Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 08-24-2006   #1
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 72471 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Kubiak Quotes

Here are some highlights:

Duh!
Quote:
(on whether this Sunday’s game will have a large impact on the roster cuts) “Well, yeah. Everything we have done this far will factor into that. Sunday night we need to take a hard look at some of these young guys because we have a group of cuts to make on Monday, or actually Tuesday, and then we have the majority that come in the next week. So there is a lot of activity in this league over the next week and a half.”
There have been threads on this. How many TEs?
Quote:
(on whether he feels like the tight end cuts might come down to the last preseason game)“Well, yeah. I have been on team where we kept three. I have been on teams where we kept four. I have seen five guys kept before if one of them was a snapper. There are tough decisions to make there. We have five right now because Patrick Hape, that is where he is working, at tight end. You just keep going because those things seem to work themselves out. It’s not time to make those decisions and lock yourself in now. What happens if something happens this weekend, someone gets nicked? I hope we have that problem in two weeks.”
Quote:
(on whether he would be ready to make off of his cuts after Denver ) “I think we’ll have a pretty good idea after Sunday, but I still think there are going to be two or three spots where we’re going to go into the Tampa game and say, ‘You two guys are going to split the time and we’re going see.’ That could very well happen, but whether it does, I won’t know until then.”

http://www.houstontexans.com/news/de...0Latest%20News
Old 08-24-2006   #2
J-Man
Veteran

The upcoming cuts will be pretty interesting to watch across the board. In that article he mentions finalizing the teams cuts 24hrs early to prep for the league deadline since the Texans are first on the waiver wire.

You can usually find a few quality guys for depth or special teams that way if your sharp and your needs line up right.

As for the TE and RB battle the biggest thing I could say is that it's nice to have some solid depth at those spots for a change to actually have a battle over.
RB cut between is probably a toss-up.

The TE break down is interesting since Putzier, Daniels, and Hape have been doing very well. Bruenor is still the best blocking TE in the league and Joppru is doing everything but painting the lines on the field and putting out the cones to make the squad. That's going to be a tough place to find the cut I believe. That being said I think that Joppru and Hape are most likely to be axed. Depending on how many slots Coach Kubes wants to hang onto they both could very well make it and it wouldn't hurt my feelings.

Eat 'em Up, KATS!
J-Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2006   #3
BigDTexansFan
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Man
The upcoming cuts will be pretty interesting to watch across the board. In that article he mentions finalizing the teams cuts 24hrs early to prep for the league deadline since the Texans are first on the waiver wire.

You can usually find a few quality guys for depth or special teams that way if your sharp and your needs line up right.

As for the TE and RB battle the biggest thing I could say is that it's nice to have some solid depth at those spots for a change to actually have a battle over.
RB cut between is probably a toss-up.

The TE break down is interesting since Putzier, Daniels, and Hape have been doing very well. Bruenor is still the best blocking TE in the league and Joppru is doing everything but painting the lines on the field and putting out the cones to make the squad. That's going to be a tough place to find the cut I believe. That being said I think that Joppru and Hape are most likely to be axed. Depending on how many slots Coach Kubes wants to hang onto they both could very well make it and it wouldn't hurt my feelings.
I see them keeping 3 of them......Putzier, Joppru, Daniels, Bruener is not going to fit in TE catches pass, Hape will end up on the practice squad.
Old 08-24-2006   #4
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 412969 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDTexansFan
Bruener is not going to fit in TE catches pass
People keep on dismissing Bruener--you are going to be surprised I guess when he makes the team. He is still an elite blocker for a TE and the Broncos have traditionally had a blocker as well as a hands guy.
Old 08-24-2006   #5
SESupergenius

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak
People keep on dismissing Bruener--you are going to be surprised I guess when he makes the team. He is still an elite blocker for a TE and the Broncos have traditionally had a blocker as well as a hands guy.
You are spot on there. A quasi linemen/TE is usually the M.O. for Denver and Bruener fits that to a "T". There are however other factors such as age and whether or not untest guys like Joppru can move their blockers. I'd love to see a complete half of Joppru to see where he's at in his game with this offense.
Old 08-24-2006   #6
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 72471 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected

I think they keep 4 - Putzier, Bruener, Daniels, Joppru.
Old 08-24-2006   #7
Divebomb
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runner
I agree with you bud! Joppru can fill in as a FB as well. I noticed last week on one play that Joppru, Daniels, and Putzier were all on the field at the same time. Did anyone else see that play? maybe I am wrong but I remeber seing this and saying to myself, "Kubiak scheme is out-there man, effective but out-there"
Divebomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 08-24-2006   #8
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 322585 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Divebomb
I agree with you bud! Joppru can fill in as a FB as well. I noticed last week on one play that Joppru, Daniels, and Putzier were all on the field at the same time. Did anyone else see that play? maybe I am wrong but I remeber seing this and saying to myself, "Kubiak scheme is out-there man, effective but out-there"

Joppru looked pretty bad as a fullback....... Kubiak would have to believe he can make it work, if Jo is going to stay on this team.

I knew it as early as the first day of OTAs........ we are going to have to cut some pretty good players..... and we are all going to be upset over more than just a couple of cuts we'll make before it's all over and done with.
Old 08-24-2006   #9
Number19
All Pro

Rep Power: 31527 Number19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I see them keeping 3 of them......Putzier, Joppru, Daniels, Bruener is not going to fit in TE catches pass, Hape will end up on the practice squad.
Hape is a ten year veteran and is not elgible for the practice squad.
Number19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2006   #10
vtech9
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 16 vtech9 was voted MVPvtech9 was voted MVPvtech9 was voted MVPvtech9 was voted MVPvtech9 was voted MVP
Send a message via Yahoo to vtech9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number19
Hape is a ten year veteran and is not elgible for the practice squad.
I was about to say the same thing. One guy that might be a fit for the practice squad is Bennie. Since he has been hurt, he hasn't actually accrued a season yet. If there are other rules that would prevent him from being placed on the practice squad, I'm not familiar with them.
vtech9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2006   #11
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

I think we need Joppru's speed and hands on the field, not the practice squad. We'll soon find out - cut down days are approaching.
Old 08-25-2006   #12
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 222017 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Bruener's hands arent really in question , he can catch the ball . For most of his career he has been in offenses that dont require the TE to do much other than block . Its easy for a player to be painted into a corner by fans based upon how coaches use them or the scheme they are in as well as the way the media ..... Pittsburgh didnt throw to the TE much and neither did the Texans under Dom .... He may not have the same speed as some of the other TE's on the roster but his hands are reliable .... I for one would hate to see Bruener cut , his experience is invaluable . Keeping 4 TE's wouldnt be out of the question .

I Miss Good Schaub.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2006   #13
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 322585 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by corrosion
Bruener's hands arent really in question , he can catch the ball . For most of his career he has been in offenses that dont require the TE to do much other than block . Its easy for a player to be painted into a corner by fans based upon how coaches use them or the scheme they are in as well as the way the media ..... Pittsburgh didnt throw to the TE much and neither did the Texans under Dom .... He may not have the same speed as some of the other TE's on the roster but his hands are reliable .... I for one would hate to see Bruener cut , his experience is invaluable . Keeping 4 TE's wouldnt be out of the question .
Good point, it's not his hands that are in question, it's his ability to stretch the field.......

He's a proven gamer for us..... makes no sense to cut him, unless we know we've got a suitable replacement....... right now, we know we have some tightends that practice well..... none of them have had to try to block freeny, or any elite NFL pass rusher yet.....

Bruener ain't going anywhere.
Old 08-25-2006   #14
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 168015 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runner
I agree with you as well. To me Putz and Bruener are a given. Daniels has looked really good to me and appears to be following in the footsteps of Putz. Possibly even better if he hones his blocking skills a little more. I want to see Jop make the team because he's obviously a fighter. I think it would be hard to cut someone with that much heart. I haven't seen or noticed Hape.
Old 08-25-2006   #15
Number19
All Pro

Rep Power: 31527 Number19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respected

It's just semantics, but the Texans will keep three TE's - Bruener, Putzier and Daniels. Bennie will make the team as an H-back and will line up, at times, in the FB position. From here, he can motion into a two TE set, or can set up wider. We've seen this several times in the first two pre-season games.
Number19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2006   #16
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 168015 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number19
It's just semantics, but the Texans will keep three TE's - Bruener, Putzier and Daniels. Bennie will make the team as an H-back and will line up, at times, in the FB position. From here, he can motion into a two TE set, or can set up wider. We've seen this several times in the first two pre-season games.
Sounds good to me. I'd still like Jop to bulk up a little more. Maybe 15-20 pounds.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read