Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 08-24-2006   #1
Ibar_Harry
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15 Ibar_Harry was voted MVPIbar_Harry was voted MVPIbar_Harry was voted MVP
Default What Kubiak thinks of Carr!!

This is from Lopez's H Chronicle article this evening:

That's the way it should be, but if you think a controversy of sorts is on the horizon, think again.

"(Rosenfels) has got starter ability," Kubiak said. "All the players gravitate toward him, and that's great. It's great for the team. It's great for David. It pushes David every day, and that's why we went and got him."

And the result, said Kubiak: "No buts. David's our starting quarterback. He has to hold up his end of the bargain. When there's a play he's got to make, he's got to make it."

What you have seen in preseason games from Rosenfels has been impressive. What Carr has done not just in games, but day in and day out with Kubiak, Calhoun and Rosenfels constantly pushing, has only further convinced Kubiak of what he thought last winter when evaluating Carr.

"Athletically, he's even more than I thought he was," Kubiak said. "David's an extremely good athlete. There's no doubt about that. It's just a matter of being a pro and playing like a pro back there down in and down out.

"I want to see him do some things this week that he didn't do last week. I want to see him continue to lead this team, for his teammates to believe in him, and for him to gain more confidence. Just grow and grow and grow."

It's not just Carr's reputation and future that are tied to this happy union of him, Kubiak and McNair. If you don't believe the coach and owner are invested as well, then you haven't been paying attention to the real world since, oh, the Paleolithic Era.

--------------------------------------------------

I believe Kubiak is telling us he sees a lot of Elway athleticly in Carr. Carr has not been thinking on his own for a long time, because of the rigidity of the previous staff. Its hard to adlib when you have been programmed not to think for yourself for 4 years. A couple of times he was allowed to call his plays he did well only to be smaked in the face because he was to successful. Carr was a better QB in some ways when he played the 1st game against Dallas. He has to unlearn all that has come since that time.

I'm looking for him to get better and better, and then to explode. He had confidence in that 1st game and now its lacking or questioned. If he gets a few wins under his belt watch out. He won't be a bust for lack of effort. Kubiak nows that, and quite frankly reading between the lines, is hoping that David has not been ruined. He understands more than ever what David has gone through. Kubiak is an extremely bright football mind. He knows the QB position like the back of his hand and he knows he has a diamond in the rough or perhaps even more valueable than that.
Ibar_Harry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2006   #2
davidghall
Rookie

GREAT Post! However, I believe that if Carr were to have major struggles in the first half of the year, Kubiak would not hesitate to make a QB change. I think Carr is the man for this team. He has enough people around him now, and should have an above average year, and be MUCH improved next year. The great thing about Kubiak is that if Carr WERE to end up being a bust, I don't believe Kubiak would hesitate to make the change. From what I can tell, he's going to play the players that are performing, regardless of salary.
davidghall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2006   #3
texan279
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3367 texan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibar_Harry

That's the way it should be, but if you think a controversy of sorts is on the horizon, think again.

"(Rosenfels) has got starter ability," Kubiak said. "All the players gravitate toward him, and that's great. It's great for the team. It's great for David. It pushes David every day, and that's why we went and got him."

And the result, said Kubiak: "No buts. David's our starting quarterback. He has to hold up his end of the bargain. When there's a play he's got to make, he's got to make it."

What you have seen in preseason games from Rosenfels has been impressive. What Carr has done not just in games, but day in and day out with Kubiak, Calhoun and Rosenfels constantly pushing, has only further convinced Kubiak of what he thought last winter when evaluating Carr.

"Athletically, he's even more than I thought he was," Kubiak said. "David's an extremely good athlete. There's no doubt about that. It's just a matter of being a pro and playing like a pro back there down in and down out.

"I want to see him do some things this week that he didn't do last week. I want to see him continue to lead this team, for his teammates to believe in him, and for him to gain more confidence. Just grow and grow and grow."

It's not just Carr's reputation and future that are tied to this happy union of him, Kubiak and McNair. If you don't believe the coach and owner are invested as well, then you haven't been paying attention to the real world since, oh, the Paleolithic Era.

I believe Kubiak is telling us he sees a lot of Elway athleticly in Carr. Carr has not been thinking on his own for a long time, because of the rigidity of the previous staff. Its hard to adlib when you have been programmed not to think for yourself for 4 years. A couple of times he was allowed to call his plays he did well only to be smaked in the face because he was to successful. Carr was a better QB in some ways when he played the 1st game against Dallas. He has to unlearn all that has come since that time.

