they're dumb.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpshafer_1976
We've got two solid WRs, and we have a pretty good TE squad.

No need to bring in a guy who wants #1 money. It'd be too many high profile WRs and only one football to throw each play.
I think spending money on DBs may be more appropriate at this time if we are going to get a quality vet.

Or, let's leave some cap space for next year. We are going to need it!
hollywood_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2006   #13
TexanSam
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 29758 TexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollywood_texan
I think spending money on DBs may be more appropriate at this time if we are going to get a quality vet.

Save money for whever we sign once players are cut to make the 53 man rosters. I'm sure the Texans will pick up at least one DB and maybe a LB.
Old 08-25-2006   #14
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollywood_texan

Eggs-actly. We have plenty of dead cap space next year and this is year one the Kubiak Era.
Old 08-25-2006   #15
K.D.
Veteran

I think all of you guys had great quotes, I'm to saying let's spend our money more in a needed area. The patriots are doing this to see what and how many players they could get in return. They casted the line and bait, and just seeing if any team would snatch on the hook.
K.D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2006   #16
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

McCleon was HURTING Rams players left and right: Curtis got smacked, and had to stay on the ground to catch his breath. He ran Holt's shoulder into the ground (perhaps Holt landed on the ball as the announcers opined), and Holt went to the sidleine unbuckling his chin strap and waving for a replacement to come in. IIRC, he came flying around the end of the line and smacked the QB pretty good.

I have been pleased with McCleon. McCleon, IMO, is proving to be a guy who wants everyone to know he's not done yet. He and Dunta could easily be a great CB tandem with Buchanon playing a role where he roams the field like a Troy Polamalu and takes chances by breaking on passes or rushing the QB or RB as he sees fit. I always felt that Buchanon was out of place by being singled up on a WR, I think he plays better when he can just pin his ears back and try to make a play each time...and you cannot always do that at CB, you've got to make a quick decision (on a dime) and think "Do I go for the interception, or do I just hold the WR to a catch and no Yards after Contact?" Dunta has that ability to make the most prudent decision based on what his instincts tell him. Buchanon, on the other hand, looks to me as if he's wanting to be a playmaker on every play...and hey, let him try to do it for ThreeToedPete's sake.

If we pick up another solid CB, LB, and RB, I will be happy. There's a distinct possibility that we look at a D Lineman, but I am failry satisfied with what we have now. Guess it comes down to who gets cut from other teams, too.
Old 08-25-2006   #17
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 194858 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:

We've already got two ProBowlers, and a slew(I doubt that's how you spell it) of young speedy recievers........ and you still want Branch??

You seem to be star struck..... I'm starting to wonder about you.
Old 08-25-2006   #18
TexanSam
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpshafer_1976
McCleon was HURTING Rams players left and right: Curtis got smacked, and had to stay on the ground to catch his breath. He ran Holt's shoulder into the ground (perhaps Holt landed on the ball as the announcers opined), and Holt went to the sidleine unbuckling his chin strap and waving for a replacement to come in. IIRC, he came flying around the end of the line and smacked the QB pretty good.
It also looked like he wasn't getting good coverage on recievers. Had that been a regular season game, Bulger would have torched us. He may be physical, but I hope he's a good cover corner also. But this is what preseason is for. He signed late with us and may become a good corner for us. I would still like more depth there though.
Old 08-25-2006   #19
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 194858 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by K.D.
I think all of you guys had great quotes, I'm to saying let's spend our money more in a needed area. The patriots are doing this to see what and how many players they could get in return. They casted the line and bait, and just seeing if any team would snatch on the hook.
They don't want to pay him........

Branch thinks he's all that...... & he might be.... I don't know..... But he wants a bigger better contract....

They are letting him test the market to see if what they are offering him is fair..
Old 08-25-2006   #20
GP 
Go Texans!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexanSam
It also looked like he wasn't getting good coverage on recievers. Had that been a regular season game, Bulger would have torched us. He may be physical, but I hope he's a good cover corner also. But this is what preseason is for. He signed late with us and may become a good corner for us. I would still like more depth there though.
In our CBs' defense: They were still trying to play the run, and after getting thrown on for 9 consecutive passes, you can visibly see our CBs gradually inching up toward the WRs before the snap. It took way too long for the adjustment, but we did begin to lock down after those first nine passes.

You could see the body language after the eighth consecutive pass, our guys were like "Oh, OK. I see how it is. Let's roll then." And we stopped them on that series and forced a FG. The coverage got tighter, and the pressure also helped to make Bulger throw high or wide on those last few pass plays leading up to the FG.

I think the CB squad is beginning to gel a little. Don't get me wrong, it ain;t where it ought to be. But it's better than I thought it would be when we acquired a savvy vet in McCleon who I really didn't think could do much of anything. Well, he was laying the hammer down on those guys. That's for sure.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read