Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 08-24-2006   #1
Crazyhorse
Rookie

Default Eric Winston to the left Side

I find it hard to believe that the coaches are just now thinking about looking at Eric Winston at left tackle. This is a kid who has played the position for three years and was voted by the defensive co-ordinators in the ACC the best left tackle in the League.(ahead of Debrickshaw Ferguson),
I think Charles Spencer has great up side and will be an exccellent player but to my knowledge he has never played the left side before. So putting Winston there should be a no brainer!!!!!!!
Crazyhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2006   #2
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 75757 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazyhorse
I find it hard to believe that the coaches are just now thinking about looking at Eric Winston at left tackle. This is a kid who has played the position for three years and was voted by the defensive co-ordinators in the ACC the best left tackle in the League.(ahead of Debrickshaw Ferguson),
I think Charles Spencer has great up side and will be an exccellent player but to my knowledge he has never played the left side before. So putting Winston there should be a no brainer!!!!!!!

Ummm.....that was college:brickwall
Old 08-24-2006   #3
TEXANRED
Texan-American

Rep Power: 32564 TEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX
Ummm.....that was college:brickwall
Every one is from college at some point.

Unless your Invincible.

I think the point was he played left tackle, is a left tackle. Spencer was a guard wasn't he?

Of course Pitts was a tackle and is now guard so who knows.

TEXANRED is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2006   #4
Crazyhorse
Rookie

Isn't that where all our players get their initial experience?????Or start as the case may be.....
Crazyhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2006   #5
Texans Horror
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 25 Texans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of Famer

Quote:
I suspect Winston is being considered LT mainly for the last preseason game, when Spencer and Wand will be rested to prevent injury.
Texans Horror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2006   #6
Texans Horror
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 25 Texans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of Famer

Quote:
Isn't that where all our players get their initial experience?????Or start as the case may be.....
Not necessarily. Many players have played one position and one position only. Also, size and readiness to play might be part of why WInston is the RT. Spencer is a much bigger guy, and is closer to play. Winston is going through the more traditional route; he may not see action (unless injuries play a major factor) for another year or two.
Old 08-24-2006   #7
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 25614 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected

Right now Spencer is a better NFL tackle than Winston. Spencer played LT and LG in college.

In college there are many times that a lineman plays LT simply because he is the best lineman on the team. When some of these players hit the pros, they may be more suited to another line position because of their abilities and the level of competition from opponents and from their teammates for the LT position.

The coaches think they are set with Wand and Spencer at LT and Winston is best suited for RT in our system at this time.

----------------------------------------------

Here is some food for thought. During the season they will probably suit up one back-up tackle on game day. Who will that be?

If Wand starts they have three options:

1) Suit up Spencer as the 3rd best tackle. If Wand goes down, Spencer goes in. If Weigert goes down, put Spencer at RT. I doubt Spencer gets any RT time, so this scenario isn't likely.
2) Suit up Spencer. If Weigert goes down, move Wand to RT and Spencer to LT. This might be the coaches first choice scenario.
3) Dress Winston or Salaam as the swing tackle that backs up both positions. Spencer doesn't suit up on game day. Also a good option.

If Spencer starts, they will dress either Wand, Winston, or Salaam as the swing tackle. Probably Wand.

It is the nature of roster limits on game day - even if Spencer is really pushing for a starting job, he may not even suit up for games.

Last edited by Runner; 08-24-2006 at 10:13 AM.
Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 08-24-2006   #8
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 227821 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to infantrycak

Quote:
I think Charles Spencer has great up side and will be an exccellent player but to my knowledge he has never played the left side before.
Spencer played his junior year at guard (his first OL experience--he had been a DT for two years). He was then moved to LT for his senior year.
Old 08-24-2006   #9
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 75757 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEXANRED
Every one is from college at some point.

Unless your Invincible.

I think the point was he played left tackle, is a left tackle. Spencer was a guard wasn't he?

Of course Pitts was a tackle and is now guard so who knows.
I understand that. I'm going under the assumption that Kubiak believes he needs more coaching. Is he even 2nd string RT yet? Hey, I'm game for giving him a shot during the pre-seasons fourth game. The whole point about what he did in college can be argued to wits end. I'm saying not everyone makes the transition to the NFL easily. From what I've gathered from past articles, he's needing more time than others. Sorry if I pi---- anyone off.
Old 08-24-2006   #10
Texans Horror
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runner
Here is some food for thought. During the season they will probably suit up one back-up tackle on game day. Who will that be?