I'm looking for him to get better and better, and then to explode. He had confidence in that 1st game and now its lacking or questioned. If he gets a few wins under his belt watch out. He won't be a bust for lack of effort. Kubiak nows that, and quite frankly reading between the lines, is hoping that David has not been ruined. He understands more than ever what David has gone through. Kubiak is an extremely bright football mind. He knows the QB position like the back of his hand and he knows he has a diamond in the rough or perhaps even more valueable than that.
Thank you for posting this. Hopefully it will put and end to the 30 page Carr threads. I honestly believe that if Kubiak did not believe Carr was the best QB that someone else would be starting. Kubiak is here to make this team win games.
Old 08-24-2006   #4
Ibar_Harry
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15 Ibar_Harry was voted MVPIbar_Harry was voted MVPIbar_Harry was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidghall
GREAT Post! However, I believe that if Carr were to have major struggles in the first half of the year, Kubiak would not hesitate to make a QB change. I think Carr is the man for this team. He has enough people around him now, and should have an above average year, and be MUCH improved next year. The great thing about Kubiak is that if Carr WERE to end up being a bust, I don't believe Kubiak would hesitate to make the change. From what I can tell, he's going to play the players that are performing, regardless of salary.
To put it another way, Carr has done and continues to do everything Kubiak asks him to do and more to get better. He is busting his a.s for the team. Kubiak knows it and he knows that many of David's problems are also a function of what the team is doing. You will hear Kubiak constantly say "David has to get better and the players have to get better to help David" or words more less to that effect. Again, he is simply saying that he is watching the tape and David should be reacting better in some cases, but part of the problem is the play of other players. David can not make up for every mistake other players make and likewise they can not make up for every mistake he makes. This is a team game and it requires everyone functioning at the same level at the same time to be as successful as they want to be.

They have their eyes set on at least the playoffs and if you don't think that I think you are in for a big surprise. Now, we can debate all night whether they can achieve that, but I will tell you that is their goal, if not higher. I keep saying this team is going to surprise you this year. It has to do with how this team is coming together. They are a TEAM this year.
Ibar_Harry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2006   #5
davidghall
Rookie

Couldn't agree with you more. When the '04 team goes 7-9, how does this team not go 16-0?? No but seriously, I don't think 10-6 is out of the question. I know it's just preseason, but I think preseason play has become UNDERrated. These are still players that are fighting for spots and play games to win, not just to be out on the field. I see us having a slightly above average offense, a slightly above average defense, and an above average record at 9-7, 10-6. This coaching staff will not remind you of Jack Pardee or Dom Capers staring in total disbelief on the sideline. Kubiak is a very smart guy and i'm sure he will have the answers for just about anything the defense throws his way. Don't know too much about the DC Smith, but if Kubiak is ok with him, then so am I. Should be a fun year.
davidghall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2006   #6
tsip
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 13 tsip was voted MVPtsip was voted MVPtsip was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibar_Harry

Kubiak knows a lot more about Carr than he ever did before alright, and I find it 'telling'-while Kubiak thinks Carr is athletic-he never mentions any of his actual QB strengths. Why?

"It's just a matter of being a pro and playing like a pro back there down in and down out."

IMO, that quote says a 'ton,' as does the quote about his team mates believing in him. WOW, this Sunday Night game is gonna be interesting--NFL Network Sunday Game of the Week--kubiak and Shannahan...and Carr's time to 'shine.'
tsip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2006   #7
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 68813 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm going to make a wild guess right now and this is it:

At some point this year, Carr gets benched--not because he sucks, but because he is not improving quite as fast as his back-up. By the end of this year, Carr is back and ESPN can't shut up about his extroardinary comeback. 50 yd. passes on a rope and pin-point perfect. AHEAD of M. Vick on rushing by a QB. LEADERSHIP QUALITIES bragged about, etc., etc. I just got a feeling the light is starting to come on.

Last edited by HJam72; 08-24-2006 at 01:49 AM.
HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 08-24-2006   #8
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 50265 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

no bold predicitions from me regarding this topic, I'm taking a wait and see approach

I would however like to see the Texans aggressively stretch the field with some early deep balls & let David air it out some then come back to the underneath stuff. once he gains his confidence & gets those Broncos off his back maybe he will resemble Elway

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2006   #9
Malloy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 10235 Malloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respected

Of course this is pure speculation from my side, but so are most of the stuff mentioned in these threads. The way I see it, Kubiak has more interests than "just" putting the strongest team on the field. One thing I've been thinking about is the hiring of Kubiak and the role of Carr on this team. It seems to me that Kubiak were hired for several reasons, one being his spoken goal of making Carr great. If Kubiak benches Carr, it would not only show the world that Carr is not up to the task (no, I'm not saying that it will be permanantly!), but it would also prove that Kubiak himself made a mistake and misjudged the situation and Carr.

In my book, for Kubiak to bench Carr, would also mean admitting that he either 1: misjudged the talent (one of the things that landed him the job) or 2: Did not have the coaching abilities to turn Carr around.

Remember, this is just pure speculation, but a valid line of thought.
Old 08-24-2006   #10
WILLIEG
Veteran

I'm not going to gauge our team's level of success on how many "W" we walk away with this year. As long as Carr makes quicker descions, stops staring down his potential targets, and doesn't create sacks for himself then I would be very happy. If he is really learning and growing as a QB, he will continue to make less mistakes and that would show everyone who doubts his abilities to lead this team. The two things I like most about Carr is the size of his heart and the strength of his arm arm. Hopefully he can grow and learn how to put all these intangibles together this year and make for one hell of a QB very soon!
WILLIEG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2006   #11
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 134504 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Links with cut n paste articles please...Ibar, you are a long timer. Links or deletions...you make the call.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2006   #12
STEEL BLUE TEXANS
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10214 STEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respected

http://chron.com/disp/story.mpl/spor...z/4134627.html
STEEL BLUE TEXANS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2006   #13
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 146679 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

The article tells me that Carr still has a ways to go . A dog will hunt or it won't ... the pooch has to come with certain traits . I still see Carr doing things he did last year , ruff ruff .
Old 08-24-2006   #14
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 68813 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

Well, he's also still watching his tail-back whiff on blocks, so that may be a big part of it. We'll see how he does with Morency, who will hopefully block for him like he did for Rosenfels. I think Carr is performing supremely better in practice than in games and, hopefully, that is something that can be corrected, whether it's his fault, others, or, more likely, both.

Old 08-24-2006   #15
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 146679 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HJam72
Well, he's also still watching his tail-back whiff on blocks, so that may be a big part of it. We'll see how he does with Morency, who will hopefully block for him like he did for Rosenfels. I think Carr is performing supremely better in practice than in games and, hopefully, that is something that can be corrected, whether it's his fault, others, or, more likely, both.
This was my translation of the article please don't run in to defend Carr .
Old 08-24-2006   #16
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honoring Earl 34
This was my translation of the article please don't run in to defend Carr .
You can translate all you want and I can add to the conversation all I want. If you don't want to ever be even slightly disagreed with (and it was very slight) then don't post on public message boards. I defend Carr some and I put him down some. It all depends on the context, what's going on, and what people are saying.

To everyone else:

David Carr is the starting QB on this team, whether he should be or not and whether it will continue or not. Don't think you are the only one around who should be allowed to type his name in a sentence. If you don't want to hear about David Carr, and yes I know it gets old sometimes, then go do something else.

Old 08-24-2006   #17
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

The article was the topic not Carr's the starter . I think at some point Kubiak is going to blow his stack ... maybe in Dever .
Old 08-24-2006   #18
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 70276 Marcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honoring Earl 34
The article was the topic not Carr's the starter . I think at some point Kubiak is going to blow his stack ... maybe in Dever .
I can see him blowing his stack, but not Denver. You have to remember this is a homecoming of sorts . . he'll be on his best behavior, no matter how it turns out.

I think he'll blow it later on, though. If Kubiak thinks of himself a patient man, Carr will test it. And another thing . . during the regular season games, if their is any interaction whatosever between Kubiak and Carr, the network will show it. I have my suspicions that the local 13 crew purposely steered away from any sort of exchange between them during last 2 preseason games.

As for Kubiak . . . I can see him getting into some hot water himself during the course of the season, regarding commenting about the players. I know he's a very refreshing change compared to the stiff rehearsed answers that Capers always gave us. But this is his first rodeo. I'm not sure he knows where the limits are.
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2006   #19
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 100421 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by texan279
Thank you for posting this. Hopefully it will put and end to the 30 page Carr threads. I honestly believe that if Kubiak did not believe Carr was the best QB that someone else would be starting. Kubiak is here to make this team win games.
No, I think this thread will be one of those infamous Carr threads.:brickwall
Old 08-24-2006   #20
RiotCommander
All Pro

Send a message via ICQ to RiotCommander Send a message via AIM to RiotCommander

Well if we don't get it done this year with Carr most likely we will get our shot at Quinn in the draft. These Mock draft boards always change constantly. Who would have thought Matt was going to drop to #10, I thought he was the most ready to play in the league right away. Strange that he has to ride the pine, but the Cards do have a chance at the playoffs. Sounds odd saying that.
RiotCommander is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read