It is the nature of roster limits on game day - even if Spencer is really pushing for a starting job, he may not even suit up for games.
More interesting to me is the idea that we will probably not dress a third-round draft pick, even though Daniels and Lundy are there. Or will Daniels not be dressed, either?
Old 08-24-2006   #11
TEXANRED
Texan-American

Rep Power: 32564 TEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX
I understand that. I'm going under the assumption that Kubiak believes he needs more coaching. Is he even 2nd string RT yet? Hey, I'm game for giving him a shot during the pre-seasons fourth game. The whole point about what he did in college can be argued to wits end. I'm saying not everyone makes the transition to the NFL easily. From what I've gathered from past articles, he's needing more time than others. Sorry if I pi---- anyone off.
You can't Pee Pee me off. Especially something that trivial. I have been through Carr threads and Vince Young threads and Bush threads and MW threads and back to Carr threads.

I'm a salty vet when it come to stuff like this.

Sorry if you got that impression.

TEXANRED is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2006   #12
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 25614 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by oso
More interesting to me is the idea that we will probably not dress a third-round draft pick, even though Daniels and Lundy are there. Or will Daniels not be dressed, either?
I'm not sure how many TEs they will dress. Last year they did three, sometimes two IIRC.

I like having this problem with depth though, rather than not have any.
Old 08-24-2006   #13
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEXANRED
You can't Pee Pee me off. Especially something that trivial. I have been through Carr threads and Vince Young threads and Bush threads and MW threads and back to Carr threads.

I'm a salty vet when it come to stuff like this.

Sorry if you got that impression.
Cool deal. I still wish him well as I will every Texan on the roster.:bananasplit:
Old 08-24-2006   #14
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 141 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected
Default If it walks like a duck, and talks like a duck....

Quote:
Originally Posted by oso
I suspect Winston is being considered LT mainly for the last preseason game, when Spencer and Wand will be rested to prevent injury.
Agreed. First the scouts did a bang up job this year. The second tier gaurds have played well also. A glaring weakness could become a strength in one off season. Mind boggeling.

I'm also thinking this is the "do we cut Salaam start ?" . If he handles left tackle, then that makes Salaam expendable. Winston, though I wasn't there every day, didn't look like he was up with the rest of the OTs when I saw him. There is a reason Duck with mango salza hasn't been seen in prime time. ...yet. We'll see Satuarday night. Been sayin' since Febuary that knee isn't quite right yet. It's getting there though
threetoedpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2006   #15
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 7857 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

I think we put Winston at RT because of our lack of depth at RT after Weigert. Between the two (Winston and Spencer), Winston probably showed the best stuff at RT. Why try to make Spencer a RT when he shows he can hand LT and you can get him the valuable time he needs there, and then you got Winston who can play RT and give him the time he needs there also.

These guys are going to be worked up and down that line before they settle them in at one spot.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2006   #16
Meloy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 13 Meloy was voted MVPMeloy was voted MVPMeloy was voted MVP

Offensive linemen at each position with potential to start. Most can play more than one position and even back ups look good. Whooee. I hink I love this last draft. Come on David ANderson, I'm rooting for you!!
Meloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2006   #17
noxiousdog
All Pro

Rep Power: 4112 noxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respected

Matt Leinart is a lefty, so wasn't the USC line reversed? (ie, weaker guy on the left?)
noxiousdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2006   #18
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Quote:
Originally Posted by noxiousdog
Matt Leinart is a lefty, so wasn't the USC line reversed? (ie, weaker guy on the left?)
Are you thinking about Winston Justice? Eric Winston went to Miami.
Old 08-24-2006   #19
WILLIEG
Veteran

We still need to pick up another LT in the draft, because Spencer will be better suited as a guard. That's just my opinion based on how much better he is at run blocking than pass protection. Plus with his quick punch it would be beneficial for him to play guard, because it would allow the T to get his head across the defenders body in the zone blocking scheme.
WILLIEG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2006   #20
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Quote:
Originally Posted by WILLIEG
We still need to pick up another LT in the draft, because Spencer will be better suited as a guard.
Even if Spencer converts to guard (a big if), where is our first string LT going?

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read